PDA

View Full Version : YYC6 autox - Sun. November 6/16

reijo
11-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Yes, another autox this coming Sunday .... at the YYC/Budget/ex-Park'n Jet lot just north of YYC, weather is looking good, let's do it!

Registration is open:

www.msreg.com/YYC6

See you Sunday! :)

R

zieg
11-01-2016, 06:26 PM
https://i.imgur.com/h4JAM4R.gif

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Sure why not.

LUDELVR
11-02-2016, 05:42 AM
Is it going to be the same course layout?

A2VR6
11-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Is it going to be the same course layout?

Nope we usually switch it up every event.

I'll probably come out and spectate a bit, everything right now is on winters so no driving for me!

rage2
11-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Going to be a last minute decision for me. Really want to do this one, but lots to do to get the car out of storage, hit a registry to register the car, and to move some kids stuff around on the sunday. Temps are going to be summer like haha.

reijo
11-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Can always register on-line so we have you in the 'puter etc. Also reg. closes Sat. 6 pm so there is time.

Going to design a longer course this time but still avoid parts that are too slow.

R

LUDELVR
11-02-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm going to do this again for sure. It was so much fun but apparently, I need a thicker front sway bar and WAY better tires. These will have to be done next season and this Sunday, I'll just be taking it easy to get a feel for my car and I won't be pushing it at all. I do like being able to pull around corners quickly and not have to worry about looking for police so that part is definitely great!:thumbsup:

Errol.
11-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Might as well. Regret not going to the last one. Time to make my car quiet.

LUDELVR
11-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Errol.
Might as well. Regret not going to the last one. Time to make my car quiet.

I'm not sure how loud your car is but there were some really loud ones on the course but no one got kicked off. I guess I really don't know my decibels!

In any case...ALL REGISTERED and ready to go!:thumbsup:

Murray Peterson
11-02-2016, 10:33 AM
You should come for a ride with me to feel how an S2000 handles with a bigger FSB.

rage2
11-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Murray Peterson
You should come for a ride with me to feel how an S2000 handles with a bigger FSB.
... and real tires. ;)

Murray Peterson
11-02-2016, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by rage2

... and real tires. ;)

I wish. I am running on 3 year old Rivals. First gen tires, as well as old and heat cycled to death. Lots of throttle-on understeer (annoying) and throttle-off oversteer (fun).

reijo
11-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Good idea to ride with Murray ... the difference a FSB makes is amazing ... just settles the car down and you can drive much faster with confidence because it isn't going to 'kill' you!

R

ercchry
11-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Temps are going to be summer like haha.

My forecast is showing 10 degrees and rain ... so yeah, like summer :rofl:

reijo
11-02-2016, 11:28 AM
this one says +15C and sunny ... with Calgary subject to change until the day of the event? :)

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/alberta/calgary

reijo
11-02-2016, 11:44 AM
ECan agreees

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html

ercchry
11-02-2016, 11:47 AM
The weather channel (stock Apple app) is all doom and gloom, hope the other ones are right, this migraine I have is telling me they probably are

LUDELVR
11-02-2016, 12:03 PM

I wish. I am running on 3 year old Rivals. First gen tires, as well as old and heat cycled to death. Lots of throttle-on understeer (annoying) and throttle-off oversteer (fun).

I'll take you up on that offer! I do like to see what an S can do at its limits on a track since I have never felt it.

On a related note, I now realize how little horsepower makes in this sport but with that being said, I feel because of the turbo, my car is a totally different entity and because I'm pushing twice as much torque, how the driving dynamics of the car would differ to a stock f20/f22. I'm slowly learning how to drive this car still and that's why I'm not pushing it but rather, getting a feel for how to drive it.

reijo
11-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Typically falls are very dry in SoAl ... so even if there is any rain it would be pretty minimal ... in the meanwhile it takes a bit of planning and organization to put on these events so we have to rely on "faith" a bit.

