PDA

View Full Version : Higher Mileage 2013 Q5 - thoughts/opinions?

sabad66
08-16-2016, 11:15 PM
I know there are quite a few Q5 owners on here so looking for some thoughts

I'm looking at a 2013 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus from an Audi dealership here in Calgary. Price seems fair and it seems to drive perfectly, but the only thing turning me off is the high mileage (135k). It's a shit ton of miles to do in 3.5 years... around 38k per year, so I assume they must be highway.

Any opinions on the reliability of Q5s in this mileage range?
Should I get an extended warranty?
Anything else/known issues I should be looking at specifically before I buy it?

thanks in advance

Jlude
08-17-2016, 12:27 AM
I don't think you will find too many Q5 owners with that many miles on their vehicle. I have had mine now for close to two years (2014) and just hit 35k. The Q5 have been really holding value well (for a mass production SUV).

What's the price they're asking?

sabad66
08-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Jlude
I don't think you will find too many Q5 owners with that many miles on their vehicle. I have had mine now for close to two years (2014) and just hit 35k. The Q5 have been really holding value well (for a mass production SUV).

What's the price they're asking?
It's listed for 30k. I forgot to mention it has the s-line package so it's very nicely equipped.

After doing some reading I don't think I will buy it without an extended warranty so I guess at this point it's really going to come down to how much that will cost.

Sugarphreak
08-17-2016, 07:16 AM

Redlyne_mr2
08-17-2016, 08:39 AM
Great engine, we have a 400K 2012, same engine, similar components and its been great.

illtim3d
08-18-2016, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Great engine, we have a 400K 2012, same engine, similar components and its been great.

THATS a lot of mileage :nut:

sabad66
08-18-2016, 08:08 AM
well I pulled the trigger on it. Picking it up Friday :)

Added a 4 yr/60k extended warranty offered through Audi Canada so that will help me sleep well with the higher mileage.

SkiBum5.0
08-18-2016, 08:11 AM
Nice! Enjoy the new ride.

Sugarphreak
08-18-2016, 08:21 AM

sabad66
08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Wow, that is awesome... any major work that had to be done on it along the way? Which car was it in?

Maybe I should think about keeping mind longer

redlyne's post definitely helped with the decision :) dude knows his stuff especially with VWs being close cousins to Audi

if i can get even 200k out of this thing let alone 400k i'll be extremely impressed.

Xtrema
08-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
well I pulled the trigger on it. Picking it up Friday :)

Added a 4 yr/60k extended warranty offered through Audi Canada so that will help me sleep well with the higher mileage.

Congrats. That does give you peace of mind.

Other than the 1st 3 model years (2009/10/11), the engine has been solid. You should have nothing to worry about.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-discussion-129/please-read-oil-consumption-necessary-steps-2839060/

Still, check the oil often and get a dip stick, don't rely on the that digital gauge on the MMI.

sabad66
08-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Congrats. That does give you peace of mind.

Other than the 1st 3 model years (2009/10/11), the engine has been solid. You should have nothing to worry about.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-discussion-129/please-read-oil-consumption-necessary-steps-2839060/

Still, check the oil often and get a dip stick, don't rely on the that digital gauge on the MMI.
interesting... will definitely keep an eye on it.

Do you guys typically stick to the 15k synthetic oil changes or shorter intervals? 10k?

asp integra
08-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Picked up a 2012 for my wife earlier in the year. We have put about 10,000km on it in the last 4 months. Awesome vehicle so far, great power, fun to drive and just a well made suv all around. We have about 95k on it now and love it.

sabad66
08-18-2016, 11:48 AM
Anyone know how well the bluetooth connectivity on the 2013 Q5 works with iphone 6? Will i be able to change songs on spotify using the steering wheel controls? Or would i have to flip the songs on the phone. Do i need to buy any cables or anything?

It doesn't have Nav so i think i only have "AMI" and not "MMI"... in case that makes a difference.

Jlude
08-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Anyone know how well the bluetooth connectivity on the 2013 Q5 works with iphone 6? Will i be able to change songs on spotify using the steering wheel controls? Or would i have to flip the songs on the phone. Do i need to buy any cables or anything?

It doesn't have Nav so i think i only have "AMI" and not "MMI"... in case that makes a difference.

There is a 4th gen plug in your glove compartment, I had to buy an adapter and extension to play music. It works well, but it's quite annoying to have to plug my phone into and close the glove compartment each time I go out for a drive Without Nav, you cannot play music through Bluetooth. I have an Iphone 6 and have no issues at all.

npham
08-18-2016, 01:05 PM

There is a 4th gen plug in your glove compartment, I had to buy an adapter and extension to play music. It works well, but it's quite annoying to have to plug my phone into and close the glove compartment each time I go out for a drive Without Nav, you cannot play music through Bluetooth. I have an Iphone 6 and have no issues at all.

In my 2013 S5 you could definitely play music through BT, and for the 2016 Takata air bag loaner Q5 we have, it plays through BT as well. Seems odd that it wouldn't.

sabad66
08-18-2016, 04:02 PM
hmm guess i'll give it a try and maybe talk to the audi guys when i pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully i don't need that cable. Even my 2014 wrangler with basic head unit let me switch songs thru bluetooth so hoping an audi 1 year older will let me do it as well.

Redlyne_mr2
08-18-2016, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Wow, that is awesome... any major work that had to be done on it along the way? Which car was it in?

Maybe I should think about keeping mind longer

Sorry guys, I should have confirmed, its a 2012 Tiguan. Congrats on the purchase, you'll love the vehicle.

sabad66
08-19-2016, 06:30 PM

looks like you are correct. unless you have Nav, you can't stream music through Bluetooth :(

luckily there is an adapter that can fix this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Wireless-Bluetooth-Interface-Integration/dp/B00B52LLJ6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

going to order it now

Jlude
08-19-2016, 08:13 PM

looks like you are correct. unless you have Nav, you can't stream music through Bluetooth :(

luckily there is an adapter that can fix this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bovee-Wireless-Bluetooth-Interface-Integration/dp/B00B52LLJ6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

going to order it now

Let me know how that works. I get my RR in December (estimated) so I might pick one up also in the meantime.