PDA

View Full Version : RIP Kenny Baker, the original R2D2

Vagabond142
08-13-2016, 12:47 PM
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37072736

Age 81, from a long illness :(

British actor Kenny Baker, who starred as R2-D2 in six Star Wars films, has died aged 81 after a long illness, his niece has confirmed.
Baker became a household name in 1977 when he took on the role of the robot in the first Star Wars film alongside Anthony Daniels's C-3PO character.
He went on to appear in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, as well as the three prequels.
Born in Birmingham, Baker's other films include Time Bandits and Flash Gordon.
His agent Johnny Mans said the actor had been ill for a couple of years, and had been cared for by his nephew.
ADVERTISEMENT

"He will be sadly missed," said Mans.
Daniel Logan tweet: Image copyrightDANIEL LOGAN/TWITTER
The 3ft 8in (1.12m) actor began performing in 1950 at the age of 16, working as a circus clown and in pantomime.
Baker initially turned down the role of mischievous droid R2-D2, famous for his whistles and beeps. In an interview on his website he recalled telling the film's creator George Lucas: "I don't want to be stuck in a robot, what for, for goodness' sake?
'Like a boiled egg'
He added: "I said, 'I'll help you out, I'll do you a favour.' George said, 'You've got to do it, we can't find anyone else. You're small, to get into it [the costume], and you're strong enough to be able to move in it,' - and they couldn't use kids.
"I could work all hours, so I was a godsend to them. They'd made the robot in rough form and I was the only one around at the time that was just right for it.
"I got into it and they put the lid on me like a boiled egg."
In another interview, Baker said Sir Alec Guinness's decision to appear in Star Wars convinced him to sign up.
"I thought if Alec Guinness is in it, he knows more than I do about filming, that's for sure. It must be a decent film otherwise he wouldn't be in it."
Ewan McGregor, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the three Star Wars prequels, said on Twitter: "So sorry to hear about this. It was lovely working with Kenny."
The studio behind the original Star Wars films, 20th Century Fox, tweeted a still of R2-D2 and C-3PO and said: "Rest in peace, Kenny Baker, the heart and soul of R2-D2."