PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going camping this weekend? (Thanksgiving)

C_Dave45
10-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Taking one last trip for the year. Cold out there already. Might get a dusting of snow in higher elevations.
Anyone else going?

ExtraSlow
10-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Nope, you go ahead.

redblack
10-06-2016, 08:07 PM
Cos is heading out

g-m
10-06-2016, 10:42 PM
I'll prolly go

C_Dave45
10-07-2016, 06:15 AM
6:00 am, all packed and ready to go, and still haven't decided where. Elkwood maybe..Lower lake...

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Nope, you go ahead.
Lol...you're all done?

spike98
10-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Our last weekend was last weekend. Did the thanksgiving dinner then. Stuffing gets cold fast when its 5C out :whipped:

Other than that it was a great weekend with the best day being the last...as always.

SOAB
10-07-2016, 09:15 AM
my last camping trip was in the middle of September. when the temp doesn't get over 10 degrees during the day, there is no point cause I don't want to hang out outside anyway.

spike98
10-07-2016, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
my last camping trip was in the middle of September. when the temp doesn't get over 10 degrees during the day, there is no point cause I don't want to hang out outside anyway.

When its late in the year, we hit up group camps. They have cook houses that we all gather in to stay warm and be social. The only crazies that run around and roll in the mud are the kids. 3 finger rye and a lawn chair is great by the fire place.

civic_stylez
10-07-2016, 09:37 AM
Wont be camping but will be doing high elevation hiking.Im not a hunter but ill definitely be bringing the bigger guns out as the bears are super active now.

C_Dave45
10-07-2016, 10:06 AM
Fuckin weather. :banghead: :whipped:
Trip cancelled.

Good job Global.

Tuesday, Oct 4 forecast:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Global%20prediction%20on%20Tuesdsay_zpsrk6gzqqv.jpg

G-ZUS
10-07-2016, 10:21 AM
Sorry, I've been calling it all week and it happened

lasimmon
10-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Fuckin weather. :banghead: :whipped:
Trip cancelled.

Good job Global.

Tuesday, Oct 4 forecast:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Global%20prediction%20on%20Tuesdsay_zpsrk6gzqqv.jpg

Did you really not look at a forecast since then?

Its been calling for snow since wednesday.

C_Dave45
10-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Did you really not look at a forecast since then?

Its been calling for snow since wednesday.
No...I've been paying attention every single day. Right up until the snow is currently blowing sideways and my truck is covered in snow right now.

I figured if they could be completely out of touch with the forecast as little as 3 days ago, then maybe, JUST maybe, they could be wrong about the entire 3 day weekend.

Was trying to be optimistic and still head out, but finally decided against it. Kananaskis is another 1,500 feet elevation. Forecast is all the same -5 to +4 with nothing but snow and rain.

Can't even put up the awning or a tarp in this weather, so sitting by the fire isn't really enjoyable. And 4 days sitting inside the trailer just doesn't appeal.

Plus I'm not too keen on pulling 9,000 lbs over snowy roads and windy conditions.

Even on Wednesday, while they called for possible snow flurry on Friday, the entire weekend was forecasted with highs of between 8 and 11, with no precipitation expected.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Wed%20oct%205%20forecast_zpsmjse7dll.jpg

roopi
10-07-2016, 10:34 AM
That all sounds like Globals fault.

C_Dave45
10-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by roopi
That all sounds like Globals fault.
Right?

I don't know why they bother with those 7 day forecast graphics. All they do is change it every single day according to what's current.

They might as well just change their strategy. At least they'd be hitting 1.000:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/99/17/00/991700f63d9427c720571a481bf68009.jpg

AndyL
10-07-2016, 11:16 AM
If y'all do go - be careful, south and west of calgary is getting hammered.

There's already a fatal MVC on 22 west of priddis golf.

C_Dave45
10-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
If y'all do go - be careful, south and west of calgary is getting hammered.

There's already a fatal MVC on 22 west of priddis golf.
Fuuuuck. Looks like we made the right call.

blownz
10-07-2016, 03:04 PM
I had a site booked in Canyon Campground in Radium Hot Springs but cancelled about 2 weeks ago as I just wasn't feeling it. Very glad I did as I would have been trying to pass through Calgary and Banff around noon today. Snow hasn't made it up to Edmonton yet, but is supposed to.

Thaco
10-07-2016, 03:13 PM
i'd be out there if i could, but the wife got laid off so its time to cut unnecessary expenses.

