PDA

View Full Version : AC Winterizing? Do I do anything?

BokCh0y
09-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Got AC earlier this year, used it all summer. Now the weather is starting to get colder...

So what do you guys do for AC winterization? Is there a specific time or something you have to do? I bought one of those covers for the unit, not sure when to toss it on and if there's anything else I need to do? Action Furnace, who I bought the AC unit from basically told me to toss the cover on or use a tarp to keep the snow off the unit all winter, that was it.

Do you guys do anything special or what's the process? I know with underground sprinklers for example you need to blow all the water out of the lines.

TIA.

dj_rice
09-05-2016, 11:03 AM
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/prepare-outside-air-conditioner-unit-winter-22877.html

According to that guide, all you do is flip the switch on the unit to make sure its off, clean up any leaves/debris on the unit and surrounding area to prevent animals from using ur A/C as a hibernating spot and throw the cover on. And maybe cut foam covers on the pipes to prevent cold from coming in.

Another guide I read said don't even use a cover, just use a plywood sheet on top with a heavy rock. They said the A/C unit is meant to be outside in the cold and using a cover prevents moisture,condensation/debris etc from escaping thus damaging the unit.

:dunno:

ExtraSlow
09-05-2016, 11:12 AM
I have had AC for several years. Have never winterized it, and I don't use a cover. Have had zero issues. :dunno:

Kavy
09-05-2016, 11:17 AM
I do the cover the top method. I have a piece of plexi that is cut to the same diameter and then I drilled two holes in the end to allow me to use a bungie on each end to keep it in place.

Like mentioned above I also heard that using a full cover can lead to more issues as it gives rodents a place to hid etc. I haven't had an issue so I'm sticking to what I have been doing.

FixedGear
09-05-2016, 11:33 AM
I've had central AC pretty much my entire life - you don't need to winterize it.

blairtruck
09-05-2016, 12:02 PM
when mine was installed like 5 years ago. guy said just hose it down in the spring before turning it back on and clean any debris/leafs from around the unit at the same time.

BokCh0y
09-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Oh wow awesome, thanks for the info guys. Yeah first time with AC, not sure what to do, but it makes sense that I do nothing haha.

Darell_n
09-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Do nothing for winter, hose it down each Spring.

schocker
09-06-2016, 08:51 AM
I hose it off, set the nest to heat, turn off the breaker and put on the cover.
I have one of these which still lets the air flow through:
http://brinmar.com/cad/cross-ventilated-covers.html
This is the brand that action furnace for example sells and are a decent amount cheaper than their price.