PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Switch

Xaroxantu Zero
10-20-2016, 08:40 AM
f5uik5fgIaI

Coming March 2017.

NVIDIA confirmed to be behind the console's SoC (custom Tegra, probably based on X1 or X2): https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

https://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/20-nintendo-switch.jpg

Third-party partners:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2016/img_161020/partners.png

Darkane
10-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Oh good, take people off their phones and on another electronic device.

rage2
10-20-2016, 08:48 AM
Some thoughts.

- Why did that dude scratch his balls at the 11s mark?
- Poor neglected dog
- How does someone that seems to play video games 24/7 talk to a chick at the airport?
- Why would you go to a go kart place to play Mario Kart? Or a basketball court to play basket ball games?
- How would you be able to hear your friends in the next building rooftop while you're playing video games?

So many questions.

sputnik
10-20-2016, 09:19 AM
^

Asking the real questions!

ExtraSlow
10-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Came to this thread expecting this:
http://www.8bitdad.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/tv-game-switch-600x273.jpg
Am disappoint.
:thumbsdow

eglove
10-20-2016, 09:45 AM
I'll buy it just for Zelda... lol

schocker
10-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Getting one for sure. Looks really cool.

sputnik
10-20-2016, 11:18 AM
This announcement is cool... but it really lacks pricing information.

dirtsniffer
10-20-2016, 11:29 AM
looks cool!

schocker
10-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
This announcement is cool... but it really lacks pricing information.
Looks like more pricing/game info slowly trickling out towards release.
Leaked price $399 USD for Bundle of some sort $299 USD for base system. Maybe bundle is a game + the wavebird style controller. I am wondering though if the base comes with the dock or not since technically it is standalone

01RedDX
10-20-2016, 05:15 PM

killramos
10-20-2016, 07:12 PM
400 dollars for a console with apple tv graphics?

Passssss, I don't care if you can take it with you.

Honestly with the all the talk on their partnership with Apple i was really hoping they would just quit the hardware business altogether and focus on making games for other platforms. For example Xbox (Anywhere for PC compat) for consoles and IOS and/or android for mobile.

You cover devices that 95% of people already have right there and can make money on games where the real money is. Xbox never has and never will make money for example. Instead they should model themselves after Activision with their mountain of IP which imo is their real strength and always has been.

Their hardware has always been their weakness.

Hero_X
10-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Their hardware hasn't been that great, that's definitely true.

But the games supported in the nintendo ecosystem are very popular.

Consider the PS Vita. Really good hardware...but no games. lol

So Nintendo will definitely be successful with this, regardless of investing a lot in the hardware.

They're kinda like apple in that sense. Since their products are loved by all, people get them regardless of whether or not they have the latest hardware.

rage2
10-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Hero_X
Their hardware hasn't been that great, that's definitely true.

But the games supported in the nintendo ecosystem are very popular.

Consider the PS Vita. Really good hardware...but no games. lol

So Nintendo will definitely be successful with this, regardless of investing a lot in the hardware.

They're kinda like apple in that sense. Since their products are loved by all, people get them regardless of whether or not they have the latest hardware.
5-10 years ago, maybe. The Wii U has sold less than the PS Vita, which like you said has no games.

killramos
10-21-2016, 08:11 AM
The thing I find funny about Nintendo is how they completely ignore what amounts to 10 years+ of controller development in ergonomics and features. Sure they tried something new with the wii and it was cool for 2 weeks but after that even they released a traditional controller for it, which still sucked.

Watching people play games on those stupid little control pads already makes my wrists hurt.

I have no disagreements that Nintendo's Games, characters, worlds, are great and very valuable. They just need to do a better time monetizing them by making their games available on platforms people actually use.

Do kids even buy Nintendo's anymore? Every kid I know has an iPad though.

Adults buying Nintendo consoles for nostalgia only gets them so far.

The wii is a bad example btw, because it cost them pretty much nothing to make it due to legacy hardware. Every wii was profitable. This device is going to be way too similar to a high end ( due to graphics capabilities + display) smartphone for the price to be anywhere low enough to be both popular and profitable imo.

spikerS
10-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Nintendo has a reputation for being a more family oriented console with games more geared towards younger kids and families, while XBOX and PS have been geared to the Teen and older gamers that play mostly games with M rating and drool over hardware specs.

For that reason alone, Nintendo consoles will always have a place in the console market.

*edit* and we still buy Nintendos and games for it for our kids. We buy nintendo e-cards and download games to the Wii U all the time, and I am sure next March we will be rocking one of these new fandangled gizmos too.

jampack
10-21-2016, 08:17 AM
I like this idea. First time for years I might actually get a nintendo!

JordanEG6
10-21-2016, 08:23 AM
Spec wise, it will be 'meh', but Nintendo has always been about actual gaming than graphics, I'll probably buy it if they have classic games available as DLC and for the Switch games alone. Although I doubt they will have the type of games that the other platforms offer, I still would love to play Zelda, Mario (World/Kart/Party) and Smash Bros on this console.

