PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new Honda Civic - a few questions

acedia
08-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Hey guys, I'll be buying a new car pretty quick here, just thought I'd toss a few questions out for discussion as I've never bought anything new before.

I'm assuming there isn't a ton of haggle room on a 2016 Civic EX, compared to some domestics that always seem to have a MEGA THOUSANDS OFF MSRP on the sign. So the EX is $22,755 (excluding any accessories, freight, etc). What do you think a decent price to get it for is? I'm not sure what to expect, or obviously how much to offer for one.

This frickin' window etching crap. Has anyone ever been able to tell a dealer, I'm not paying for that useless etching? Seems all these guys are putting that damn stuff on and quietly adding the $400 or whatever right at the end of the deal. I've heard this from a couple of people recently, and saw the Police Identifiable stickers on the windows while I was at the lot looking around this evening. Sucks that it's pretty much an included cost but not advertised as such until you're signing.

Inventory question - if the dealership doesn't have your colour, etc, and you want one brought in, do they normally charge? I had talked to a guy at Ford recently who said any car at a dealership within southern/central alberta would be brought in at no charge - it's already in the huge freight charge you pay. But a salesperson at Milestone Mazda told me it's likely a few hundred dollars if something has to be brought in. Seems to me that lots of people would just drive elsewhere if that was the case.

Just a few things I wanted to toss out there, any advice is appreciated. :)

acedia
08-29-2016, 10:26 PM
OK, just found out about unhaggle (duh) and have that sorted basically. Still curious about the other couple items though. (or feel free to share your Civic purchase price stories) :)

eglove
08-29-2016, 10:28 PM
Sorry you're buying a new civic... :zzz: I'd buy anything over one. Or at last go buy one of the old 8th gen SI's way better car.

Aleks
08-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by acedia
Hey guys, I'll be buying a new car pretty quick here, just thought I'd toss a few questions out for discussion as I've never bought anything new before.

I'm assuming there isn't a ton of haggle room on a 2016 Civic EX, compared to some domestics that always seem to have a MEGA THOUSANDS OFF MSRP on the sign. So the EX is $22,755 (excluding any accessories, freight, etc). What do you think a decent price to get it for is? I'm not sure what to expect, or obviously how much to offer for one.

This frickin' window etching crap. Has anyone ever been able to tell a dealer, I'm not paying for that useless etching? Seems all these guys are putting that damn stuff on and quietly adding the $400 or whatever right at the end of the deal. I've heard this from a couple of people recently, and saw the Police Identifiable stickers on the windows while I was at the lot looking around this evening. Sucks that it's pretty much an included cost but not advertised as such until you're signing.

Inventory question - if the dealership doesn't have your colour, etc, and you want one brought in, do they normally charge? I had talked to a guy at Ford recently who said any car at a dealership within southern/central alberta would be brought in at no charge - it's already in the huge freight charge you pay. But a salesperson at Milestone Mazda told me it's likely a few hundred dollars if something has to be brought in. Seems to me that lots of people would just drive elsewhere if that was the case.

Just a few things I wanted to toss out there, any advice is appreciated. :)

As you suspected there isn't much room in the this price bracket. Probably $1500 markup only or so. Refuse the window etching. Tell them you have great insurance coverage and for them to find you a car without it. I didn't think that was still done on new cars.

On a car like the Civic there should be 0 issues getting you a color you want. Refuse to pay any shipping for it (outside freight and pdi). Civic is the most sold car in Canada and any Honda dealer will easily get you exactly what you want. Quick look at T&T site shows they have 95 Civics in stock...

Good luck and great choice. Civic, Mazda3 and Golf are the only 3 worth looking at in that class.

01RedDX
08-30-2016, 09:44 AM

acedia
08-30-2016, 10:29 AM
Any opinions on an Elantra GLS? Looks like a decent amount of car for the price, and it's supposed to be very quiet, which the wife will like, and it's mostly for her and the girls.

Question for you - you walk in and choose a car, have it all figured out price-wise. Then you get handed a big paper to sign and notice there's $400 for VIN etching and a $499 admin fee. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug2hLQv6WeY)

Xtrema
08-30-2016, 10:37 AM
Just use unhaggle and see which dealership's internet sale approach you.

It's a semi hot car on its 1st year, the only issue they face is the economy that may strand them on the lots, so if you can get the dealer to stay close to the unhaggle price, you are good to go.

Refuse any add-ons, you can always walk away.

Seems like Village are dicks on prices and add-ons so don't bother with them if price is key.

Minimalist
08-30-2016, 12:54 PM
Window etching is a joke, you have insurance and no one is stealing a brand new car these days. Forget about the Honda floor mats, they are crap compared to WeatherTech. Honda carpet is pretty poor, you want lots of protection from the winter salt stains. Get add-ons from the USA, still cheaper than from the Canadian dealer.

I've found Okotoks Honda to be the best for service and comfortable waiting area. Free oil changes for life as long as you get the servicing done there. Service prices are better in Okotoks than Calgary as well. They have loaner cars or will pick up your car and drop off from the city. The service manager is one of those doing the pick up and drop off as he lives in Calgary.

I'd cast my net wide, go as far possible within reason for a better deal on the car. The servicing you can get at any dealer of course.

sputnik
08-30-2016, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Minimalist
Get add-ons for free

FTFY.

Most dealerships will add on a pile of free dealer installed accessories to complete the sale. Their markup is insane on that kind of stuff so it costs them next to nothing to add them.

A friend of mine just got a Civic this spring and wasn't able to haggle much on the price, but got them to include a remote starter, the rubber mat for the trunk and a cargo net for free.

Disoblige
08-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Any opinions on an Elantra GLS? Looks like a decent amount of car for the price, and it's supposed to be very quiet, which the wife will like, and it's mostly for her and the girls.

Question for you - you walk in and choose a car, have it all figured out price-wise. Then you get handed a big paper to sign and notice there's $400 for VIN etching and a $499 admin fee. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug2hLQv6WeY)
Hyundai's appear to be a great bang for the buck, but they never have much long term appeal.

I would much rather drive a Honda Civic than an Elantra. Actually, I rather drive a Honda Fit than a Civic or Elantra.

Xtrema
08-30-2016, 01:20 PM

Admin fee is pretty standard these day, try to get them to discount it.

VIN etching, f off on that.

Elantra will definitely have more discount up front but your resell won't be as good as Civic if you care about that. If you are going to drive it to the ground, then resale value doesn't matter as much.

Abeo
08-30-2016, 01:32 PM
I haggled with T&T for my in-laws, I got $850 off a '16 Civic. They were sneaky and tried to get them to sign for it before any negotiations took place...

There seems to be room to move there, I didn't try that hard.

Redlyne_mr2
08-30-2016, 05:24 PM
How about I make it easy and sell you a new VW for a few hundred over dead cost? : )

eglove
08-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
How about I make it easy and sell you a new VW for a few hundred over dead cost? : )

^ THIS

Jonathanl10
08-30-2016, 11:31 PM
I bought a '16 Civic Touring off Jacquie (New vehicles sales manager) from Okotoks Honda. Excellent service and I got a killer deal and only spent 20 mins there signing. No extras or BS fees. There's about $1700 in markup on these cars and right now Honda also has $750 off after tax if you finance.

I actually went to Airdrie first because that's where I got my 14' from two years ago and they're sort of Beyond's defacto choice for Honda sales. They're nice people but Wayne wasn't letting a Touring go for less than $1000 gross so I had to shop it. Patrick moved to Silverhill Acura too IIRC.

For the car itself, I'd see if you can stretch your budget and get a Turbo model at least. Drives like night and day compared to the 2.0L models. The Touring I have also makes it come off like an Acura with some of the features like premium sound, LED headlamps and Honda Sensing. Elantra is still very good value for money since it's priced the same but it has some extras like heated steering wheel and memory seats but it still rides and looks like a compact and I was told fit and finish are a little skimpy in the doors and stuff.

