PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed - Business Intelligence (Fast Track)

babyvalley22
10-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Has anyone taken the fast track program for Business Intelligence at SAIT before? Just wondering how the experience was and if it was difficult to find a practicum since the economy is terrible right now. Any advice on this would be fantastic!

PS. I am going through a selection appointment in 2 weeks and if anyone have done that in the past and don't mind sharing your experience/way to prepare for the appointment that would be wonderful!

Thank you :)

finboy
10-26-2016, 05:17 AM
I just finished the course, selection process was straight forward but I got waitlisted due to a government fuckup. If you are on ei, lookup fee payer, it's a program that allows you to collect ei while in school for retraining. Ask to sit in for a day, you can meet an instructor early (likely frank bergdoll, great guy).

The program is as good as you make it, it is intense but if you only do the tests/assignments and don't network while doing it, you will have a harder time getting a practicum. I was applying for jobs before I even started, and was interviewing in June for September start dates. On top of that, I made a point of going to all the industry events (power bi user group, tableau, etc.) when many class mates didn't. When guest speakers came in, I got business cards and followed up for a coffee.

The instructors vary from great to ok, but all are good resources once you get into the BI working world. Expect a LOT of reading, and quizzes every 2 days, long days, weekend work for the duration of the 4 months. Group work is part of the program, so find good group members early, and avoid leeches who will do nothing and ride your hard work for grades. Sait will likely advertise that you might work an unpaid practicum, because it is easier to find that for students. Don't be afraid to look outside the sait job board for better selection. You will be asked to keep up a blog, cross post on LinkedIn, this will get lots of attention, espescially if you tag your instructors and relate it to material you learned (hint: all 3 instructors are well connected and two are active consultants).

These things helped me graduate with a job, and several other companies that were interested. The economy still sucks, and saits employment office isn't great, but leveraging "student" status to meet with potential employers is a huge advantage if you know how to work it.

Pm me if you have any more specific questions.

phreezee
12-22-2016, 01:07 PM
Related to the BI space but not SAIT, TDWI.org has a 25% off coupon "JOLLY25" for online learning up until Dec 31st.