PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Keyboards

Dalking
09-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Just in the past couple month's I've developed a healthy obsession with mechanical keyboards. Not just the kinds you buy from memex/best buy but the custom DIY build it all, customise it yourself keyboard.

60% and 40% boards, I'm just wondering if there are any other people on this forum that are into it as well, I don't see much of a scene here in calgary.

I'll start off with a recent purchase that is to be delivered to me wednesday. It's the Anne pro RGB keyboard with gateron blue switches (similar to the mx blues, as they are a clone but improved upon) and the keyboard has a built in lipo battery with bluetooth connectivity.

It's what they call a 60% board because on a traditional 103 key board, this one only has roughly 60% of the keys as an actual keyboard available.

Personally can't wait for this one to come in as I've been using traditional "gaming" keyboards (razer, coolermaster, etc) and it will be my first third party what enthusiasts call 'real' keyboard.

If anyone's interested in checking it out here's the site i bought it from.
http://www.banggood.com/APP-Control-Anne-PRO-Blue-Red-Switch-RGB-Bluetooth-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-p-1064055.html

In the next week or two I should have some parts in for a DIY board where you install and solder all the switches, diodes/resistors and led's.

I'm not the most versed person out there in the keyboard game yet, but I know enough to help answer some basic questions should anybody have some :)

dtrieu
09-12-2016, 08:28 AM
That's a good looking keyboard. I have a Ducky Shine 5 Year of the goat, Been thinking about getting a 60% keyboard tho!

Dalking
09-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by dtrieu
That's a good looking keyboard. I have a Ducky Shine 5 Year of the goat, Been thinking about getting a 60% keyboard tho! There are so many types of 60% boards, both prebuilt and DIY.

Maybe I could help you find a cool one, what are you looking for in a board?

reiRei
09-12-2016, 02:36 PM
:D I love mechanical keyboards, I do lots of coding for work so I prefer the feel over the squishy-ness.

I do have a fantastic keyboard, the IBM Model M, but don't dare bring it in to work because it's just so noisy

sneek
09-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by reiRei
:D I love mechanical keyboards, I do lots of coding for work so I prefer the feel over the squishy-ness.

I do have a fantastic keyboard, the IBM Model M, but don't dare bring it in to work because it's just so noisy

I have a DAS Keyboard for home but ordered a Corsair keyboard with MX Silent keys for work. I hope it is as quiet as they promise. I don't want to be "that guy"!

b_t
09-12-2016, 04:44 PM
hmm since you are an enthusiast, maybe you can help me. Is there a MX Silent equivalent that still has the strong detent in it like a normal mechanical switch does? The Silents have an even actuation force from key up all the way to the base, so sometimes I will press one without even realizing I've done it.

sneek, the Silents are only truly silent if you type slowly. If you type at a good pace, they still make quite a bit of noise but not a ridiculous amount like other mechanicals.

I'm not going to build my own keyboard but maybe I'd replace my switches in my existing keyboard if possible, and if not too expensive. I have one of these bad boys

http://www.corsair.com/en/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent

Gman.45
09-13-2016, 12:03 AM
I've been using mech's since the IBM model M. I have a couple dozen of various types, Corsairs, Roccats, Ducky Shine 5s, Filco, others, I think I've tried most of them now. Some like Razer have a proprietary switch, most of the others are CHerry switch. I have a 1/2 dozen IBM Ms I've collected over the years, and nobody, including Cherry, have ever surpassed that original buckling spring design, IMO. I really like Cherry Blues, Browns, Reds, etc, for various types of gaming and typing, but the original IBM M is impossible to beat for being good at just about every type of keyboard interaction. The Unicomp KB you can still buy are close, but just not quite the same, I have a couple of them but rarely use them in favor of the originals. I get yelled at every time I buy another mech to try out, but it's an obsession.

I too have a goat Ducky Shine 5, very happy with it, it's my main gaming KB, while the IBM M is used for serious typing/writing in every case.

A lot of friends of mine in the PC/gaming world still worry about video cards, processors, and so on, yet the one device that gets more use in the PC environment than anything is the keyboard, yet so many are still happy with just a stock "whatever' board. Until they come over and try some of mine. They always leave with one.

Custom keycaps are interesting too, the Ducky has double shot injected caps, but there are other options ever better out there, and that's about the extent to my messing around so far, but the OP has me considering trying out some new things as well.

Nice to see I'm not the only loon, I have 5 KB for every PC in our home, which is 4 gaming PCs, several HTPC, and laptops. Heh, even my primary home theater room has a $200 Filco wireless Cherry blue KB.

schocker
09-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by b_t
snip
Maybe the browns with orings?

