PDA

View Full Version : Console vs. PC Gaming - Pros / Cons?

brucebanner
11-25-2016, 03:04 PM
I've been a console gamer all of my life and generally play sports only these days. But I've been toying with the idea of getting into PC gaming, and doubling that pc as a media center. I have zero need for a new computer, as my laptop is still doing everything I need.

I do like the fact that a good gaming pc will out perform any console and likely for some time. And most games I play or would be interested in are offered accross all platforms.

So who here plays pc only or a mix of both?

Arguments for or against strictly pc gaming?

Thanks in advance for the help!

eglove
11-25-2016, 03:14 PM
IN BEFORE PC MASTER RACE HOPS IN THIS THREAD

NoPulp
11-25-2016, 03:17 PM
I did something similar last year. I got a tower for my photo editing that would also be good for gaming. I tried playing games on it for awhile, but just didn't like it. I ended up getting a console. If you can get the same game across all platforms I find it more enjoyable on console. I find console is more reliable and not hacked so much. The mods are fun on pc, but I find they're only fun temporarily and end up ruining the game. Games are way cheaper on pc though, Steam has great sales.

dirtsniffer
11-25-2016, 03:18 PM
i switched to pc because sony started charging for internet with the ps4, i don't regret it and havent looked back.

schocker
11-25-2016, 03:24 PM
I play mostly on PC but also Xbox One.

PC
Pros - Sky is the limit on graphics/performance, higher resolutions, different input methods/controllers, can choose a form factor, more and more diverse games, generally more deals on games, variety of store fronts, free online multiplayer
Cons - Cost if you want amazing performance/high end parts

Consoles
Pros - Easier to set up and go, easier for couch setups, exclusive games, more robust online services
Cons - Worse graphics/performance/resolutions, paid online services (You get included free games though generally), physical games often on sale eons before digital sales

Mitsu3000gt
11-25-2016, 03:26 PM
I like a bit of both.

Racing games --> Console. Easier to get out the racing seat, wheel, etc. in front of a big projector screen.

FPS games --> PC (I absolutely cannot understand how people can enjoy this on a console with the joysticks)

Most other games I prefer on PC as well, way more power, way better graphics, and I think just the types of games I like are more traditionally PC games. Nothing beats the keyboard/mouse combo for a lot of things (IMO).

You can build a 1080P PC gaming rig easily for under $1000 which is dirt cheap. If you're into 4K gaming that's a different story.

yellowsnow
11-25-2016, 03:54 PM
I like sitting on my couch in front of my TV. I can't find a comfortable position for my keyboard and mouse, so i prefer playing on a console with a controller.

killramos
11-25-2016, 03:57 PM
Been a pretty hardcore console fanboi for a while. Everything is simple and fun. I spend 500 bucks on a console what once every 5 years?

The rest of the setup ( tv sound system) is something I would own anyways for sports and movies.

I still like PC games, but I don't go out of my way to buy a gaming PC. I just adjust the settings on games to be playable on modest hardware. I spend maybe 5% of my gaming time on PC vs consoles.

I like sitting on my couch playing games with friends. Not so much of an option with PC.

I think the writing is on the wall with things like Xbox anywhere that the like between PC's and consoles is becoming more vague. That's a good thing imo.

I would personally have absolutely no problem paying way more than 3-500 bucks for a console with better capabilities. That's my hope for Xbox scorpio. I actually hope it's really expensive.

I find maintaining a gaming PC to be a pain in the ass, I just buy macs now which have managed to satisfy all my PC gaming needs. Whenever some friends start playing a PC game more often I have never had an issue using my macs to play along, maybe lower graphics settings but still just as fun. Most of my friends fall back to console pretty quickly.

Overall, play what your friends play. Because playing video games by yourself exclusively is pretty sad.

HiTempguy1
11-25-2016, 04:22 PM
All that needs to be said on the subject:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/19VTriLebu8/maxresdefault.jpg

But really, the big distinction is what games you want, and if you want the hassle of PC. Because PC is a f*&king hassle.

