PDA

View Full Version : Autocross in Calgary! Sat. Aug. 20, 2016 - SASC YYC Event #2

reijo
08-15-2016, 06:33 PM
YYC2!

Yep, this coming Saturday ... Aug. 20. LImited to 80 entries (75 last time and it filled quickly).

www.msreg.com/YYC2

Tom Fitz has said he is coming out with more camera equipment for better video this time too.

The course is half designed now ... this time designed specifically for this venue ... :)

See you there!

Reijo

Joe-G
08-15-2016, 11:13 PM
That was quick... already at 60 entries as of tonight.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Registered, suspect my car will break the noise limit unfortunately...

Sugarphreak
08-16-2016, 09:24 PM

reijo
08-16-2016, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Registered, suspect my car will break the noise limit unfortunately...

Come prepared to do something about it ... a Super Trapp, downturn pipe, whatever you can think of ...

R

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by reijo

Come prepared to do something about it ... a Super Trapp, downturn pipe, whatever you can think of ...

R

Unfortunately nothing I can do about it for this car without a different exhaust, I will just have to leave if it's over the limit.

A2VR6
08-16-2016, 11:26 PM

Unfortunately nothing I can do about it for this car without a different exhaust, I will just have to leave if it's over the limit.

Drive part throttle through the whole course? :rofl: (hey, it would work!)

Darkane
08-17-2016, 09:01 AM

R

Although this is good advice, part throttle will be your best bet.

R - are there any sort of soft rules for BONE STOCK cars that may potentially break the DB rating?

Cheers.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-17-2016, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6

Drive part throttle through the whole course? :rofl: (hey, it would work!)

I think my car is actually louder at part throttle than wide open throttle because at least under boost the turbo muffles it a bit more haha!

Stupid Subarus...I need another racecar.

reijo
08-17-2016, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Although this is good advice, part throttle will be your best bet.

R - are there any sort of soft rules for BONE STOCK cars that may potentially break the DB rating?

Cheers.

The rule is pretty straight in that you have a reading from the sound meter and that is it. The meter is set to "slow" setting (otherwise we would have a lot of vehicles over), 50' perpendicular to where the cars will be passing by (conceivably located where they would be at full throttle), at a height of 3-4', ANSI B (?) std.,

Bone stock cars blowing over? Yes, the Corvettes with the flaps opening in the exhaust will blow over and I know there are at least a couple of locals who have fixed them shut and I believe one other car that I don't recall. That is one option on some high perf. cars currently available that can be fixed fairly easily from what I understand. I know Tom will be there with his 'vette and has done that to his.

BTW, I like loud exhausts too (pleasant ones that is .. unlike, say, an open exhaust rotary which can be really shrill and just plain noisey), however, we have the issue of losing sites due to loud exhausts (one of the key reasons). But there is also the damage to our ears that we can do via the loud exhaust ... and I mean the workers on the course.

I have an Invidia cat-back exhaust (stock cat is still there) on my street S2000 and it has a removable cap on the end ... which lowers the db. by about 2-3 db making it easily "legal". Without the cap, it has blown aruond 92.5-92.8 db. as per SCCA regs at San Diego numerous times. There is some variation with weather/ambient conditions.

However the exhaust without the cap I find just plain annoying on the street and highway because I have a hard time hearing the stereo since it is "so" loud (even with the convertible top up). And, like I said above, it has been measured almost exactly at the limit of 93 db. (or rather just under). So, really in the real world, why would you want to "live" with such a loud exhaust anyway? I also realize when I was younger I preferred louder exhaust than I do currently but maybe some of that was the lower tone of a V-8 exhaust instead of my 9000 rpm S2k? :)

Remember also, that once your ears are damaged (all you rock 'n rollers), they do not heal. Hearing loss is permanent. Even work places have health regulations for loud environments, ear protection, etc.

So, you might say, in a number of ways, sound limits make a bunch of sense. At least that is the way I see it fwiw.

Does that make sense?

I am also thinking of bringing my car out so we can use it to test the sound meter and the lot environment since I have used it repeatedly over the years at various SCCA events and normally record 92.5-93 db. I do not recall it ever being above and have never had to modify the exhaust so it would be a good measuring stick.

DannyO
08-17-2016, 09:36 AM
How secure are these spots since they are almost full? I need to buy a new helmet and won't know if I could come till later today. How many runs are expected each? As with the time and 75 drivers, sounds like it would be about 5 runs each.