I'm not sure if the portability feature will last for some people. To me it's a gimmick that will last a few months at most like Pokemon Go. I think carrying an extra device around in addition to a tab or phone is only a novelty that will only last for so long. The trailer is fucking dumb. No one is going to play Switch at a basketball court or a Go Kart track. :nut: However, it will become useful on plane rides, breaks at work and taking a shit without pausing the game lol.

schocker
10-21-2016, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by spikerS
Nintendo has a reputation for being a more family oriented console with games more geared towards younger kids and families, while XBOX and PS have been geared to the Teen and older gamers that play mostly games with M rating and drool over hardware specs.

For that reason alone, Nintendo consoles will always have a place in the console market.
This is going to change though. The entire video had no children, so by broadening their reach by marketing to adults as well. They will still have the children focused games but now more mature focused games as well based on the developer list so far.

I am hoping that they finally fix their online though with a system like xbox live instead of the garbage account system now.

spikerS
10-21-2016, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by schocker

This is going to change though. The entire video had no children, so by broadening their reach by marketing to adults as well. They will still have the children focused games but now more mature focused games as well based on the developer list so far.

I am hoping that they finally fix their online though with a system like xbox live instead of the garbage account system now.

Of course there is no kids in it. They have that part of the market cornered already. You don't invest a lot of money marketing to the people that are going to be buying your product already. Besides, marketing a brain sucking device to 4-10 year old kids wouldn't go over well with soccer moms.

To try and capture more of the market segment, you go after those that are on the fence, or are easily swayed. Nintendo, since the N64 has lost much of the older segment of gamers, and they will want to claw some of those back. Since Nintendo has never been that concerned over hardware specs, they are targeting the more casual gamers that want portability.

Thaco
10-21-2016, 10:56 AM
i am kinda undecided on this, i am sure it'll be a huge launch like most nintendo stuff is, just not really sure if it appeals to me, and the pricepoint seems a little high, you could get a wii u and a ds and still be below that pricepoint so its hard to say....

HiTempguy1
10-21-2016, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2

5-10 years ago, maybe. The Wii U has sold less than the PS Vita, which like you said has no games.

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1057/10579915/2587313-8258282847-cW6UT.jpg

:rofl:

SilverRex
10-21-2016, 12:51 PM
interesting concept. bridging the gap between mobile and home gaming.

I can see this might just work if the right titles come on the shelf.

now someone needs to come up with a way to port your current app/mobile games onto the home screen to do the opposite and cancel the benefit of this device ;)

I didnt look at the specs, but if it is meant to be portable with all the wifi-bluethooth goodies, all one has to do is add phone capability and really this is just another phone tablet focusing mainly on gaming.

killramos
10-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex

now someone needs to come up with a way to port your current app/mobile games onto the home screen to do the opposite and cancel the benefit of this device ;)

Isn't that pretty much exactly how airplay/screen sharing on current phones works?

Thaco
10-21-2016, 01:11 PM
I didnt look at the specs, but if it is meant to be portable with all the wifi-bluethooth goodies, all one has to do is add phone capability and really this is just another phone tablet focusing mainly on gaming. that was the first thing i thought, why not just add a sim slot and antennas and its an all in one? dont have any desire to carry multiple devices

nzwasp
10-21-2016, 01:33 PM
I could see this being useful up to use up north when im working at site.

However my questions are:

What are they targetting for pricing on games, and how / where do you store them? - i presume digital downloads.

IS it wifi only or can you connect to ethernet as well?

Does the extra controller come with it or only the sideways things?

Are they going to sell them online only?

Thaco
10-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I could see this being useful up to use up north when im working at site.

However my questions are:

What are they targetting for pricing on games, and how / where do you store them? - i presume digital downloads.

IS it wifi only or can you connect to ethernet as well?

Does the extra controller come with it or only the sideways things?

Are they going to sell them online only? doesnt come out til march, i am sure that'll all be revealed long before that, but right now its just been announce.

rage2
10-21-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by killramos
Isn't that pretty much exactly how airplay/screen sharing on current phones works?
Yup. Some games even have different things displayed on TV vs device via AirPlay so it's literally a Wii U. The iPad pro has pretty much the same graphics performance as the Wii U.

BensonTT
10-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Some thoughts.

- Why did that dude scratch his balls at the 11s mark?
- Poor neglected dog
- How does someone that seems to play video games 24/7 talk to a chick at the airport?
- Why would you go to a go kart place to play Mario Kart? Or a basketball court to play basket ball games?
- How would you be able to hear your friends in the next building rooftop while you're playing video games?

So many questions.

lol :rofl:

schocker
10-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Yup. Some games even have different things displayed on TV vs device via AirPlay so it's literally a Wii U. The iPad pro has pretty much the same graphics performance as the Wii U.

Well this time the pad is doing all the work and the dock is just for power/send signal to TV and possibly some work. Wiiu only streamed to the pad itself. I am pretty impressed with the graphics I can get on my ipad pro. Way better than I imagined on mobile after playing crappy games on my phone.

Power could be decent on this with tegra and possibly a pascal gpu on board.