PDA

View Full Version : In car stereo set up - deleting rear speakers

jabjab
09-30-2016, 10:20 AM
I was shopping around for some new speakers when I got to reading that people are investing in higher end front speakers and tweets and deleting the use of the rear speakers.

They say it makes music sound more crisp and give that concert feel. Rears often just add filler.

Anyone done this? Maybe provide a better explanation for improved sound quality

lamp_shade_2000
09-30-2016, 10:28 AM
I have decent front components with separate tweeters and mids. They run off an amp with my sub then my rears are run off my head unit. I cheaped out on the rears and ended up blowing them. Now I use just the fronts and sub and I find it lacking a bit. When I had rears I felt it sounded fuller. Personally, I would keep your rears.

revelations
09-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Yea go with decent Mids in the rears, sub in trunk and better fronts.

Do it right, get x-overs for the tweeters and 2 separate amps (sub and the rest).

If you're serious, the tuning ability requires a sit down and plan out the wiring to suit your desires. Also means endless fiddling with settings to suit your taste in music.

Mitsu3000gt
09-30-2016, 10:53 AM
I had a $50K sound system in my previous car (from previous owner), and I unhooked the rear because it sounded better overall. In such an enclosed space there was less cancellation from competing sound waves. That being said there was also ~200 hours put into calibrating the system precisely for the car's interior acoustics, which is far more work than most people (including me) would ever put into it haha. I would definitely spend a larger portion of your budget getting some better component speakers for the front though (separate mids and tweeters) rather than spending a bunch of money on the rears just for fill or rear passengers. I realize a car is a little different, but most music is best enjoyed in 2.0 or 2.1 channel stereo.

Just do the fronts first and see what you think. If you feel there is something missing, then do the rears. Don't spend the money until you're sure.

lamp_shade_2000
09-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I had a $50K sound system in my previous car (from previous owner)

:eek: :nut:

Mitsu3000gt
09-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000

:eek: :nut:

Yup haha, I would never have spent my money on that, but I'm glad the previous owner did. He used it for sound quality competitions.

RealJimmyJames
09-30-2016, 11:17 AM
Shit, I'm happy if my cars even have four channels.

http://www.motorstown.com/newsImages/hyundai-pony-1.jpg

jabjab
09-30-2016, 11:35 AM
Good idea, I think I will go with upgrading the the tweets and the front and see how I like it. My car is very small and pretty much a 2 seater so it could work out.

I ended up ordering these speakers for the front:

http://www.jlaudio.ca/c2-650-car-audio-speakers-c2-speaker-systems-99617

gpomp
09-30-2016, 12:00 PM
I've done this before and I didn't miss the rear speakers at all.

jabjab
09-30-2016, 12:11 PM
don't the rear speakers cause some sort of distortion cause of a delay of sound and how it travels, just something that I have heard but dont' understand.

Mitsu3000gt
09-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by jabjab
don't the rear speakers cause some sort of distortion cause of a delay of sound and how it travels, just something that I have heard but dont' understand.

You can change the timing on them, so that the sound reaches your ears at the same time from different speaker distances. The rears can interfere with the ability of your front speakers to produce ideal imaging/soundstage. Your car interior, due to it's shape, will also naturally have nulls (certain frequencies will be quieter) and boomy spots (certain frequencies will be amplified), unless tuned out. Rear speakers are also often low in the doors, which isn't great.