PDA

View Full Version : When tire shops go bad - wheel damage

acedia
10-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Am I just the unluckiest sonofabitch alive?

The last 4 times I've had tires swapped on my wheels, 3 times have left me with damaged wheels. I'm ready to pull my hair out.

First time several years ago, 4 new tires on our Honda Odyssey. Wife gets the van home, I go have a look, and all four tires have significant damage. The tire shop accepts responsibility, and all four tires are sent to a wheel shop for refinishing. We get 4 wheels to use in the meantime as it took a while... huge PITA, but at least they took care of us.

Second time, the dealership we bought our vehicle from puts a set of tires on... damages all four fucking wheels. We settle on it, concessions are made with our lease return, they take responsibility, which is good, but jesus christ man I'm tire of this.

Third tire story, new set on the truck, no problems.

Last one, I just have a small nail hole fixed on my month old VW wheel, sure as shit the wheel comes back scratched to hell. Clamp marks from the machine, a gouge or two, and it looks like it got kicked around the shop a few times when the rubber was off.

Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just cursed? I'm about to start insisting on having the fucking owner do my tire work as I watch over his shoulder. Surely a tire can be taken off of a wheel without scratching it?!?!

Sorry, just venting here. My brand new VW now has 40-50 scratch marks on it, and they're all on one wheel. :whipped: :whipped:

Maxx Mazda
10-11-2016, 09:15 PM
That sure sounds tiring...

redblack
10-11-2016, 09:17 PM
You need to start using urban expressions for your tire needs

prae
10-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
That sure sounds tiring...

I'd be wheely pissed off if I was him.

shakalaka
10-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Wow...this must completely flatten your mood every time.

ricosuave
10-11-2016, 10:18 PM
I'd go and take a round out of the shop that did that.

Sugarphreak
10-11-2016, 11:48 PM

acedia
10-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Very punny, boys. :D

HiTempguy1
10-12-2016, 08:36 AM
All I read was you clearly didn't learn your lesson the first, second, third or fourth time :dunno:

codetrap
10-12-2016, 08:40 AM

94boosted
10-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Seems like the stem of your problems is the dealership.

I've also had bad luck with dealerships touching my wheels, therefore I usually only use SpecR or UrbanX for tire change overs, I know they both have the touchless equipment.

littledan
10-12-2016, 09:25 AM
you go in with high hopes and end up coming out deflated.

darthVWader
10-12-2016, 09:45 AM
Have you spoked to the manager :dunno:

lilmira
10-12-2016, 09:54 AM
I hope you'll gain some traction soon in resolving your problem.

01RedDX
10-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Rocket1k78
10-12-2016, 10:17 AM
This is wheely unfortunate but start using Gary and Cort at urban x and it will never happen again :poosie:

acedia
10-12-2016, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
All I read was you clearly didn't learn your lesson the first, second, third or fourth time :dunno:

Shit, I must have had a couple too many whiskeys last night when I was posting... forgot to mention that these 3 instances of damage are from 3 different places.

#1 was a tire shop, #2 was the dealership, #3 was a different tire shop.

So apart from just replacing the entire wheel and tire every time my rubber wears out, I guess I just have to hope tire place #4 is competent. ha ha

Or time my next replacement with a drive into Calgary as mentioned. :)

Maxx Mazda
10-12-2016, 07:31 PM
That sure is a high pressure situation.

BokCh0y
10-12-2016, 07:34 PM
You aren't the only one...

I had a tire shop destroy a TPMS sensor on my old IS350, had to fight to get them to replace it and prove it was them that the damage.

Same tire shop also scratched the fuck out of my E46 style 72 rims.

Have not been back there ever.

Neb
03-24-2017, 11:32 AM
There's been a lot of crap service/work quality in a number of industries as of late. I'm guessing it has to do with companies not bothering to properly train their staff.