If you want to trade lower end graphics for less hassle, there you go.

Also, all console controllers can now be used with PC, so thats really not an issue. And are there actually any console exclusives these days??

jacky4566
11-25-2016, 04:26 PM
All glory to the PC MASTER RACE! Dirty peasants!

But seriously schocker has the best short answer. Although consoles are starting to get stupid with updates/patches/ upgrades. Should be disc in -> play.

schocker
11-25-2016, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by killramos
I find maintaining a gaming PC to be a pain in the ass, I just buy macs now which have managed to satisfy all my PC gaming needs. Whenever some friends start playing a PC game more often I have never had an issue using my macs to play along, maybe lower graphics settings but still just as fun.

https://media.giphy.com/media/aZ3LDBs1ExsE8/giphy.gif
I can send you tips on windows and gaming pcs if you like :rofl:
It is ezpz.

brucebanner
11-25-2016, 04:30 PM
I very much would still be using a controller for pc gaming and setting it up off of my home theater set up. So essentially the same set up as my xbone.

Killramos, I guess I'm a sad gamer since I pretty well exclusively play solo. Sports or campaign/story driven games.

I've never ever been a pc game player, so I don't really know how everything plays compared to console. I just enjoy the thought of how much better things would look.

Seems like staying with a xbox is probably the best choice but I'm definitely intrigued about the pc side of things.

schocker
11-25-2016, 04:35 PM
^^^Well you can always build a computer around the size as say an OG Xbox One with higher performance for not too much money and could run it on the TV with a controller and/or wireless keyboard etc.

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture

Using certain devices, steam link, nvidia shield, fire tv, old computer etc, you can stream to your tv from a pc elsewhere in your house.

A790
11-25-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm a huge PC gamer.

Have bought all the consoles, always wind up returning to PC.

Why?

Mods
I mean, sure they "can" be game ruining if you want them to be, but really, all a mod does is extend the functionality of the game.

I'm running graphics mods in GTA V that make it look like it's a brand new game. I also have a gun that shoots cars. Awesome!

Graphics
'Nuff said. You will need a badass PC to run at high resolutions/max graphics though.

Backwards compatibility
I just played a game of Total Annihilation. That game came out in 1997.

If there's one thing I hate, it's not being able to play a game I got on PS3 because that stupid thing is locked in the basement and will never be hooked up again.

Steam -> Download -> Install.

Sure, I've had a few games that gave me issues (like Mech Commander, also released in 1997), but a bit of Goolgling and we're back in business.

Game Slection
Beats the shit out of console, holy cow. Consoles have some fun games, sure, but nowhere near the breadth of PC. PC allows you to go niche. XBOX... not so much.

Couch gaming/etc.

Get a wireless controller and hook it up to your PC. Doneso.

Want to play it on TV? Either get steam link, or plug your PC into the TV. Doneso.

I can't even figure out how people can say things like "can't play with friends on your PC". Yes you can. Easily, too.

Crazyjoker77
11-25-2016, 05:31 PM
Consoles use to make sense up until the current generation(i have every console collecting dust). Now they are just craptastic computers with proprietary software/ui.

game selection alone should be enough to sway you to the PC world. There is easily 1000x the games for pc than there are for consoles. I personally really enjoy simulation/strategy games and they are near non-existent in the console world because they really utilize the CPU and consoles aren't very powerful in that department.

-games generally cost more for consoles
-pcs are pumping out 100+hz at 4k consoles are struggling to get 1080@60hz
-stuck to always using a controller(and a specific controller at that)
-consoles charge you a subscription to play online.
-no option to mod games/add asserts on consoles.
-so many free betas/alphas/and games are available to PC players.
-21x9 and 48x9(eyefinity) aspect ratios is a real game changer in immersion
-there is no worry about backwards comparability when a new console comes out.
-laptops make PC gaming Ultra portable.
-pc modding is a massive community just like cars there are some insane setups out there. Consoles might get a sticker slapped on them.
-Pcs can play multiple games at once.( i know this sounds crazy but I frequently find myself loading up city skylines on a seperate monitor while waiting for a group in wow)

Console exclusives are becoming less and less common because of the cost they have to charge to make up for the loss of profits from the PC segment.

Initial Price is about the only thing CURRENT consoles have going for them.

I also somehow have to justify to myself how I spent so much money on this...

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz315/Cmartin87/PC%20Office/20161028_173748_zpsjgzqg1ej.jpg

JustinL
11-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I like a bit of both.

Racing games --> Console. Easier to get out the racing seat, wheel, etc. in front of a big projector screen.

FPS games --> PC (I absolutely cannot understand how people can enjoy this on a console with the joysticks)

I'm the opposite of you! I like my racing games on the PC. I'm an iracing nut because I love the competition and hard core sim aspect; nothing on the console scratches that itch.

All my other games are couch games. I play with friends, or wife on the PS4 because it's way more social. I wish there were more couch co-op games available, but sadly most gamers now want to play on-line.

msommers
11-25-2016, 07:16 PM
I like consoles mostly, although the constant updates and relying to be online is annoying as hell. Why can't I just put a disc in and play the fucking thing!

killramos
11-25-2016, 07:22 PM
I can't remember the last time my console didn't automatically download all its updates in the middle of the night?

Also for current gen I haven't bought a single game on a disc.

I have built a gaming PC before, always something wrong with it and had to be restored every few months. I can't even stand my MS Surface turnkey tablet. Always something wrong with the drivers and it's never working when I want it to be. It just got old fast and I moved on from PC gaming.

Investing in a gaming rig seems like a big waste of money when I don't even play on the computer I have THAT often. Speaking of updates every time you turn the thing on...

The console that just arrived on my step from Amazon and plugged into my tv works just fine for me. Though I don't fault those who prefer pc's

Swank
11-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Seems like a constant struggle to make sure all the PC parts are compatible with new games. Graphics card too slow, new graphics card needs more power so need a new PSU. Processor too low end, upgrade that but won't fit in mobo, need to replace mobo, oh now old RAM won't work with it, need new RAM :banghead:

With consoles the first and last game made for it over 5+ years just works, no playing around with graphics settings either.

Xtrema
11-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Swank
Seems like a constant struggle to make sure all the PC parts are compatible with new games. Graphics card too slow, new graphics card needs more power so need a new PSU. Processor too low end, upgrade that but won't fit in mobo, need to replace mobo, oh now old RAM won't work with it, need new RAM :banghead:

With consoles the first and last game made for it over 5+ years just works, no playing around with graphics settings either.

So I just jumped back into PC gaming after 10 year of absence.

It's a lot better than before. As long as you stick with Steam/Origin, it's very user friendly in updated.

Hardware wise, almost everything has autoupdate notification on drivers and software. And as long as you don't overclock like crazy, it's quite stable.

It get crazy when you get into community mods.

The only difference for me is do you prefer to be on a couch playing on a 75" TV and console or sitting straight in front of a 34" screen while the room slowly heat up by the PC.

That said, PC gaming will continue to be a niche for enthusiasts.

Forsale
11-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Crazyjoker77
to myself how I spent so much money on this...

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz315/Cmartin87/PC%20Office/20161028_173748_zpsjgzqg1ej.jpg [/B]

Wow nice! what monitor mount is that?

schocker
11-28-2016, 01:38 PM

The scalability of computer games allows them to run on more computers than ever. With the minimal CPU gains seen of late, a midrange PC also lasts for a pretty long time. My 5+ yr old computer could still run games very well and that was just a midrange i5. I just felt like building something new. Games also do a pretty good job of auto-choosing graphical settings though and additional software like the Nvidia control panel can set this also based on your specs. Computers are more efficient as time goes on also so my current computer has less power requirements than my last build. The GTX 970 I have had a TDP of 145W and the new 1070 which is way more powerful is only 150W. My i5 2500k had a TDP of 95w while my i7 6700k has 91W. Everything is pretty ezpz now compared to back in the day.

Crazyjoker77
11-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Forsale

Wow nice! what monitor mount is that?

The bottom is just the stock stand for a acer predator.

The two upper are wall mounted with

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CZCIOGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its full motion articulation and makes moving them around. Its also modular and can be configured to almost any screen config. Has desk mounts as well.

PC MASTER RACE
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz315/Cmartin87/PC%20Office/20161122_133932_zpsabqcyamy.jpg

Comparing PCs to consoles is about the equivalent of comparing a amish horse and buggy to a mac truck...

Swank
11-28-2016, 04:02 PM
I want to like PC gaming more, I really do. Why have 2 devices when one should be able to do it all? I have a mid range PC that I built about 3 years ago (i5-3570k CPU, R7 260X 2GB GPU, 16GB RAM, 500w PSU, intel SSD) and I can't even run games like Dead Rising 2, Watch Dogs, or Just Cause 2 without it crashing every hour or so. Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider work remarkably well. The crash reports usually take me to forums where 20 other guys are having the same problem but never get a resolution. My drivers are very up to date. So I deal with the crashing rather than start gambling on replacing components one at a time, not knowing which one is causing the problem. I can't even dream of running anything like Forza Horizon 3 or Watch Dogs 2, and where is Red Dead Redemption for PC dammit, haha.

I know, you can get a dud console just as easily (RROD anyone?), maybe my real problem is I'm so jelly of Crazyjoker77's set up :D

schocker
11-28-2016, 04:54 PM
^^^ You should post what the error is and someone here can probably figure it out. Sounds like it could be something with temps. since it is after a while of gaming though not all games. Your computer should definitely be able to play those games.

Recca168
11-28-2016, 08:35 PM
It kinda depends on the game. Sports games and RPGs I generally play on console cause I rather sit on the couch for those. FPSs and RTS games I find you have to play on a PC. Can't stand those games on a console.

I was hoping the whole Steam Machine thing would take off. The new consoles are pretty much low end PCs anyway now. Then I could just buy games off steam and they'd just work on a PC or "console". I did build one though. The Linux game selection is terrible so it pretty much only use it to run Kodi

schocker
11-29-2016, 09:10 AM
^^^Have you tried the steam controller at all? I heard it can work ok with slower RTS probably something like CIV with the track pad. Haven't tried it myself though.

For those that also want to play on their tv, devices like a steam link or nvidia shield allow you to stream from your gaming pc to your TV. That way you can play on either setup.

civic_stylez
11-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I like a bit of both.

Most other games I prefer on PC as well, way more power, way better graphics, and I think just the types of games I like are more traditionally PC games. Nothing beats the keyboard/mouse combo for a lot of things (IMO).

You can build a 1080P PC gaming rig easily for under $1000 which is dirt cheap. If you're into 4K gaming that's a different story.

THIS X 10000

I have tried so many times to play FPS on consoles and i just cant get the hang of it. I need the mouse!!! LOL. But i couldnt imagine playing madden or NHL on a PC. Agreed on all points.

n1zm0
12-01-2016, 11:03 AM
I want to like PC gaming more, I really do. Why have 2 devices when one should be able to do it all? I have a mid range PC that I built about 3 years ago (i5-3570k CPU, R7 260X 2GB GPU, 16GB RAM, 500w PSU, intel SSD) and I can't even run games like Dead Rising 2, Watch Dogs, or Just Cause 2 without it crashing every hour or so. Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider work remarkably well. The crash reports usually take me to forums where 20 other guys are having the same problem but never get a resolution. My drivers are very up to date. So I deal with the crashing rather than start gambling on replacing components one at a time, not knowing which one is causing the problem.

