PDA

View Full Version : What Steam Games do you play?

nzwasp
08-23-2016, 08:43 AM
I will break down the ones I play most often:

In no particular order

CSGO

Always loved this game, currently got about 800 hours on it I mostly only play arms race as I don't like waiting after dying for the round to restart.

The Long Dark

Survival, collecting resources, no shelter building.
This is a environmental survival game that focuses on winter survival, its pretty it reminds me of how surviving in Canada's winter might be, there are many areas to explore and different levels of difficulty.

Stranded Deep

Similar to the long dark, much more focused on building a shelter for survival, you don't seem to require food or water as often as you do in the long dark. There aren't any big land masses in stranded you just go from island to island collecting resources. I haven't reached the end so I don't know if you can get rescued etc.

Rust

Shelter Building, Tool / Clothing / Edibles crafting, multiplayer and pvp.

Got this game ages ago played for 5 mins decided it was way to beta then. After watching sips play it on youtube I decided to try it again, I like the exploring and building that is on a more detailed level of reality than minecraft. I don't like logging out being in my secure cabin to finding myself naked on a beach with nothing and that my cabin has been blown to bits.

Turmoil

Bought this game because it was an oil and gas strategy game but after playing it for about 10 hours the tech upgrades haven't brought me past the 1920s I like it but it seems hard and repetitive.

No Mans Sky

Space Exploration, finding and collecting resources, building upgrades on your ship, suit and multitool. No Shelter building, No ship building, Multiplayer extremely unlikely, all worlds procedurally generated.

Recently bought this then found out after installing that my GFX card wasn't good enough, hacked together some fix and now its running pretty smoothly at medium settings. I like it, however it is repetitive but ive only put in about 4 hours or so. I read today that the storyline at this point is a waste of time so I will probably end up just exploring things and trying to get most of the steam achievements instead.

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Does CS GO have realistic damage? I am looking for a new FPS, but I can't stand the 10 headshots to kill someone that is so often the case.

2Legit2Quit
08-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Yeah CS GO is get shot 1-3 times you're dead, depends on what gun is used and if you have armor or not though.

Boat
08-23-2016, 09:06 AM
OP if you like the survival games, give Don't Starve or Don't Starve Together a shot. Great game.

Haven't played anything recently :( stupid adulthood.

nzwasp
08-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Boat
OP if you like the survival games, give Don't Starve or Don't Starve Together a shot. Great game.

Haven't played anything recently :( stupid adulthood.

Ok I will check it out - also want to try out subnautica.

schocker
08-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Does CS GO have realistic damage? I am looking for a new FPS, but I can't stand the 10 headshots to kill someone that is so often the case.
Play Day of Infamy or Insurgency. They are more realistic. Insurgency was made on the source engine originally starting as a CS mod, I thin infamy might be on a different engine.

I play currently:
F1 2016
Deus Ex Mankind Divided (As soon as I escape the office)
GTA V Online
Cities Skylines
Kingdom: New Lands
This is the Police
Hitman (The new one)
Door Kickers
Mini Metro
Rise of Nations
ARK
Subnautica
My motto is buy everything and play none of it though :rofl:

Here are some free games for whoever wants them (Piece the link together):

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
https://www.humbleb undle.com/gift?key=sum 73ButqYspTttY

The Darkness II
https://www.humbl ebundle.com/gift?key=Urqh4b AE7eBDPfM5

Mafia II Director's Cut
https://www. humblebundle.com/gift?key=StHW WmF2dS5vzkbW

Spec Ops: The Line
https://www.hum blebundle.com/gift?key=DUZ cWemHb8dWsmmx

Tropico 5
https://www.humbl ebundle.com/gift?key =sdWnpnXra3DxeeR6

Originally posted by nzwasp

Ok I will check it out - also want to try out subnautica.
Subnautica is really fun for a single player game, lots of exploring and the graphics are great.

nzwasp
08-23-2016, 09:17 AM
I find a lot of my games by watching sips or others play them on youtube as well. Thats how I found the long dark and stranded. I really probably need to get a new GFX card but theres no way im shelling out $600+ for a GTX 1070 or greater.

msommers
08-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Insurgency is pretty cool. Me and office mate play it sometimes instead of work :rofl:

Really eager for January to play the new Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 - looks so badass.

schocker
08-23-2016, 09:29 AM
I find a lot of my games by watching sips or others play them on youtube as well. Thats how I found the long dark and stranded. I really probably need to get a new GFX card but theres no way im shelling out $600+ for a GTX 1070 or greater.
If you don't want to shell out a lot, check out reviews on the GTX 1060 6gb and RX 480 8gb. Those are pretty good cards for the money from what I have seen if you aren't expecting 4k.

nzwasp
08-23-2016, 09:38 AM
I would presume I would need a 4k monitor to see anything 4k - and i dont have one of those. I actually went to look up my cards currently memory and its a 1Gb AMD HD6850 I guess it was a alright card back in 2012 when I got it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys - will check those out.