I personally had to get Weathertechs because the OE rubber mats don't cover the middle hump in the rear. Also, Honda doesn't do specific factory orders since there's only trim level, exterior colour and black interior so they'll make it eventually. My car was an upcoming allocation so I just wait two weeks when it was still in Aliston and I picked it up with 13 kms on it. On a dealer trade note, I've never had a Honda dealer charge me for a locate.

acedia
08-31-2016, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the info, guys. I appreciate it.

I'm sending you a PM, Redlyne. :)

Mitsu3000gt
08-31-2016, 09:56 AM
I spent months shopping for a Fit for my GF last year around this time. I contacted every Honda dealer in Calgary + Airdrie, High River, and Okotoks. Even all the contacts Beyond members gave me didn't pan out (most didn't even bother replying to a simple email).

Okotoks Honda destroyed everyone else's price and had the most throw-ins, along with no admin fees, etching fees, or any of that BS. Talk to Asif (sales manager).

They agreed to cost + $500 which I think is fair, then they threw in 3M, OEM winter mats, OEM trunk liner, block heater, and free lifetime oil changes. Every other dealer claimed that was below their cost or some other greasy tactic. It was hundreds less than any other dealer with more throw-ins, and like $2000 less than Honda West. Okotoks was also more than happy to deal with me over email with no BS, which was a massive time saver.

I've driven the 2.0L 2016 Civics and I would suggest springing for the Turbo models. Very tight cars though, you can't go wrong as long as you don't think they are too boring. Only thing I can't stand with the 2016's is the steering wheel controls - it is the cheapest looking thing I have seen in any car without looking at the Americans.

klumsy_tumbler
08-31-2016, 10:06 AM
I'm sending you a PM, Redlyne. :)

Good call :thumbsup:

gpomp
08-31-2016, 10:29 AM
The Civic Touring is hard to beat right now in the compact class.

rage2
08-31-2016, 10:42 AM
Dealers are still doing that window VIN etching scam? I remember when Lone Star was doing it to all their new cars and I bitched about it hard. It's completely useless, costs the dealer $50 and they sell it for $500+. They stopped doing that on the last 2 cars I bought from them.

Mitsu3000gt
08-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Dealers are still doing that window VIN etching scam? I remember when Lone Star was doing it to all their new cars and I bitched about it hard. It's completely useless, costs the dealer $50 and they sell it for $500+. They stopped doing that on the last 2 cars I bought from them.

Yup - Honda West included it in an $800 admin fee disguised as a value package. Absolutely hilarious. The vehicles come like that anyway from Honda afaik. Okotoks Honda didn't charge for it whatsoever.

88CRX
08-31-2016, 11:14 AM
All my dealings with Okotoks Honda (service, sales and parts) has been awesome.

Darkane
08-31-2016, 11:36 AM
Bought my '08 civic si from Okotoks new back then and it was a good experience. Cheaper than the beyond guys that worked at Honda at the time too.

My brother bought a civic there the next year, again good experience. If I buy another Honda down the road, likely it'll be from there.

acedia
08-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Wow that's a lot of love for Okotoks Honda. Thanks, guys. If I can't swing the wife on a VW and the Civic wins out, I'll definitely head over there. I have an aunt there I can visit while I'm on the road, so the drive is no biggie. :D

HiSpec
08-31-2016, 12:21 PM
Sounds like it may be a worthwhile drive to Okotoks even for the people in the north end.

Disoblige
08-31-2016, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Admin fee is pretty standard these day, try to get them to discount it.

Just to add, this is why you talk about an all-in price, including GST, admin fee, etc. Otherwise they could add all these BS fees on later and you're paying more anyways.

Always talk in "all-in" pricing.

Mitsu3000gt
08-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Just to add, this is why you talk about an all-in price, including GST, admin fee, etc. Otherwise they could add all these BS fees on later and you're paying more anyways.

Always talk in "all-in" pricing.

Yup, do this.

