PDA

View Full Version : Help me be an electrician!

Mar
11-04-2016, 05:36 PM
From the people that brought you "Help me be a plumber" comes my newest attempt at home renovations!

I bought fan timer switches for both bathrooms about 6 months ago and it's finally time to install them. I have no clue where the wires go here, nor do I know why 2 of them are twisted together. Can anyone help match up these wires please? Thanks.

Instructions state:
- copper wall wire -> green
- wall hot wire -> black
- wall load wire -> red
- wall neutral -> white
- yellow unused because this is a single switch install

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/IMG_20161104_171430.jpg

http://codemonkies.ca/blueimp/server/php/files/IMG_20161104_171447.jpg

ExtraSlow
11-04-2016, 05:40 PM
Green is ground to the bare copper that should be buried in that receptacle box. Connect whit to whit and black to black and the red and orange go to your fan.

If that doesn't work, try hooking it up to the four-pin connection at the hitch of the veloster.

Thaco
11-04-2016, 05:42 PM
in for the lolz

Mar
11-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Green is ground to the bare copper that should be buried in that receptacle box. Connect whit to whit and black to black and the red and orange go to your fan.

If that doesn't work, try hooking it up to the four-pin connection at the hitch of the veloster.

Green and white I got but I have no idea which black goes to black and which other black goes to red.

Mar
11-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Got it with the multimeter, the 4 wires twisted together are hot. Other blacks must be the load.

Hot is what always has power right?

Thaco
11-04-2016, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Got it with the multimeter, the 4 wires twisted together are hot. Other blacks must be the load.

Hot is what always has power right? no, hot and neutral alternate who has power, thats why its called AC, alternating, they switch back and forth.

FraserB
11-04-2016, 06:35 PM
In on epic thread.

Buster
11-04-2016, 07:34 PM
At least we have a before picture of the OP's hand.

mobius
11-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
no, hot and neutral alternate who has power, thats why its called AC, alternating, they switch back and forth.

Ahhh, no. If that were the case it would be called AP not AC. AC is Alternating Current. The current direction changes within a completed circuit, however the identified conductor (white) is not required to complete the circuit. Any old path to ground will do, (ie a grounded human body).

The identified conductors (white) are bonded to ground at the service entrance and at the transformer. There is no voltage potential on them normally.

The black wires twisted together are hot, they come from the circuit breaker and DO have voltage potential.

rx7_turbo2
11-04-2016, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by mobius
Ahhh, no. If that were the case it would be called AP not AC. AC is Alternating Current. The current switches directions at a rate of 60HZ (60 times per second).

60hz=60 cycles per second. If you look at the waveform it actually changes direction 120 times.

https://cramster-image.s3.amazonaws.com/definitions/9780071702508-f0255-03.jpg

revelations
11-04-2016, 09:09 PM

:rofl: on so many old Mar threads.....

dj_rice
11-04-2016, 09:26 PM
Trial and error. Make sure the main power switch is off. That is all

Mar
11-04-2016, 09:32 PM
All done and working. I didn't realize I had to keep all the neutral together at first, I just pulled one out and hooked it up to the white wire from the switch solo. Once I got all white wires back together it worked great. Thanks!

mobius
11-05-2016, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

60hz=60 cycles per second. If you look at the waveform it actually changes direction 120 times.

Yup, my bad.

rx7_turbo2
11-05-2016, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Mar
All done and working. I didn't realize I had to keep all the neutral together at first, I just pulled one out and hooked it up to the white wire from the switch solo. Once I got all white wires back together it worked great. Thanks!

For the record and the benefit of anyone reading, opening a neutral like that is EXTREMELY dangerous, maybe one of the most dangerous things you can do in a 3 wire system like a house has.

It's not only extremely dangerous, it's easily possible to create a situation that will permanately damage devices and equipment. If you absolutely have to open a neutral make sure that you understand how the cct operates and what opening it will do, ensure the power is off, and you re-close the neutral before re-energizing the cct. More professional electricians are injured and equipment damaged by mistakes with neutral conductors than nearly anything else.

mr2mike
11-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Disappointing read.

When does "Help me be a roofer" come out?

revelations
11-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Does someone have a list of Mar "help me with..... " threads?

RealJimmyJames
11-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Coming soon: "Help me be a sex worker"
:bigpimp:

BokCh0y
11-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Help me be a man and kick out my roommate.

Help me mount this ski rack on a roof made of glass.

Help me be a plumber.

Help me be an electrician.

FraserB
11-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Wasn't there a trailer hitch thread too?

Star1995
11-07-2016, 06:45 PM

At first I thought this was the best answer, I took it as him saying "try this and if you're still alive then try something else"

Originally posted by dj_rice
Trial and error. Make sure the main power switch is off. That is all

But then this came along "Trial & error Electrical" "we'll figure it out eventually"

Mar
11-07-2016, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
Help me be a man and kick out my roommate.

Help me mount this ski rack on a roof made of glass.

Help me be a plumber.

Help me be an electrician.

Help me fix my furnace so I don't freeze. And replace the main board and take apart the impellor when the problem was a dirty flame sensor.

Help me attach a trailer to a car.

98brg2d
11-08-2016, 09:42 AM
Assuming those are Mar's actual pictures, why did you buy a one gang timer when you have a two gang box?

Thaco
11-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by 98brg2d
Assuming those are Mar's actual pictures, why did you buy a one gang timer when you have a two gang box? perhaps he only wanted one appliance on the timer... swapping the coverplate is pretty straight forward

98brg2d
11-08-2016, 10:27 AM
D'oh, I assumed if the timer was decora as well the plate would not be on in the photo!

Thaco
11-08-2016, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by 98brg2d
D'oh, I assumed if the timer was decora as well the plate would not be on in the photo! usually packaged switches come with the plate,