PDA

View Full Version : Coyote early morning

jabjab
10-03-2016, 11:36 AM
I take my dog out early morning when I wake up (530am) for a short walk so he can go to the washroom.

I walk on the sidewalk past this grassy area when I felt something there in the dark and then all of a sudden a big coyote crosses the street behind me. I kept my eye on it thinking it would continue walking away into another field when it stopped and started to stare at me and my dog.

I quickly picked up my dog and stared back at it. It began to step forward when I sudden began growling at it and inching forward myself while maintaining eye contact. It actually began to retreat a bit so that is when I started walking backwards while remaining eye contact.

Haven't experienced that kind of situation before but always remember not to run and pick up your dog if small enough or keep them close to you.

shakalaka
10-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Damn could be an issue in my area as well but I don't go for walks that early. You should keep a walking stick of sorts with you just in case.

Kloubek
10-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Was used to seeing coyotes all the time when I lived in BC. They used to watch us mountain biking through the trees all the time. Never made me nervous whatsoever.

Having a small dog though is a different story. They are typically used to humans, so they tend to take chances you wouldn't think they'd take.

jabjab
10-03-2016, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Damn could be an issue in my area as well but I don't go for walks that early. You should keep a walking stick of sorts with you just in case.

I'm going to bring a walking stick and a flashlight with me from now on. I heard that shining light in their eyes scares them away.

I have never encountered one that stopped and engaged in a stare down but he probably just wanted my dog.

jacky4566
10-03-2016, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you need a real dog.

heavyD
10-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I saw two coyotes in our circle early last week while taking my dog for his morning walk. I should have known something was up as there were no rabbits at all around as there's always plenty running around. They weren't huge, maybe 35-40 lbs to my dog's 27 lbs but they ran off when I approached as they normally do. Personally I wouldn't be afraid as a person but if you have cats or small dogs you don't want to leave them out when coyotes are around.

schurchill39
10-03-2016, 12:22 PM
We've come across a couple of coyotes while out on our walks early in the morning or late at night. I've never felt in danger for me or my 18lbs Shiba Inu. Most of the time if the coyote stops at all they just sort of stare at you. With my dog on a leash I feel that I would be in good control of her so if the coyote were to try and approach us there wouldn't be any harm posed to her. She typically whimpers and pulls like she wants to play with them when we do see them like she does to any other dog

vengie
10-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Agreed with the walking stick. My dad always used to carry one when we walked our dog through Fish Creek for this reason.

jabjab
10-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
We've come across a couple of coyotes while out on our walks early in the morning or late at night. I've never felt in danger for me or my 18lbs Shiba Inu. Most of the time if the coyote stops at all they just sort of stare at you. With my dog on a leash I feel that I would be in good control of her so if the coyote were to try and approach us there wouldn't be any harm posed to her. She typically whimpers and pulls like she wants to play with them when we do see them like she does to any other dog

My half Schnauzer and half poodle is about 17 lbs now and only 7 months. If I didn't grab him he would have went after it wanting to play. If he sees a rabbit he goes full speed after it and I really have to hold onto the leash.

Have to invest in some training so he doesn't do that when he says wild animals.

Will look in getting something like this so i can use hiking as well:

https://www.amazon.ca/Anti-shock-Adjustable-Telescoping-Alpenstock-Mountaineering/dp/B00XZSWHUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475519435&sr=8-2&keywords=walking+stick

sabad66
10-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Pretty scary. I am always a little anxious when I walk my dog (25 lb corgi) off leash at nose hill and this post isn't helping lol

I usually have my chuck-it ball thrower thing with me but like other dogs she would probably run up to the coyote to play instead of stay near me, so would be hard to defend her

Gman.45
10-03-2016, 12:41 PM
When I'm at our place in Arizona I always carry a small handgun when walking our dogs, rarely any other time tbh, specifically due to a similar incident with a coyote and my dog. Unfortunately that option isn't allowed in Canada, but bear spray is - a walking stick vs a rabid coyote I don't think is something I'd like to trust, but it's better than nothing for sure.

shakalaka
10-03-2016, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by jabjab

My half Schnauzer and half poodle is about 17 lbs now and only 7 months. If I didn't grab him he would have went after it wanting to play. If he sees a rabbit he goes full speed after it and I really have to hold onto the leash.

Have to invest in some training so he doesn't do that when he says wild animals.

Will look in getting something like this so i can use hiking as well:

https://www.amazon.ca/Anti-shock-Adjustable-Telescoping-Alpenstock-Mountaineering/dp/B00XZSWHUK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475519435&sr=8-2&keywords=walking+stick

That's exactly the stick I had in mind as I picked up pretty much exactly that a month ago in Montana when we went for camping.

SkiBum5.0
10-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Sounds like you need a real dog.

I'm sure you're joking but a single large coyote would handle most domestic breeds. The bridgeland dog park had issues with a small pack 3 or so years ago. A large boxer (85 pounds) didn't stand a chance. Only once a dogwalker started walking Lobo, the wolf cross, did the problem go away.

CLiVE
10-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I see coyotes all the time bike commuting through Nose Hill in the early morning. I usually warn people on the pathway walking with dogs when I see one.

They quite often wait at the top of the hill from John Laurie in the trees.

jabjab
10-03-2016, 01:08 PM
When I had the bad feeling walking by the grassy area I bet that was the moment he was staring at us from trees and assessing the situation, kinda creepy.

nismodrifter
10-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Quite common in Fish Creek area, as well as on the old shawnee golf course, see them all the time just roaming around and then howing at night.

Kloubek
10-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

I'm sure you're joking but a single large coyote would handle most domestic breeds.

I agree. My Staffie is pretty built but I don't he'd fare very well against a Coyote, who has experience in the wild killing, if nothing else.

...and let's not forget that they like to hang out in packs as well. Good luck with that....

ercchry
10-03-2016, 02:42 PM
One on one I think any decently large dog would do okay, but would still require a vet visit... at the end of the day though they are pack animals and will give up against a superior alpha... I've spent almost my whole life living within a block of some part of fish creek or other natural areas and mostly with dogs and haven't had one step up yet. But I'd imagine a good boot to the face would do it... again, one on one... a pack is a different story

Ever since we got a second dog though I've noticed the pack mentality thing happen a few times... that's kinda scary when you're walking both and some entitled cow has her rat dog off leash. Usually the rat dog always barks and nips at the big guy who is really a bitch... then the little girl goes for the rat dog. Long story short this situation is why my dogs can't go to grandma's house :rofl:

Her 15lbs dog is such a little asshole

blubs
10-03-2016, 03:13 PM
For sure have to be careful with them, we have had a fair amount of problems with them at our acreage. Neighbours german shepherd has taken them on on a few occasions.

Buggers are smart too, always seem to start with one of them pretend limping and howling as if they are hurt.... Lures the dog out and then the pack jumps on them. Most times if you can see one there's a few more not far off. I keep the 22-250 in quick reach for this reason, anything to keep them in check. Not that this is an option in the city though.

GQBalla
10-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Get one of these

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/the-incredible-stun-baton/

shakalaka
10-03-2016, 08:56 PM
^Looks awesome. Trying to see what use I can put it to if I get it. lol

rx7_turbo2
10-03-2016, 09:12 PM
I live basically right on Nose Hill, have for many years and have had many encounters with coyotes over the years.

Here's my experience. First dog was an English Setter, second was a Springer Spaniel. Both dogs while off leash had numerous encounters with individual coyotes over the years. The encounters were similar to what OP described. My dogs would approach in "play mode" as if it were another dog, however something eventually triggers in them that the coyote doesn't want to play so the dogs stop short and a bit of a head game between dog and coyote ensues. In all cases, even with some growling the coyote ALWAYS bolted, the Setter would never chase, the Spaniel would chase just long enough to be satisfied he scared it off. These "one on one" encounters always made me nervous, even on dog walks I always carried a knife, but nothing ever escalated to that point.

Once however I ran into a group of coyotes while walking my Springer. Whole other ball game. The coyotes behaviour was completely different. They knew they were a bigger threat, I knew it and my dog seemed to understand as well. My dog was pretty much pinned to my side, I debated whether he'd have a better chance on or off leash if they came at him. I decided to snap his leash on. As the coyotes approached slowly, we backed up at a similar speed, the coyotes never seemed willing to close the gap between us they seemed content to keep it constant. Eventually when we had backed up onto a path that led into the neighbourhood the coyotes stopped and stood their ground and we went on our way. Depending on the size and breed of your dog my experience has been that a single coyote probably isn't willing to engage, but a group of coyotes is extremely intimidating and far more likely to escalate things.

jabjab
10-03-2016, 11:19 PM
Ordered the walking/hiking stick on Amazon that I posted before. Until it comes I'll just carry a knife. Hope these fuckers aren't waiting for me in the morning

BavarianBeast
10-04-2016, 05:52 AM
1 more reason not to have a little bitch dog

Minimalist
10-04-2016, 08:52 AM
I've seen in the early morning a skinny lone coyote in a small park in Bankview and another far larger male (thought it was a wolf) in the late evening in Altadore (near dog park), he was walking down the middle of the street. They can be found anywhere in Calgary I would say.

Having been 0-1 against a skunk and 0-1 against a porcupine, my small 17 pound dog is too dumb to run.

jabjab
10-04-2016, 09:43 AM
I wonder how a regular person would fair against a single coyote if needed to protect his dog if things took a turn for the worse... With a weapon like a pole or knife but bare hands...

SkiBum5.0
10-04-2016, 10:25 AM
You're biggest concern isn't a coyote's size - it's the size of it's canine teeth. Much longer and puncture wounds are deeper. That's what did in the boxer in my earlier example.

I would think a big breed not long removed from hunting would handle most coyotes. I'm thinking Rhodesian Ridgeback, german sheppard.

ercchry
10-04-2016, 10:28 AM
It's still a relatively small skittish wild dog... if it does come up towards you and your dog, it's still going to rethink its plan if you punt it in the face

C_Dave45
10-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
I would think a big breed not long removed from hunting would handle most coyotes. I'm thinking Rhodesian Ridgeback, german sheppard.

Or a GSP :rofl:

xYxxrH_2IKo

jabjab
10-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
It's still a relatively small skittish wild dog... if it does come up towards you and your dog, it's still going to rethink its plan if you punt it in the face

The one that I saw was pretty big, size of a full grown german shepard easily.

ercchry
10-04-2016, 11:13 AM

My German shepherd/black lab is 90lbs... I have never, ever seen a coyote remotely close to his size. Wolves are pretty big... and Those are pretty scary... and basically game over if one becomes aggressive

A gsp like Dave just posted for example is only 70lbs... and it straight up just drowned that coyote :rofl:

C_Dave45
10-04-2016, 11:25 AM

There is no way a coyote is that big. Either you;
a) Saw someone's ratty old German Shepard
b) Aren't good at judging size, or
c) It was a wolf. (Highly unlikely).

Coyotes will attack a cat, rabbit, small dog...but it would never attack a full sized dog on it's own. Maybe if there were a pack of them. We were camping at Boulton Creek one time. Our 75 lab had her bone outside. A coyote came down to find it. I was freaked out a bit and brought her inside. But I doubt anything would have happened.

CvrGxR9aLTY

ercchry
10-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Yeah, looked it up... 40-50lbs and the largest ever on file was killed in 1937 and was 75lbs. Wolves on the other hand can get up to 130lbs

jabjab
10-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Alright I might have misjudged its size cause I"m used to seeing them smaller. I would say it was a bit bigger than the one in the video.

I'm in the NW and I've heard that the coyotes there feed off the dump near the car dealerships so they tend to be a bit bigger.

Anomaly
10-04-2016, 11:48 AM

They look deceivingly large because of their coat. Most are 30-40lbs.
Most larger breed domesticated dogs will absolutely rag doll a Coyote, I've seen a Great Pyrenees take on multiple and walk away fine. Most healthy coyotes aren't interested in a one on one with a domesticated medium or large breed dog.

klumsy_tumbler
10-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Even if you only have your bare hands, you should be able to deal with a coyote if the situation really necessitated. Kick to the ribs or snap the neck. A stick would mean that you might not have to get that close to their teeth though :P

Will echo what others have said in earlier posts though - you have to watch out for when those little buggers are working in packs. A little dog's only hope is gonna be either running or having guardian angel(s) in the form of larger canine backup.

Just make sure you're staying aware of your surroundings, and work on your pup's recall training in case you ever find yourself too far away from your dog to do anything when you have an encounter.

rx7_turbo2
10-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Unless it's a freak of nature it's likely only 35lbs max.

