PDA

View Full Version : A5 and S5 owners - ADS and sports differential?

rx7boi
09-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, I have been browsing the A5OC and other forums but I can't seem to find an answer.

I have been comparing B8 A5's and S5's, particularly 2010 to 2012 models.

Apart from the obvious engine differences, I am under the impression that the S5 has an option for a sports differential and that one can also opt for Audi Drive Select as an option.

In the A5 however, I have not come across any that indicate a sports differential, although some ads say that the A5 comes with Audi Drive Select (but no mention of the sports differential). If the A5 has ADS, does it mean it should also have the sports diff?

I am not sure how ADS and sports differential get packaged together at the manufacturer.

Xtrema
09-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Sport Diff was never offered in B8 A5 if I remember correctly. Don't know if that was an options in the later years B8.5.

ADS on A5 still controls steering/engine/transmission.

Packaging is complicated on S5/S4.

The only thing you can check is go into MMI and check for Individual setting for all 5 ADS managed systems:

Engine
Steering
Transmission
Sport Diff
Suspension

The last 2 are extra options and I know a lot of S5/S4 buyers skipped.

And if Sport Diff is skipped, car tends feel more like a FWD bias AWD car.

rx7boi
09-22-2016, 06:53 PM
I had also thought that the sports diff was never offered in the A5 hence my confusion when I read about ADS with a sports differential option.

Am I correct in assuming that it is possible to have ADS without the sports differential?

I like the price point of the A5 but I do not want to shoot myself in the foot by not getting the S5, especially if the sports differential is only available to the S5.

At the same time, I understand that ADS on the A5 will allow me to customize my driving style based on engine, steering, transmission, and suspension dampening. It's certainly more than what my 2012 Genesis Coupe is capable of.

When I read the forums, some people talk about getting just the sports differential because it's a $1300 option compared to the $4000 ADS option. However, it sounds like that ADS and the sports differential both provide very specific (and different?) benefits.

Xtrema
09-22-2016, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi
When I read the forums, some people talk about getting just the sports differential because it's a $1300 option compared to the $4000 ADS option. However, it sounds like that ADS and the sports differential both provide very specific (and different?) benefits.

What Audi billed as ADS includes adjustable suspension.

Most (including myself) just got Sport Diff (had a 2010 S4) and basically it comes with what the forums like to call "ADS Lite"

If you didn't buy ADS or Sport Diff, while you don't get the Drive Select button on the dash, you could still enable ADS via VAGCOM.

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/how-enable-audi-individual-drive-select-vcds-2827554/

I think this works on A5 as well but don't quote me.

I think 2013+ B8.5 cars should have ADS or by then renamed to Drive Select by default.

My take is:

ADS for Engine/Transmission/Steering is pretty standard fare. In Dynamic mode, Engine idles at higher RPM, automatic gearbox holds gears longer and steering stiffs up. Auto mode is let the ecu figure it out based on your driving style. Comfort is basically opposite of dynamic and steering is as loose as a Caddy.

I found Comfort too limp. I always leave mind in Auto, 80% of the time.

ADS for transmission doesn't apply if you get a manual gear box for obvious reason.

2010-2012 S5 I think are 4.2L V8. They didn't go 3L V6 until 2013. While S4 started with 3L V6 and DCT in 2010.

I don't recall if sport diff is available for those years because I recall many was switching to S4 because of available sport diff and the 3L V6 is lighter and better engine than the V8 in all aspect except sound and S-Tronic (DCT) shifts much faster than Tiptronics if you didn't get a manual.

Go to Audizine and Audiworld if A5OC has too little info. They seem to have more members. I can't really speak to A5/S5 as what I had was a 2010 S4 and had some seat time in a RS5 with sport diff.

voodoo
09-22-2016, 08:29 PM
The S5 convertible 2010-2012 come in the 3.0T

turbotrip
09-23-2016, 03:55 AM
In my opinion, ADS is the most important option you can get on these cars. Gives the car so much more versatility

rx7boi
09-23-2016, 09:38 AM
I'll definitely look into this more on the Audi forums as well.

It sounds to me that if I am looking at an A5, ADS is a must-have since it really brings out performance. That, and because the A5 doesn't even have a sports diff option. Without either option, I doubt I would be happy with the car.

On the other hand, the potential for a sports diff (in an S4/5) will add another level of performance in terms of the agility and stability of the car.

From what I read, going with an S5 also opens up the option to look for a model with the S-tronic tranmission which many say is way better than Tiptronic.

The options on these cars are unreal. There's so many different options that it's a bit overwhelming haha.

So far:

A5 Pros - cheaper, potentially lower maintenance cost
A5 Cons - less performance options (sports diff, s-tronic, etc)

Edit: Xtrema pretty much covered it all.

schocker
09-23-2016, 09:41 AM
I would pay the extra for the S based solely on the fact of how much more fun the 3.0T is than the 2.0T.

Xtrema
09-23-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi
From what I read, going with an S5 also opens up the option to look for a model with the S-tronic tranmission which many say is way better than Tiptronic.

Again I don't know the pairing but these could be the auto transmissions available for those years:

6-Speed Tiptronic: This is a really ancient auto transmission. Slow for manual shifts.

8-Speed Tiptronic: This should have debut in 2010 or 2011. This one shifts fast and is currently the go to transmission for Audi of all ranges.

7-Speed S-tronic: Nothing on the market can beat this in term performance, even today. It's dual clutch, you are looking at $500-$600 of fluids + labour every 50k. And I would be wary owning this outside of warranty.