PDA

View Full Version : When the EI runs out - Part-time job options

ExtraSlow
10-25-2016, 01:27 PM
So, I'm sure a few of us are in the same boat. Eventually, EI runs out, and at least for me, I will need to pay some bills. In previous years (admittedly a long time ago) I was able to find work when I wanted it though temping agencies, or in warehouse-type companies.

These days, I understand the labour market is much tighter. So, what's everyone's thoughts on available jobs these days?

Is there still a market for reliable and hardworking dudes to go work in a warehouse type environment? Night shift somewhere like a logistics company?

I have a family member who runs a small retail shop, so I think I could get a day or two a week there at minimum wage, but working with family is kind of frustrating. Plus I don't think the hours would be to my liking.

Suggestions or thoughts?

Disoblige
10-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Buddy of mine recently got a job and works at Cert Logistics; 12 hour night shifts. It pays the bills. He's scouting potential engineering roles during the day.

ganesh
10-25-2016, 01:37 PM
If you are looking for warehouse type of work why not try Sysco of GFS? I see them advertising for warehouse positions on their delivery truck all the time.

G
10-25-2016, 01:49 PM
My company is hiring for

maintenance
customer service reps
marketing coordinator
landscaping
Tile/Painter
Cleaner
Truck driver/Appliance delivery
security

pm me if you want link to the job postings.

HiTempguy1
10-25-2016, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Is there still a market for reliable and hardworking dudes to go work in a warehouse type environment? Night shift somewhere like a logistics company?

There are so many businesses that will pay you $20/h cash under the table to work. Just gotta know the right people!

If you are handy with a wrench... ridiculously easy to bring in a couple of grand a month. Someone in kijiji is advertising for someone to change their CV axle on their STi. Boom, $150 in your pocket for a hour of work.

Duramaxs need ball joint and front end parts changed constantly. Don't even need power tools to do it, just time and effort. Sure, its not millionaire money, but I would have GLADLY paid someone $200 cash for 8 hours of work to do the front end on my truck rather than do it myself.

Etc etc. Think outside the box, advertise what you are offering on kijiji. If you aren't a muppet/hack/sketchy meth addict, there is money to be made.

phreezee
10-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Depending on your timeline, get your class 4 for when Uber comes back?

blindsight
10-25-2016, 03:50 PM

redblack
10-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
Depending on your timeline, get your class 4 for when Uber comes back?

This is what I would do, plus when you do get a full time job you can still drive for some extra cash

suntan
10-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Chaturbate, get your wife involved, do couples shows.

ganesh
10-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Chaturbate, get your wife involved, do couples shows.

SMH. Seriously ?

spike98
10-25-2016, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ganesh

SMH. Seriously ?

For an average looking couple willing to do kinky shit there is literally tens of thousands of dollars in it for someone wanting a night gig.

Its far out there but still a viable option.

rage2
10-25-2016, 07:24 PM
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/operation-northern-spotlight

Just watch out for your wife cleaning at night...

HiTempguy1
10-25-2016, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by rage2
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/operation-northern-spotlight

Just watch out for your wife cleaning at night...

She never said what she was cleaning. Shoulda clarified she was cleaning pipes!

http://i.imgur.com/i3B3HIa.gif

Xtrema
10-25-2016, 10:26 PM
As much as I feel bad for these women, $350 after tax is almost 30 hrs at $15/hr.

Here, it's just an hour. That's 30x less effort.

ExtraSlow
10-26-2016, 07:08 AM
Popular topic! Funny, a buddy of mine swears he would start working as a gigolo if he was laid off. Pretty sure the market for that is pretty small.

Feruk
10-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Popular topic! Funny, a buddy of mine swears he would start working as a gigolo if he was laid off. Pretty sure the market for that is pretty small.
And the clientele usually not female I'd assume...

jwslam
10-26-2016, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

And the clientele usually not female I'd assume...
Who are you to judge said buddy's orientation? :dunno:

ExtraSlow
11-07-2016, 10:05 AM
Little update, I have been doing some digging. I have some time left on EI, so I'm not in a huge rush, but it certainly appears that if you want warehouse work, it's worth your time to get your forklift certification. Had a chat with someone from one of the temp agencies, and he said he can place someone with the certificate pretty much right away usually.
Anyone have opinions on a decent place to get that certification? Personally I prefer in-person training, since I haven't touched that equipment in ten years.

Also, had two different people suggest vehicle sales. Maybe I am off base, but I thought that was a really low paying job for a newcomer to the industry, and that you ended up working something like 60 hours a week, while all the long-timers tried to sabotage you?
If I could work four days a week selling ford trucks, I'd be in heaven.

Probably not talking the missus into getting kinky on the cams. Will keep working on it. :poosie:

ercchry
11-07-2016, 10:11 AM
If you have a current client base that you can leverage for sales, then any commission based job has the potential to pay off huge... if not, then yeah it's going to be a tough go for a noob. If you have that client base you could probably find something more lucrative and less of a time suck than vehicle sales though