You should post the particular errors or things you noticed when a crash occurs as Schocker said, before my recent midlife upgrade (16GB RAM and a 1070 GTX) I could run all those games and more like BF1 and my specs were worse and older than yours to a certain degree. I'm going to take a stab and guess it's a cooling issue, either more efficient CPU cooling or additional cooling hardware or both because the rest of the specs would run a game like JC2 no problem albeit not full graphics but it would run, my computer even ran JC3 with lesser specs that your rig with a 2gb 7850. Or get a temp monitor program like HWMonitor and see what happens under heavy load.

Originally posted by civic_stylez
I have tried so many times to play FPS on consoles and i just cant get the hang of it. I need the mouse!!!

+1 on this, I can't do shooters on consoles unless I have a mouse based controller like a Fragfx or a xim3 adapter (which to some people is considered cheating but idgaf), the exception being if the shooter is purely a console issue game like RDR and Uncharted.

I still always prefer PC over console and will stick with the former primarily usually until a new gen console reaches its mid to end service life (3.5-4 years old around there), since that's when most of the devs are getting familiar with the console's particulars and quirks and good games start getting more traction, imo at least.

Sasuke_Kensai
12-01-2016, 11:36 AM
I'm in the PC camp for the most part, mainly due to the type of games I like. Just talking about graphics in this post - technically the graphics on PC are better but I find they can be 'colder' or more artificial seeming, possibly because the screen is so close.

In terms of overall visuals, I sometimes perceive graphics on a console to be more natural or immersive (based only on a few anecdotes). I think it's because everything is more muddied on the console, and when the artists for games get a lot of bells and whistles to play with they don't necessarily know how to put it all together to make a seamless scene. For example I find that sometimes there are really weird contrasts with shadows and light in a PC game.

Perhaps another contributor is that the designers for PC games need to make all the graphics to be tweakable, so there are going to be a lot of settings that don't work well together since perhaps they didn't test every combination. Whereas for a console they can tweak everything from the start for just one setup. I usually just pump up everything as much as I'm able to and leave it at that. That said, I enjoyed the same game (Assassin's Creed series) much more on the computer screen.

Swank
12-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
You should post the particular errors or things you noticed when a crash occurs as Schocker said... Will do, hopefully test it out this weekend to get the error messages again. My graphics card fan spins at max as well as the Catalyst Control Centre reports 100% GPU usage while gaming which doesn't seem right to me. Those games shouldn't be making it work at full capacity, right? :dunno:

A790
12-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Will do, hopefully test it out this weekend to get the error messages again. My graphics card fan spins at max as well as the Catalyst Control Centre reports 100% GPU usage while gaming which doesn't seem right to me. Those games shouldn't be making it work at full capacity, right? :dunno:
You have MSI afterburner installed?

What are graphic temps?

beecue
12-01-2016, 09:24 PM
I like the console environment more. Most of my friends play on consoles and I just like sitting on the couch to play games. I sit in a chair all day so I don't want to continue with that at home.

I built a gaming PC a couple of years ago but never really play anything on it. I didn't grow up playing PC so I suck with m/kb.

A790
12-01-2016, 10:00 PM
People need to get over the "play on couch with a controller" thing.

Connect to the PC to your TV via HDMI cable.

Connect your Xbox or PS4 controller to your PC.

Play on couch... with better graphics, online, mods, etc.

Gman.45
12-01-2016, 10:13 PM
Agree with Mits3000gt.

I started playing PC games with Quake2, played with some of the best clans/teams out there, then moved into Counterstrike when it game out and played that and Rainbow6. Then I got away from gaming for a bit, then back into it with simulations, flight/racing/etc. I play DCS and a couple world war 2 aviation online games, and have 2 very new and fast PCs, I build a new one every year, latest is a i7 6850 with 2 1080s sli, 950 m.2 drives, etc. ROG Gsync 27 and 34" monitors, and I collect HOTAS joysticks and throttles and have a dozen of these, 1000$s in just the controllers invested for the games.

