PDA

View Full Version : Could the changes I made to my router, be causing the slow speeds?

ZMan2k2
10-19-2016, 05:06 PM
I have an Asus RT-3100 dual band router. According to this post
found on Digitalhome.ca (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/187-telus-iptv-also-known-optik-tv/240329-successfully-replaced-actiontec-t1200h-asus-rt-ac56u.html) , I have successfully taken the Actiontec T1200 Telus provided modem/router out of the picture, and am simply using the Asus router with the fibre line plugged directly into it. The Asus has dual processors, one for wired, one for wireless, and wirelessly I get the speed of 150Mbps up and down from Telus. However, wired, my XBoxOne, on a switch, can only get a maximum of 25Mbps down, and 12Mbps up.

My question is, are the changes in the thread linked possibly responsible for slowing the wired connections? I'd rather not change the office room if necessary, and I don't want to do it just to find out this question, if someone might know the answer.

Thanks.

benyl
10-19-2016, 06:32 PM
I have the same setup.

RT-N66U connected directly to the Fiber modem. I didn't change any settings.

I get full bandwidth wired or wireless.

JDMMAN
10-19-2016, 09:52 PM
ZMan2k2 - you many want to check out the settings to see if the switch has limited bandwidth. Had this happen to my aunt's set-up at home, turns out the 4 port switch that was plugged into the model/router had a software setting limiting it to 10Mbps, turned the limiter off and it was back to 100Mbps.

ZMan2k2
10-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by JDMMAN
ZMan2k2 - you many want to check out the settings to see if the switch has limited bandwidth. Had this happen to my aunt's set-up at home, turns out the 4 port switch that was plugged into the model/router had a software setting limiting it to 10Mbps, turned the limiter off and it was back to 100Mbps.

That was the problem. Thanks so much!

revelations
10-20-2016, 09:29 AM
I was going to say (for anyone else) that bypassing the switch would have been my first recommendation. (Isolation first. )

ZMan2k2
10-20-2016, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by revelations
I was going to say (for anyone else) that bypassing the switch would have been my first recommendation. (Isolation first. )

I would, but the router is in the back of the house, and the XBoxOne is in the front of the house. I have 2 lines run to the entertainment unit. One is for the Telus PVR, the other is for the switch, allowing me to connect my NAS, receiver, and the Telus wireless broadcaster, so that my Mother-in-law, who lives next door, can share our TV hookup. I've given up on wiring the XBoxOne to the line, I can't get a steady Mbps, and it's still around 25 down, 8 up. I'll leave it on wireless 5GHz where I get 50+ up and down, but I lose about 4ms of latency.

ZMan2k2
10-20-2016, 04:26 PM
So, I went direct wired. I pulled the cable from the switch, and the one from the Telus box. On both of them, with the XBoxOne, I got similar results of around 25Mbps down, and 10Mbps up. That tells me that the changes made to make it function as a TV modem/router have some effect. The router has two processors, one for wired, the other wireless. On wireless, I can pull a 50Mbps up and down on 5GHz. So, it looks like for me, wireless is the way to go. I don't have room in the office to put the Telus proprietary router/modem, put it in modem mode, connect my router and the TV cables to the Telus box, and the regular internet connections to my router. So, wireless it is.

ZMan2k2
10-25-2016, 10:05 AM
The OCD in me couldn't let it be.

I had to have the XBoxOne wired. It needed to be to a switch, but it had to be wired. I called Tech Support, and he said that the numbers I was seeing were "Good Enough", and he couldn't help me. But he told me an interesting thing. This is a "Day One" console. Plug it in for a few days, and the numbers might go up. So I did. And, the numbers went up. I'm now seeing 70+Mbps Down, and 30+Mbps up, with a latency of 20ms. Moral of the story, don't give up, sometimes it just takes time.