The one on one encounters made me nervous but never afraid. Push comes to shove my dog or me or us both could take the single coyote. I didn't really want either of us to get bit though. A single coyote never challenged they always bolted eventually.

Darell_n
10-05-2016, 06:04 PM
I use to hunt coyotes with my family when I was younger and at home. We had 2 teams of 3 Russian / Irish wolf hound crosses and found that a single healthy coyote would handle a single, experienced hunting dog twice it's weight. (we would finish them with a hammer at very close range, no guns and no damage to the furs) They are also a multitude times more intelligent in the wilderness than any dog I've met and are almost always in a pack and will bait & trap dogs, as already mentioned.

As far as walking with a little rat dog on a leash, I can't see a coyote coming anywhere close to a person, even if the coyote was mangy and starving.

Our Alpha 'King' was 150 lbs and could run 70 kph, jump over a pickup truck at speed.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images15/IrishWolfhoundFrankBrendan.JPG (wiki photo)

FYI, an actual wolf will kill / cripple 4 or 5 of these dogs in one sitting. Don't fuck with a wolf. Been there, done that a few times.

legendboy
10-05-2016, 07:23 PM
I live in hidden valley, we use to have tons of coyotes until the ring road. Now not so much. Tons of jack rabbits. My one neighbour has lost cats so far. Dogs usually find the left overs.

Trying to kill wild coyotes is hard out in the bush. Soon as they see a truck pull over they are gone!! Even half km away

Originally posted by Darell_n
I use to hunt coyotes with my family when I was younger and at home. We had 2 teams of 3 Russian / Irish wolf hound crosses and found that a single healthy coyote would handle a single, experienced hunting dog twice it's weight. (we would finish them with a hammer at very close range, no guns and no damage to the furs) They are also a multitude times more intelligent in the wilderness than any dog I've met and are almost always in a pack and will bait & trap dogs, as already mentioned.

As far as walking with a little rat dog on a leash, I can't see a coyote coming anywhere close to a person, even if the coyote was mangy and starving.

Our Alpha 'King' was 150 lbs and could run 70 kph, jump over a pickup truck at speed.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images15/IrishWolfhoundFrankBrendan.JPG (wiki photo)

FYI, an actual wolf will kill / cripple 4 or 5 of these dogs in one sitting. Don't fuck with a wolf. Been there, done that a few times.

want one!

silver03gt
10-05-2016, 07:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI

Darell_n
10-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
I live in hidden valley, we use to have tons of coyotes until the ring road. Now not so much. Tons of jack rabbits. My one neighbour has lost cats so far. Dogs usually find the left overs.

Trying to kill wild coyotes is hard out in the bush. Soon as they see a truck pull over they are gone!! Even half km away

want one!

We use it feed it frozen expired meat from the local grocery stores. Toss it a frozen solid 4 pack of T-bone steaks and it would catch it, bite it in half and swallow it in 5 seconds. Bone and all. I couldn't afford to feed one now, not even a pup. Each dog got 2 or 3 pounds of frozen meat each day.

Darell_n
10-05-2016, 09:24 PM
That video is pretty good. This is what they do to domestic dogs that won't fight. Testing the guy's responses. Guaranteed there are many more watching closely and ready to throw down.

theken
10-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Coyotes trapped my buddies 2 Rottweilers in riverbend a few years back, and the coyotes went after them with the Human there, coyotes didn't fare well, but got their bites in. I don't walk mine off leash anywhere, but his vet bills would cripple me if he got into it with a coyote (English mastiff)

jabjab
10-06-2016, 07:19 AM
I always walk my dog on a leash unless its during the day in a dog park that is closed off with a fence. Wouldn't want to take any risks. Saw another coyote this morning but it was minding its own business and was much further away. It was actually my dog that spotted it and just gave it a curious glance in that direction and then went on to poop.

J-hop
10-06-2016, 07:47 AM
That video is pretty good. This is what they do to domestic dogs that won't fight. Testing the guy's responses. Guaranteed there are many more watching closely and ready to throw down.

That is what I worry about. Dogs chasing down a single coyote only to met by a few of its buds on the other side of a hill.

