PDA

View Full Version : Heating a garage: Gas vs Electric

cet
09-26-2016, 11:59 AM
Hey guys,

I'm building an 804sqft detached garage and trying to sort out which way to go for heat.

What would be cheaper in the long run keeping in mind the awesome new Carbon Tax that will be implemented in January? Gas or Electric?

Maxx Mazda
09-26-2016, 12:10 PM
Are you thinking of a permanent solution like?

Gas is the way to go. Much more efficient.

Seth1968
09-26-2016, 12:14 PM
Consumption cost will be about 3x to 5x higher with electricity.

Don't forget to factor in all the initial costs.

gretz
09-26-2016, 12:27 PM
Do gas for sure... take the chance to run any other wires out to the garage (ethernet / phone / whatever) and make sure to go with separated combustion for the gas heater

Seth1968
09-26-2016, 12:33 PM
You might also want to install a ceiling fan to bring the much hotter air down from the ceiling. Usually the lowest fan setting will suffice.

cet
09-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the advice - looks like I'll stick with gas

blownz
09-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Definitely gas.

I did electricity on my first garage because I was able to get the heater for free so I thought I couldn't go wrong. Was I ever wrong. This was back you had several months of estimated usage then an actual. So the first few months I thought it was hardly using anything and then all of a sudden I had a $600 bill. Then they were estimating it at about $450 a month after that. 17 years ago making $35K a year that really hurt.

Gas is significantly cheaper. And the cops won't think you have a grow-op...

mr2mike
09-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Do gas for sure... take the chance to run any other wires out to the garage (ethernet / phone / whatever) and make sure to go with separated combustion for the gas heater

Just run two conduits out to garage with a feed wire. Done for anything thrown at you in the future.

Also 60A plug in inside the garage but by the garage door. You'll use it a lot just with working on driveway stuff, etc.

jacky4566
09-27-2016, 05:36 PM
I vote for in-floor heating with a boiler. Cars are always warm and no wet spots :P

benyl
09-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
I vote for in-floor heating with a boiler. Cars are always warm and no wet spots :P

Word.

The main door loses heat like crazy.

bjstare
09-28-2016, 07:57 AM
My dad built a garage at my parents place a couple years back, very similar size to OP. Has in floor heating, and it's phenomenal. The best part is you can open the man door and OH door, let all the warm air out when it's like 20 below, and within a couple minutes of closing them the garage is back up to temp. It seems way more efficient than forced air.

cet
09-28-2016, 08:28 AM
The pad was poured in April and I didn't even think about in-floor at the time. I'm running 2 conduit (1 for electrical and 1 for low voltage) and a gas line from the house to the garage.

I can decide whether to do forced air or infrared/radiant when the time comes to install a heater.

sputnik
09-28-2016, 08:51 AM
In slab heating is only worth it if you are a baller where money is no object or you are working in your garage EVERY day in the winter.

Most of us are fine with a radiant heater that we start up a few hours before we plan to be in the garage just so that we can do a couple of things from time to time in the winter.

schurchill39
09-28-2016, 09:08 AM
Forced air hands down. In 2014 I did the math and a bunch of scenarios (fixed vs variable) for infrared and gas for my 24x26 garage and in every case I had gas was cheaper. In hindsight I would have done in floor but for what I have I'm super happy.

G
09-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
My dad built a garage at my parents place a couple years back, very similar size to OP. Has in floor heating, and it's phenomenal. The best part is you can open the man door and OH door, let all the warm air out when it's like 20 below, and within a couple minutes of closing them the garage is back up to temp. It seems way more efficient than forced air.

He must have this temp cranked right up. I have mine set to 15 and it takes a bit to get the chill out after leaving the door open to shovel the snow.

blownz
09-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by G

He must have this temp cranked right up. I have mine set to 15 and it takes a bit to get the chill out after leaving the door open to shovel the snow.

Exactly. I know two people with in floor heat and both ended up also getting a forced air heater just to help with quicker heat ups.

benyl
09-28-2016, 12:02 PM
I guess I am cheap.

I set it to 15 and the big doors are only open when things (cars, snowblower, etc.) need to get in and out. As soon as it is in or out, the door closes.

I'm not in the habit of heating the outdoors in the winter. My wife doesn't always share my view. haha