PDA

View Full Version : Link: Unfair Parking Fees On Private Lots Aren't Tickets

sexualbanana
11-19-2016, 01:29 PM
Unfair Parking Fees On Private Lots Aren't Tickets... (CBC) (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/marketplace-parking-private-lots-1.3851956)

I know there's been a lot of discussion on here in the past, just thought I'd send the link.

wintonyk
11-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Literally just finished watching the episode. I think we all know about Impark, Wespark and Vinci (Indigo). There are a few lots run by Precise Parklink and they are way more aggressive. Also not sure how they obtain info but they did send a collections letter to my gf, which she promptly ignored.

BokCh0y
11-19-2016, 02:37 PM
I never pay the impart tix, and thanks for the article.

Maxx Mazda
11-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Yup. Wen parking on private lots free for years. Knock on wood, but I haven't been towed yet either.

rage2
11-19-2016, 04:17 PM
The more people don't pay, the sooner they'll start using the boot haha. That would be hilarious to see.

jwslam
11-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The more people don't pay, the sooner they'll start using the boot haha. That would be hilarious to see.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a31070/the-barnacle-parking-boot/
dgdq-VUSaFY

master hec0
11-19-2016, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a31070/the-barnacle-parking-boot/
dgdq-VUSaFY

I'd rather smash my windshield than pay to remove that awful thing.

OU812
11-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Yargh!!

:hijack:

J-hop
11-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

dgdq-VUSaFY

I wonder what the likelyhood of them causing cracks to grow is?

I saw this article. Good to know that collections doesn't hurt your credit unless a ruling is made, I didn't realize that.

95EagleAWD
11-19-2016, 08:27 PM
Boots are illegal in Alberta.

JRSC00LUDE
11-19-2016, 09:10 PM
If they can't legally force you to pay Rage, how could they legally take care and control of your vehicle? Which is essentially what a boot does....

Even if they were legal there.

btimbit
11-19-2016, 10:12 PM
inb4 "Why don't you be a man and pay?"

Because these companies have shady business practices so fuck them

D'z Nutz
11-19-2016, 10:55 PM
Serious question: do you guys who don't pay Impark (et al.) tickets use their lots without paying an hourly rate knowing you're just going to toss the tickets anyways? Or do at least pay the hourly rate?

btimbit
11-19-2016, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Really? Neat. Sorry, I hate when people say this, but do you have a source for that? Not calling you a liar, just genuinely curious and couldn't find anything. I know you're in law enforcement (unless I'm getting posters confused again) but want something to back it up if I point it out to someone.

Sugarphreak
11-19-2016, 11:41 PM

roopi
11-20-2016, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

If those started showing up, I'd just keep a cordless drill in the trunk... a well placed hole into each suction cup would render it useless pretty quick

Or you could pay for the service you are using and leave the drill at home.

dubhead
11-20-2016, 09:16 AM

This seems to be true but it's not stopping a parking company in Edmonton from booting cars and extorting I think somewhere around $300 from peoplen :nut: . Of course it sounds like they won't take it off unless the police come and tell them to do it and with EPS response times you might as well pay the $300

RealJimmyJames
11-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Or you could pay for the service you are using and leave the drill at home. That is crazy talk.

killramos
11-20-2016, 10:06 AM

If those started showing up, I'd just keep a cordless drill in the trunk... a well placed hole into each suction cup would render it useless pretty quick

My thoughts exactly, how much does that pos cost compared to each ticket?

With a wireless cc reader installed in each one destroying them would get expensive very quickly.

speedog
11-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by btimbit
inb4 "Why don't you be a man and pay?"

Because these companies have shady business practices so fuck them

Exactly what are these shady business practices?

btimbit
11-20-2016, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Exactly what are these shady business practices?

Well, if the yearly news articles about these tickets aren't enough for you, here's a quick summary.