Xtrema
08-23-2016, 09:45 AM
I would presume I would need a 4k monitor to see anything 4k - and i dont have one of those. I actually went to look up my cards currently memory and its a 1Gb AMD HD6850 I guess it was a alright card back in 2012 when I got it.

It's cheaper to stick with 1080p gaming.

schocker
08-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Yup. If you are doing 1080p something like a 480 or GTX 1060 would be ideal . Those should be around 300-400$. Watch out for the versions though you would likely want the 8gb 480 not 4gb and the 6gb 1060 not 3gb.

kragnorok
08-23-2016, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by schocker

Here are some free games for whoever wants them (Piece the link together):

Spec Ops: The Line
https://www.hum blebundle.com/gift?key=DUZ cWemHb8dWsmmx

I have always wanted to play this one and never bought. Thanks for the gift!

schocker
08-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by kragnorok
I have always wanted to play this one and never bought. Thanks for the gift!
You're welcome. I might try and post some more when I have time.

For those that don't have The Witcher 3, it is currently 50% off on steam for the midweek deal. It is an amazing game.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/292030/

Konj
08-23-2016, 11:37 AM
Great thread.

I have CSGO, all of Total War series and civilization 5.

I think I am going to try those surival games that OP mentioned.

n1zm0
08-23-2016, 11:41 AM
For me lately:

DayZ (survival zombie in a post apocalyptic fictional commie eastern country, the game still gives me chills encountering ppl randomly, used to play with a few other beyonders), Squad(more of a realistic version of Insurgency, originally based off the Project Reality mods but now a full fledged standalone, as the title suggests, Squad play/comms is important), RO2:RS (WW2 Eastern front and pacific theatre FPS). Waiting for Rising Storm 2 Vietnam and BF1 now only really but the latter will be on Origin.

OP if you go on Twitch you can watch almost every big and not so big game being played, that's usually how I gauge if I want to buy something besides watching Youtube vids about it. A lot of the bigger streamers on there get early access.

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2016, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by schocker

Yup. If you are doing 1080p something like a 480 or GTX 1060 would be ideal . Those should be around 300-400$. Watch out for the versions though you would likely want the 8gb 480 not 4gb and the 6gb 1060 not 3gb.

The EVGA 1060 6GB superclocked is only $359 - probably the best bang for the buck for the 1080P budget gamers, and triple the warranty of other cards. I believe they are 3-4 weeks away from being in stock anywhere though. I was checking almost every day for stock until I gave up and bought a Titan-X :rofl:

-----------

Regarding Day-Z, I tried that out, it was literally unplayable no matter what I did. The game had serious issues/bugs that made it unplayable and never worked on my PC for some reason. Steam was zero help and refused to refund me, so be careful with that one. I think it's pretty cheap though.

n1zm0
08-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Regarding Day-Z, I tried that out, it was literally unplayable no matter what I did. The game had serious issues/bugs that made it unplayable and never worked on my PC for some reason. Steam was zero help and refused to refund me, so be careful with that one. I think it's pretty cheap though.

When it works, it works awesome and you have some of the best encounters ever (like how Arma 2 got me hooked), when the desync and the lag happens it can be frustrating. But overall I still spend hours roaming in that game, used to play with jsn and INITIALD and had good interactions overall.

Every month or so they push a new version, sometimes good and sometimes bad but it always has the same hunt or be hunted feel to it, I just think of the final product and how much I bought it for, also close to 400 hours or so in the game, I think I got my money's worth @ $30 bucks a few years ago.

The game is in Alpha though! Beware of that. Longest standing Alpha ever :rofl:

Vagabond142
08-23-2016, 12:33 PM
Most playtime of the past month:

Assetto Corsa

Also play a lot of AudioShield with the "workout" mod for it (1.5 times the orbs at each difficulty level) that needs an HTC Vive VR HMD. Can get frantic and works up a nice sweat.