VR - I have 2 Rifts and 1 Vive, they can be great with some games, not so much with others. All the flight sims I use the VR sets.

Consoles. I tried to like them. I truly did. I bought both the Sony PS4 and the Xbox One, and played through a few of the big games for each. Then I sold them both. Nothing wrong with them, it's just the gaming is more competitive on PC to me. FPS, I'll put any CS Go pro up against any console FPS pro, and the PC Mouse/KB guy is going to destroy the console guy just due to the nature and precision of the controllers. This doesn't mean that consoles are bad, they just aren't up to the level and competition of PC yet IMO. You just can't be as accurate or precise at higher speed with a console controller as you can at a desk with a KB and Mouse.

Swank
12-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by A790

You have MSI afterburner installed?

What are graphic temps? I don't have afterburner installed, maybe I'll give that a go. Ran a quick test last night:

Normal GPU temp 30C, fan speed 0%
During game play, GPU temp 68C, fan speed 41%, so I was def mistaken about it going full speed. Those seem to be fine numbers.

Of course it wouldn't crash when I need it to, but going through event viewer just about every time any game crashes it's a dll error related to the game, or it's executable. I'll have to have BlueScreenView on hand next time it BSODs while gaming, that's much less often.

msommers
12-02-2016, 11:03 AM
People need to get over the "play on couch with a controller" thing.

Connect to the PC to your TV via HDMI cable.

Connect your Xbox or PS4 controller to your PC.

Play on couch... with better graphics, online, mods, etc.

I REALLY want to....The thing is I don't want the living room looking like this...

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/Ondoval/Tech/HTPC1.jpg

I'm honestly open to suggestions on what could be done.

After some looking, Silverstone makes some really nice cases. This is really impressive actually, I could build something pretty darn nice...

Fuck :rofl:

Crazyjoker77
12-02-2016, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by msommers

I REALLY want to....The thing is I don't want the living room looking like this...

After some looking, Silverstone makes some really nice cases. This is really impressive actually, I could build something pretty darn nice...

That is a full tower case and its defiantly not needed to create a console killer.

there are lots of micro ITX cases that are actually smaller than an xbox, such as the fractal design Node 202

There is always the option of getting a gaming laptop and hooking it up to the tv. This years laptops are more impressive than ever and using desktop components instead of mobile versions.

TVs are still way behind in technology compared to proper pc monitors though. Even playing a console on a gaming monitor is a pretty big difference.
-higher refresh rates
-higher resolution
-better response time
-lower input lag
-better aspect ratios

msommers
12-02-2016, 01:55 PM
I'm not a serious gamer by any means and my plasma I believe tops out at 1080p resolution. But being able to have a gaming computer and serious media/audio center on the shelf would be nice.

Looking at building a PC and I get up to $1,500 pretty quick (with games is my biggest concern the GPU?). Might as well keep my XB1 and Squeezebox for now...

Maybe when the next gen stuff comes out I can get a bunch of stuff on clearance.

A790
12-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Cosmos II case?

Me likey!

msommers
12-02-2016, 02:18 PM
For anyone with deep pockets, Steiger Dynamics makes custom-to-order living room machines that are decked right out.

For the latest tech and build options (w/o software and extras like keyboard/mouse/TV), these things can be built for a jaw-dropping $16,500USD! :eek:

brucebanner
12-02-2016, 02:25 PM
I'm not a serious gamer by any means and my plasma I believe tops out at 1080p resolution. But being able to have a gaming computer and serious media/audio center on the shelf would be nice.

Basically the whole reason for me starting the thread.

Lots of great info in here though.

beecue
12-02-2016, 06:33 PM
[B]

The problem for me would be that I would then need another device to store all my HDDs because these cases are too small.

