PDA

View Full Version : What is with parts shop hours?

J-hop
10-08-2016, 05:26 PM
So this has been bugging me for a while and I can't seem to make sense of it. It seems that every parts shop that sells parts for specific makes (I'm not talking about napa, autovalue etc) has the worst hours for the average customer. They close at the latest 6pm on week days then have very limited hours on Saturday and are closed Sunday. Making it near impossible to make it there during the week and then have to plan saturdays around getting to the shop.

Is this because they don't make enough money off local walk in customers to warrant being open reasonable hours for the average 8-5er customer? Anyone here own one of these shops and can comment? I wonder why they don't do something like having one late night per week?

JustinMCS
10-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Back when I had a Pontiac and Stampede Pontiac was still around, their parts department was open till MIDNIGHT! Totally spoiled.

Now I am in the same boat as you, they are only open really when their service department needs parts. :/

MR2-3SGTE
10-08-2016, 06:52 PM
I noticed this as well, I'm sure they did their research and discovered it wasn't worthwhile to be open late. The same stores in the states are open till 9pm. Some auto values do stay open till 9 on weekdays though. The ones in NE for sure.

J-hop
10-08-2016, 07:15 PM
Yea it's been driving me insane lately. I'm trying to finish a car and I find if I need/want a part that I know a shop has my options are (1) wait a week to go pick up the part and tell the significant other we need to push our plans to go hiking out later so I can make it to the shop (2) spend $24 on parking downtown so I can rush out after work during the week and try to make it to the shop before closing

I guess I could have them mail the smaller parts to me or something but that seems silly....

Darkane
10-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Well honestly, try to plan ahead work and have some foresight. Then, order the parts online and they'll be here for you. Also, it'll save you money.

Sentry
10-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Auto Values, and also Bowness Auto Parts tend to be open later hours than your typical Napa, etc. Those are my go-to in the NW.

Maxt
10-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Back in the day Renfrew's parts department was open until really late, or 24hr, I can't remember... I just remember getting a head gasket for a VW motor there one night around midnight.. Dodge once used VW motors in their small cars..

HomespunLobster
10-08-2016, 07:52 PM
I know when I worked at a tire shop, when we needed parts from dealerships or whatever they did do in town delivery. Maybe call it in and ask if they deliver to customers?

J-hop
10-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
Well honestly, try to plan ahead work and have some foresight. Then, order the parts online and they'll be here for you. Also, it'll save you money.

Hehe.

Obviously parts I can foresee needing I order online. But something breaks I don't want to wait 2 weeks while a new part farts around at customs when I know a local shop has the part...

Darkane
10-08-2016, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

Hehe.

Obviously parts I can foresee needing I order online. But something breaks I don't want to wait 2 weeks while a new part farts around at customs when I know a local shop has the part...

I know. I wasn't trying to be condescending or anything. I feel your pain, my pain is mostly fittings. Lowes, Home Depot, napa are my stores.

roll_over
10-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Why cant you call during the day pay over the phone and ask them to leave it with reception

J-hop
10-08-2016, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
Why cant you call during the day pay over the phone and ask them to leave it with reception

So what I was mostly referring to was smaller part shops not dealers. Believe it or not for my car the dealership is one of the worst sources of parts in terms of stocking parts.

SKR
10-08-2016, 09:41 PM
On the farm we called for what we needed and got them to leave it outside, if we weren't going to make it to town before they closed. You'd get there and there'd be a big stack of shit there for other people in the same boat. Too bad that wouldn't work in a big city because once word got out every scumbag in town would go shopping at 5:10, but it might get you out of a jam once.

SKR
10-08-2016, 09:44 PM
Get in good with your parts guy and tell him to take it home with him, and then pick it up at his house later.

Obviously I know nothing about parts stores because I don't know anything about anything, but I would think the majority of their business is to other businesses. No sense being open when your customers aren't.

J-hop
10-09-2016, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by SKR
Get in good with your parts guy and tell him to take it home with him, and then pick it up at his house later.

Obviously I know nothing about parts stores because I don't know anything about anything, but I would think the majority of their business is to other businesses. No sense being open when your customers aren't.

