PDA

View Full Version : vehicle safety in Calgary

r3ccOs
11-20-2016, 01:05 PM
rarely a topic spoken about here.. but how much does it matter to you?

When I was younger, it really didn't... I mean heck it was fun playing with japanese ecohatches or 240SXs, GTIs etc...

but being in Calgary, getting on and having kids... I'm getting quite paranoid especially with the size of vehicles, the urgency everyone is to get somewhere, and texting.

I think in a place like Vancouver, a Golf/Jetta or heck even a corolla would be plenty safe with all the collision tech invested these days... but here, any half ton you see in an accident with a lesser vehicle, and its almost "game" over.

Add on lifted heavy duty trucks that with all their bolt ons (sled deck, bigger wheels/tires, accessories) is encroaching on 10,000lbs at a COG close to the windshield level to any "car". *on top of the fact that these things are driven like they are porsches*

how much of a factor is that in your decision?

I'm now almost at the point where I want to buy a 7 seater (Acadia+ , Yukon, Suburban) just to get that size and safety rating, as my secondary vehicle to my Truck, even though I don't have a real use case for that large of a vehicle.

Its almost becoming for me, the sacrifice of driveability, and fuel economy is well behind the importance of Safety.

I am also okay with the mid-sized SUV, such as a Q5 and the like, however whats the chances they can protect as well as an XC90, ML, Q7 let alone a Yukon XL, or 1/2 ton based SUV?

I've heard that the Lambda chassis from Gm is one of the safest non-truck platform SUV(s) that actually is reasonably affordable as well, with better mileage than the Yukon/Expedition/Armada trucks (but of course not built for payload or towing)

RealJimmyJames
11-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Aren't SUV's more likely to roll over in a single-vehicle incident?

ercchry
11-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Size doesn't make you safe... crumple zones > solid body on frame

Remember, anything that doesn't absorb the shock means your body will be absorbing it. Both times I was rear ended I was in a truck and it fucking sucked. The truck looked fine, but I sure didn't feel fine

It's given me traffic phobia... so my solution now is to own quick cars... can't hit me if you can't catch me. I'm always passing. A good offensive really is the best defensive. Gtfo of the way of the idiots and let them deal with themselves. This is also the mentality of long time motorcycle riders who have "seen it all". Much easier to be in a position of "control" than just mindlessly going with the flow. Also keeps you alert, which is key. Any ticket or accident I have been apart of has been when I have just casually been going with the flow.

The safest vehicle with the above in mind would have to be a fast volvo :D

Edit: I also think it is very important for our generation of car enthusiasts to do our best to raise a new generation of car enthusiasts... the children of today have 0 interest in driving, so many of them are making it to their 20s without even acquiring a learners license... if I had to blame it on something I would have to blame it on their parents buying boring af shitty domestic cuv's and suv's

TomcoPDR
11-20-2016, 01:42 PM
Few years ago in downtown, didn't a GTR t-bone a Mercedes SUV and flipped it on its side? I guess that'll confirm with ercchry's theory, get something low and quick.

r3ccOs
11-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Few years ago in downtown, didn't a GTR t-bone a Mercedes SUV and flipped it on its side? I guess that'll confirm with ercchry's theory, get something low and quick.

thing is, IIHS is typically based on tests which involves the vehicle's own weight and momentum at 25mph on frontal, overlap and pole...

surprisingly some cars I thought would be good "quick, safe and small" are like the A4 and BMW 3 series aren't that great.

Now take the same test against a truck or HD truck (let a lone a lifted one) and its game over.

