PDA

View Full Version : Wheel lug torque specs

LUDELVR
10-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Have aftermarket wheels but more importantly, aftermarket lugs. Do these require the same amount as the stock lugs or should they be different because of the material?

jacky4566
10-28-2016, 05:48 PM
That's a fairly vague question my friend.
The biggest factor is materials. What are the lugs, wheels and nuts made from?
Then what is the interference type? Concial? Ball? Shanked?
Bolt pattern? I know your not running centre lugs, but those bad boys are like 350 ft/lb!

In most cases your likely to strip the lug first so using the stock torque number is probably best. If in doubt i just run 75 and check them every once and while. If you plan on tracking your car, most tracks require 90 ft. lbs.

LUDELVR
10-28-2016, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
That's a fairly vague question my friend.
The biggest factor is materials. What are the lugs, wheels and nuts made from?
Then what is the interference type? Concial? Ball? Shanked?
Bolt pattern? I know your not running centre lugs, but those bad boys are like 350 ft/lb!

In most cases your likely to strip the lug first so using the stock torque number is probably best. If in doubt i just run 75 and check them every once and while. If you plan on tracking your car, most tracks require 90 ft. lbs.

Haha sorry. Wasn't even thinking when I posted. These lugs came with the car and I think they're those rays tuner lugs made out of aluminum and I'm pretty sure they are conical. They are just replacement ones but I just don't want to overtighten them.

HomespunLobster
10-28-2016, 07:27 PM
When I worked in the tire shop, generally cars were 80-100, SUV 100, Trucks 120+ depending on the size of truck.
Aftermarket rims or steelies. Unless specially requested or it was a weird set up. That's why you are supposed to check them after 100-150KM, make sure that they are still good

dj_rice
10-28-2016, 10:28 PM
On the back of my Muteki package, it shows 75-85ft lbs for torque spec.

jacky4566
10-28-2016, 11:51 PM
Mystery solved. Really so long as its in the right range and stays there call it good.

:closed:

bart
10-29-2016, 04:52 AM
same amount of grease? yes

ExtraSlow
10-29-2016, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by bart
same amount of grease? yes Eh? I thought lug nuts were a "dry" torque spec. Using lubricant would mess that up.

Sugarphreak
10-29-2016, 11:06 AM

ExtraSlow
10-29-2016, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That is true... never use grease or any lubricant. If you do, it will over-tighten the nut using the dry torque spec.

I usually just tighten everything to 100~105ft-lbs for cars, and about 110~120 for trucks. Even the best torque wrenches are not as accurate as people like to think, I'd rather slightly over-tighten (as bolts have a massive safety factor) than under-tighten and risk losing a wheel in traffic.
I snapped a lug off a toyota corolla once. I wasn't really paying attention, and I was used to dealing with heavier trucks at the time. Wasn't using a torque wrench, but wasn't really givin'er. Snapped one stud, and stretched/yielded a couple others.
Turns out the torque spec on that was something like 80 ft-lbs, and I was probably 120 or so with my finely calibrated biceps. I also had anti-seize on them, which was making it worse.
Boy the owner of that corolla was pissed! I don't get asked to swap them over to winters any more, so win for me! :thumbsup: