PDA

View Full Version : Most secure/thorough anti-virus/internet security software?

Hero_X
10-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Wondering what the most thorough and efficient internet security software is.

I've used bitdefender and it's worked well for me but there are times where it doesn't detect some viruses/files. Same story for malwarebytes.

Wondering if there's something that provides more security and better scanning?

Xtrema
10-26-2016, 04:17 PM
None. All virus scanning is base partly/soley on signature and there is already something out there the alter signature of the same virus to by pass scanners.

You will never win with so many Day 0 exploits of every thing out there. You only win if you don't play. Or if you do play, play in a VM where a exploit won't hurt.

Webroot is pretty good in behavioral analysis and catching Day 0 stuff. But it's not infallible. The problem is that when a product get popular, it will became a target to be countered. So if something works good this year, it may not work next year.

So in the end, the only defense is clean habit and know what you do on what systems and keep all systems (router, PC, phones, iOT gadgets) updated to latest firmware.

revelations
10-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Its not about a scanner these days, its about your habits

Do you torrent?
Do you visit sites with a shitty browser?
Do you download programs all the time?
etc.

If so, dont expect any single program to provide 100% coverage.

Get a Mac or use a Linux box if you're really worried.

Xtrema
10-26-2016, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Get a Mac or use a Linux box if you're really worried.

Linux may be as Mac's are heavily targeted now since average pay out is higher.

Hero_X
10-26-2016, 09:13 PM
So I don't mind using Linux but I'm such a Windows bitch. I'm not familiar with all Linux commands.

What would be a good version to transition to?

As well, I've briefly heard about sandboxing and vm.

Do any of u use VM or sandbox for checking files?

Any comments on how to use it?

Im a very... Intermediate user :nut:

Xtrema
10-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Hero_X
So I don't mind using Linux but I'm such a Windows bitch. I'm not familiar with all Linux commands.

What would be a good version to transition to?

As well, I've briefly heard about sandboxing and vm.

Do any of u use VM or sandbox for checking files?

Any comments on how to use it?

Im a very... Intermediate user :nut:

Then Linux is not for you.

Sandbox by using Hyper-V under Windows 10 if you have Enterprise/Professional/Education version.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyperv_on_windows/quick_start/walkthrough_create_vm

If not, you can also use Oracle VirtualBox as your VM platform which is free.

What it basically does is to let you have and OS (Windows or Linux and others) running under your main OS. So if you want to play or go to nasty sites, it limits the damage to your virtual machine and not your main system. If your VM get infected, then toast it and build it up again. You lost 0 critical info. So say you downloaded some "Freeware" and it ended up it has questionable payload, you don't have to worry about it.

While you main system will be used for legit stuff like banking, games from Steam etc. Don't get me wrong tho, while virus scanners are mostly useless, it's still essential. You should at least have Windows Defender running and updating daily.

revelations
10-27-2016, 12:22 AM
Dont torrent shit (stream it instead)

Use Firefox (privacy edition, ie no extensions)

Ubuntu is a really simple version of Linux, easy to learn to use and can be run off a USB stick.

firebane
10-27-2016, 06:48 AM
So much bad information in this thread.

First Linux is more secure but it is nothing like the yesteryear versions people know. With groups like Ubuntu and Gui based packagement, it's easy enough to do basic stuff on that your mom could do it.

Macs are heavily targeted and there are a few nasties out there for it now.

Downloading torrents is fine if you trust the site or location otherwise it's just like downloading anything else.

For the best protection? Use your brain. Common sense plays the biggest role in this crap and not having that will get you infected fast.

Learn to use Firefox or Chrome with a good ad blocker and that will prevent the largest amount of crap happening to a person.

Seth1968
10-27-2016, 07:09 AM
^ Ditto on Macs.

With Linux, you're still susceptible to browser exploits, which is a common (if not the most common) type of infection. Fortunately, in most cases, that's easily remedied by a browser reset.

One other biggie is Java exploits. If you need the Java plug in for certain sites, then disable it on your main browser, and only use it on a secondary browser for those sites.

Also, torrents are fine. Use a site that shows comments on the torrent.