Nufy
10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
I need to replace my home printer.

Need the following features:

Color / BW Print
Copy
Scan
Fax (I know right !!!)

11 x 17 would be an asset but not necessary.

Will be used by 4 laptops running Win 7 or greater.

I realize home printers are throwaway units but I wouldn't mind not having to throw way the next one for a while.

Suggestions ? Thanks.

Zorac
10-24-2016, 12:36 PM
in a similar situation, i went with a small business printer and have been very happy. glad i paid the extra over a home printer. i went with a brother mfc unit. no issue with generic toner either like the HP units!

ercchry
10-24-2016, 01:21 PM
I have an Epson wf-7620 I got a couple years ago from staples... was on sale for like $300?

Besides the nonstop software/firmware updates it's pretty much perfect and would tick all your boxes, even 11x17 (scan too)

Has flat bed and paper feed for scanning too

Probably has been replaced with something newer, was happy with staples though

Edit: wow! They still have it and only $200 now, it's even pretty decent at printing photo quality too

http://m.staples.ca/en/Epson-WorkForce-WF-7620-Wireless-All-in-One-Colour-Inkjet-Printer-with/product_219315_1-CA_1_20001?sk_test=a

colsankey
10-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Stay away from the samsung MFPs.
Appear to have some mixed reviews that skew positive, but i bought one to replace my hp 2605 colour laser and its been endless minor problems. Wont wake out of sleep mode and needs constant hard reboots to print.

Yellow toner ran out after about 36 pages of full colour printing, and i know they are demo cartridges, but it refuses to print black and white only untill I slap a new $80 toner in. It'll get sorted today, but when i needed it working at 5am saturday, it let me down.

Will be going back to hp for next laser.

Thaco
10-24-2016, 02:34 PM
if you dont want a throw away you basically have to go laser, all inkets are throwaway and lasers can be refilled for super cheap and last forever, i got a brother colour laser from staples for like 250 like 10 years ago and only ever changed the black toner, the rest are still on the included cartridges, that said i dont use it a lot, maybe put 2k pages through it

AndyL
10-24-2016, 03:00 PM
Office jet 6815 is our daily driver printer... It's not terrible. I love printing from the cellphone when I'm not home.

I miss the old 69$ B&W brother laser workhorse - wasn't a throwaway printer... About the only time I've said that... It finally broke, I'm just having a really hard time spending 150ish to replace it, 40$(?) for 2 toner cartridges at Costco was awesome deal.

I replaced it with a Samsung, it failed miserably before the toner ran out.

rage2
10-24-2016, 03:01 PM
I too use a Brother MFC at home for the last 6 or so years. Currently on my 2nd unit, gave away my first unit to a friend that needed one which gave me a chance to upgrade to the newer model to get AirPrint functionality to print directly from iDevices at home. Model MFC9130CW, still current today, I picked it up 2 or 3 years ago on sale for $280. Kinda shitty that since then the exchange rate has swung the wrong way and it's selling for $500cdn now.

Both units are bulletproof.

captain134
10-24-2016, 03:08 PM
Also using Brother MFC. Black and white only but I've had it for several years now on the original cartridge and I print probably about 50 pages/month. It has been telling me that the cartridge is low for the last year or so but keeps on going.

rage2
10-24-2016, 03:17 PM
I have the same problem. Fucking thing keeps telling me to buy toner, but the printing is completely normal for months. Kinda funny. I expect that I'll actually need new toner in the next couple of months though, just checked and looks like I'm at 2 years and 7 months on the included demo toner.

legendboy
10-24-2016, 03:46 PM
i have a sharp ar-m257 small copier 11x17 free for the taking. the scanner needs to be activated with a code of some sort and has one small blank line across prints. it sure what the fix for that is

Nufy
10-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I too use a Brother MFC at home for the last 6 or so years. Currently on my 2nd unit, gave away my first unit to a friend that needed one which gave me a chance to upgrade to the newer model to get AirPrint functionality to print directly from iDevices at home. Model MFC9130CW, still current today, I picked it up 2 or 3 years ago on sale for $280. Kinda shitty that since then the exchange rate has swung the wrong way and it's selling for $500cdn now.

Both units are bulletproof.

Interesting...

299.00 at Mexory Express...

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48206

chongkee_
10-25-2016, 07:21 AM
I have almost the identical one .
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49470
Except mine comes with automatic duplex printing. Worth the extra coin for me.

Nufy
10-25-2016, 08:06 AM
A 300 dollar printer was a big step for my cheap ass.

Setup and working now...

Lets see how long till the wife has an issue with it.

Thaco
10-25-2016, 08:24 AM
that one seems decent, if i ever kill my current brother printer (which seems unlikely) i'll check that out, mines not an MFC, just a straight printer, i dont often have a need for scanning or copying but when you do its nice to have.

this is the one i have had for like the past 7 years, just looked up the tread on RFD i bought it on, it was $135, still on the starter cartridges for the colours, changed the black for a reman.

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/90d81c/41b3/5726-152BrotherHL4040CN.jpg

CompletelyNumb
10-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Brother MFC all the way, love mine. :thumbsup:

?????
10-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by captain134
Also using Brother MFC. Black and white only but I've had it for several years now on the original cartridge and I print probably about 50 pages/month. It has been telling me that the cartridge is low for the last year or so but keeps on going.

