PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Rear View Cameras - 2018 May

jwslam
11-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Lets mandate more tools so that more inept people can drive

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rear-view-cameras-transport-canada-1.3829460
Transport Canada says new cars and small trucks will have to be equipped with rear-view camera systems starting in May 2018.

The new regulations have been formally posted in the Canada Gazette for a 75-day comment period.

The department says it's a safety measure because children, disabled persons, the elderly and others are vulnerable to back-up mishaps.

It estimates that such accidents killed 27 people and injured more than 1,500 from 2004 to 2009.

The new requirement applies to new light vehicles, including passenger cars, light trucks, three-wheelers and small vans and buses.

"This helps children be seen and provides Canadians with one of the best safety technology systems to reduce back-over collisions," Transport Minister Marc Garneau said in a statement.

The United States made a similar announcement in 2014, with a 2018 deadline for compliance.

"The objective of this proposal is to align the Canadian and United States safety regulations, to provide Canadians with the same level of protection under the law related to back-over crashes offered to residents of the United States and to satisfy vehicle manufacturers' call to eliminate regulatory differences between Canada and the United States," Transport Canada said.

RealJimmyJames
11-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Yeah, fuck giving tools to drivers, let's take away ABS, cruise control, power brakes, radial tires and while we are at it, windscreens.
:thumbsup:

03ozwhip
11-21-2016, 08:47 PM
I love my rear view camera in my truck, I use it all the time. my bmw doesn't have one but I wish it did. it doesn't make drivers inept, just complacent.

firebane
11-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Geezus just creating another round of idiotic drivers and teaching people even more to be disconnected from their vehicles and well creating people who use a vehicle as just that.

revelations
11-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Im actually for this tech - I will have it in all my vehicles installed aftermarket. Much better visibility than the mirror or turning around and more precise parallel parking.

relyt92
11-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Backup camera is awesome, not sure why people are against it. Makes getting into tight spots so much better.

btimbit
11-21-2016, 09:09 PM
I just love it for hooking up a trailer. Still not used to it for backing up, other than gauging how close I am to something. Other than that I still rely on my mirrors.

and I think that's the point. It's not supposed to replace using your mirrors, just gives you another tool to use

firebane
11-21-2016, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
I just love it for hooking up a trailer. Still not used to it for backing up, other than gauging how close I am to something. Other than that I still rely on my mirrors.

and I think that's the point. It's not supposed to replace using your mirrors, just gives you another tool to use

Let's be honest we know that will not happen and side swipe accidents will go up.

jwslam
11-21-2016, 09:22 PM

This. I'm not saying it causes drivers to be inept, I'm saying it allows inept drivers to stare at their screen while backing up, and have no clue that there is a kid next to their front end that they'll swing right into.

HomespunLobster
11-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Love the back up cam on the truck. I lost most of my spacial awareness of the length of my truck with it though. Used to be able to park a long box within inches of something, but with the camera I can get within an inch.
Also great for lining up hitches

The_Rural_Juror
11-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Yeah, fuck giving tools to drivers, let's take away ABS, cruise control, power brakes, radial tires and while we are at it, windscreens.

Don't you dare take away my windscreen. Where else am I going to hang my CD collection.

BokCh0y
11-21-2016, 09:32 PM
No probs with me about backup cams, I have two young Asian male drivers in my family so this definitely helps :rofl:

max_boost
11-21-2016, 10:07 PM
one time i got boxed in and it was the backup camera that got me out of the spot. i support it.

zieg
11-21-2016, 10:08 PM
Call me old school but I turn around and look behind me. Maybe they need a forward-facing camera with the screen on the steering wheel so you can see while you text?

Xtrema
11-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Whatever, they are just falling in line with NHSTA

relyt92
11-21-2016, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by zieg
Call me old school but I turn around and look behind me. Maybe they need a forward-facing camera with the screen on the steering wheel so you can see while you text? Looking back doesn't tell you as much as a camera when you've only got inches behind you, or are trying to get as close to something as you can.

BokCh0y
11-21-2016, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by zieg
Call me old school but I turn around and look behind me. Maybe they need a forward-facing camera with the screen on the steering wheel so you can see while you text?

