PDA

View Full Version : WTF? Air compressor and tire inflation issues

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 11:32 AM
So, I'm having a problem that is really confusing and infuriating me. I can't seem to inflate bike tires with my air compressor. This should be the simplest activity, but I'm failing. :nut: Hoping someone can shed some light, and if not, maybe folks can at least enjoy my failure.

Backstory: I have a shitty cheap Cambell Hausfeld 2 gall compressor. One of the oil-less types. Bought it used for $40. It runs, and holds pressure and works fine with the air-gun attachment. Doesn't appear to leak. As per pic:
http://aircompressors4u.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/twin_CH.324210616_std.jpg

I have a Princess Auto air chuck, which came as part of an accessory kit. As per pic:
http://images11.palcdn.com/hlr-system/WebPhotos/85/857/8574/8574279.jpg

Now, when I attach everything together, and the air compressor is up to pressure, I have no leaks, and things seem good. At this point I feel pretty confident and cool. :bigpimp:

When I press the air chuck onto the bike tire valve, I get the "normal" air leakage when it is on part way, and then there is a slight "thunk" sound as it's pressed fully onto the valve. After that thunk, no air goes anywhere. The tire does not fill. I have tried multiple angles, and both sides of the dual-head air chuck. Always the same. Just in case I'm totally inept, I have had other people try too. Nobody can make it work.

The first time this happened, I assumed that the tire valve was faulty, so I removed and replaced it with a spare valve core I had in my toolbox. Same result. Tired this on six other bike tires, always same result.

Assumed the issue was the cheapo air-chuck, so borrowed one that is "known good" from a relative, and lo and behold, same result. Now I'm getting angry. :banghead:

Borrowed a different air compressor, and lo and behold, it works fine with either air chuck. All six bike tires seem to inflate fine from other compressors.

This makes no sense to me. If my compressor is getting up to pressure just fine (about 100 PSI), how the hell can the air chuck or the valve somehow be effected by the compressor?

What's the guess? Is this a problem with the compressor, the air chuck, the bike valves, or am I just an idiot?

I can for sure buy a better quality air chuck, and I actually might be buying a new compressor soon anyway, but if I can put that off, I'd like to wait.

Anyone have any idea what the fuck is happening here?:whipped:

revelations
07-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Dumb question, can you blow air with the nozzle?

lilmira
07-18-2016, 12:12 PM
dumb question, did you adjust the regulator?

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 12:13 PM
A good place to start, and yes, I can blow air with the air gun, no issues, and with the tire chuck, if I depress the valve in it with a tool, it blows air just fine.

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 12:14 PM
I adjusted the regulator down to around 45 PSI (since that was what I wanted the bike tires to get to), and I also tried it up around 90 PSI.

lilmira
07-18-2016, 12:17 PM
any chance that the pressure in the bike tire is already way higher?

what kind of bike tire is that? shrader valve or presta valve?

birdman86
07-18-2016, 12:20 PM
Hate to be the guy to ask the dumb question, but have you threaded the valve core out (if it's a presta)?

C_Dave45
07-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by birdman86
Hate to be the guy to ask the dumb question, but have you threaded the valve core out (if it's a presta)?
That's what I was gonna say.

http://antranik.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/presta_vs_schrader.jpg

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/wheels-tires/295869d1190136998-presta-valve-cores-removable-presta-y-n.jpg

http://antranik.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/presta-valve-vs-schrader.jpg

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 01:19 PM
It's what I would call a "regular" air valve. I have the same kind on every car I've ever owned, plus my trailer, about ten bikes I've had in my life, and even a bike trailer.

So I guess by those pictures, it's a schraeder? :dunno: I'm not willing to rule anything out at this point, but I do feel somewhat confident this isn't a presta valve.

And to the multiple posters that "hate to ask a dumb question" don't worry about it. It's hgard to be dumber than the guy who can't put air in his bike tires.
:rolleyes:

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
any chance that the pressure in the bike tire is already way higher? Pressure inside tire is 10 PSI or lower. I can squish the tire to the rim with my thumb, and I'm not strong.

JustinL
07-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Can you get a pressure gauge on the tire? If you can't get a reading with a pressure gauge, then it might narrow down the problem to the valve.

suntan
07-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Leaky tube?

blitz
07-18-2016, 02:13 PM
If everything works fine when used with another compressor, than it has to be your compressor that's fucked. I'm guessing the regulator is toast and not even putting out the 10psi that the tire has in it at the moment.

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Have had this issue on more than one bike tire, and have had no issues getting an air pressure reading on each. Strongly suspect this isn't a valve issue, but not willing to rule anything out yet.

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Leaky tube? Not sure how that would cause the issues I'm describing.

Originally posted by blitz
If everything works fine when used with another compressor, than it has to be your compressor that's fucked. I'm guessing the regulator is toast and not even putting out the 10psi that the tire has in it at the moment.
Yeah, somehow maybe it is the compressor that is fucked. Seems to have plenty of pressure when used with a blow guy. I feel like I'd notice if it wasn't putting out pressure, wouldn't I?

YamahaV8
07-18-2016, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Pressure inside tire is 10 PSI or lower. I can squish the tire to the rim with my thumb, and I'm not strong.

If the pressure in the tire is too low then you may be compressing the valve in the tire but not off seating the valve in the chuck. If the pressure is 10psi in the tire try setting your compressor regulator to 20psi and see if it takes some air then. If it does then work your way up from there. I have this problem on aircraft tires sometimes. Sounds like a shitty chuck to me but if it works on other compressors then :dunno:

16hypen3sp
07-18-2016, 05:47 PM
I had a similar issue! What I do to get around it is, take your air chuck and lightly press it against the valve on the stem. Try a quiet environment so you can hear if the air is going in and you will find the sweet spot.

I would always press hard with the chuck and each and every time I did, air wouldn't go in. I would hear a 'click' like the chuck valve was slipping off the stem valve. But when I fill my bicycle tires now, I just lightly press, find the sweet spot and BOOM! tire inflates!

suntan
07-18-2016, 06:04 PM
ExtraSlow is fast becoming the new Mar.

The_Penguin
07-18-2016, 06:28 PM

ouch.

ExtraSlow
07-18-2016, 07:29 PM

I like that! If I could afford a veloster with a trailer hitch, I'd be there!

raceman6135
07-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Have you successfully added air to this specific tire/tube assembly before? If so, have a very close look at that compressor/hose/chuck set up and compare it to your CH/PA set up for any differences.

My guess is that 16hypen is on the right track with his "sweet spot" theory. I have the same problem with small Schrader valves on my hand cart (truck, dolly, whatever).

kaput
07-18-2016, 09:53 PM

codetrap
07-18-2016, 10:13 PM

mr2mike
07-19-2016, 07:32 AM
...and I'm not strong.
Dumb question but have you tried lifting, bro?

My guess, regulator is messed up on the compressor. Or the gauge isn't reading correct.

ExtraSlow
08-12-2016, 02:27 PM
Happy to see that me being shitty and inept is winning the poll. Thought I would give a little update.

So, I may have more than one problem (aside from limited mental capacity). Bought a new air chuck / infalator end, and the new one works pretty good with my current compressor. Actually still trying to buy a larger tanked air compressor too, but have had a little shipping issue with amazon, and I need to get that resolved before I spend any more money.

Khyron
08-12-2016, 02:57 PM
As someone with a lot of bicycles, get a good floor/hand pump. Way more convenient, quiet, and faster.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5014-149/Zephyr-Pro-Team-Floor-Pump

Get a good one with a gauge, but doesn't need to be 100$.

tirebob
08-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Happy to see that me being shitty and inept is winning the poll. Thought I would give a little update.

So, I may have more than one problem (aside from limited mental capacity). Bought a new air chuck / infalator end, and the new one works pretty good with my current compressor. Actually still trying to buy a larger tanked air compressor too, but have had a little shipping issue with amazon, and I need to get that resolved before I spend any more money. Sometimes if you have a bit of a faulty valve where the inner threaded portion for the valve core is threaded through too far, the core is a little too deep for the air chuck to open fully and the air cannot get by. See it once in a while with car tire valves...