Apart from that, just generally poke about when bored and play a game or two here or there :P

Mitsu3000gt
08-23-2016, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

When it works, it works awesome and you have some of the best encounters ever (like how Arma 2 got me hooked), when the desync and the lag happens it can be frustrating. But overall I still spend hours roaming in that game, used to play with jsn and INITIALD and had good interactions overall.

Every month or so they push a new version, sometimes good and sometimes bad but it always has the same hunt or be hunted feel to it, I just think of the final product and how much I bought it for, also close to 400 hours or so in the game, I think I got my money's worth @ $30 bucks a few years ago.

The game is in Alpha though! Beware of that. Longest standing Alpha ever :rofl:

Haha oh yeah, I seem to recall something about it being release nowhere near ready for public consumption, but you still had to pay for it :rofl: Ah well, maybe it's better now. Just left a sour taste in my mouth is all.

I think I will try CS GO given it is only $16, and maybe one of these Sniper games. Ill also look into Day of Infamy and Insurgency.

My favorite FPS of all time was Day of Defeat, Rogue Spear, and the original COD's before they ditched dedicated servers and ruined them all with lag unless you lived in California or wherever the US servers were.

ZenOps
08-23-2016, 01:26 PM
Got 100 games in the library...

Most mentionable would probably be FTL Faster Than Light, insane strategy - outright punishing random gameplay, just the way I like it.

xnvy
08-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Football Manager 15 and Life Is Strange. CS:GO is a favourite as well.

My computer can't really run anything :(

FTL as well but ever since I beat it on Hard more I kind of lost interest. Lanius FTW.

schocker
08-23-2016, 04:15 PM
^^^ you can just buy my old one!

xnvy
08-24-2016, 12:40 AM
Is it a desktop or laptop? I'm moving to Europe so I can only take a laptop with me. The rest of my luggage is Fireball and clothes :D

schocker
08-24-2016, 12:56 AM
Massive desktop :rofl:

Deus Ex is awesome after playing a bit. Stealth so far so missions are taking a while but that is my jam.

n1zm0
08-24-2016, 10:55 AM
and the original COD's before they ditched dedicated servers and ruined them all with lag unless you lived in California or wherever the US servers were.
~
Ill also look into Day of Infamy and Insurgency.

The only thing for me that saves this nostalgia today is playing Red Orchestra 2 (so RO2: Rising Storm Vietnam is something I'm looking forward to, had enough of modern optic sight FPS games). CoD 1 and 2 MP up until MW1 are classic, especially the former stuff, bare bones no perks, crisp ping pixel hunting.

Check out Squad if you're into realistic tactics, Insurgency is good but Squad is a whole other level imo, points don't matter, it's all about teamwork.

xnvy
08-24-2016, 12:33 PM
I like Insurgency. Mainly because I can run it haha. Red Orchestra is fun, I only have the first one.

I forgot about Civ V and Rome: Total War, sunk lots of hours into those.

My number 1 is Mount and Blade Warband though. 1000+ hours. Then probably Eastside Hockey Manager with 400.

nzwasp
08-24-2016, 01:02 PM
I lose time too easily with Civilization. I'll start playing at 8pm and look at my watch after a couple of hours and it will be 3am.

I installed steam on my laptop last night figuring i can play some of the less heavy duty games on there while I watch tv. When did CSGO become a 14 gig install?!

Mitsu3000gt
08-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

The only thing for me that saves this nostalgia today is playing Red Orchestra 2 (so RO2: Rising Storm Vietnam is something I'm looking forward to, had enough of modern optic sight FPS games). CoD 1 and 2 MP up until MW1 are classic, especially the former stuff, bare bones no perks, crisp ping pixel hunting.

Check out Squad if you're into realistic tactics, Insurgency is good but Squad is a whole other level imo, points don't matter, it's all about teamwork.

Yeah those were the best days. COD WaW was the last good COD if I remember correctly. After that, gone were the dedicated servers, and in came the lag and the hackers. I wonder how many people still play those, I have them in my Steam library still, maybe I should just play them again haha.

I'll check out Squad, thanks. I tried Insurgency, it's pretty good but I am not loving it - probably just because I don't know any of the maps and I suck haha. But there are dedicated servers and I can get a good ping on Seattle hosts, which make an enormous difference. Solid game for $10 though for sure. I got Battlefield 3 for free as well so I might fire that up just to see.