I look backwards too when backing up, but the reverse camera shows me exactly how much space i have left, so there's no mis-calculations and i can maximize my space remaining. Especially helps for parallel parking.

jacky4566
11-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Does this mean super cars can dump the rear window? weight savings bro!

EF9 Sedan
11-21-2016, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

I look backwards too when backing up, but the reverse camera shows me exactly how much space i have left, so there's no mis-calculations and i can maximize my space remaining. Especially helps for parallel parking.

Inzane
11-21-2016, 11:59 PM
Pick your battles.

I've no problem with rear view cameras.

Things like RADAR guided cruise control.... That's another matter entirely.

killramos
11-22-2016, 08:54 AM
All this does is provide drivers with one extra piece of information to use when maneuvering their vehicles in tight spaces.

Not sure how you can argue against having more information, its not like anyone is forcing you to use it. Just for the manufacturer to include it.

Personally I think my next car will have one of those surround camera systems, those look awesome.

The_Rural_Juror
11-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Inzane
Pick your battles.

I've no problem with rear view cameras.

Things like RADAR guided cruise control.... That's another matter entirely.

I have no issues with radar guided cruise control. Much better than the human guided version.

Aleks
11-22-2016, 09:06 AM
This is a good thing, even if it prevents one child getting run over by someone backing out of their driveway, it's worth it.

Next step I hope they make rear daytime running lights mandatory OR make all lights come on with ignition. Toyota, Honda, Lexus, etc have worked a major design flaw in their vehicles by making the dash light up independent of headlight/taillight control.

/end rant :burnout:

bjstare
11-22-2016, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

This. I'm not saying it causes drivers to be inept, I'm saying it allows inept drivers to stare at their screen while backing up, and have no clue that there is a kid next to their front end that they'll swing right into.

Oh come on. If someone is going to ignore the kid next to the front end that they'll swing into, there's a higher chance they'll do that without a camera. If they have a camera it makes it easier for the to see behind the vehicle, thus making it easier for them to check other areas as well (not having to concentrate as hard to see what's behind them).

I'm all for this. Adding nannies may in some cases breed inept drivers, but I think this problem really lies with/can be fixed through more rigorous licensing processes. In the meantime though, might as well give all the shitty drivers out there who bought their licenses all the help they can get :dunno:

/rant

Xtrema
11-22-2016, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

A good driver will look at all info available. A bad driver is a bad driver regardless of tech. Tech just help them along.

It's like ABS where people need to learn pumping the brakes. Now almost nobody need to know how to pump.

Buster
11-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

A good driver will look at all info available. A bad driver is a bad driver regardless of tech. Tech just help them along.

It's like ABS where people need to learn pumping the brakes. Now almost nobody need to know how to pump.

Pump the brakes?

I think ABS was invented for you. lol

rx7_turbo2
11-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Next step I hope they make rear daytime running lights mandatory OR make all lights come on with ignition. Toyota, Honda, Lexus, etc have worked a major design flaw in their vehicles by making the dash light up independent of headlight/taillight control.
THIS!!!

The number of vehicles driving around at night and in thick fog without tail lights is staggering. How on earth this isn't something that's been addressed is beyond me.

I have no issue with mandatory backup cameras. Truth is I very rarely use mine, but when in a tight spot it's a nice tool to have.

rage2
11-22-2016, 09:38 AM
Backup cameras have twice the visibility of a rear view mirror. I don't know why people are complaining. You can't see a kid standing behind your vehicle if they're below the rear window but with a backup camera, it would be fully visible.

After driving for the last 5 or 6 years with backup cameras on my cars, backing up in a car without one feels fucking sketch.

BerserkerCatSplat
11-22-2016, 09:48 AM
No complaints from me, backup cameras are great. Lots of vehicles have a high rear deck/parcel shelf so normal rearwards visibility sucks, if there was a small child standing behind our sedan there's no way in hell I'd be able to see them via normal means. Plus, backup cameras are tits for hooking up to a trailer solo.

mzdspd
11-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

THIS!!!

The number of vehicles driving around at night and in thick fog without tail lights is staggering. How on earth this isn't something that's been addressed is beyond me.

I have no issue with mandatory backup cameras. Truth is I very rarely use mine, but when in a tight spot it's a nice tool to have.