Also we do run in the rain and despite the forecasts, we actually get very few rain days. My almost unused Hoosier wets will testify to that. :)

LUDELVR
11-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by reijo
Typically falls are very dry in SoAl ... so even if there is any rain it would be pretty minimal ... in the meanwhile it takes a bit of planning and organization to put on these events so we have to rely on "faith" a bit.

Also we do run in the rain and despite the forecasts, we actually get very few rain days. My almost unused Hoosier wets will testify to that. :)

Just a quick question regrading this then. If it does rain, are we refunded our payments?

reijo
11-02-2016, 01:43 PM
No because we run in the rain. The event is not cancelled.

Bring good footwear ... water proof pants (pull over .. sort of an option if rain is not sideways), rain jacket and at the least an umbrella. Part of a std autox "kit" to bring along .... look in the novice guides at the SASC forum ... lots of good ideas there .... I always bring an umbrella ... also good to keep the sun off on a hot day.

For the record one of the most fun days I had this year was a rain day (part of day) in Fort Macleod ... good practice for driving in the wet which is another skill again! Some people excel in the rain; others not so much. Same for cars but mostly depend on the rubber, car-wise.

Working in rain is not as much fun but ok if you are ready and dressed for it ... no need to be cold and wet ... be prepared.

R

LUDELVR
11-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by reijo
No because we run in the rain. The event is not cancelled.

Bring good footwear ... water proof pants (pull over .. sort of an option if rain is not sideways), rain jacket and at the least an umbrella. Part of a std autox "kit" to bring along .... look in the novice guides at the SASC forum ... lots of good ideas there .... I always bring an umbrella ... also good to keep the sun off on a hot day.

For the record one of the most fun days I had this year was a rain day (part of day) in Fort Macleod ... good practice for driving in the wet which is another skill again! Some people excel in the rain; others not so much. Same for cars but mostly depend on the rubber, car-wise.

Working in rain is not as much fun but ok if you are ready and dressed for it ... no need to be cold and wet ... be prepared.

R

Oh damn! I thought you were kidding. This is going to be interesting!!

reijo
11-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Also wet pavement is easier on tires ....

I prefer rain days since we get so few of them. I think of rain (real rain with running water ... not just damp/light sprinkles) as great practice ... important to practice your wet driving skills imho.

R

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-02-2016, 01:51 PM
I actually hope it rains as well. The most fun day I've ever had at auto x was the last practice day in Fort McLeod this year.

Murray Peterson
11-02-2016, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

I'll take you up on that offer! I do like to see what an S can do at its limits on a track since I have never felt it.

On a related note, I now realize how little horsepower makes in this sport but with that being said, I feel because of the turbo, my car is a totally different entity and because I'm pushing twice as much torque, how the driving dynamics of the car would differ to a stock f20/f22. I'm slowly learning how to drive this car still and that's why I'm not pushing it but rather, getting a feel for how to drive it.

Good plan!

Turbo lag and extra torque needs to be handled by the driver -- not always an easy job, especially if the turbo is large and has a lot of lag -- makes it a difficult car to drive in this sport.

Work on being smooth, smooth, smooth with your inputs. A heavy hand (or foot) will never work to your advantage (in any driving sport).

Murray Peterson
11-02-2016, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I actually hope it rains as well. The most fun day I've ever had at auto x was the last practice day in Fort McLeod this year.

What were you driving? I enjoyed that day, but the S2K was definitely a handful. On the plus side, I was definitely better in the rain than last year.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-02-2016, 02:21 PM

What were you driving? I enjoyed that day, but the S2K was definitely a handful. On the plus side, I was definitely better in the rain than last year.

I was in my 1998 STi wagon that day. The Subaru sucks in everything but wet and loose surface though. I miss my S2000 :(

reijo
11-04-2016, 11:35 PM
57 signed up as of 11 pm Friday night.

You have until 6 pm on Saturday to sign up on-line.

The next weekend we have the SASC AGM so it is more unlikely that we will get this kind of weather again until the spring....

R