C_Dave45
10-07-2016, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by blownz
I had a site booked in Canyon Campground in Radium Hot Springs but cancelled about 2 weeks ago as I just wasn't feeling it. Very glad I did as I would have been trying to pass through Calgary and Banff around noon today. Snow hasn't made it up to Edmonton yet, but is supposed to.
That would have been a gross drive. Traffic out there is ridiculous. I went out for a quick drive and got so aggravated I went and bought myself a little something for the hot tub this afternoon:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/20161007_160639_zpsepmymwne.jpg

ExtraSlow
10-07-2016, 08:11 PM
Did some hiking out in k-country west of bragg creek today. Highway 1 west of the city was icy this morning in spots. Visibility was shit, but the day turned out kind of decent for the hike anyway. Was not what I'd call camping weather though.

redline
10-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Got out to the trailer to winterized it Friday morning glad it did not leave it any longer.... stupid Alberta

AndyL
10-10-2016, 09:46 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/IMG_20161010_132026_zps1x0twxca.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/FB_IMG_1476132722128_zps1bwyv3mr.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i277/cgyreefer/IMG_20161010_170346_zpsbjmnyvu4.jpg

What was I saying? ;) I fucking impress myself sometimes - back corner between slide and rear wall was the only superstructure connected to the frame... Thought we'd be ordering bins and bringing out a bobcat...

BlueHaloGirl
10-11-2016, 01:24 PM
I went camping this past weekend at Crimson Lake up by Rocky Mountain House. The drive up Friday night was long...3hours as the highway had black ice and lots of cars in the ditch.
Had a great weekend though, only us three trailers in the loop, we all had heaters and the furnaces going.
Three truck loads of firewood and a fire going steady with a shelter built with two propane heaters.
Had a great thanksgiving dinner, turkey on the BBQ with all the fixings. Yes we had snow all around and fresh snow every morning but it was a blast!!!
Best tradition ever!!!!

blownz
10-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

That would have been a gross drive. Traffic out there is ridiculous. I went out for a quick drive and got so aggravated I went and bought myself a little something for the hot tub this afternoon:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/20161007_160639_zpsepmymwne.jpg

I like how you think! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by AndyL

What was I saying? ;) I fucking impress myself sometimes - back corner between slide and rear wall was the only superstructure connected to the frame... Thought we'd be ordering bins and bringing out a bobcat...

Yikes! What happened? Everyone okay?

Thaco
10-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by redline
Got out to the trailer to winterized it Friday morning glad it did not leave it any longer.... stupid Alberta yeah i'm a bit concerned for mine, i haven't got out to do it yet, wont be able to until this weekend hope i don't have a mess to deal with.

shakalaka
10-11-2016, 02:14 PM
I drove to Edmonton from Calgary on Friday and it took me 5 hours. Saw over 10 cars in ditches.

C_Dave45
10-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by BlueHaloGirl
I went camping this past weekend at Crimson Lake up by Rocky Mountain House. The drive up Friday night was long...3hours as the highway had black ice and lots of cars in the ditch.
Had a great weekend though, only us three trailers in the loop, we all had heaters and the furnaces going.
Three truck loads of firewood and a fire going steady with a shelter built with two propane heaters.
Had a great thanksgiving dinner, turkey on the BBQ with all the fixings. Yes we had snow all around and fresh snow every morning but it was a blast!!!
Best tradition ever!!!!

Good for you!! :clap: I love being out there with some snow around us. It did that a few years ago at Boulton Creek and it was awesome. I was just really nervous to pull the trailer. Wasn't sure how bad the roads might get.

Originally posted by shakalaka
I drove to Edmonton from Calgary on Friday and it took me 5 hours. Saw over 10 cars in ditches.

Yeah, my wife would have been having a heart attack if we were pulling the rig and saw stuff like that.
Its supposed to warm up quite a bit next weekend. Might just head out to McLean for one last trip. I blew out my lines and put in anti-freeze in all the P-traps, so I'm good even if we decide not to go.

Perfect Dark
10-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by BlueHaloGirl
Best tradition ever!!!!

I have a spot right across the road at Wilderness Village! My ex went out there this weekend and said that the water lines were intermittently frozen (in the ground, not the trailer) but other than that it was great camping as long as you were bundled up.

AndyL
10-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by blownz

Yikes! What happened? Everyone okay?

Slide and jack knife - truck stayed upright. Everyone's Ok, just a couple wrecked vehicles.