PDA

View Full Version : Audi S4 B6/B7 Timing Chain Replacement

The BMW Guy
09-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Anyone recommend a shop to have this work done? Also, costs? I have heard anywhere from $3000-$10,000.

Looking at a B6 S4 but the timing chain costs for these things scares the hell out of me.

Mitsu3000gt
09-06-2016, 09:56 AM
TuneDub is your one stop shop for all post-warranty work. Just call him for a quote.

The BMW Guy
09-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Holy fck $8000 for this job. Basically the price of the car.

jacky4566
09-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Yup. Welcome to Audi land. First step. Remove engine. The chain is on the back...
Timing chain on those engines is a huge affair. Parts only are between 2-3k depending on source and if you do the cam adjusters as recommended but not required.

There is a reason those cars are cheap right around the 170k mark :P

Curious. Wanna post a link to the ad?

cancer man
09-06-2016, 07:03 PM
It's not the chain that goes it's the adjusters do the cams as well.31 hrs for the job..Better off finding an engine with less mileage and doing a swap.180k and goodluck they go at anytime with no warning sometimes.Don't walk away run away from this vehicle.

blitz
09-06-2016, 07:40 PM
The plastic chain guides can crack too, probably the weakest link.

The BMW Guy
09-06-2016, 11:15 PM
I'm massaging this guy down in price....honestly don't know if it's worth the risk still.
Its a 2004 S4. Got about 150k kms, very clean exterior/interior. Drives better than my M3. Basically selling it to me for $8.5k...hell of a deal for a V8.

But this damn timing chain issue would have me paranoid as hell all the time.

What do you guys think, would you take the risk on this car for 8.5k? Or shall I wait for a nice B7 S4 to pop up and get that instead (at least that would be worth the extra money to keep).

XylathaneGTR
09-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy
I'm massaging this guy down in price....honestly don't know if it's worth the risk still.
Its a 2004 S4. Got about 150k kms, very clean exterior/interior. Drives better than my M3. Basically selling it to me for $8.5k...hell of a deal for a V8.

What do you guys think, would you take the risk on this car for 8.5k? Or shall I wait for a nice B7 S4 to pop up and get that instead (at least that would be worth the extra money to keep).

From what I recall, the chain/guide/tensioner issues are not absent from B7s.

Factor the cost of the repair into the cost of the car and what you're cross shopping it with; are you willing to dish out 16.5k for a V8 S4 or not (any any issues to your personal life that the unplanned maintenance may cause), and is that comprable to what your M3 is worth / what you're getting out of it. Cost/benefit analysis.

theedge111
09-07-2016, 07:32 AM
Happens to B7s also...mine went at 62000kms ( 2007 S4 cab)...I had less then 3 months of warranty left when mine went, I was so happy to dump that car.

bjstare
09-07-2016, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by The BMW Guy

As said, only buy this if it's a $16k car to you. The maintenance has to be done. It would be absolutely delusional to buy this car and think you may not need to get this work done in the foreseeable future. And also as said, it's on B7 as well, any S4 with the 4.2L V8.

I was set on buying one of these a couple years back, until I found out about this :(

The BMW Guy
09-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the input fellas. What I meant by waiting for a B7 was that the B7 looks much nicer and would be worth spending the money. I'm not a fan of the B6 so it's something I am not willing to put that much money into.

I'm still thinking about this.

asp integra
09-07-2016, 09:16 AM
If you could get the car for ~5k it would be worth it imho. Tunedub is great, but you can also call calgary auto works for a quote as well. The deal with mostly audi/vw

blitz
09-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Honestly don't do it.

Between the timing chain, easily scored cylinders and leaking valve seals it's a nightmare of a vehicle.

bjstare
09-07-2016, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by blitz
Honestly don't do it.

Between the timing chain, easily scored cylinders and leaking valve seals it's a nightmare of a vehicle.

:werd:

Also, lol @ your what I drive: S4 Avant. :rofl:

ExtremeSi
09-08-2016, 01:47 PM
I looked at the B6/B7 S4s when car shopping and decided to go with a 2.0T A4 instead. The maintenance on the V8 just was something I didn't want to deal with. I currently have my B7 2.0T on a Stage 2 Unitronic tune and it offers plenty of power. Just something to consider if you want to get into a B7.

XylathaneGTR
09-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

I was set on buying one of these a couple years back, until I found out about this :(
Same, brother. Would have been fun, but not worth the nightmare when the inevitable occurs.

rx7boi
09-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
I looked at the B6/B7 S4s when car shopping and decided to go with a 2.0T A4 instead. The maintenance on the V8 just was something I didn't want to deal with. I currently have my B7 2.0T on a Stage 2 Unitronic tune and it offers plenty of power. Just something to consider if you want to get into a B7.

How do you find the car performance wise?

Some people want to go with the S4/5 especially for the available sport differential options.

Do you track the car or do you just enjoy going fast in a straight line?

ExtremeSi
09-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi

How do you find the car performance wise?

Some people want to go with the S4/5 especially for the available sport differential options.

Do you track the car or do you just enjoy going fast in a straight line?

It's my daily driver so I find it has good performance and comfort for that. It's not a lightweight sports car by any means but it has decent handling especially now with the upgraded rear sway bar I installed. Makes it more neutral. The AWD traction is great and the turbo gives it lots of low-end torque. I don't track it but some people do. There's plenty of suspension options out there if you wanted to go that route.

I'd say it's about 50/50 on the luxury/sport scale.

I believe the sports diff was only available on the B8 models not the B7 so I can't speak to that.

85regal
09-10-2016, 08:00 PM
I owned a b6 s4. great car to drive but cost of parts and maintenance was horrible, and i did the work myself. I would not buy one again.

danno
09-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Had a b7 rs4 they aren't supposed to have the timing chain issue that the s4 has. I found it reliable but expensive for parts. Just buy it and drive it till she blows if it's fairly cheap.

R-Audi
09-12-2016, 09:09 AM
I had a Auto B7 S4 wagon (Made its way to a few Beyonders) It wasnt anything thrilling to drive, but certainly had decent power for city driving and quite comfy. It had full exhaust (Downpipes and catback) and was lowered.
I got rid of it well in advance of the timing chain needing replacement, in fear that the price would plummet or Id have to pay big bucks.