Driving vigilantly is very important, no doubt, however two things that had me believe that bigger is better are the recent accidents:

Taxi: Prius V vs Escalade
Kia Optima vs even a basic Journey
Chevy 1500 vs corolla

You're not going to tell me Toyota (outside of the old corolla) or Kia is building really much safer vehicles than any other in the same sized category (again crumple zones, airbag placements, anti-wiplash seats)
however when being at by a larger vehicle at a high rate of speed, has yielded fatal in the above cases.

jdmXSI
11-20-2016, 02:39 PM
If you asked me this a year ago, i probably wouldnt of cared too much. Since i was involved in a near headbon collision last December in a MINI. Although it faired pretty well against a Jeep Wrangler, I kind of changed what i look for in a vehicle. Still needs to be fun to drive but also has to have that element of safety. I find most German luxury fit quiite well into this category.

revelations
11-20-2016, 03:32 PM
Statistically speaking you are far more likely to be involved in a rear-ender or a single vehicle accident (eg roll over) if you have a truck/SUV - than a violent head on or 90 degree collision.

Driving around in a 3-4 ton vehicle, JUST IN CASE, will cause a greater chance of one of the two above scenarios.

If you want to protect your family, make sure you have good winter tires, teach the wife to not text and drive and to pay attention to her surroundings.

You also cant buy enough metal to reasonably protect your family from a semi thats being driving by an inattentive driver (see this all the time).

J-hop
11-20-2016, 03:59 PM
I'd say my view has slightly changed. I got rid of a project car after seeing how it crumpled like a tin can in side impacts.

That said I'm not overly concerned in Calgary. I know everyone harps on the lifted sled deck equipped duramax diesels but I actually don't often see them in accidents.

I didnt feel any safer in my old truck than I do in my car. Especially in terms of maneuverability in hairy situations.

Minimalist
11-20-2016, 04:27 PM
Use mass transit. Don't drive your own vehicle after 8 PM. Newer the vehicle, the safer. Live downtown.

Easier to move to Vancouver.

corsvette
11-20-2016, 04:45 PM
We had a GMC Acadia, a Ford F150 rear ended it hard writing it off. Took the impact very well, both rear doors still opened fine. I'll post up a picture, he hit pretty hard....

We replaced it with a Yukon Denali. Really enjoy the extra space and not a whole lot worse on fuel. My Wife feels much safer in the big SUV, especially with all the pickups on the road and highway driving we do.

RealJimmyJames
11-20-2016, 04:59 PM
The vehicle sustaining little damage is actually a poor indicator of occupant safety. Crumpling is GOOD.

r3ccOs
11-20-2016, 09:38 PM
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/vehicle-size-and-weight/qanda

guess this answers my questions

TomcoPDR
11-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/vehicle-size-and-weight/qanda

guess this answers my questions

Nicely done, good link. I've got the same pondering as you, drive the full-size truck or DD sedan. Both has their pros/cons. If only there'd be a one vehicle fits all solution (doubt it)

From your description, maybe a mid-size SUV (4runner, GM Acadia) would fit your needs? Though if it were the choices of mid to full size sedans over "compact SUV", I'd take the sedan. I'm not liking the recent years of compact SUV's (HRV, Buick Encore) stuff.

Xtrema
11-20-2016, 10:32 PM
You can't beat law of physic but

h-K_PMMijVo

It's not a big of a deal as you think.

And bigger isn't always better when manufacturer cheap out.

FzxiTZcIyUE

This only happens to 2015 F150 Extended Cab, they added bracing in 2016 after this poor show.

AndyL
11-20-2016, 11:48 PM
Lifted? That ain't lifted... Nor does it have the tires that accompany.

Out in my world a bro truck vs a sedan - anything above the steering column is turned into small pieces.

But there's a lot of 2 lane highway in my world... there's a lot less 100km/h with inches separating in the city...

OneGreasyHobo
11-21-2016, 01:48 AM
I generally drive away from things that are bigger then me. Less rock chips that way to.

Just aim for the pedestrians not the bro-lifted truck.

r3ccOs
11-21-2016, 03:57 PM
why don't they make the excursion anymore? Everyone need a diesel 7 seater

max_boost
11-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by OneGreasyHobo
I generally drive away from things that are bigger then me. Less rock chips that way to.

Just aim for the pedestrians not the bro-lifted truck. + I also try to avoid peak hour traffic and defensive as fk. trust no one on the roads lol