Really want to do this, it's been too long since I was last out.

reijo
08-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by DannyO
How secure are these spots since they are almost full? I need to buy a new helmet and won't know if I could come till later today. How many runs are expected each? As with the time and 75 drivers, sounds like it would be about 5 runs each.

Really want to do this, it's been too long since I was last out.

The lot is big enough that the course does not lap back on itself. That means we can easily send cars 30 sec. apart and we even tried 20 seconds apart just like the big US/SCCA events.

Last time with 75 we had 9 runs each. We would like to finish earlier this time so maybe 6-8 runs ...

We also have loaner helmets although they were in high demand ... so better if you bring your own Snell (must be Snell NOT DOT only) rated helmet.

Reijo

Joe-G
08-17-2016, 02:11 PM

I think my car is actually louder at part throttle than wide open throttle because at least under boost the turbo muffles it a bit more haha!

Stupid Subarus...I need another racecar.

Ill bring a coffee mug, a hack saw, and some duct tape... think we could make it work?!? lol :rofl:

Sugarphreak
08-17-2016, 02:57 PM

Stuart
08-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I've got some thermal insulation we can shove in the exhaust pipe... that will quite it down! :D

At US nationals I saw a car that used wire to hold a wet towel around the end of the exhaust with someone soaking it before the car was started. Also another car tried stuffing the end with steel wool but that turned out real bad.

reijo
08-17-2016, 03:22 PM
https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/brand/supertrapp

R

DannyO
08-17-2016, 05:13 PM
Went and bought a new helmet and signed up. :D Looking forward to this.

94boosted
08-17-2016, 09:40 PM

Bone stock cars blowing over? Yes, the Corvettes with the flaps opening in the exhaust will blow over and I know there are at least a couple of locals who have fixed them shut and I believe one other car that I don't recall. That is one option on some high perf. cars currently available that can be fixed fairly easily from what I understand. I know Tom will be there with his 'vette and has done that to his.

Driving a different corvette this weekend ;)

I only blow over because my exhaust isn't stock, I think stock vettes even with the factory performance exhaust are typically fine. The ZR1 at the last event didn't have a stock exhaust either.

rage2
08-19-2016, 10:20 PM
Decided to run the RC-F tomorrow. No clue how to change the registration to switch cars, so it's still showing the GLA. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

Sugarphreak
08-19-2016, 10:37 PM

rage2
08-19-2016, 10:50 PM
^^^ RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE RIDE...

...I mean... do you mind if I have a ride with you.... :D

Sweet, Gwynn is bringing out his Toyota X-Runner (Pickup Truck)... that is awesome to watch run!
Sure, if you don't mind 3 people in the car. :)

BerserkerCatSplat
08-19-2016, 10:53 PM
I'll be spectating, should be fun to see the guys run.

A2VR6
08-19-2016, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Decided to run the RC-F tomorrow. No clue how to change the registration to switch cars, so it's still showing the GLA. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

Not an issue. We'll change it when you register tomorrow.

Darkane
08-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Where can we go view the time from today's runs?

Sugarphreak
08-20-2016, 05:51 PM

zieg
08-20-2016, 06:24 PM
Awesome day! So glad to see such a turnout for an event right in town. Very much hoping it continues!

Can't wait to see those pics/vids, I assume they will be linked here?

Here's my best run of the afternoon, with a passenger too (Also, any input for where I might be leaving time on the table would be much appreciated!)

Q1fK1mMDJrQ

Joe-G
08-20-2016, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by zieg
Awesome day! So glad to see such a turnout for an event right in town. Very much hoping it continues!

Can't wait to see those pics/vids, I assume they will be linked here?

Here's my best run of the afternoon, with a passenger too (Also, any input for where I might be leaving time on the table would be much appreciated!)

Was that a 50.929 sec run? I don't have much advice to contribute, but it seems like you already have some pretty smooth lines?

Heres my best from the afternoon if you want to compare!

vESwXIRkHzM

Edit: Heres my best morning as well

gQUxuoiJ_PU

Sugarphreak
08-20-2016, 06:49 PM

Darkane
08-20-2016, 07:09 PM
First time ever 46.08 for me.

Shitty thing is I'll never be able to run balls out WOT because I blew over so bad. I think my car bone stock with proper alignment and tire pressure with an experienced driver can hit 44 or better.

My accelerometer said 1.14g right and 1.05g left on MPSS at 35psi cold.

zieg
08-20-2016, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G

Was that a 50.929 sec run?

Yup, good eye. Nice runs there, seems like you're able to hang on to the corners very well. Mind if I ask what you have for suspension/tires?

Joe-G
08-20-2016, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by zieg

Yup, good eye. Nice runs there, seems like you're able to hang on to the corners very well. Mind if I ask what you have for suspension/tires?

No problem, I'm on TRD lowering springs and 255/40/17 Nitto NT01.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-20-2016, 07:25 PM
First time ever 46.08 for me.

Shitty thing is I'll never be able to run balls out WOT because I blew over so bad. I think my car bone stock with proper alignment and tire pressure with an experienced driver can hit 44 or better.

My accelerometer said 1.14g right and 1.05g left on MPSS at 35psi cold.

Oh you had the GT350! I rode with you for your first run. I want one haha.

Sugarphreak
08-20-2016, 07:26 PM

xnvy
08-20-2016, 07:30 PM
AcuaAsccx3o

My driving is disgustingly horrible. But this run was a massive improvement on the previous 3.

Darkane
08-20-2016, 07:48 PM

Oh you had the GT350! I rode with you for your first run. I want one haha.

Oh hi there. Thanks for the ride along. I got 7 seconds better in three runs lol.

Yeah we blew 94.5 that first run :(

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-20-2016, 07:59 PM
I can't believe the stock exhaust is that loud. You were quite smooth for a relatively new auto x guy which is great to see!

rage2
08-20-2016, 08:00 PM
My accelerometer map for his afternoon. Forgot to get a pic of the morning one but it was much nicer full circle mostly because of track design.

http://i.imgur.com/g6sXMd0.jpg

Darkane
08-20-2016, 08:07 PM
My accelerometer map for his afternoon. Forgot to get a pic of the morning one but it was much nicer full circle mostly because of track design.

Rolls in and steals my accelerometer thunder lol!

Nice work man.

Darkane
08-20-2016, 08:11 PM
I can't believe the stock exhaust is that loud. You were quite smooth for a relatively new auto x guy which is great to see!

Thanks a lot.

Even crazier is the GT350R. Ford deletes the resonators from the factory. We're talking 96-97Db.

k1l4m
08-20-2016, 08:12 PM

Your RC F looked like it was reaching some high speeds on the straight after the turn around in the afternoon compared to other cars in your group. Love the colour too.

rage2
08-20-2016, 08:34 PM

Rolls in and steals my accelerometer thunder lol!

Nice work man.
Haha thx. I'm doing drive by postings here didn't see your post. My bad!

I only got 1 in car vid and its of a terrible run smacking 2 cones and going too slow in the SW corner of the course but I'll post it up later once I get home. My best times weren't clean runs at all today. I'm not as good as I used to be. Getting old. :(

I was pleasantly surprised at the RC-Fs performance for most of the day. Drove the car with the throttle, so much fun. Wasn't until my last 2 runs where the rears warmed up and got grippy and couldn't rotate the car anymore and was nailing the same cone over and over again on the west side of the track.

Redlined_8000
08-20-2016, 08:51 PM
So what happened with the 1990s green track mustang that spun out two times off course and had excessive tire squealing drifting like crazy? Nothing?

rage2
08-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by k1l4m
Your RC F looked like it was reaching some high speeds on the straight after the turn around in the afternoon compared to other cars in your group. Love the colour too.
Thanks man. I took a funky line there to maximize speed, as soon as I cleared the last cone I went wide outside of the white lines and WOT. Lots of room there to line up the car for the next left with tons of speed. Only saw a people doing that, oddly enough. Not sure if that's even the fastest way around that section.

Here's my 52.1 run with 2 cones. :cry: You can see the line I'm talking about.

jw2sDzfOMFw

Really wished I had a clean run. I think the car had a 44.5 in her in the morning and low 51s in the afternoon. Now I'm curious what the car can do on RE71Rs. Maybe even give Sugarphreak a run on raw times.

Sugarphreak
08-20-2016, 10:35 PM

S-FLY
08-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Well I guess if everybody else is doing it....

Here's my best afternoon run, 47.711. Still lots of learn about the sport and the car.

ybnQdIslshM

rage2
08-21-2016, 12:08 AM
Some random clips shot by my kid.

s6XeO_ZRs5o

rage2
08-21-2016, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by S-FLY
Here's my best afternoon run, 47.711. Still lots of learn about the sport and the car.
Your car was my favorite one out there. So badass!

http://i.imgur.com/Cse78Kp.jpg

S-FLY
08-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Not mine, belongs to my friend Ryan. You're welcome to come for a ride along.

xnvy
08-21-2016, 10:21 AM
^You're always in the other run group though. I wanted to ask last time haha

D'z Nutz
08-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Fuck! I was free all day too. I would have loved to have come by to watch and take photos.

Sugarphreak
08-21-2016, 11:00 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
08-21-2016, 11:03 AM

We actually had a camera person on site taking video, but he got in a heated argument with one of the marshals when they asked him to move to a safer area, packed up and left

Kind of sucks, but what can you do. Safety is a top priority out there

Oh shit, really? I've been relocated while shooting races before and it's a bit annoying but certainly not reason to pitch a fit. I wasn't sure what your photo regs were so I didn't bring my photo gear either. I'll have to haul it out next time.

zieg
08-21-2016, 11:05 AM
Aww man, I was really looking forward to seeing that. :(

Sugarphreak
08-21-2016, 11:50 AM

xnvy
08-21-2016, 11:58 AM
Was it in the afternoon? I didn't see the cameras set up anymore. It can get sketchy out there. Running sound in the afternoon we had a couple close calls with cars overshooting the corner behind us and coming straight at us from behind which we didn't notice until too late because we were busy measuring sound.

Sugarphreak
08-21-2016, 12:03 PM

turbojohnsrt4gt
08-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Any more auto x at this location again this year?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by turbojohnsrt4gt
Any more auto x at this location again this year?

One more event this year, in October I think?

A2VR6
08-21-2016, 02:42 PM

One more event this year, in October I think?

There will be 2 more... Sept 25 and Oct 8.

turbojohnsrt4gt
08-21-2016, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

There will be 2 more... Sept 25 and Oct 8.

Thank you :thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-21-2016, 06:05 PM
I'd like to make it out to both.

dansmith11
08-22-2016, 07:27 AM
I was at the marshalling station where we asked the camera guy to move.

He had no spotter. He had his back to the cars with his face buried in his camera trying to setup a shot for an up coming corner. and he was standing in a spot where we had seen 2 cars go off course and go sliding through earlier in the day.

so we just asked him to move, and he started yelling about how he cant do his f-in job and he's so sick of us and so on.. so i'm thinking other marshals may have had to ask him to move/be more careful earlier in the day as well.

oh, and if camera guy is on here or somehow reads this.. just a quick FYI. not 5 minutes after we asked you to move.. another car went flying through that EXACT spot you were standing again.

so uh, you're welcome. ;)

:drama:

94boosted
08-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
So what happened with the 1990s green track mustang that spun out two times off course and had excessive tire squealing drifting like crazy? Nothing?

This was just brought to our attention yesterday and today, we're looking into it and discussing.

We actually had a camera person on site taking video, but he got in a heated argument with one of the marshals when they asked him to move to a safer area, packed up and left

Kind of sucks, but what can you do. Safety is a top priority out there

Originally posted by dansmith11
I was at the marshalling station where we asked the camera guy to move.

He had no spotter. He had his back to the cars with his face buried in his camera trying to setup a shot for an up coming corner. and he was standing in a spot where we had seen 2 cars go off course and go sliding through earlier in the day.

so we just asked him to move, and he started yelling about how he cant do his f-in job and he's so sick of us and so on.. so i'm thinking other marshals may have had to ask him to move/be more careful earlier in the day as well.

oh, and if camera guy is on here or somehow reads this.. just a quick FYI. not 5 minutes after we asked you to move.. another car went flying through that EXACT spot you were standing again.

so uh, you're welcome. ;)

:drama:

The marshals at that station absolutely made the right call, safety comes first. When something goes wrong things happen very fast.

Sprockett
08-22-2016, 03:48 PM
I might add that I also noticed camera equipment on tri-pods setup in potentially dangerous locations. While no human would get hurt, I personally would not appreciate turning what should be spinning off harmlessly turning into real damage to my car. I don't think that would be fair to the driver if an incident occurred.

