PDA

View Full Version : Do fence painter guarantees usually cover peeling of existing paint?

Mar
09-30-2016, 02:58 PM
I assume if I hire someone to paint a fence and they quote me a price, then they're going to do whatever they have to in order to get the paint to stay on the fence. Now the paint is peeling off everywhere and it looks worse than before they touched it so I called them back and they're saying they don't guarantee against the peeling of the existing factory paint from the (metal) fence. They only guarantee their paint will stick to whatever they put it on......the old paint.

Naturally I told him that he needs to strip the old paint or do whatever he has to, just make it work, I don't care how. His problem is he says stripping all the factory paint off that fence would cost $20,000 and I believe we were quoted $6000 for the job. I'm kind of coming into this after my condo board has already given up and accepted it but I refuse to accept this garbage. Is this right? I can literally walk down the fence and pick all the paint off with my fingers.

And just to clarify, I'm still trying to get a copy of the actual quote we got but the painting company is stating that their original quote was only to scrape off any existing loose paint and not to strip it. They're saying they did scrape it prior to application but I can still peel it off no problem.

Here is the guarantee from their website:

Guarantee
All interior work is guaranteed for three years and all exterior work is guaranteed for two years from the completion date against peeling or blistering. Such guarantee refers only to failed areas and it is not transferable.

Guarantee limitations
We do not guarantee against: paint supplied by customer, moisture, mildew and heat problems, previous coat breakdown, walked on and varnish surfaces problems, galvanized metal surfaces, rust, bleeding knots, wallpaper breakdown, horizontal surfaces, color matching. We are not responsible for any previous damage. In case of any damage caused by the negligence of ProPainting Solutions it is agreed that the customer will give ProPainting Solutions the opportunity to rectify the problem. The standard preparation operations are: all loose material will be removed and any glossy surface will be sanded and repainted. ProPainting Solutions will repair only the areas where the problem occurred. If the customer changes the color after commencement of the job, or after the paint has been tinted, the customer pays additional costs. If any hidden conditions require work not originally contracted for, the customer must pay additional costs as is specified by ProPainting Solutions.

Kloubek
09-30-2016, 03:22 PM
"We do not guarantee against: .... previous coat breakdown".

I don't know how they possibly COULD guarantee against a finish which they never applied.

FraserB
09-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Your condo company cheaped out and didn't bother paying for proper surface prep, now they get to live with it. If the old paint had been removed and it was now peeling, you would have a case for warranty.

I'd say with near 100% certainty that they were told during the quote phase that there could be issues with delamination, but chose not to pay for it to be stripped.

rage2
09-30-2016, 04:07 PM
I love Mar threads.

Seth1968
09-30-2016, 04:15 PM
To hear the other side of the story would be epic.

Go ahead Mar, invite them on.

FraserB
09-30-2016, 04:33 PM
I wonder if Mar is on the condo board and/or authorized to attempt to start warranty claims with their contractor.

s dime
09-30-2016, 04:35 PM
don't feed the troll

Mar
10-02-2016, 02:00 PM
An additional coat appears to have solved the peeling issue and my problem with all of the over spray traced back to the original board approval that we would be replacing the over sprayed areas anyway so it didn't matter. All responsibility has been removed from the painters at this point.

mr2mike
10-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Metal fence and it was not powdercoated from factory?
Sounds like a cheap condo.
I'm surprised a beyonder would stoop that low without having every piece of the condo inspected for integrity above and beyond typical building practices.

Rocket1k78
10-03-2016, 11:29 AM
I knew this thread would be ridiculous because of the poster. This time he answers his own question right off the bat and still posts :nut:

Brent.ff
10-03-2016, 12:03 PM
same painters that stuck your garage to the floor?

Mar
10-03-2016, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
I knew this thread would be ridiculous because of the poster. This time he answers his own question right off the bat and still posts :nut:
The difference is when I run a project for a client, I provide a certain level of quality in the final product. If someone told me it's okay to do it sloppy for whatever reason, I wouldn't accept that for fear of the possibility of someone pointing at that after it's done and saying my company did that work. I wouldn't allow my company to be put in that position but I operate differently I guess.

Originally posted by Brent.ff
same painters that stuck your garage to the floor?
/I'm not quite sure but I believe it is. I'm actually still trying to get that fixed, all the seals need to be replaced and I have no idea how to do it.

Rocket1k78
10-03-2016, 05:11 PM
If only the world were as righteous as you:rofl:

A. You're not even on the board so why are you even getting involved with this? yeah you pay condo fees but that really doesnt give you the right does it?

B. Don't you think you shouldve had a look at the actual quote before you went and told the painter "that he needs to strip the old paint or do whatever he has to, just make it work, I don't care how". What if they did offer the board an option to do a full strip.

I'm not trying to be a dick but your posts are kinda wacky :poosie: