PDA

View Full Version : Calgary police officer charged with kidnapping, break and enter

JfuckinC
11-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Global Link (http://globalnews.ca/news/3068046/calgary-police-officer-charged-with-kidnapping-break-and-enter/)

What the fuck :nut:

JRSC00LUDE
11-15-2016, 01:05 PM
Stalker much? :eek:

At least he's "no longer employed" there.

ExtraSlow
11-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Very interested to know this dudes name. I used to know a couple of creepy guys who are now cops. gross.

dezmarez
11-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Very interested to know this dudes name. I used to know a couple of creepy guys who are now cops. gross.

Check @CBCMeg on twitter for updates....

btimbit
11-15-2016, 03:07 PM
CPS on a roll lately

TomcoPDR
11-15-2016, 03:42 PM
I used to know a couple of creepy guys who are now cops. gross.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/400990/coquitlam-rcmp-investigating-after-2-seniors-dragged-/

Better do as we're told when instructed by an officer

Crazyjoker77
11-15-2016, 04:27 PM

"Denis McHugh, 35, had spent eight years in the Calgary Police Service (CPS) at the time of the alleged incidents."

his name is said multiple times in the article

JRSC00LUDE
11-15-2016, 04:29 PM
^ The link must have been updated as it did not originally contain that info. :)

jwslam
11-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Yea pretty sure it said earlier his name was protected until post trial

LadyLuck
11-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Yea pretty sure it said earlier his name was protected until post trial

The names are released once they are put before a JP and formally charged. His name is on the CPS facebook page as well.

suen_boi
11-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Not quite fair to drag all officers through the mud for the actions of a few. We all know one or two shitbags in our own workplaces.

ExtraSlow
11-15-2016, 05:14 PM
Not one of the dirtbags I know. That's reassuring.

Although, I will say, out of all the cops I know, and it's an oddly high number, most are upstanding citizens. :thumbsup:

Crazyjoker77
11-15-2016, 05:21 PM
I would like to see some sort of officer bait program rolled out to weed out these POS with badges. I mean they have bait programs for damn near every crime out there(drugs, prostitution, alcohol sales, auto theft, money laundering, gambling, fraud) but yet I've NEVER heard of a department running one for police misconduct.

IMO a crooked cop is way more serious of an offense than selling a case of beer to a 17yo...

it would be as simple as setting up surveillance and dispatching the officer to a secluded area and do anything from offering him a bribe/ threatning him/family, passivly resisting and making sure he acts professional when dealing with a difficult person.

I see no negatives to this it would quickly weed out the bad officers and might make the borderline officers think twice about going for the baton before the handcuffs....

They claim to be professionals and are expected to act like it even in shit circumstances.

I guess one downside is that they would probably be looking for a lot of new officers...

gwill
11-15-2016, 09:36 PM
cps definitely on a roll... werent 5 or 6 previoue cps employees all charged with serious crimes a month or two ago?

Good to see they didnt take it easy on the charges for this case... i couldnt imagine having a raging police officer stalking me... This will be an interesting one to follow.

nismodrifter
11-15-2016, 10:38 PM
I agree with comments above, good to see they went full out on the charges. I want to see how this pans out. Strong stalker.

OT: strong blue hair.

Feruk
11-16-2016, 04:24 PM
The story's pretty vague. Would like a bit more info...

gwill
11-16-2016, 04:34 PM
whats vague about it?

Stuart
11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
I think what is vague / left out in the article includes:
-Once the complaint was lodged in January how long was the officer still on patrol?
-During the time he still was, did the CPS take any steps to protect the couple from further harassment?
-Have there been previous complaints about this officer that were either dismissed or ignored?

Basically the kind of questions a good reporter would have asked (not that I should expect good reporting anymore)

HiTempguy1
11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

Exactly what I was thinking.

gwill
11-16-2016, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Stuart
I think what is vague / left out in the article includes:
-Once the complaint was lodged in January how long was the officer still on patrol?
-During the time he still was, did the CPS take any steps to protect the couple from further harassment?
-Have there been previous complaints about this officer that were either dismissed or ignored?

Basically the kind of questions a good reporter would have asked (not that I should expect good reporting anymore)

Reporters these days rely upon quoting tweets and they call that a story... journalism is all but a dead career for the lazy.

Personally i didnt think it was that vague as what your asking will come out at trial or arent relevant to the charges.

Should be interesting to hear the officers excuses..

RY213
11-17-2016, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by suen_boi
Not quite fair to drag all officers through the mud for the actions of a few. We all know one or two shitbags in our own workplaces.

Yes it is. They are supposed to have a tight recruitment process to filter out people like this. I knew 2 people that made the force that were also unbalanced. Both ended up being fired but this showed me that their recruitment process is a joke.