I notice a huge difference in the way our most recent dog (a reserve rescue) reacts to them compared to city dogs. She won't try to chase them, gets laser focused, won't turn her back to it and slowly moves away with us. A rabbit she will pretty much rip your arm off trying to get at but she seems smart enough or have the experience to know tangling with a coyote is a no win situation. The reaction of most city/bred dogs seems to be the exact opposite.

legendboy
10-06-2016, 08:03 AM

We use it feed it frozen expired meat from the local grocery stores. Toss it a frozen solid 4 pack of T-bone steaks and it would catch it, bite it in half and swallow it in 5 seconds. Bone and all. I couldn't afford to feed one now, not even a pup. Each dog got 2 or 3 pounds of frozen meat each day.

I put my garbage out one Thursday early morning and there was a coyote standing right in front of my alley gate.

It took off as soon as we made eye contact, which I think it normal coyote response.

I would find it interesting to come upon a pack of 3-4 with my dog and one of those batons :D

Coyotes are free for the killing outside the city limits!

Waldi
10-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

There is no way a coyote is that big. Either you;
a) Saw someone's ratty old German Shepard
b) Aren't good at judging size, or
c) It was a wolf. (Highly unlikely).

Coyotes will attack a cat, rabbit, small dog...but it would never attack a full sized dog on it's own. Maybe if there were a pack of them. We were camping at Boulton Creek one time. Our 75 lab had her bone outside. A coyote came down to find it. I was freaked out a bit and brought her inside. But I doubt anything would have happened.

CvrGxR9aLTY
I have german shepherd and there are few coyotes around, I have seen one that was size of my GS. It was scary, perhaps it was coywolf, as those are getting more and more present. I not worried about regular coyotes, but the one I have seen about 80 yards away, was very big.

sabad66
10-06-2016, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Waldi

I have german shepherd and there are few coyotes around, I have seen one that was size of my GS. It was scary, perhaps it was coywolf, as those are getting more and more present. I not worried about regular coyotes, but the one I have seen about 80 yards away, was very big.
are gray wolves/coywolfs common in and around Calgary?

rx7boi
10-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
Yeah, looked it up... 40-50lbs and the largest ever on file was killed in 1937 and was 75lbs. Wolves on the other hand can get up to 130lbs

Wolves ain't no joke. I'd probably shit my pants if I ever encountered a wolf.

Good thing they typically avoid humans.

gretz
10-06-2016, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi

I'd probably shit my pants if I ever encountered a wolf.

Likely the best chance of survival, good strategy

Brent.ff
10-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

are gray wolves/coywolfs common in and around Calgary?

ummmmm no, not common in the least. Has there ever been a confirmed wolf within the city limits?

dirtsniffer
10-06-2016, 03:17 PM
When I was in elementary school in woodlands our school was put on lockdown because of a wolf in the school field.

C_Dave45
10-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by gretz

Likely the best chance of survival, good strategy :rofl:
Think I'll try that next time I'm in a fight.

GQBalla
10-06-2016, 06:41 PM
My husky and gf were walking at nose hill when the husky all the sudden started growling and had his cackles raised. All the sudden two coyotes poked their heard up out of the grass. Supposedly less the 20 feet away from them.

Girlfriend and the husky just backed up but they followed them for a bit.

My new dogo Argentino is so sweet and loving. I don't know how she will be in these types of situations.

The husky is pretty wild. Got him as a pup from Morley. We've put a lot of time and training into him but his prey drive is still pretty up there.

The dogo is a hefty tank though. 4 months old and 40 pounds. Her mom was 80 pounds iirc dad was 90.

Minimalist
10-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
My husky and gf were walking at nose hill when the husky all the sudden started growling and had his cackles raised. All the sudden two coyotes poked their heard up out of the grass. Supposedly less the 20 feet away from them.

Girlfriend and the husky just backed up but they followed them for a bit.

My new dogo Argentino is so sweet and loving. I don't know how she will be in these types of situations.

The husky is pretty wild. Got him as a pup from Morley. We've put a lot of time and training into him but his prey drive is still pretty up there.

The dogo is a hefty tank though. 4 months old and 40 pounds. Her mom was 80 pounds iirc dad was 90.

I'd be more afraid of a Dogo Argentino than a coyote.