I was kind of wondering about that. I'll use autodream (parts side) as an example, I've never dealt with them at all so nothing I say is a reflection on them. But for a commoner looking at their business I would think most of their clients are private customers. But their hours suggest that someone like me isn't their prime business. Do these smaller shops somehow act as middlemen for larger shops? Or is their primary business online? Just unsure what makes these shops go, I'm sure there is an intelligent and well thought out reason for it. Maybe it is as mentioned that local private customers aren't a significant enough portion of their business.

SKR
10-09-2016, 06:36 AM
My guess would be they're selling parts to local mechanics or body shops or whatever. Those independent shops probably don't stock much themselves, and can't wait for a day or two for parts to be shipped in. So they use local parts stores to supply them.

I just had the brakes done on my truck last week, and I know the mechanic I went to doesn't stock that kind of stuff. But he got it done that day so he got the parts from somewhere in town.

Maxx Mazda
10-09-2016, 07:50 AM
What I do for Mazda, is download the parts diagrams, so I know exactly the part number I'm looking for. Phone it in, pay with credit card, and pick it up the next day. If you work a 9-5, you should be able to sneak off on your lunch break?

tirebob
10-09-2016, 08:01 AM
Not being a parts store but having the same business issues, speading out hours is a lot more expensive to deal with and makes it tough being a smaller guy. Opening more does not just mean you get more business, but more often than not it means doing almost the same amount yet spead across 6 or 7 days instead of 5. Thjs means you have to hire more people as well as other expenditures or having zero life for a few people and work all the time. I know for me I have to keep overhead down and work regular 5 day weeks or it pushes me backwards, short of the busy season where every appointment is booked 6 days a week.

It is often simply about survival. If people need what you are selling, they will find a way to come in during normal hours. If you are always busy and normal hours are not enough to get the majority of your customers sorted out, then it makes sense to open more.

ExtraSlow
10-09-2016, 08:35 AM
Bob's shop is a good example. If he is going to extend the hours even a few like 7-7 or 7-9, he's suddenly got to have either two shifts of workers, or a manager working a split shift to open up and lock up, or something. The headaches are pretty big once you are past about nine hours.

J-hop
10-09-2016, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by tirebob
Not being a parts store but having the same business issues, speading out hours is a lot more expensive to deal with and makes it tough being a smaller guy. Opening more does not just mean you get more business, but more often than not it means doing almost the same amount yet spead across 6 or 7 days instead of 5. Thjs means you have to hire more people as well as other expenditures or having zero life for a few people and work all the time. I know for me I have to keep overhead down and work regular 5 day weeks or it pushes me backwards, short of the busy season where every appointment is booked 6 days a week.

It is often simply about survival. If people need what you are selling, they will find a way to come in during normal hours. If you are always busy and normal hours are not enough to get the majority of your customers sorted out, then it makes sense to open more.

Thanks for the input. I have just found for myself (and im sure many others) parts shops having these hours is driving more and more of my purchases online. It used to be about a 60/40 split between online/local purchases for me when I worked a part time job and went to school as I could actually make it to the shop. Now that I have a regular job it's gone to about a 90/10 split.

To save spending more on employees I wonder why shifting hours once a week doesn't seem to ever have been tried. Especially at shops that don't do any sort of mechanical work.

tirebob
10-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the input. I have just found for myself (and im sure many others) parts shops having these hours is driving more and more of my purchases online. It used to be about a 60/40 split between online/local purchases for me when I worked a part time job and went to school as I could actually make it to the shop. Now that I have a regular job it's gone to about a 90/10 split.

To save spending more on employees I wonder why shifting hours once a week doesn't seem to ever have been tried. Especially at shops that don't do any sort of mechanical work. i actually did try those things over the last few years... rather than monday to Friday I tried going Tuesday to Saturday. I also tried opening early and closing later and spreading out employee start and finish times. The last thing I tried was the Monday to Saturday thing. All failed and cost more money than any offset increase in sales. It is pretty tough. Shops like me rely on being good at what we do and being solid people to keep people wanting to put a bit of extra effort in to dealing with us. I know we will not get everyone and will lose some people to the internet, but really chasing those customers is not good business because they are not loyal and will always move down the road for a hit of extra convenience or a few percent of savings. That is not a dig at you or anything at all man... It is simply a fact of the modern world. If you want to be able to survive in a local economy as a business, you better be good at what you do and develop a strong, loyal and local customer base or you don't stand a chance against big business or the world wide web. Changing hours only draws in a few customers of convenience, but often at too great an expense.