Feruk
11-17-2016, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by gwill
whats vague about it?
Motive? Was he actually stalking the girl? If so, why break into her house? They didn't know each other beforehand, so it's not like some sort of jealous ex thing. I'd like to know why he did what he is accused of.

phil98z24
11-17-2016, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/400990/coquitlam-rcmp-investigating-after-2-seniors-dragged-/

Better do as we're told when instructed by an officer

Is that supposed to be funny?

Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
I would like to see some sort of officer bait program rolled out to weed out these POS with badges. I mean they have bait programs for damn near every crime out there(drugs, prostitution, alcohol sales, auto theft, money laundering, gambling, fraud) but yet I've NEVER heard of a department running one for police misconduct.

IMO a crooked cop is way more serious of an offense than selling a case of beer to a 17yo...

it would be as simple as setting up surveillance and dispatching the officer to a secluded area and do anything from offering him a bribe/ threatning him/family, passivly resisting and making sure he acts professional when dealing with a difficult person.

I see no negatives to this it would quickly weed out the bad officers and might make the borderline officers think twice about going for the baton before the handcuffs....

They claim to be professionals and are expected to act like it even in shit circumstances.

I guess one downside is that they would probably be looking for a lot of new officers...

While I agree with the principle of what you're saying, some of that is bordering on entrapment. But I get the point. And as far as looking for a lot of new officers? Wow. What objective information do you have to back that opinion up?

Originally posted by Feruk

Agreed. We'd all like to know. This is incredibly disturbing.

Originally posted by RY213

Yes it is. They are supposed to have a tight recruitment process to filter out people like this. I knew 2 people that made the force that were also unbalanced. Both ended up being fired but this showed me that their recruitment process is a joke.

It includes psych testing and a bunch of processes to try and weed that out. It's not perfect, but your anecdotal experience saying it's a joke does not make it so. There are no less than 4 different profiling interviews with professionals who do this for a living, so I'll counter with that. Do you know the whole process?

Thanks for dragging me and the great people I work with through the mud because of the very few who are being accused of things we too find incredibly disturbing. No one I know or work with wants to be around those people or have them working for us.

HiTempguy1
11-17-2016, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by phil98z24

It includes psych testing and a bunch of processes to try and weed that out. It's not perfect, but your anecdotal experience saying it's a joke does not make it so. There are no less than 4 different profiling interviews with professionals who do this for a living, so I'll counter with that. Do you know the whole process?

I know a couple people who went through applying with the RCMP, CPS, and EPS.

They want educated people. The one guy drank quite a bit (socially), they didn't like that. He also was vaguely acquainted with some not great people (nothing crazy). They didn't like that.

He was told to try again later, even though he was a pretty OK guy (I don't say that about many people). Another person was the same thing.

Way stricter hiring standards than 95% of companies out there. How many total city/county/RCMP officers are in Canada?

So 15 behave badly in a year? Like 0.01%? And the nation is in uproar over it.

dirtsniffer
11-17-2016, 10:38 AM
:thumbsup: thanks phil. What I see here is CPS protecting the city. It's not like they tried to bury it, it sounds like they want the book thrown at him.

SOAB
11-17-2016, 10:51 AM
I know a few people that are police officers with the city and every single one of them had to apply more than once. they were all rejected at least a few times.

CPS want people with an education as well as some life experience. they are not taking people fresh out of high school or university.

01RedDX
11-17-2016, 11:33 AM

JRSC00LUDE
11-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
It's also the type of job where one is more likely to develop issues later on due to stress, even if they pass initial screening with no problems..

This.

A close friend's brother became a Cop. 4 years later he is not the same person he was - marriage failed, different personality, many little things that border on unrecognizable from the person he was before. I can only imagine this is due to the things he has experienced and had to attempt to deal with.

Not everyone is built to handle the realities of that line of work and sometimes all the screening in the world can't predict future effects. The flip side of him is two of my own buddies who are Cops, one of whom I play hockey with on the regular - they're still the exact same people I've always known them to be (which is good by the way haha). And both have been involved in units/divisions or whatever that you can guarantee have exposed them to some REALLY difficult stuff.

Perhaps the first referenced person will be able to adapt his coping mechanisms and create a separation between work and life as the other two clearly have, perhaps not. No model can 100% predict how someone will ultimately be affected by their experiences - just like if someone is pathological enough in certain areas of their personality they will be able to pass all the screening you can throw their way.

max_boost
11-17-2016, 12:28 PM
I joke about the serve and to collect stuff on here but that's more about the system. I don't hate the playas, just the game lol

I have a lot of respect for the CPS. :thumbsup: Incredibly tough job. People out there are legit crazy and they gotta put up with that. :thumbsup:

TomcoPDR
11-17-2016, 12:43 PM

Is that supposed to be funny?

