PDA

View Full Version : Add washroom to upper floor

alsinha
08-29-2016, 10:22 AM
We currently have the standard 3 bedroom + 2 bathroom plus a bonus room on our upper floor. Would converting the bonus room into a bedroom with attached bathroom generally increase or decrease the home value? Even though I'm doing it more out of necessity than anything else, it would be good to know how it could affect the resale value having 4 bedrooms + 3 bathrooms upstairs, and not having a bonus room when most houses on our street have one. Also, any recommendations on a contractor/plumber that could do this job? Thanks!!

jwslam
08-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Double master would definitely appeal to some; not sure re:value.

One thing I'd consider is that with 3 upstairs bathrooms you might wanna consider another water heater or larger one based on bath demand.

It's probably a bigger job than you'd be thinking too... The amount of plumbing would be ridiculous and if you want a tub then you'd most likely have to reinforce floors.

alsinha
08-29-2016, 10:46 AM
It would be a standing shower. I'll have to get a few different quotes as right now I have no clue what would be an acceptable $$. Not sure if this being above the garage would make things any easier...

G
08-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Not sure if a small bedroom + small bathroom > a bonus room. Unless your bonus room is big enough to make a decent bedroom and a normal sized washroom.

Can't add the bedroom and bath in the basement?

alsinha
08-29-2016, 01:11 PM
It would end up in a standard 10x10 bedroom and 8x4 bathroom or something like that. Getting some quotes this weekend. This is going to be a bedroom for my parents who will be here for a few month stretches to help out with kids, so basement isn't preferable. Also, can't ruin my 130" motorized PS3/home theatre setup in the basement :D

03ozwhip
08-29-2016, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't do that. especially with it being temporary. What's wrong with the bathroom that's already up there? I have the exact same setup as you and having 2 extra people upstairs to share a bathroom with my kid really isn't a big deal.

edit: just put up a temp wall curtain or something lol I wouldnt change the whole aspects of my house like that. that's a huge gamble. plus that would be really weird . 99% of people don't need/want 3 bathrooms upstairs.

C_Dave45
08-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Keep in mind a very basic bathroom from scratch will run you around $15,000.
What will it's purpose be? Just another bathroom for the 3rd bedroom? Your money would be better spent upgrading the main to accommodate another sink. Or upgrade the master Ensuite. ..that's where you'll get the maximum ROI.

But just adding a 3rd bathroom to the upper floor won't get you much value in return.

alsinha
08-29-2016, 03:12 PM
The main purpose would be to give the attached bath to parents who would be here for the entire summer for the next few years, so they don't have to deal with kids' bath toys, toilet seats etc everyday.
Would that 15,000 be if there was already plumbing there or including running new pipes?

suntan
08-29-2016, 03:35 PM
$15K is very, very optimistic. That's barebones, and even then I'm not sure that's even possible.