PDA

View Full Version : SEACANS - for moving storage

KPHMPH
09-26-2016, 08:47 PM
I've been doing a decent amount of research and this sounds like the route we are going to go is getting a sea can for moving / storage.

When the house sells we don't want to buy anything and there is a slight possibility of moving overseas.

Has anyone ever used a company that drops sea cans off on your driveway to fill?

mr2mike
09-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Get your wallet out.

sr20s14zenki
09-28-2016, 09:13 AM
I think PODS does something like that, altho im not sure they will ship nationally/internationally.

SkiBum5.0
09-28-2016, 10:03 AM
SeaCans are not cheap considering they are expired, scrap metal usually. I bought one when I moved south and even using the farm flat deck to pick it up and drop it off, it was an arm and a leg. Also, you have skim through all the shite ones to find one that seals up as it should

AndyL
09-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Typically you'd rent one from a place like securite - that doesn't help with storage however... (Though they might have a solution). Best solution if you know someone who has some property you can leave it on - I know the can I rented was NEW - one trip from China to Canada, not even scratches in the wood floor decking. 1.5 years in a field no signs of mice getting in.

Pretty sure the big moving companies have some they'll drop at your house and come take away for people in your type of scenario. (Smaller ones like 12-16')

KPHMPH
09-28-2016, 01:00 PM
So far the prices I've gotten are pretty standard across the companies.

To buy a 20ft one it will cost me $3300 for a brand new one and $2400 for a used one.

Thaco
09-28-2016, 02:26 PM
personally i'd just buy a used one and use it for what you need and resell it at the other end, i wouldn't imagine it'd depreciate much if at all, would just depend on the market at either end.

mr2mike
09-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Sorry, I meant the storage is what's going to really cost you. Might as well have a sale and sell off your stuff.

But as AndyL said, if you have a storage place in a family member's property then it could work well. Keep the mice out is your only issue then.

Thaco
09-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Sorry, I meant the storage is what's going to really cost you. Might as well have a sale and sell off your stuff.

But as AndyL said, if you have a storage place in a family member's property then it could work well. Keep the mice out is your only issue then. not really, you could probably even store it at an RV storage place, not any bigger than those rolling houses

sputnik
09-29-2016, 10:06 AM
Do you really want to leave all of your belonging sealed in a seacan indefinitely?

I would be worried about everything getting musty or moldy without any decent air circulation.

Better off just selling what you don't need/use or is easily replaceable and put putting everything of personal value into a well ventilated/heated storage unit.

avishal26
09-29-2016, 04:51 PM
I have used Secure-Rite before. They are pretty good. I don't know how well the sea-cans seal, but I used it for the 2 months I was waiting for my new house to be built.

They do have a storage yard. I think for a 20ft and a 10ft container it ended up costing me $1000 total including delivery and pickup. - cheaper than PODs when I last checked. Rental was approximately $250 a month for both, including storage. Delivering un-loaded container was $100 each, and pickup of loaded container was $120 - $150 each.

Rental costs are not that expensive, it is actually the delivery / pick up charges that are expensive.

Not sure if you can use them for long term though... but I don't see an issue with up to a year for common household stuff like furniture. Longer than that is questionable.

Don't quote me on this, but I think they do have ventilated units as well.