PDA

View Full Version : 4 day vacation - where do you go?

spikerS
10-22-2016, 02:31 PM
ok, so, Baygirl and I desperately need to get away for a couple days, we figgure 4 days is the max we can go and leave the kids with the mother in law as the baby sitter.

So, 4 days including travel time to and from the destination.

Things we would like:
Amazing street type food
fun for ADULTS, last thing we want is to end up on a tour bus blasting Dora the explorer
cool shit to see and do, indoors and out

I know Vegas is the obvious choice, but neither of us really gamble except I will play the odd poker game. Nor are we big drinkers.

If you have some ideas, give us a run down of some must see and dos while we are there, and what to steer clear from.

rage2
10-22-2016, 02:40 PM
NYC. Flights are dirt cheap and you can easily airbnb a room cheap there too. Don't think I need to list all the things that's in NYC...

Don't need to gamble to enjoy Vegas. I am anti gambling yet have a blast there every year.

JPB
10-22-2016, 02:48 PM
Portland maybe?

Great street food, there are tons of food trucks. Lots of cool cafes and breweries. Easy to walk around downtown and good transit. Interesting gardens and parks. Downside is the weather is a bit grey this time of year.

A nice hotel is Kimpton RiverPlace, right on the river with lots of paths to wander along.

ercchry
10-22-2016, 02:55 PM
LA, cheap, quick direct flights, similar time zone and you can make it anything you want it to be... there is literally a million things to do

Foodie trip? Easy
Beach trip? Done
Driving trip? Great roads
Golf? Yup
Stupid hot desert trip? Quick drive
Bands? Tons
Live like the 0.01% for a day? Oh yeah

Darkane
10-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Seattle. Fly to Vancouver, rent a car drive down.

Really awesome 4 day trip.

If you're nerdy wizards of the coast' headquarters are right there. Haha.

Also @Rage - no gambling and being Asian doesn't compute. If I was a fembot I would have exploded.

max_boost
10-22-2016, 06:04 PM
Bay Area SF

jdmakkord
10-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Palm Springs, Phoenix, Nashville

craigcd
10-22-2016, 06:26 PM
We have done 4 day trips to Cabo. Leave Thursday back Sunday. Cheap and fun. We have gone for $500 or less to a 5 star.

bleu
10-22-2016, 06:43 PM
NYC. So much to see, eat and do.

ExtraSlow
10-22-2016, 07:28 PM
San Diego. Easier to get around than LA , consistent weather. Airbnb for sure.

e36bmw///
10-22-2016, 09:20 PM
nm

ExtraSlow
10-22-2016, 09:59 PM
Have stayed at an airbnb condo in Cancun. No issues. Assume Cabo is the same.

spikerS
10-22-2016, 10:58 PM
what travel sites are people using to book their vacations? what are the best ways to get the best price or deals?

88CRX
10-23-2016, 01:50 AM
Word on San Fran.

4 days is prefect amount of time plus cheap Westjet flights these days.

Manhattan
10-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Been to SF on a one day layover. Downtown SF wasn't particularly interesting for me. Was I in the wrong area? I know downtown LA is mostly a dump. Is SF the same kinda thing?

austic
10-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Cabo, quick direct flights and some amazing hotel choices. We enjoyed the Secrets los cabos which had amazing food, adults only.

88CRX
10-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
Been to SF on a one day layover. Downtown SF wasn't particularly interesting for me. Was I in the wrong area? I know downtown LA is mostly a dump. Is SF the same kinda thing?

Union Square area is where all the action is.

Manhattan
10-23-2016, 05:04 PM
^

That's where I went and it wasn't particularly memorable. Just a big skating rink surrounded by big name American department stores. It could've been a scene from any large American/Canadian city. :dunno:

eblend
10-23-2016, 06:29 PM
I don't gamble, or drink, and been to Vegas a couple of times, a blast every time.

There is many things to do in vegas that don't include drinking or gambling. We usually catch Cirque du Solail shows or three, gone to grand canyon on chopper, race car experiences, ton of things if you into that stuff.

Seattle suggestion is great as well, i done the whole fly to van and drive to seattle thing, SF isn't too much fun, like yourself i didn't really find it all that interesting, LA is fun but seem any of these other destinations will require lengthy commutes from the airport...so only two real days of getting anything done in my opinion.

timdog
10-24-2016, 09:23 AM
portland for sure. been there alone with the wife twice and its great. short direct flights too. rent a car and stay at kennedy school, it will be a unique experience that you'll never forget. that or stay downtown if you dont want to drive.

amazing beer and food there. a cool district with artisan distilleries, lots of unique shopping. crazy good breakfasts, ice cream shops, donut shops,.. you'll gain 5 pounds in 4 days.
p.s. go to the Alberta District and eat at the Tin Shed for breakfast. it is ultimate hippie/hipster central and just hilarious to people watch, plus the food is ridiculously good.