Zero102
08-22-2016, 04:34 PM
I was wondering why the camera guy left so aggressively. I saw him coming down the back side while a guy was coming through the finish and instead of waiting for the on-car course to finish he came flying right up to him before slowing down. I thought it was pretty reckless.

On the topic of safety, in the afternoon I had one close call where the V70R came between 2 cone walls straight at me while I went through the slalom. I had to let off the throttle because of it but I still managed my fastest run of the day and wasn't sure I could do it again so I didn't complain. That decreasing radius corner caused a lot of people to run wide and it might be nice to keep elements like that a little further away from the rest of the course in the future please :)

http://i.imgur.com/BaIqz8b.jpg

I can't believe I managed a 10th place PAX finish with so many good competitors (and fast cars)! It was just about impossible to find grip in the morning but by the afternoon the course was clean enough to really throw the car around. Of course there is some pride in beating rage2 in his sweet Lexus with my Focus both in PAX and in RAW.

As for the green mustang who was drifting a bit, err, okay, quite a lot, that's Dan and/or Josh. If the need comes up to contact them and you don't have their information I can pass that along.

reijo
08-22-2016, 07:47 PM
By the way, photos I took are here:

https://20160820sascyyc2.shutterfly.com/pictures/403#389

R

rage2
08-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I can't believe I managed a 10th place PAX finish with so many good competitors (and fast cars)! It was just about impossible to find grip in the morning but by the afternoon the course was clean enough to really throw the car around.
Great work! Funny about the grip level between morning and afternoon, my car was sooooo much more fun in the morning, it rotated 1000x better with a lack of grip and really tested my patience with the throttle to get it to rotate just right. In the afternoon, even though the car was faster, it just wasn't as much fun because I was battling understeer in several places where throttle just understeered more, and in other places I could put the power down hard to rotate the car ever so slightly. I'm still surprised how well the RC-F ran, although I did spend a shit ton of time and money at the alignment shop street tweaking the damn setup to get it to be "fun" and not crap that the RC-F is out of the box.

Originally posted by Zero102
Of course there is some pride in beating rage2 in his sweet Lexus with my Focus both in PAX and in RAW.
I should add elderly abuse as one of our forum rules. :cry:

I know I'm just telling myself I'm doing this for fun, but I did go on tirerack after event 2 and found that the RE71Rs are available in the RC-F OEM sizes. :rofl:

Almost want to run those as my street tires when these PSS's wear out.

zieg
08-22-2016, 10:56 PM
Check costco first, you might be surprised.

Zero102
08-22-2016, 11:56 PM

I should add elderly abuse as one of our forum rules. :cry:

I know I'm just telling myself I'm doing this for fun, but I did go on tirerack after event 2 and found that the RE71Rs are available in the RC-F OEM sizes. :rofl:

Elder abuse? I've got to be close to the same age as you! Age is just a state of mind anyway :) I think there is also some benefit in racing a $1000 car that you aren't afraid to damage or lose.
As for tires, I was running some 2013 R-S3s on the front and 3-year (and 3-winters out on the street...) non-S Rivals on the back for that event. I am a huge fan of the R-S3s but I fully admit the RE-71Rs are faster and if I could afford them I would be running them instead. The only reason I'm still on R-S3s is that I managed to pick up a 2013 set of R-S3s for a really reasonable price a couple weeks back when I wore out the 2014 stock R-S3s that I had on there.

I'll echo the suggestion about checking Costco for the RE-71Rs, in certain sizes they do carry stock and when they have them they are one of the most affordable places to get a set!

All of this aside, you've got a cool car and it was a super fun day! I agree the reduced grip made it more fun in the morning but the whole morning i felt like I had forgotten how to drive - it wasn't until the afternoon that things started to feel familiar again and I could convince the car to do what I was asking of it. At first I was blaming it on the pavement there but I think more than that it was the dirt since it cleaned up so much in the afternoon!

I ran an event in Red Deer the next day and I managed to cord a tire on my second run, which was pretty exciting since it lead to 3 massive oversteer events, so you might not see me out at the remaining 2 Park N Jet events since I'm now in tire preservation mode since I already blew the budget by $300 this year :( I just need to find somebody to flip my tires over who won't notice the tiny bits of cord sticking through the shoulders so I can wear out the other shoulders.

k1l4m
08-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Some more photos that somebody took during this event - link (http://forums.sascsolo.com/index.php/topic,515).