I have been using a cooler master at home and work for years now with browns. Wouldn't switch back to membrane ever. I am fine with the gaming grade keyboards though for now as the higher end ones are $$$$.

sneek
09-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by b_t
hmm since you are an enthusiast, maybe you can help me. Is there a MX Silent equivalent that still has the strong detent in it like a normal mechanical switch does? The Silents have an even actuation force from key up all the way to the base, so sometimes I will press one without even realizing I've done it.

sneek, the Silents are only truly silent if you type slowly. If you type at a good pace, they still make quite a bit of noise but not a ridiculous amount like other mechanicals.

I'm not going to build my own keyboard but maybe I'd replace my switches in my existing keyboard if possible, and if not too expensive. I have one of these bad boys

http://www.corsair.com/en/strafe-rgb-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-cherry-mx-silent

That's exactly the keyboard I ordered. I kind of wish I saw your post before ordering it. I am hoping it won't be too much louder than a standard membrane keyboard

Dalking
09-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by reiRei

The model M is a nice old board. Is yours using mx switches or bucklings?

Originally posted by sneek

I have a DAS Keyboard for home but ordered a Corsair keyboard with MX Silent keys for work. I hope it is as quiet as they promise. I don't want to be "that guy"!
It's going to be quiet yes, but your keys bottoming out on the switch/plate is going to be noisy. I would recomend for ultra silence to get some o-rings to put on the stem of the keycaps. If you need help finding some I can guide you there!!

Originally posted by b_t

You could check out other alternative switches, everyone is up on the gateron switches as of late. I am using a set of gateron blues at the moment on my anne pro rgb and they are alot smoother than mx variants.

Originally posted by Gman.45
I've been using mech's since the IBM model M. I have a couple dozen of various types, Corsairs, Roccats, Ducky Shine 5s, Filco, others, I think I've tried most of them now. Some like Razer have a proprietary switch, most of the others are CHerry switch. I have a 1/2 dozen IBM Ms I've collected over the years, and nobody, including Cherry, have ever surpassed that original buckling spring design, IMO. I really like Cherry Blues, Browns, Reds, etc, for various types of gaming and typing, but the original IBM M is impossible to beat for being good at just about every type of keyboard interaction. The Unicomp KB you can still buy are close, but just not quite the same, I have a couple of them but rarely use them in favor of the originals. I get yelled at every time I buy another mech to try out, but it's an obsession.

I too have a goat Ducky Shine 5, very happy with it, it's my main gaming KB, while the IBM M is used for serious typing/writing in every case.

A lot of friends of mine in the PC/gaming world still worry about video cards, processors, and so on, yet the one device that gets more use in the PC environment than anything is the keyboard, yet so many are still happy with just a stock "whatever' board. Until they come over and try some of mine. They always leave with one.

Custom keycaps are interesting too, the Ducky has double shot injected caps, but there are other options ever better out there, and that's about the extent to my messing around so far, but the OP has me considering trying out some new things as well.

Nice to see I'm not the only loon, I have 5 KB for every PC in our home, which is 4 gaming PCs, several HTPC, and laptops. Heh, even my primary home theater room has a $200 Filco wireless Cherry blue KB.
Nice to see you have a collection as well! Key caps can change the way your typing experience feels and sounds greatly, my favorite's are PBT, they give a nice solid thock when you're using blue switches

Originally posted by schocker

Maybe the browns with orings?

I have been using a cooler master at home and work for years now with browns. Wouldn't switch back to membrane ever. I am fine with the gaming grade keyboards though for now as the higher end ones are $$$$.
You can get some nice boards that aren't 'gaming' boards that give you the best experience you can get for the dollar. Check out the TADA68

Originally posted by sneek

That's exactly the keyboard I ordered. I kind of wish I saw your post before ordering it. I am hoping it won't be too much louder than a standard membrane keyboard
You're going to get a bit of audio from the caps bottoming out. Orings can solve that issue for you though for a total silence

Dalking
09-13-2016, 02:35 PM
I also just got my 60% anne pro rgb with gateron blues in the mail yesterday.

It's going back to banggood, experience has been pretty lackluster so far. My keyboard is defective and has a habit of randomly typing whatever it wants as well as stabilisers that are basically falling and rattling out of the board.

Once I get a refund for this i think I'm going to go the DIY route and buy the primo of everything and make sure it's to my liking.

Gateron blue switches compared to mx blues, way smoother and softer as well as more quiet. Not exactly what I was hoping for but it has been nice to get a feel for them and how they work.