Strider
10-24-2016, 09:29 AM
Vegas, NYC, or Chicago

Let Google help you decide www.google.ca/flights (click Places > North America) - It'll show you flight prices and things to do.

^That's where I went and it wasn't particularly memorable. Just a big skating rink surrounded by big name American department stores. It could've been a scene from any large American/Canadian city. :dunno:
I preferred wandering around Golden Gate Park, Mission, even Chinatown over downtown.

flipstah
10-24-2016, 09:49 AM
Downtown LA is a dump. Go to the surrounding areas.

San Francisco is cool around the other districts as well.

suntan
10-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Downtown LA is loads of fun (motherfucking amazing restaurants), but not worth going to deliberately.

ercchry
10-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Last 4 day trip to LA was:

2 nights in Beverley Hills, eat and drink like a rockstar with a day ripping up the coast to Malibu and through the canyons on a Ducati

2 nights in La Jolla, surfing and other beach whatnots

Took the pch down to SD... took like 6hrs :rofl: but to fly out we took the freeway and it was only 1.5hrs... very easy drive

Have also done Palm Springs from LA, only a couple hour drive... as long as you don't take the wrong freeway exit and drive back to the airport via south central :rofl:

Calgaryrocky
10-24-2016, 10:16 AM
I'll be taking the GF to New Orleans for 4 days/nights.

I never really considered but so many people have been talking about it lately and I've heard the food/music/atmosphere is pretty cool. Lots to do and see as well plus transit takes you pretty much anywhere...

Price wasn't bad either for flight and hotel.

ercchry
10-24-2016, 10:18 AM
^^my parents keep doing short trips down there lately... looks like it has replaced their old Vegas getaways. They seem to enjoy it

Calgaryrocky
10-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Good to know! Thanks!!

Originally posted by ercchry
^^my parents keep doing short trips down there lately... looks like it has replaced their old Vegas getaways. They seem to enjoy it

mzdspd
10-24-2016, 11:52 AM
So is a 4 day vacation enough time for some of these destinations (specifically NYC)? Been thinking of doing a potential NYC trip for a Christmas present for the GF and I. But she is in school so 5ish days would be max I think we could do. And booking over Christmas time is too expensive to justify.

Rocket1k78
10-24-2016, 12:22 PM
NYC with no kids would be a damn good time. If its just you and your gf 4 days could be do able but depending on how many tourist spots you want to fit in it it might be a busy 4 days.

Depends on what you like to do but SF was a fun place for us. Only complaint would be the wild weather in the summer and the dumpiness of the entire city. Didnt matter where you went there were always crackers. Still recommend it though lol

NoPulp
10-24-2016, 12:30 PM
You don't have to drink or gamble in Vegas. I haven't gambled at all and I don't drink a ton anymore. The entertainment is good! Lots to do, 4 days would be perfect if you haven't been before.

Cabo is great, might be a bit more travel time than you'd like for a 4 day trip though?

Seattle and San Fran would be good choices.

88CRX
10-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
Depends on what you like to do but SF was a fun place for us. Only complaint would be the wild weather in the summer and the dumpiness of the entire city. Didnt matter where you went there were always crackers. Still recommend it though lol

Agreed, I dont understand the people complaining about San Fran not being fun.

It is an extremely old City so the buildings are older yes and there are homeless people (I didn't feel like it was much worse then here) and the weather isn't always hot (its usually cooler).

The food was amazing and there is so much to do there (Alcatraz, baseball game, Golden Gate bridge, the Warf). In fact we were there for 6 days, 4 days would have been perfect.

ercchry
10-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Travelling is all about what you make of it... there really are not many "bad" destinations.... but there are poorly planned trips.

4 or 5 day getaways are perfect for activity packed trips, 2-3week trips imho are more of an unwinding relaxation type of trip (unless you are hitting multiple destinations)

Just figure out a list of things you want to do, then pick a place that offers them or maybe a place that you grab a seat sale to

Last winter we booked Hawaii a couple times just cause the round trip was under $500... first trip was literally just surfing and eating, and it was awesome!