So just about every vehicle has auto lights.. But a lot of the manufacturers have the option to disable it.. So if you disable it, it should pop up on your dash and say turn on your lights. You have a light sensor that tells your vehicle to turn on your lights when in auto mode.

Or it could just be like GM and auto lights cannot be disabled (unless in park or e brake on). To me that makes the most sense, I do not see a scenario where the auto lights have to be disabled when driving. And wipers on should mean lights on (just like GM does).

Swank
11-22-2016, 10:17 AM
I'm just glad they're making the end of single DIN stock head units official. 7" screens for everyone :clap:

bjstare
11-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Buster

Pump the brakes?

I think ABS was invented for you. lol

:rofl: beat me to it.

Feruk
11-22-2016, 11:58 AM
So this issue kills 5.4 people per year Canada-wide? Let's get the busy bodies on it! :guns:

max_boost
11-22-2016, 11:59 AM
isn't it (backup cam) standard on quite a few cars now? even the base model impreza has it

FraserB
11-22-2016, 12:35 PM
They should put a section into the driving tests that mandate that everyone needs to be able to back into a parking stall using only their side and rear view mirrors. After you can do that, use your cameras to your heart's content.

Would also like to see a lot more emphasis being put onto backing into parking instead of nose in, much safer when leaving.

botox
11-22-2016, 12:55 PM
I don't see this being a big deal. I've been driving a lot of rentals in the last few years most of which were base models and I would say 90% of them had backup cameras. So the companies are already doing it. I can turn mine off so I'll be doing that when teaching my daughter how to drive. Definitely great for tight parking spots.

ZenOps
11-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Real men don't need cameras.

They don't need mirrors or windows either, real men drive using the force. Close your eyes and use the force Luke!

Inzane
11-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
I have no issues with radar guided cruise control. Much better than the human guided version.

Do you not use a radar detector?

Some (maybe all, not sure) of those systems spew K-band. Very annoying.

suntan
11-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Transport Canada is considering banning permanently lit dashes.

suntan
11-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Whatever, they are just falling in line with NHSTA Nailed it.

rx7_turbo2
11-22-2016, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by mzdspd
So just about every vehicle has auto lights.. But a lot of the manufacturers have the option to disable it.. So if you disable it, it should pop up on your dash and say turn on your lights. You have a light sensor that tells your vehicle to turn on your lights when in auto mode.

The "auto" lights are precisely the issue. Auto gives drivers a sense of set it and forget it. My company vehicle is a newer Ford Escape, the fog can be as thick as pea soup and it won't throw the tail lights on. My buddy's Mirano same thing, it needs to be the dead of night for the Mirano to flip the tail lights on. It makes zero sense.

btimbit
11-22-2016, 04:30 PM
They need to get rid of light switches entirely. Car on = lights on, car off = lights off. Enough of this 'auto, but isn't really auto' crap

max_boost
11-22-2016, 04:53 PM
exterior lights always on. interior lights you can switch on/off. that's how it is on my car.

Xtrema
11-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

The "auto" lights are precisely the issue. Auto gives drivers a sense of set it and forget it. My company vehicle is a newer Ford Escape, the fog can be as thick as pea soup and it won't throw the tail lights on. My buddy's Mirano same thing, it needs to be the dead of night for the Mirano to flip the tail lights on. It makes zero sense.

Most auto light should have fog setting and you should hit the fog button during foggy situation, may be that's a German thing.

But nobody ever read their manual anyway.

jacky4566
11-22-2016, 06:03 PM
They need to get rid of light switches entirely. Car on = lights on, car off = lights off. Enough of this 'atuo, but isn't really auto' crap

I never really understood why this isnt a thing.

IMO your tail lights are more important so they should be always on.

And this would lead to why we have DRL? Is it really necessary to have 3 levels of headlight brightness?

rx7_turbo2
11-22-2016, 06:55 PM
But nobody ever read their manual anyway.
All the more reason (car on = lights on)

relyt92
11-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
exterior lights always on. interior lights you can switch on/off. that's how it is on my car. :werd: My G37 is the same, car is on, so are headlights and tail lights. I can control fog lights, dash lights and license plate lights.

msommers
11-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Backup cameras are the shit. So happy I have one, it has helped me so many times!