PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car online....how does it work?

The BMW Guy
08-23-2016, 02:23 PM
I have a buyer in Regina that would like to buy my car. He seems okay with not seeing it, he'd get a freight company to come pick it up and drive it to him.

I'm wondering how this sort of transaction works as I've never done it before. Does the freight company sign off the car to insure it's good? How does payment work, bill of sale....etc.

Anyone have experience in this? Thanks in advance.

roopi
08-23-2016, 02:24 PM
This is a scam. Do you not let someone pickup your car.

FraserB
08-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Yeah, this isn't legit.

If you go through with it, you're going to get a cheque for more than the sale price and him asking you to send the difference back from his "mistake". The "shipper" will pick the car up, the bank will call you in a few days and say the cheque is fraudulent and you'll be out a car.

Tell him if he is serious, you'll pay his bus ticket to Calgary so he can give you cash and drive his car home.

Kloubek
08-23-2016, 02:43 PM
As others have said, I would be very, very careful. More often than not, vehicle transactions where the buyer asks for it to be shipped are fraudulent in some way or another.

The BMW Guy
08-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Hmm....I swear I was smart enough to recognize a scam. He gave me his number and has been bargaining the price, asking about car details/history/etc.

Oh and sorry, I made a typo. He's in Regina. Either way, I'm not too comfortable with it....but how would this go down if this was a legit buyer?

He initially was planning to fly out and drive it back, but he said the amount for a flight + time was the same as freight so he's rather freight it back.

dirtsniffer
08-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Deliver it for the price of freight?

colinxx235
08-23-2016, 03:06 PM
If you can convince the guy to wire transfer funds before hand then I wouldn't see an issue with letting him freight it out. :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
08-23-2016, 03:11 PM
I buy cars off Kijiji all the time and freight them over to me, I don't have time to fly all over the place looking at vehicles.

The BMW Guy
08-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I buy cars off Kijiji all the time and freight them over to me, I don't have time to fly all over the place looking at vehicles.

How do you normally do payment when buying a car?

RNB11
08-23-2016, 03:46 PM
These are not always scams. There are some legit buyers from other provinces... you guys are to quick to jump to a conclusion. I would get more information from him though.

NoPulp
08-23-2016, 03:54 PM
Regina isn't even that far... I'd insist on making the deal in person.

BokCh0y
08-23-2016, 04:32 PM
I sold my E46 to a guy in Manitoba.

We talked and agreed to a price. He asked me what I prefer for method of payment and I told him my preference is a certified cheque since you can verify that quicker than a bank draft through his banking institution. Told him we'd need to verify at the bank before I released the funds. He agreed with it.

He flew in, I picked him and his wife up from the airport, we went to the bank and verified the funds, then I deposited the cheque, signed off on the car. Dude drove me home and that was it.

I won't accept paypal and I won't release the car without guaranteed, verified funds from the bank. I take bank drafts but I ask for a receipt and prefer a receipt that's within an hour or so so I know the buyer doesn't time to fuck with it.

Kloubek
08-23-2016, 04:43 PM
I sold a vehicle to someone from Manitoba as well. He flew in, sent me etransfers (verified from his account), and I took pictures of his license just in case. Was just fine. But to buy site unseen would make me sketchy.

It is entirely possible this is legit, you just have to ensure your due diligence. Make sure the funds are for sure from him and they are secured before you let your vehicle get picked up.

jacky4566
08-23-2016, 05:23 PM
You got the phone number but did you actually talk to the guy? Usually weeds out most scammers with fake numbers. Ask him some tricky questions. "So what got you interested in old Toyotas" (if you were selling a Mazda he will be quick to correct you.)

I'd say go for it but dont release the car until you have been paid and for god sake dont give him money to "cover the cost of X, where he will refund you Y"

know1edge
08-23-2016, 08:31 PM

carson blocks
08-23-2016, 09:59 PM
I've bought and had cars shipped before. I always paid in full via bank to bank transfer so took my chances while the seller was covered. It's not always a scam, just make sure you have 100% of the money in a guaranteed form (not cheque or money order) before the car moves. And don't pay any shipper or third party from your end (look up advance fee fraud).

BokCh0y
08-23-2016, 11:44 PM
Did th eguy from Regina give you a real number to call and you talk to him/her? Or was it a US number or something weird? The weird number or the fact they won't take calls or texts is a tell tale sign of scam.

The BMW Guy
08-24-2016, 08:41 AM
I called him last night. He said he'd find a Kee West nearby, have me drop it off there. He'll call them, ensure it is there then wire-transfer me the money to my bank account. He asked a few more questions about the condition, but overall he seemed content with it.....which is odd for me because I'd probably be asking for a million different photos.

I've never done wire transfers before (only e-transfer).....is this the same as a bank to bank transfer?

The BMW Guy
08-24-2016, 08:50 AM
Also, how would a bill of sale or transfer of ownership work? Since he isn't here to physically sign anything...I'm guessing I scan a copy of the bill of sale to him to sign?

Skyline_Addict
08-25-2016, 06:36 PM
I bought one of my previous cars unseen in person, from a guy in Edmonton. Everything done over email. He had a friend who needed to come to Calgary drive it done right to my house. Did my VIN check and even had an inspection done on my behalf by the seller so I felt confident and everything worked out just fine in the end.

Black Gts
08-27-2016, 09:14 AM
You don't need the buyers signature to sell, hopefully you can verify funds while sitting in the car before giving them the keys and signed registration slip. Is this car that well priced?

Redlyne_mr2
08-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy

How do you normally do payment when buying a car?

I get their bank account information and go to the respective branch and deposit the cash/money order.