It's enough to make you want to take photos of your vehicle right before taking it in for maintenance.

mr2mike
03-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Tread over to the best tire shop a-round. Urban X.

gretz
03-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Tread over to the best tire shop a-round. Urban X.

siped the words right out of my mouth

Mitsu3000gt
03-24-2017, 02:55 PM
A nice reminder for everyone to take pictures of their wheels before sending them in I guess. That would indeed be super annoying. I'm guessing the "wheel swapper" guy is the lowest on the totem pole at most shops as well, which probably means lower quality work/less care in some cases as bad as that sounds.

It takes ~15 mins for 2 people to swap a set of wheels with a jack, electric impact gun, and torque wrench - you could consider keeping your winter tires on cheap rims and doing it yourself too to guarantee no further issues (also if the cheap rim gets damaged, it doesn't matter nearly as much). Urban X is always safe and one of the Kal Tire's on McLeod always gets good reviews, but I forget exactly which one. Paying someone to swap wheels though is crazy once you see how little time/effort it takes. If you're swapping tires all the time though, you need the machine and also way higher chance of damaging a rim. Steel rims for winter can be had pretty cheap, probably $40-50 per rim on a Golf, then throw on some $20 hubcaps if you don't kike the look - rims take a beating in the winter anyway.

bh87
05-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Had my summer all seasons swapped on to the factory wheels on my 2014 Lexus GX460 on May 1st at the Horton Road location (Urban X).

Took twice as long as usual, and it wasn't until I got home that I noticed one wheel has a noticeable gouge through the paint right down to the metal close to one of the lugs. Two wheels didn't have dust caps on the valve stems and the other two had mismatched caps. Factory caps that matched the "graphite" wheel color were gone.

Right now, not sure that I would go back to them

Disoblige
05-09-2017, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by bh87
Had my summer all seasons swapped on to the factory wheels on my 2014 Lexus GX460 on May 1st at the Horton Road location (Urban X).

Took twice as long as usual, and it wasn't until I got home that I noticed one wheel has a noticeable gouge through the paint right down to the metal close to one of the lugs. Two wheels didn't have dust caps on the valve stems and the other two had mismatched caps. Factory caps that matched the "graphite" wheel color were gone.

Why did you not tell them about it first before coming on here and bitching about them before they could even correct it? Not defending the shop 100% as the QA/QC definitely needed work on this example, but no where did you mention even offering them the chance to fix it.

shakalaka
05-09-2017, 11:24 AM

Horton road? So I am guessing Jordan?

Those guys have done nothing but right by me till now. I would talk to them and express your issues and I am sure they will address them. I had an incident there back in the day which I never felt the need to post because they took care of it the best they could.

Hallowed_point
05-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Horton road? So I am guessing Jordan?

Those guys have done nothing but right by me till now. I would talk to them and express your issues and I am sure they will address them. I had an incident there back in the day which I never felt the need to post because they took care of it the best they could.

Same here. I had great service from Jordan at Urban X this winter. I would take up your issues with them directly before posting that review. Give them a fair chance to sort you out, mistakes happen.

bh87
05-09-2017, 11:40 AM
Fair enough, I'll give them a call and try to sort it out. Figured I was SOL having already left the shop without noticing.

Hallowed_point
05-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Fair enough, I'll give them a call and try to sort it out. Figured I was SOL having already left the shop without noticing. Did you take pictures immediately afterwards? This all seems really strange. If it were my car, I would be turning right around and heading back to the shop to get it squared up with the owner. It's gonna be tough to prove anything now with the timeline unless you have some good pics from that day.

BokCh0y
05-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Fair enough, I'll give them a call and try to sort it out. Figured I was SOL having already left the shop without noticing.

Urban X guys are all pretty reasonable.

Hallowed_point
05-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
Urban X guys are all pretty reasonable.
:werd: They set the bar for wheels and tires here as far as I'm concerned. Any minor issues I've had have always been addressed. A lot people say "above and beyond" well Urban X certainly does for their customers.

bh87
05-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Did you take pictures immediately afterwards? This all seems really strange. If it were my car, I would be turning right around and heading back to the shop to get it squared up with the owner. It's gonna be tough to prove anything now with the timeline unless you have some good pics from that day.

I got home after they had closed for the day (I left there at around 4:45pm from a 3:30pm appointment) and had to travel out of town for work that evening (took a cab to the airport shortly after getting home), didn't get back until late Friday night. Looking back at the situation it would've been smart to have taken pictures of the damage, but I didn't think of it at the time and was in a rush to get to the airport.

Hallowed_point
05-09-2017, 12:01 PM
I got home after they had closed for the day (I left there at around 4:45pm from a 3:30pm appointment) and had to travel out of town for work that evening (took a cab to the airport shortly after getting home), didn't get back until late Friday night. Looking back at the situation it would've been smart to have taken pictures of the damage, but I didn't think of it at the time and was in a rush to get to the airport. Eh, easy for me to armchair qb it now. I'll bet that they will take care of it for ya :)

tirebob
05-09-2017, 12:24 PM

I got home after they had closed for the day (I left there at around 4:45pm from a 3:30pm appointment) and had to travel out of town for work that evening (took a cab to the airport shortly after getting home), didn't get back until late Friday night. Looking back at the situation it would've been smart to have taken pictures of the damage, but I didn't think of it at the time and was in a rush to get to the airport. Hey man! I have called Pete at the Horton store and told him about this thread and he is pretty horrified.. Call him at 403/255.4434. He will set you right.

By no means am I trying to justify anything at all, but let's face it. We are all human and mistakes can happen and sometimes they do get missed initially, right or wrong but I will say I have never known Pete or Jordan to be anything but helpful and honest! Give hem a shot man... If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, come and see me...

RealJimmyJames
05-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Best shops in town.

bh87
05-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Hey man! I have called Pete at the Horton store and told him about this thread and he is pretty horrified.. Call him at 403/255.4434. He will set you right.

By no means am I trying to justify anything at all, but let's face it. We are all human and mistakes can happen and sometimes they do get missed initially, right or wrong but I will say I have never known Pete or Jordan to be anything but helpful and honest! Give hem a shot man... If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, come and see me...

Thanx Bob, Pete called me and wants to make it right. I'm bringing my car by their shop tomorrow afternoon for them to check it out and see what can be done. I am impressed that he took the initiative to call me and address the issue.

tirebob
05-09-2017, 02:17 PM

Thanx Bob, Pete called me and wants to make it right. I'm bringing my car by their shop tomorrow afternoon for them to check it out and see what can be done. I am impressed that he took the initiative to call me and address the issue. Awesome! I have no doubt he will bend over backwards for you... He is a good guy for sure!

K3RMiTdot
05-09-2017, 03:40 PM
Bob & Kenny at Urban X FTW

eglove
05-09-2017, 04:27 PM
I am impressed that he took the initiative to call me and address the issue.

Well the other shop that shares the business name called him after reading this thread... not like you gave him the chance lol

got_mike33
05-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
Bob & Kenny at Urban X FTW
Agreed, they are two of the best in the industry.

bh87
05-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Just thought I would post an update for those interested:

Took my car over to Urban X Horton, they inspected the wheel and said they would take care of it no problem. They swapped my spare on and had the damaged wheel sent out for repair. Got it back 10 days later and looks good as new. They swapped it back on and put the spare back and I was on my way in under 20 minutes.

Very happy with the outcome and wouldn't hesitate to continue to support Urban X.

Hallowed_point
05-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Good to hear. I would suggest that the thread title be changed to reflect the positive resolution!

D'z Nutz
05-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Good to hear. I would suggest that the thread title be changed to reflect the positive resolution!

Except bh87 isn't the OP. He just piggy backed onto someone else's thread so changing the thread title isn't a reflection of the first post.