Surprisingly no one has mentioned Austin yet... that's on my list for a quick trip. Have a buddy who just moved down there too so makes it even more tempting. Hot rods, foodie scene, live music everywhere, and they even host the x-games... trip writes itself for me :rofl:

suntan
10-24-2016, 02:54 PM
If you like seafood SF is the place for you.

rage2
10-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by suntan
East Coast seafood > West Coast seafood.

asp integra
10-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Get out to vancouver island and hit up Tofino. Get some surf days in, also some great restaurants and just a cool place to relax for a few days.

suntan
10-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by rage2

East Coast seafood > West Coast seafood. Any coast seafood > Calgary slop.

Clever
10-24-2016, 04:10 PM
New Orleans. I've been to Vegas several times, and definitely a fun place, but I would choose New Orleans over Vegas any day.

spikerS
10-24-2016, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Clever
New Orleans. I've been to Vegas several times, and definitely a fun place, but I would choose New Orleans over Vegas any day.

we are really leaning towards Vegas.

NO interests me a lot though as I know the street food there would rock, but I also know it is the kind of food Baygirl wouldn't touch, so while fun for me, not so much for her.

Clever
10-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

we are really leaning towards Vegas.

NO interests me a lot though as I know the street food there would rock, but I also know it is the kind of food Baygirl wouldn't touch, so while fun for me, not so much for her.

Probably cheaper to fly to Vegas anyway and still so much to see and do. I enjoyed New Orleans because it was gritty and yet it still had so much culture. So much food options as well so hopefully that does not deter you from going in the future.

A790
10-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Denver.

baygirl
10-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by suntan

Originally posted by rage2

East Coast seafood > West Coast seafood.
Remember I am from Newfoundland and my dad was a fisherman: I am used to fresh seafood straight out of the water. That being said the only seafood I like is cod fish and salmon:-/ (can't stand cod toungues or cheeks though)

jwslam
10-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by baygirl
(can't stand cod toungues or cheeks though)
White people eat that? :eek:

baygirl
10-25-2016, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Dipped in flour and fried.... And don't forget cods heads:barf:

JRSC00LUDE
10-25-2016, 09:30 AM

I ate about 10 pounds of those with scrunchions a few weeks ago!

:drool::drool::drool:

A790
10-25-2016, 10:03 AM
I really think my Denver suggestion deserves more consideration ;)

max_boost
10-25-2016, 10:59 AM

White people eat that? :eek: east east coast like almost not part of Canada :D

Rocket1k78
10-25-2016, 11:00 AM
Have you been to vegas before?
Vegas is always a good time for sure but theres so many other places i would take advantage of especially with no kids.

ercchry
10-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by A790
I really think my Denver suggestion deserves more consideration ;)

You would :rofl:

A790
10-26-2016, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

You would :rofl:
And why not? It's at the base of the Rocky Mountains, has one of the highest elevations in the USA, is a great eclectic multi-cultural city, has a lot to do, and is a safe destination to visit.

Also, legal weed.

Yep. :)

reijo
10-26-2016, 09:46 AM
Lived in SoCal ... Seal Beach ... my favourite city anywhere is San Diego .... If I won a lottery, I would immediately buy a condo or house just north of there on the coast ... like Laguna Beach ... perfect weather year round, lots to see and do around San Diego without the crazy traffic of LA.

Westjet flies directly to DT San Diego too .... rent a car there and go! Great DT ... the Midway aircraft carrier museum ... Cortez, Balboa etc. etc. ..., beaches, Zoo

Alternate ... Westjet flies to Orange County - John Wayne Airport in Costa Mesa ... then head south to San Diego .... The airport is smaller and not so busy as LAX (I would never fly there unless I absolutely had to ... too much traffic in the area and long distances to drive).

R

ExtraSlow
10-26-2016, 09:58 AM
Agree, don't fly to LAX, what a circle-jerk.

Would rather spend a couple hours on the highway then in the airport. Shit, fly into palm springs if you have to. it's an easy drive.

C_Dave45
10-26-2016, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by reijo
Lived in SoCal ... Seal Beach ... my favourite city anywhere is San Diego .... If I won a lottery, I would immediately buy a condo or house just north of there on the coast ... like Laguna Beach ... perfect weather year round, lots to see and do around San Diego without the crazy traffic of LA.

Westjet flies directly to DT San Diego too .... rent a car there and go! Great DT ... the Midway aircraft carrier museum ... Cortez, Balboa etc. etc. ..., beaches, Zoo

x2!! I could have written this verbatim. Wife and I went there for the first time two years ago. Totally blown away by how nice it is, in every aspect. Weather, scenery, things to do, quality of service from every sector, the food, touristy things as well as just riding a bike around Mission Beach.

Wife wants to move there. I just saw a cheap sale to San Diego the other day....I'll see if I can find it.
*edit: Not a sale per se, but cheaper than when we flew. $406 return, direct flight with Westjet.