Then at the end of the day they can tack on a $10,000 admin fee for all I care, because it's coming out of their end not mine. As long as you are getting cost + a tiny amount + lots of extras, they can structure it however they want on their end to benefit the salesperson or whatever.

Same deal with a trade-in. They can make it look like you are getting a wicked trade in price, then hose you on the new car price, so got to be careful there too. They can also use it as a way to get you a good deal.

blownz
08-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Even worse a buddy of mine just bought a 1 year old CPO BMW and the dealership tried charging him the full amount for the etching. I was there and the salesman said "we put it on every new car we sell". So I said then the last guy already paid for it and this one should be free. He started by saying no and then stopped, looked confused and went to talk to the manager. Seems no one has ever questioned it on a CPO. lol

He came back to say they still had to change some registration info so it would only cost ~$100 but my buddy told him to stuff it and didn't end up paying for any of it. Crazy to spend over $60k on a used car and have them still try to add this on.

acedia
09-10-2016, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

BOOM. Best deal ever, in the books.

HUGE shoutout to the best mother-effin' dealer on the boards.

Without going into excruciating detail, this was a really great transaction. There were a couple of little hiccups as we made this deal, and all were dealt with, above and beyond what I would have expected. This was easily the best car sale I've ever been part of. It literally was like buying a car off of a buddy. Super low pressure and the most casual buying process I've ever seen.

The deal was awesome, and the couple of little issues that came up were taken care of and then some. I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone to go up to Gary Moe VW in Red Deer, and trust me, this is the first time I've ever confidently recommended a car dealership to anyone.

I'm so glad you made this post Ryan, I don't think I'd have taken a VW out for a spin otherwise. I love my new Golf, man. Thank you so much for the great deal and for taking such good care of me. You guys are the best up there.

:D

redblack
09-10-2016, 11:31 PM
What did you pay for the golf?

Jonathanl10
09-11-2016, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by redblack
What did you pay for the golf? Probably a few hundred over dead cost minus rebates? AHA

bulaian
09-11-2016, 10:28 AM

BOOM. Best deal ever, in the books.

HUGE shoutout to the best mother-effin' dealer on the boards.

Without going into excruciating detail, this was a really great transaction. There were a couple of little hiccups as we made this deal, and all were dealt with, above and beyond what I would have expected. This was easily the best car sale I've ever been part of. It literally was like buying a car off of a buddy. Super low pressure and the most casual buying process I've ever seen.

The deal was awesome, and the couple of little issues that came up were taken care of and then some. I would wholeheartedly recommend anyone to go up to Gary Moe VW in Red Deer, and trust me, this is the first time I've ever confidently recommended a car dealership to anyone.

I'm so glad you made this post Ryan, I don't think I'd have taken a VW out for a spin otherwise. I love my new Golf, man. Thank you so much for the great deal and for taking such good care of me. You guys are the best up there.

:D

Thanks to acedia for making this thread and to Ryan for responding to it.

I too just got myself into a new Golf yesterday and I have to say it was very pleasant working with Ryan and the staff at Gary Moe.

acedia
09-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Jonathanl10
Probably a few hundred over dead cost minus rebates? AHA

Pretty much, plus a few extra goodies included.

Hey bulaian, I'm pretty sure we were booked in for deliveries back to back and you were right ahead of me. :)

Just realized too, I forgot to ring the bell. (or more accurately, they forgot to make me) ha ha

bulaian
09-12-2016, 11:05 AM

Pretty much, plus a few extra goodies included.

Hey bulaian, I'm pretty sure we were booked in for deliveries back to back and you were right ahead of me. :)

Just realized too, I forgot to ring the bell. (or more accurately, they forgot to make me) ha ha

:) We both should have replied to the thread sooner, then we could have had a mini cruise up and back.

Was yours the dark grey one sitting out front?

acedia
09-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Mine was in the back yet when I got there, maybe they moved it back there to give it a quick wash after you arrived. It had just been cleaned when I got it.

Definitely a great car and worth the drive. :)