Originally posted by rage2
I have the same problem. Fucking thing keeps telling me to buy toner, but the printing is completely normal for months. Kinda funny. I expect that I'll actually need new toner in the next couple of months though, just checked and looks like I'm at 2 years and 7 months on the included demo toner.

Also using a MFC-9130CW, 3 years a couple weeks ago. You can keep resetting the counter till the toner is actually low.

1. Ensure the printer is switched on.
2. Open the printer lid to reveal the toner cartridges.
3. Press and hold the Asterisk key for five (5) seconds.
4. The LCD should display a new menu.
5. Select the cartridge you wish to reset.
K = Black
C = Cyan
M = Magenta
Y = Yellow
STD = Standard Capacity Cartridge
HC = High Capacity Cartridge
SHC = Super High Capacity Cartridge.
6. Reset? Will appear on the screen Select “Yes”.
7. Close the printer lid.

rage2
10-25-2016, 09:31 AM
haha shit, I didn't know it was a counter. I thought it was fancy toner level detection. Fucking thanks, gonna clear that shit out so I don't have to see those stupid messages again.

Strider
10-25-2016, 09:32 AM
+1 for Brother MFC

I'm rocking a DCP-7065DN Duplex, Sheet feeding monochrome laser that I bought a few years ago for under $100. Recently replaced the toner with a generic refill from Amazon.

DO NOT buy a used printer. Printer companies follow the 5 blade razor business model these days... sell you the printer for cheap (or at a loss) and make the big bucks on refills (ie. toner), which is why many companies are using some sort of toner cartridge authentication or chip.

Find a brand that either doesn't use chip/authentication or is easily defeatable.

jwslam
10-25-2016, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Strider
DO NOT buy a used printer. Printer companies follow the 5 blade razor business model these days... sell you the printer for cheap (or at a loss) and make the big bucks on refills (ie. toner), which is why many companies are using some sort of toner cartridge authentication or chip.
How does that explain why not buy used?! :dunno:

I stay away from InkJets because I never print enough to make use of cartridges to dry out. Currently running a brother-something. Wifi, auto duplex, but is printer only.

Thaco
10-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I stay away from InkJets because I never print enough to make use of cartridges to dry out. Currently running a brother-something. Wifi, auto duplex, but is printer only.

i think his point is the toners will be worth more than the printer, so dont buy a bare printer

Xtrema
10-25-2016, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Strider

I hate inkjet, they are expensive.

Most laser printer under $100 will have a starter toner for 1000 pages. The replacement toner which is ALSO at $100 should do 3000 pages or more.

So as long as you know the used printer has a good drum life left and cheap enough (under $50 for a $100 printer), it's still a good pick up even if you have to spend on toner.

But I'm kinda with strider that buying an used $30K plotter may worth the saving, not a $100 throw away printer. Toner issue aside there not enough saving to be had for a potential deteriorated drum.

I don't print enough but I have a Canon MFC which I got 2 boxing day sago for under $130 (MSRP $200).

It does what I need but the scanning software is kinda shitty and had to be reinstall from Win7 to Win10 upgrade and again when Win10 anniversary update came out.

nzwasp
10-25-2016, 03:14 PM
I went into a shop the other day that were using a dot matrix. I said - wow I havent seen one of these for about 25 years. and the lady said - oh really and we only just got this one new 2 weeks ago.

It looked like it was from mid 80s.

rage2
10-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
I went into a shop the other day that were using a dot matrix. I said - wow I havent seen one of these for about 25 years. and the lady said - oh really and we only just got this one new 2 weeks ago.

It looked like it was from mid 80s.
They still sell them, and they're ridiculously expensive. There's still a lot of software in use today that only works with dot matrix printers because they need duplicates, tractor feed paper, etc.

nzwasp
10-25-2016, 03:30 PM
for a simple homewares store I would think I would rather upgrade my POS software than buy a dotmatrix printer. I can remember how ink works in them.

captain134
10-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by ?????

Also using a MFC-9130CW, 3 years a couple weeks ago. You can keep resetting the counter till the toner is actually low.

K = Black
C = Cyan
M = Magenta
Y = Yellow

Thanks so much for this tip. Hadn't even considered that. For my MFC 7860DW the procedure is slightly different though.

1. Open the compartment door in front of printer. Brother MFC-7860DW Brother MFC-7860DW
2. Check “Front cover open” Message.
3. Press the “Clear” button.
4. Read “Replace Drum?” Message.
5. DO NOT respond to this.
6. Instead! Type in “*00” on the keypad.

or

1. Press Menu, 1, 8.
2. Press ^ or v to choose Continue.
3. Press OK.
4. Press Stop / Exit.

Xtrema
10-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
for a simple homewares store I would think I would rather upgrade my POS software than buy a dotmatrix printer. I can remember how ink works in them.

You will be surprised how much ERP changes may cost. I will keep buying highway robbery printer cost than paying someone or a team $300/hr to change the ERP.

Strider
10-25-2016, 04:05 PM

Pretty much already answered, but if you're buying a $100-$200 printer with a full (starter) toner, there isn't enough savings buying a used unit to cover the depleted toner and wear and tear (including drum life).

Nufy
03-30-2017, 07:33 PM
Does this still work ?

Doesn't seem to on mine...

Also...whats the best source for new toners ??

Originally posted by ?????

K = Black
C = Cyan
M = Magenta
Y = Yellow