PDA

View Full Version : Spyware on my mac??

VWEvo
08-02-2016, 05:20 AM
So my online banking has had someone reset the password and attempt to make etransfers from my account twice this weekend. RBC got alerted both times, and notified me. They did cancel the transaction. However, RBC suggested there may be Spyware on my computers and advised me to have it scanned and checked. I went to the Apple store on Saturday, and the employee told me its likely impossible for my macbook to have spyware. Only thing is, this weekend, I haven't used anything but my macbook and my account was jacked again.

What software, or whom exactly can i have check my macbook to ensure there is no spyware or malware on this computer.

RBC also, said that someone has phoned in and correctly answered all of my security questions as well. I'm totally freaked out right now:barf:

Zhariak
08-02-2016, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo
So my online banking has had someone reset the password and attempt to make etransfers from my account twice this weekend. RBC got alerted both times, and notified me. They did cancel the transaction. However, RBC suggested there may be Spyware on my computers and advised me to have it scanned and checked. I went to the Apple store on Saturday, and the employee told me its likely impossible for my macbook to have spyware. Only thing is, this weekend, I haven't used anything but my macbook and my account was jacked again.

What software, or whom exactly can i have check my macbook to ensure there is no spyware or malware on this computer.

RBC also, said that someone has phoned in and correctly answered all of my security questions as well. I'm totally freaked out right now:barf:

Don't know enough about Macs to recommend AV, but if I was in your position at this point, I'd just format the laptop and start fresh, re-install the OS.

And totally Macs can have viruses and spyware.

At the same time to, if you've used those credentials for your bank on any other online services, there's always the possibility that one of those sites were compromised. In the last 30-60 days, numerous announcements have been made of sites being compromised and DB dumps of user/pass combo's have been uploaded.

Also, if you use any proxy services, VPN services, or any type of redirection services, that could also be how your credentials were compromised (keep in mind it forwards ALL your traffic through a 3rd party, which makes it easy for a man-in-the-middle type attack). This could also hold true if you've used anyone's Wifi... While you're not necessarily at risk using commercial open wifi, you are if you by chance connect to someone's personal wifi, if they have it setup to sniff credentials (yes, even using SSL/HTTPS, if they are redirecting through a transparent HTTP/HTTPS proxy).

Anddddddd there's also always the chance it's someone you know... Ex girlfriend? Friend? Anyone who you may have shared this stuff with... Think of anyone who may have access to your e-mail, etc...

revelations
08-02-2016, 08:58 AM
What version/how old is your Mac?

Do you have popups when you use Safari ?

Seth1968
08-02-2016, 08:59 AM

First of all, the Apple genius employee (that's what they call themselves) is just a propaganda monkey. His /her comments of your Apple computer being magically impervious to infection, is just plain ignorant of how computer infections work.

With that said, there are basically only 2 ways that someone could get all of that personal info like your password and the answers to your security questions.

1) You have a key logger on your computer, and it has been there since you set up your online bank credentials.

2) It's an RBC employee that has access to all of your security info.

blairtruck
08-02-2016, 09:40 AM
The reason it used to be no spyware or viruses on Mac cause it was like 2% of PCs if that. So why waste your time making a virus for no one. Now with everyone going to Mac they are gaining ground on winPC and it's actually worth the time to hit macs now.

Seth1968
08-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck
The reason it used to be no spyware or viruses on Mac cause it was like 2% of PCs if that. So why waste your time making a virus for no one. Now with everyone going to Mac they are gaining ground on winPC and it's actually worth the time to hit macs now.

Ding Ding Ding

Mitsu3000gt
08-02-2016, 09:47 AM
The guy at the Apple store is an idiot and you should most definitely not be paying them to be doing anything if they don't even have the most basic knowledge of their products.

Can you not go down to RBC with your ID and get them to reset all your online credentials? Then format the computer.

killramos
08-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Seems like its far more likely OP has been caught in a phishing attempt... Perhaps in combination with his reusing passwords and questions on other websites that have been compromised. Could have gotten him months or years ago and they are only now trying to get access to his account.