-Using 'fines' as revenue rather than an incentive to pay properly. Not having a real process to appeal and dispute these 'fines'

-Lying about what these 'fines' are, calling them a ticket when all it is is an invoice

-Using their billing department as a collections department, and giving them a name like "City Collections" to make it sound official when they have no affiliation with the city at all.

-These collections departments threaten and lie to people, claiming they'll make the ticket damage their credit if they don't pay, even though no credit bureau will recognize a private parking ticket unless it's been through the courts and the consumer has been ordered to pay the parking company damages

-Using extortion methods to get people to pay (see boot comment above)

I'm not saying be a deadbeat and use their services for free, personally because of all this I don't use their lots at all. To others, just don't let them take advantage of you. If you get one of these invoices and it was legitimately an error on your part, call them up and offer to pay whatever the original cost of parking would have been, since legally that is all that's owed. But anything like in the article, 'not properly displaying the receipt' screw them, don't pay that garbage.

suntan
11-20-2016, 04:28 PM
I thought everybody knew all this already. Even when I got my license in 1989 there were articles in the paper.

max_boost
11-20-2016, 05:22 PM
learn something new every day. the parking boot! that's awesome lol

Maxx Mazda
11-20-2016, 06:20 PM
I literally have probably close to $2000 in "tickets" (invoices) from these private companies and have never in 15 years received any sort of recourse aside from a frightningly worded and official looking letter in the mail.

btimbit
11-20-2016, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
I literally have probably close to $2000 in "tickets" (invoices) from these private companies and have never in 15 years received any sort of recourse aside from a frightningly worded and official looking letter in the mail.

I got a letter from the UofC for a parking ticket once. They threatened to withhold my degree unless any and all parking tickets were paid.

I've never been a student there

95EagleAWD
11-20-2016, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Really? Neat. Sorry, I hate when people say this, but do you have a source for that? Not calling you a liar, just genuinely curious and couldn't find anything. I know you're in law enforcement (unless I'm getting posters confused again) but want something to back it up if I point it out to someone.

No idea where I'd find the source, but EPS treats booting cars as a criminal matter. I can ask around, if you'd like.

We (obviously) don't use boots where I work haha.

ercchry
11-20-2016, 06:51 PM

I'd just Ace Ventura it home, then deal with it :rofl:

I bet this idea ends after the first lawsuit when someone smashes into, and kills another person

Canmorite
11-20-2016, 09:46 PM

Or you could pay for the service you are using and leave the drill at home.

Agreed. Although I agree their tickets aren't enforceable like the city's are, what is the argument for using a parking lot but not paying for it? Entitlement?

btimbit
11-20-2016, 09:55 PM

No idea where I'd find the source, but EPS treats booting cars as a criminal matter. I can ask around, if you'd like.

We (obviously) don't use boots where I work haha.

If you wouldn't mind that'd be awesome. I'm really curious. Although it really makes sense given that I've never seen one, other than guys putting them on their trailers to prevent them from getting stolen.

rage2
11-20-2016, 10:05 PM
News to me that boots aren't legal here. I've seen booted cars in random condo visitor parking here and there so someone is doing it in Calgary, although it has been a few years since I've seen one.

I don't think I've gotten an impark ticket in forever ever since I stopped being a rebel and just paid for parking haha. My only complaint is that their pay machines are laggy as fuck and just the worst UI experience ever.

Back in the day there were so many ways to not pay and not get tickets. The best was to use a gift card visa that has no money on it and it'll keep working even tho the card declines it. A dead card would give you years of free parking. Now all their machines live authorize the cards before spitting out a parking slip.

OTown
11-21-2016, 04:25 AM
People seem to forget that its private property and that they can still tow and impound vehicles from their lots legally. I'm sure they are keeping track of who is not paying and towing the vehicles from the lots.

So yes, its not likely that they go after you is civil court - but they might just tow your car to make you learn your lesson

suntan
11-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Towing someone costs a lot of money and the tow truck companies are slow to respond.

roopi
11-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Why don't these lots use the cities enforcement services since they are provided at no charge to private property owners. As long as you have the proper signage you can call CPA and they will come and either ticket/tow at no charge.

shadowz
11-21-2016, 09:48 AM
As mentioned above, I know someone in a particular Impark lot who was towed three times for not paying. I guess risk reward

D'z Nutz
11-21-2016, 09:57 AM
Why don't these lots use the cities enforcement services since they are provided at no charge to private property owners. As long as you have the proper signage you can call CPA and they will come and either ticket/tow at no charge.

I know they used to do this. I had a friend who used to work at Impark and there were times he'd be late meeting up cause he had to wait for city towing to come and haul a car away. Of course that was over a decade ago so I'm not sure if it's still done, though I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Also from the lack of response from my previous question, I'm starting to think anyone who complains about getting tickets doesn't even pay the hourly rate to use their lots, which I don't agree with:

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Serious question: do you guys who don't pay Impark (et al.) tickets use their lots without paying an hourly rate knowing you're just going to toss the tickets anyways? Or do at least pay the hourly rate?

suntan
11-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Why don't these lots use the cities enforcement services since they are provided at no charge to private property owners. As long as you have the proper signage you can call CPA and they will come and either ticket/tow at no charge. Because they take forever. By the time they arrive the car might be gone.

Also it ain't free, because our office has called them and they were going to charge us for the service.

suntan
11-21-2016, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by shadowz
As mentioned above, I know someone in a particular Impark lot who was towed three times for not paying. I guess risk reward There's two types of Impark lots:

1) The owns they own and operate. The typical pay for parking lot.

2) The owns that are owned by someone else, and Impark enforces parking rules in them.

#2 is our situation. Impark just makes sure that the two hour public parking is enforced and that cars in office parking spaces have the proper parking tag. In our case Impark will tow the shit out of anyone because it's part of the contract with the landlord.

roopi
11-21-2016, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Because they take forever. By the time they arrive the car might be gone.

Also it ain't free, because our office has called them and they were going to charge us for the service.

There website says it is a free service to the public:
https://www.calgaryparking.com/documents/10184/11488/2015-0075+CPA+Private+property+brochure.pdf/f7a82ebb-800c-4dac-8db7-0ea693287022

I'm just assuming they would charge companies which makes sense.

max_boost
11-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Well if Impark issues a ticket there's a chance you'll pay and they get the money. If they call the City to ticket the money goes to the City. Is that correct? lol

btimbit
11-21-2016, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well if Impark issues a ticket there's a chance you'll pay and they get the money. If they call the City to ticket the money goes to the City. Is that correct? lol

Correct. Impark would rather fine people themselves because then they get the extra revenue. They'd only resort to towing if it's a repeat offender

revelations
11-21-2016, 01:16 PM
Impark actively sets the time on their parking machines off to fuck with people.
One one occasion I got a ticket for failing to display (even though ticket was on dash) because the ticket machine clock was off by something like 10 minutes, so when the attendant went by it showed that I purchased the ticket after their infraction ticket was issued.

I called the number but they did fuck all and the next day I noticed the time was off the same on my printed ticket. If they can live-check credit cards, then can sync all their clocks properly.

Luckily I knew the building manager who contacted Impark and had the ticket squashed.

Active fraud.

suntan
11-21-2016, 01:21 PM

There website says it is a free service to the public:
https://www.calgaryparking.com/documents/10184/11488/2015-0075+CPA+Private+property+brochure.pdf/f7a82ebb-800c-4dac-8db7-0ea693287022

I'm just assuming they would charge companies which makes sense. Yeah, I think it's because we're a business. I think if you're just some shmo it's free.

rage2
11-21-2016, 01:50 PM
Yeah, I think it's because we're a business. I think if you're just some shmo it's free.
You can't call in a tow yourself. Only businesses and staff can do it. It's definitely free.

chkolny541
11-21-2016, 01:59 PM

You can't call in a tow yourself. Only businesses and staff can do it. It's definitely free.

So basically he's lying.

mzdspd
11-21-2016, 02:00 PM
I know with my company truck I have gotten an Impark ticket and they sent it in to my head office and then I had to prove it was paid :thumbsdow

suntan
11-21-2016, 02:38 PM

You can't call in a tow yourself. Only businesses and staff can do it. It's definitely free. Wow, apparently I do not have a "business", and the fucking rent I pay every month for my fucking office is going somewhere magical.

Can I "call it in" if I own the fucking business?

mazdavirgin
11-21-2016, 02:46 PM
:dunno: Wouldn't be an issue if they changed all their lots to the type where have to drive through the gates... Till they do that I don't have much sympathy for them as a business.

rage2
11-21-2016, 02:52 PM
Wow, apparently I do not have a "business", and the fucking rent I pay every month for my fucking office is going somewhere magical.

Can I "call it in" if I own the fucking business?
Your rent goes to whomever owns the office/parking space so only they can call it in. Building management can also give you permission to call in your spots. Owning a business has nothing to do with it. It's owning those parking spots.

In my current building case, we rent the offices here, we rent our parking spots. I can't call it in if someone is in my spot because I don't own the building nor the parking spots. I tell security and/or building management, they call it in since they have authority, and 15 mins later a tow truck comes.

In the latter case, and my experience is from 20+ years ago, property management gave us permission to call in illegal parkers for a tow. We just had to show letter to CPA when they arrived and they were more than happy to tow. That was my shitty task between 4pm-6pm every day before the dinner rush, watch where people park, go, and call shit in. Fun times.

If you're having problems towing people out of your spots, talk to your property management to either work for the rent you pay them and deal with the shit, or give you permission to handle it yourself.

btimbit
11-21-2016, 02:56 PM

Your rent goes to whomever owns the office/parking space so only they can call it in. Building management can also give you permission to call in your spots. Owning a business has nothing to do with it. It's owning those parking spots.

In my current building case, we rent the offices here, we rent our parking spots. I can't call it in if someone is in my spot because I don't own the building nor the parking spots. I tell security and/or building management, they call it in since they have authority, and 15 mins later a tow truck comes.

In the latter case, and my experience is from 20+ years ago, property management gave us permission to call in illegal parkers for a tow. We just had to show letter to CPA when they arrived and they were more than happy to tow. That was my shitty task between 4pm-6pm every day before the dinner rush, watch where people park, go, and call shit in. Fun times.

If you're having problems towing people out of your spots, talk to your property management to either work for the rent you pay them and deal with the shit, or give you permission to handle it yourself.

This was how it's worked for us in the past too. To be able to call it in myself I had to get a letter from building management stating that they were indeed our spots and giving us permission to call for them to be taken off property. Otherwise, we couldn't do it ourselves. And it was always free

suntan
11-21-2016, 03:09 PM

If you're having problems towing people out of your spots, talk to your property management to either work for the rent you pay them and deal with the shit, or give you permission to handle it yourself. In the old days, before Impark took care of parking issues, yes in fact we did have permission to call them in.

However, it was the grumpy accountant that called them, and he was a snarly prick, so maybe they told him they were going to charge because he just rubbed them the wrong way. Also they said "45 minutes, earliest" to get here, probably because of his demeanor, or because we're near Chinook Centre and who the fuck knows how long it takes them to get here.

rage2
11-21-2016, 03:31 PM
In the old days, before Impark took care of parking issues, yes in fact we did have permission to call them in.