It sucks really, I know, but it is the constraints we face.

J-hop
10-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Thanks for all the insight Bob. I was hoping someone on the inside would post their experiences rather than us just guessing. Thanks!

speedog
10-09-2016, 10:03 AM

To save spending more on employees I wonder why shifting hours once a week doesn't seem to ever have been tried. Especially at shops that don't do any sort of mechanical work.

There are behind the scenes processes that complicate things. An example would be incoming deliveries, many companies that supply retailers have set delivery schedules that preclude having someone there during regular daytime hours (9-5). Leases may not allow business to be performed outside of certain hours. It also is not as simple as scheduling one or two employees to work a late shift, say until 9pm as you will always have that customer shows up at 8:55pm who requires 15 or 30 minutes of assistance. Now you have two employees who still have to do the closing routine except it extends later resulting in extra wages incurred for the owner.

It is such a double edged sword really, that is extending business hours and especially so in this world of on-line competition. Myself, I purchase nothing on-line as I like the face to face interaction I can get when purchasing locally. Case in point, I could easily get filters for my hot tub on-line and for probably as cheap if not cheaper than locally but by establishing a relationship with a local shop I can also get plenty of free expert advice and you know what, I will adapt to this shop's 9-5 hours because that relationship is worth something to me. Same goes for tirebob's shop, I only recently started doing business with him but I will return to his shop and continue to make referrals to his shop because of the great service and honest advice and if that means adapting my schedule to fit his then so be it. He needs a regular life and so do his employees and I am not all that high and almighty that he needs to bend to my needs. Put it this way, it will be a sad day if Costco becomes the only local tire shop option.

J-hop
10-09-2016, 10:15 AM
^ sorry I wasn't trying to be "high and mighty" and suggest shops need to bend to my needs. That is absolutely not how I wanted to come off. Rather I saw a potential loss businesses were incurring because their hours can be quite inconvenient for the average customer which may further push them towards online purchasing (did in my case for sure).

tirebob
10-09-2016, 10:28 AM
I don't think you came across poorly at all man... It is totally a legitimate question! By asking it, you give us small business owners an opportunity to explain our side of things and and that is an opportunity to maybe sway others who thought the same thing our way... That is good!

speedog
10-09-2016, 10:30 AM
^ sorry I wasn't trying to be "high and mighty" and suggest shops need to bend to my needs. That is absolutely not how I wanted to come off. Rather I saw a potential loss businesses were incurring because their hours can be quite inconvenient for the average customer which may further push them towards online purchasing (did in my case for sure).

It's quite unfortunate that 90% of your purchases are online now as you say. In the end, only non-franchise chains and big box will most likely be able to aggressively compete with online and that almost always will be to the detriment of good customer service and sage local advice. Costco it will be I suppose.

max_boost
10-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Because it ain't worth it

GTR_Auto
10-09-2016, 11:38 AM
I think for the most part Bob has stated the answer. But as others have stated if you ask usually arrangements can be made! On several occasions I have brought parts home, met somewhere, stayed late, come in on the weekend ect. I am pretty flexible that way I guess. Where as I am sure some places would not do that.

HiTempguy1
10-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Amazon prime? Next day delivery, or two day delivery. I too like face to face interactions, but lets face it, most people suck, so I rarely have a decent experience walking in the door. Or prices are so eye-gougingly outrageous, it just doesnt make sense.

How cool would it be if a shop installed their own "mailboxes" with digital locks on them. Customer pays via visa, shop sends customer the randomized code that is different every day, customer can pickup parts after hours.

Would actually be very inexpensive to do. I'd love a place like that.

speedog
10-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Rarely have a decent experience? Hell, I'm the opposite of that, even have great interactions at Superstore, Canadian Tire, etcetera. What are you not bringing to the table?

J-hop
10-09-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Amazon prime? Next day delivery, or two day delivery. I too like face to face interactions, but lets face it, most people suck, so I rarely have a decent experience walking in the door. Or prices are so eye-gougingly outrageous, it just doesnt make sense.

How cool would it be if a shop installed their own "mailboxes" with digital locks on them. Customer pays via visa, shop sends customer the randomized code that is different every day, customer can pickup parts after hours.

Would actually be very inexpensive to do. I'd love a place like that.

Lock boxes, now that is a cool idea. I'm on a bidding site where we do similar, a bin system is set up so you pick up the items whenever and leave the seller money. It's super convenient and surprisingly few problems.

I imagine there would be some snags with a business like insurance on the items in the boxes in case someone decides to break into them. but it's a cool idea!

HiTempguy1
10-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Rarely have a decent experience? Hell, I'm the opposite of that, even have great interactions at Superstore, Canadian Tire, etcetera. What are you not bringing to the table?

You've met me, I'm a pretty cheerful/chatty individual in person. But lets be honest, usually the service at the places you've listed is downright awful.

Yes, I am surprised every once in a while, but as a (usually) informed individual, I most often do not have questions besides "where is this thing I can't find in your stores confusing layout" and "your website says this is in stock, is it in the back?"

So yes, I still prefer to do most shopping online, plus it is usually cheaper and saves me time. :dunno:

J-hop - inorite? I honestly don't think you'd need special insurance if the boxes were locked, if you did, it would be super cheap relative to the value (probably have a limit of like max $500 worth of items in the box).

I really should sell some people on that idea and come up with a system,...

speedog
10-09-2016, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

You've met me, I'm a pretty cheerful/chatty individual in person. But lets be honest, usually the service at the places you've listed is downright awful.

Yes, I am surprised every once in a while, but as a (usually) informed individual, I most often do not have questions besides "where is this thing I can't find in your stores confusing layout" and "your website says this is in stock, is it in the back?"

So yes, I still prefer to do most shopping online, plus it is usually cheaper and saves me time. :dunno:

J-hop - inorite? I honestly don't think you'd need special insurance if the boxes were locked, if you did, it would be super cheap relative to the value (probably have a limit of like max $500 worth of items in the box).

I really should sell some people on that idea and come up with a system,...

Yeah, I know we've met but sometimes a person brings something with them that they're not even aware of - my parents get the worst service in restaurants that we get great service and if we're all there together, the service is bad. They just have some sort of vibe.

Anyhow, how is the drill press - working okay?

ExtraSlow
10-09-2016, 09:39 PM
I fucking love buying online, but I have found a local tire shop that has earned my business, and tirebob will be seeing me soon for another set.

I will shop online for price comparison, and if it's anything like last time, he'll be earning my business with competitive pricing as well.

I wish I had a local supplier for all my purchases as great as UrbanExpressions.

03ozwhip
10-17-2016, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I fucking love buying online, but I have found a local tire shop that has earned my business, and tirebob will be seeing me soon for another set.

I will shop online for price comparison, and if it's anything like last time, he'll be earning my business with competitive pricing as well.

I wish I had a local supplier for all my purchases as great as UrbanExpressions.
I live in Strathmore and the hours here are ridiculous. I often try not to travel to Calgary for things, but as of this weekend, Jordan and Bob are the only 2 guys I'll deal with from here on in.

on Saturday I went to my local kal tire at 1pm to find that they are only open for 8-12 on Saturdays....during winter hours...wtf...

so I head over to ask my questions at my local Fountain Tire, I was just checking the hub bore...

me: Hey can you check the hub bore for me and order some hub centric rings if I need them?

FT: Oh we don't have a way to measure hub bore.....

me: you are a fucking tire shop bud....

FT: ya we just don't deal with custom wheels, we just order the bolt pattern and they should fit...

this is EXACTLY what was said between us....it was unbelievable. I've know Jordan since grade 10 so I bit the bullet and went to Calgary and I'll just do it from now on.

riander5
10-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Why do they have shit hours? Why do banks have shit hours? Easy answer, they cater to their biggest customers (IE Businesses) not average consumers

ExtraSlow
10-17-2016, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by riander5
Why do they have shit hours? Why do banks have shit hours? Easy answer, they cater to their biggest customers (IE Businesses) not average consumers Banks these days have great hours.
My Local RBC Branch Hours:
Mon: 9:30 - 5:00
Tue: 9:30 - 5:00
Wed: 9:30 - 8:00
Thu: 9:30 - 8:00
Fri: 9:30 - 6:00
Sat: 9:00 - 4:00

The nearest TD branch hours:
Hours:
Monday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Tuesday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM