PDA

View Full Version : Question About iPhone 6s Price Drop after iPhone 7 release

KrisYYC
08-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Hey all,

Question for the Apple iPhone users on here.

I believe Apple usually drops the price of the previous generation iPhone after the release of the latest one. How much usually is the price drop? And do they drop it immediately after announcing the next iPhone or does it take some time?

I am (was) a Windows phone user but after losing two apps that I use heavily (Amazon and Myfitnesspal) I'm finally throwing in the towel. I'm especially pissed about Myfitnesspal as I've been using it daily since 2012.

I know the iPhone 7 will be out soon but the lack of a headphone jack is kind of a deal breaker for me. I have expensive wired headphones and I do NOT want to use some dongle. I like the 6S, my issue is timing. I'm currently using an older Samsung and the battery life sucks on it, I'm leaving the country around Sept. 8th and would prefer to have the new phone before that so I can't decide if I should wait for a discount that might not happen in time anyway, or just suck it up and eat the cost.

If Apple always drops price on day of announcement then I'll chance it.

Anyway, long winded I know. Thanks for any info you may have.

P.S. Yes I know there's some nice Android handsets available, but I'm not looking for Android this time. I just got an iPad Pro 9.7 and would like to use the Apple ecosystem (at least for now lol).

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Are you signing a contract or no? Probably not if you're leaving the country but the carrier discounts are usually much better (previous gen iPhones are often free with certain contracts) but the discounts on outright purchases are laughable. The cheapest iPhone 6 (not S or plus) soon to be 2 full generations old is still over $800 after tax at the apple store which is insane.

KrisYYC
08-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Are you signing a contract or no? Probably not if you're leaving the country but the carrier discounts are usually much better (previous gen iPhones are often free with certain contracts) but the discounts on outright purchases are laughable. The cheapest iPhone 6 (not S or plus) soon to be 2 full generations old is still over $800 after tax at the apple store which is insane.

No I'll be buying unlocked carrier free. I'm not leaving the country for good but will be on a long vacation and a phone with battery life is essential.

The timing is just pretty bad overall.

Thanks.

sabad66
08-16-2016, 04:18 PM
From what I remember, yes it is usually immediate price drop. As mitsu mentioned, look at the current 6 prices on Apple.ca/store to get a rough idea what you could expect the 6s to be worth after the 7 comes out. Pretty crazy that it is 769 for the 16gb and 899 for the 64gb even now after being almost 2 years old

sabad66
08-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Btw, Apple events are usually mid September so if you need the price drop before sept 8 it probably won't work for you

KrisYYC
08-16-2016, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Btw, Apple events are usually mid September so if you need the price drop before sept 8 it probably won't work for you

Yeah I know. There's talk in the tech world about the Keynote being on Sept. 7th, but that's not confirmed.

I just remembered something. Apple has a trade in program. I wonder if they'll take a good condition Windows Phone?

Mitsu3000gt
08-16-2016, 04:26 PM
^^ Yup, $130 of MSRP reduction over (almost) 2 years is a joke. If you're dead set on apple and are going to buy one anyway, just do it whenever and pay the small incremental for the 6S. $900+ for a year-old phone that is getting replaced in less than a month doesn't seem like a very good decision though IMO. You are going to buy the phone mere weeks before it is no longer current, and pay full price to boot.

The iPhone 7 event will be Sep 7 or maybe Sep 23 - either way very soon. Any discounts (if at all) before the new phones are on the shelves will be next to nothing.

eglove
08-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Just try and find one on kijiji for cheap. That's your best bet

pheoxs
08-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Personally I'd just grab a cheap small battery pack and take your old phone on vacation. Last thing you want is to lose/break your shiny new phone

Like others have set, I wouldn't expect anything until mid September

ZenOps
08-16-2016, 05:13 PM
The 3.5 mm people are taking one shot to keep it alive.

LG is also releasing a phone with a Quad DAC that interpolates sound (much like high quality upscaling for HDTV)

http://www.androidguys.com/2016/08/15/the-lg-v20-has-a-quad-dac-for-audiophile-level-sound/

Probably the last tech if you insist on keeping your old headphones before the transition to all digital (I've got a pair from 30 years ago that don't work, but I keep them around anyhow)