However, it was the grumpy accountant that called them, and he was a snarly prick, so maybe they told him they were going to charge because he just rubbed them the wrong way. Also they said "45 minutes, earliest" to get here, probably because of his demeanor, or because we're near Chinook Centre and who the fuck knows how long it takes them to get here.
Well if Impark manages your lot, they should be doing their jobs haha. That's the whole point for them to manage the lot so you don't have to deal with this shit. So did grumpy accountant call Impark or the city? I could see Impark charging you money to tow haha.

suntan
11-21-2016, 03:34 PM
You're slow. What I said occurred happened before Impark took care of things.

rage2
11-21-2016, 03:38 PM
ahh gotcha.

blitz
11-21-2016, 04:39 PM
My wife (and everyone else in the row) got a ticket in a gravel impark lot on 10th avenue for "being outside the lines". Every car was parked a normal distance apart, they just weren't exactly linked up with the parking curb in front of them due to the first few people who parked that day.

She took pictures of the distance between her car and the cars on each side and disputed the ticket with no luck. So we didn't pay it and she uses the non-impark lot beside it out of spite. :rofl:

btimbit
11-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by blitz
My wife (and everyone else in the row) got a ticket in a gravel impark lot on 10th avenue for "being outside the lines". Every car was parked a normal distance apart, they just weren't exactly linked up with the parking curb in front of them due to the first few people who parked that day.

She took pictures of the distance between her car and the cars on each side and disputed the ticket with no luck. So we didn't pay it and she uses the non-impark lot beside it out of spite. :rofl:

For something like that, I wouldn't even just not pay it. Maybe write them a cheque for zero dollars with "Go fuck yourselves" on the memo line

VaN_HaMMeRSTeiN
11-23-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I know they used to do this. I had a friend who used to work at Impark and there were times he'd be late meeting up cause he had to wait for city towing to come and haul a car away. Of course that was over a decade ago so I'm not sure if it's still done, though I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Also from the lack of response from my previous question, I'm starting to think anyone who complains about getting tickets doesn't even pay the hourly rate to use their lots, which I don't agree with:

I know for myself and probably the rest of the heavy drinking crowd, you'll pay for over night and the payment will expire way before we'd even consider being awake. At like 7 AM. Come back to get your car at 11 or whatever and just throw the ticket on the ground.
They've designed the lot to make it an inticing place to leave your car, just so they can ticket you in the AM.
Right outside the roadhouse was prime for this shit.

Proyecto2000
11-23-2016, 11:05 AM
I hate Impark with a passion. I drove to work in my F-350 last week which is too tall for my monthly impark underground spot so I parked down the street at the Impark lot beside Local 522 and paid $40 for the day.

I walk into the lot at 6:02 pm and there is the Impark scum bag writing my a ticket. I ask the guy WTF I am 2 minutes late, I have a monthly impark hang tag on my rear mirrow for another lot and I have the $40 receipt on the dash valid till 6pm. The guy tells me I dont care its 6:02 pm so your ticket is not valid and prints out the ticket and walks away.

I called the Impark 1-800 numbers and they tossed the ticket. On Monday I saw that same dirt bag come into the lot at 5:50pm with his little ticket machine in hand ready to write everyone up at 6 sharp.

ickyflex
11-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
I hate Impark with a passion. I drove to work in my F-350 last week which is too tall for my monthly impark underground spot so I parked down the street at the Impark lot beside Local 522 and paid $40 for the day.

I walk into the lot at 6:02 pm and there is the Impark scum bag writing my a ticket. I ask the guy WTF I am 2 minutes late, I have a monthly impark hang tag on my rear mirrow for another lot and I have the $40 receipt on the dash valid till 6pm. The guy tells me I dont care its 6:02 pm so your ticket is not valid and prints out the ticket and walks away.

I called the Impark 1-800 numbers and they tossed the ticket. On Monday I saw that same dirt bag come into the lot at 5:50pm with his little ticket machine in hand ready to write everyone up at 6 sharp.

Happened a few times then I stopped paying my monthly pass and have this instead. 4 Years since last ticket as I walk to work now but clearly they don't do anything

Total
(137 notices)$ 12,822.80