OP work with RBC to change passwords and questions / answers for everything and perhaps dump your email address used with your bank ( or at least start using a new one for important things like banking that you don't give out).

As for mac antivirus ClamXAV isn't bad and available on the app store now i believe ( in all of its apple signed goodness ). I think Avast has an OSX offering as well.

While Mac's aren't impervious to viruses per se there is a fairly limited number of attacks that are generally identified fairly quickly, your OS does a good job identifying and blocking them if you keep up on your security updates and the native sandboxing of apps helps a bunch. In that sense i do generally agree with the "genius" that it is pretty unlikely you have a virus on your mac.

Do you install alot of shady third party plug ins or applications or do you stick to the app store? For more security you always have the option of not letting third party code not signed by the app store be executed. Super irritating way of using your computer but it is fairly secure. You always have the format/resetup option if you are convinced it is malicious software on your mac causing the issue.

Seth1968
08-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Seems like its far more likely OP has been caught in a phishing attempt... Perhaps in combination with his reusing passwords and questions on other websites that have been compromised.

Perhaps many things Kill, but your suggestion doesn't equate with the OP's statement of:

that someone has phoned in and correctly answered all of my security questions as well.

I don't think I need to explain that any further.

Now who has access to ALL of our bank security info? Well, thousands of desperate off the street phone support people.

Seth1968
08-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by killramos

While Mac's aren't impervious to viruses per se there is a fairly limited number of attacks that are generally identified fairly quickly, your OS does a good job identifying and blocking them if you keep up on your security updates and the native sandboxing of apps helps a bunch. In that sense i do generally agree with the "genius" that it is pretty unlikely you have a virus on your mac.

Do you install alot of shady third party plug ins or applications or do you stick to the app store? For more security you always have the option of not letting third party code not signed by the app store be executed. Super irritating way of using your computer but it is fairly secure. You always have the format/resetup option if you are convinced it is malicious software on your mac causing the issue.

I'm not really sure where to begin on how all of that is wrong.

VWEvo
08-02-2016, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

As for Phishing, we are usually pretty meticulous, and don't every give any of our personal info out. RBC didn't disclose exactly what the security questions that were asked as the rep that answers the phone usually looks at our account and asks questions based on that. I'm not even sure our computers have been compromised but i just want to take precaution.

Can anyone recommend any specific software to do a virus/spyware scan?

killramos
08-03-2016, 06:53 AM

https://www.clamxav.com/download.html

https://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-mac-security

I have run ClamXAV on my macs in the past, can't say they ever picked anything up in ~8 years of use on my various macs. It has always received good reviews though. I mostly kept it to avoid potentially infecting Windows users with a file that was benign to Macs when working on products across multiple platforms.

On my windows computers I have been running avast just as long. It picks up active or hidden viruses all the time :rolleyes: . So I am sure their mac product works fine, its not rocket science.

Clam is a trial ( used to be free so the paid product must be new ). Avast is just free ( they usually have an unnecessary paid tier ).

Aside from that I am sure the usual subjects like Norton or AVG :barf: offer virus scanning products for a fee.

Some reviews, sounds like Avira is quite good now as well. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/avast-free-antivirus-mac,review-2342.html

Seth1968
08-03-2016, 07:45 AM

http://www.eset.com/us/products/cyber-security/

revelations
08-03-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm not even sure our computers have been compromised but i just want to take precaution.

Unlike Windows, I've found that Macs dont generally do well with a LIVE program that scans each file with the system in use.

Therefore a one time scanner is your best option IMO.

Also, if you have a latest system with all the updates pushed through, it is highly unlikely that you have anything malicious on OSX.

Safari is another story though -> esp if you get popups.

Other sources include - esp if you have emails through Shaw/Telus - phising (as mentioned above).

Seth1968
08-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Most of the Apple and Windows infections I see are browser hijacks. Fortunately, they're easy to remove just by resetting the browser.

At this time Window's does get a lot more PUPs, but they can be easily removed via programs and Features.

Up until about 1.5 years ago, I had never seen an infection on a Mac. Now, I see about 1 a week. For the most part, the infections have been the Mac version of the fake alert (with phone number) scam.

asd913
08-03-2016, 11:57 AM
https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/