No. while law enforcement is a tough and stressful job. It's great when the bad apples get caught and discipline.

JfuckinC
11-17-2016, 12:52 PM
I didn't make this thread to cast a shitty view on Calgary Police as a whole, I just think this is a nightmare situation. How does one react to a cop? any other citizen and the guy would get beaten with a bat..

I've literally only ever had one bad run in with the Calgary police, and it was completely situational and the one officer could have had a bit of reasoning for his conduct if the situation was what he actually perceived it to be.. His co-workers were excellent to deal with and made up for it anyway.

I just can't imagine this situation, I'd probably end up in jail because I'm crazy protective of my girl :thumbsdow

gretz
11-17-2016, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
I didn't make this thread to cast a shitty view on Calgary Police as a whole, I just think this is a nightmare situation. How does one react to a cop? any other citizen and the guy would get beaten with a bat..

I've literally only ever had one bad run in with the Calgary police, and it was completely situational and the one officer could have had a bit of reasoning for his conduct if the situation was what he actually perceived it to be.. His co-workers were excellent to deal with and made up for it anyway.

I just can't imagine this situation, I'd probably end up in jail because I'm crazy protective of my girl :thumbsdow

Is there such thing as self defense when dealing with the CPS?

max_boost
11-17-2016, 02:07 PM
the thing with being in law enforcement is, everyone becomes the Angry Asian dad. it's 100% or bust :nut:

Back the Blue! :angel:

gwill
11-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by gretz

Is there such thing as self defense when dealing with the CPS?

Nope. There are 50 different charges theyd throw at someone.

gwill
11-17-2016, 02:24 PM

It seems calgary has a fair amount of police officers or former police officers facing charges. More so then other cities...

While one can say thats from a lax hiring process it could be that they arent afraid to hold officers accountable. Not sure which it is...

LadyLuck
11-17-2016, 03:41 PM

It seems calgary has a fair amount of police officers or former police officers facing charges. More so then other cities...

While one can say thats from a lax hiring process it could be that they arent afraid to hold officers accountable. Not sure which it is...

Or perhaps that other cities are keeping their dirt on the DL vs. CPS Chief going for transparency...

revelations
11-17-2016, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by gretz
Is there such thing as self defense when dealing with the POLICE?

If you were very well versed in case law and the CCC you could be a pain in the ass and try to fight false arrest - but that is highly improbable.

If memory serves, some years ago the RCMP raided a house under a warrant - but forgot to announce (or not loudly enough) that they were the Police and one member was shot and injured. The shooter, believing they were defending their home from armed intruders (and not the police), got away with it (not sure how he wasn't shot).

Basically, if the Police are genuinely acting wrong, the courts are the time and place to make your stand. Fighting with the police - even if you have done nothing wrong - isn't a very bright idea.

cancer man
11-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77

"Denis McHugh, 35, had spent eight years in the Calgary Police Service (CPS) at the time of the alleged incidents."

his name is said multiple times in the article

If he is from Quebec and had a 6 month old baby in 2013
and has been here for 5 years at that time. He is the douche that arrested me and my dog because i had no id when walking along my block. signed off on the monitor as Batman.

Shlade
11-19-2016, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by LadyLuck

Or perhaps that other cities are keeping their dirt on the DL vs. CPS Chief going for transparency...

^what ladyluck said...

I've heard both good, and bad things in the past about Hanson who was the former police chief. Although a great guy, he was top guy when all this media stuff and "public transparency" via Facebook and news outlets wasn't all that important. We are in 2016 now where everybody wants to know what's going on. And most of that comes from Facebook, twitter, etc...

IM SURE that in the past there's been more instances that none of us joe blows in public knew (or in some cases personally don't even need to know) and probably instances that were dealt with and swept under the rug to protect the agencies name.

The new chief has a tough job ahead of him. It's looking like a bit of a shit storm lately with the past few months of stuff that are coming to light (the female officers coming forward about harassment) WHICH all occurred before he took the role of Chief,
The CPS officers charged with excessive force a few months back...
All of this which YOU would not know unless CPS told you about it.

Cut them some slack. We are a BIG city with a BIG police force. It could be MUCH worse.

Also, in regards to the "lax hiring process" I invite you to fill out the large document, take the CPS entrance exam, and start your process (if you're lucky to make it that far) and let us know just how "lax is it".

RY213
11-19-2016, 12:21 PM

Thanks for dragging me and the great people I work with through the mud because of the very few who are being accused of things we too find incredibly disturbing. No one I know or work with wants to be around those people or have them working for us.

You say that but would you cross the "blue line" to out these people?

gwill
11-19-2016, 12:29 PM
No he wouldnt and not sure id blame him. Officers dont rat on eachother. Look to edmontons police force to see what happens when an officer does. They threaten, they bully.. they all wear no rat tshirts.

Who knows what else they do that doesnt get reported...

Gman.45
11-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Having lived in the USA for 1/2 my working life, and also having worked 4 years total over 8 years in the mid east, I think we're pretty fortunate in Calgary and Canada in general to have the L/E that we do. Is it perfect, of course not, but I think overall the majority of officers are decent people. Of course the blue wall exists, but you'll find the same thing in any group really.

I think the recruitment methods are as solid as they can be made - I too have friends and family who are cops, and know that the specific process for Calgary is pretty in depth. One friend who became an officer around 2004, he had to submit 25 people who knew him that weren't family, and they talked to ALL of them, including his family. They also would stop by un announced at him residence just to see how he lived and what he was up to on any given day/evening. Add in all the psych tests, the polygraph - which aren't much fun if you haven't done one for any type of personal reliability profiling - what more can anyone seriously ask?

Again, there is always going to be that small percentage of jerk offs in any job. I call it the 10% rule, you see 1 in 10 in most lines of work that are just "switched off" sort of people, where no logic can explain how they even funciton much less have an important job. In L/E in Canada, I feel they are even ahead of this curve, probably more like 1/20. I knew 2 cops that worked paid duty in the clubs in Calgary, that spent more time IN the clubs than most of those who worked there even. One of them would follow waitresses and bartenders home constantly trying to pick them up, a lot of stalker-ish behavior. This is reality - my friend who became a CPS officer circa 2004 was dating one of these girls I worked with (I introduced them), and the older paid duty cop was stalking her constantly, and it turned into a beef in between both my friend, a new officer with a training officer still, and this 20 year vet cop, and stalker-cop ended up getting bad paper from professional standards over it. It happens, but that doesn't make it right to paint the entire department with that brush - try living in an American city, or in another country, and see how L/E is compared to here. I maintain the opinion that we are very fortunate, despite the occasional issue such as the OP, and regarding that, without knowing much of the facts, there shouldn't be this rush to judgement anyway.

CompletelyNumb
11-19-2016, 01:59 PM
So we've established there are stringent requirements and tests to get a job in the first place, but are there any follow ups to that? Serious question, I have no idea. Seems like the kind of job where some sort of follow up would be warranted.

Not uncommon in other professions. Certifications have to be renewed. Tickets renewed. Medicals renewed. D&A tests throughout employment. Etc

gwill
11-19-2016, 03:59 PM
the union wouldnt allow that.

phil98z24
11-19-2016, 04:24 PM

You say that but would you cross the "blue line" to out these people?

Absolutely. There is no way in hell I'm lying or covering for anyone, and if I see something I know is unlawful or unethical, I absolutely do speak up.

phil98z24
11-19-2016, 04:27 PM
No he wouldnt and not sure id blame him. Officers dont rat on eachother. Look to edmontons police force to see what happens when an officer does. They threaten, they bully.. they all wear no rat tshirts.

Who knows what else they do that doesnt get reported...

Thanks for speaking on my behalf, especially when you're wrong. It's this kind of blowhard BS that gets everyone fought up and is incredibly irresponsible for you to say. You have no clue what is actually happening, and to say these types of things really taints the majority of us who are hard working, ethical, and good people who strive to do our best everyday. Get a grip.

phil98z24
11-19-2016, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
So we've established there are stringent requirements and tests to get a job in the first place, but are there any follow ups to that? Serious question, I have no idea. Seems like the kind of job where some sort of follow up would be warranted.

Not uncommon in other professions. Certifications have to be renewed. Tickets renewed. Medicals renewed. D&A tests throughout employment. Etc

Yes, there absolutely is.

the union wouldnt allow that.

Please. Enough.

OTown
11-19-2016, 06:09 PM
gwill's grudge on anything related to law enforcement continues... :nut:

CompletelyNumb
11-19-2016, 06:21 PM

Yes, there absolutely is.

:thumbsup:

Simple enough.

Not sure why people get bent out of shape. Someone broke the law and got charged for it. What more can you ask for?

Minimalist
11-19-2016, 06:33 PM
I was driving through the small prairie city my wife grew up in when a city cop car threw on the lights and pulled us over. He knew my wife's older sister from high school and wanted to know if he could get her unlisted phone number as he heard she was recently divorced. Our out of province car was registered in my wife's name. He had to have been stalking the place we were staying at, as it was the family home for decades. Mentioned this to the sis-in-law and she was grossed out as the cop was a real perv in HS.

My point is, this small seemingly misuse of authority goes on and is often unreported. I have a relative on a city police force, he never ever talks shop and only mentions when someone in the family is hanging out with the wrong crowd if he thinks the kid is worth saving. I'd hate to be a cop, too much pain and almost no reward for your efforts.