I wonder if the steam link works well. I have the nvidia shield but I haven't really tried it out since I don't have a wireless m/k.

Then there is the issue of not being able to play cross-platform. I tried Gears of War 4 on PC last night and it worked pretty well with my friends on Xbox. Not all games are like this and the advantage would be ridiculous for good PC players. I can't even play with the m/k and I noticed a big difference. They are testing the cross play this weekend in public playlists.

The graphics are way better too. I only have a GTX 960 and I was running GOW with over 100fps. The decrease in performance on consoles doesn't really bother me though.

Gman.45
12-02-2016, 11:54 PM
I connect to my 4k TV with one of my gaming PCs for a few games, I'll play StarCraft 2 and some driving games on the TV sometimes. THere are several great keyboard/mouse couch units out there now, allows you to couch sit and have a mini desk on your lap. The Roccat Sova, or Corsair Lapdog are both OK, I use the Corsair as a have a KB that fits it - I prefer my Ducky Shine 5, but Corsair's MX Blue switch KBs are pretty decent.

You know, when consoles (Sony/Xbox) decide to make a decent keyboard and mouse combo on a similar lapboard, they could seriously threaten PC gaming in this regard. Yes, I know there are a few uncommon deals like this, but I'm talking about a well built, marketed, and named Keyboard/Mouse for both the PS/# and Xbox/#. I'd probably buy whatever new consoles come out if there was such an animal, and games that supported it.

Recca168
12-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by schocker
^^^Have you tried the steam controller at all? I heard it can work ok with slower RTS probably something like CIV with the track pad. Haven't tried it myself though.

For those that also want to play on their tv, devices like a steam link or nvidia shield allow you to stream from your gaming pc to your TV. That way you can play on either setup.

Haven't tried it either. Didn't want to spend the $60 on a controller that I'd rarely use. I can't imagine it working that well. Probably wouldn't be as precise as using a mouse.

I tried the streaming feature though. Not really a fan. It definitely lags a bit.

killramos
12-03-2016, 12:55 PM
Has anyone on here ever checked out the Razer turret?

Seems like a pretty cool way to do some couch gaming with a PC and a TV.

http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-controllers/razer-turret

If it integrated with xbox one i would give it a shot personally, though i can't play shooters on PC to save my life and actually prefer controllers for some god awful reason.

eglove
12-03-2016, 01:07 PM
Has anyone on here ever checked out the Razer turret?

Seems like a pretty cool way to do some couch gaming with a PC and a TV.

http://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-controllers/razer-turret

If it integrated with xbox one i would give it a shot personally, though i can't play shooters on PC to save my life and actually prefer controllers for some god awful reason.

It's terrible, bought one and promptly returned it the same day.

killramos
12-03-2016, 01:36 PM
Wow! Fair enough then.

A790
12-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by eglove

It's terrible, bought one and promptly returned it the same day.
Details?

eglove
12-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Details?

Mousepad is so small you have to do "flicks" to get the low dpi mouse to go any where. The mouse would fall off if you were on any sort of incline. (Leaned back on the couch or leaning forward) Keyboard keys felt like they were glued to the board. Almost no travel not a very good tactile feel to them. It was just crammed. Kinda hard to use.

n1zm0
12-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Gman.45
You know, when consoles (Sony/Xbox) decide to make a decent keyboard and mouse combo on a similar lapboard, they could seriously threaten PC gaming in this regard. Yes, I know there are a few uncommon deals like this, but I'm talking about a well built, marketed, and named Keyboard/Mouse for both the PS/# and Xbox/#. I'd probably buy whatever new consoles come out if there was such an animal, and games that supported it.

Will never ever happen neither will cross platform (PC to consoles) for most shooter games, adapters like XIM4/TACPro do this though, albeit with much backlash from console controller users. I can say at least for myself using an adapter on the last gen consoles for shooters, it really isn't fair vs the run of the mill console player.

http://gizmodo.com/5593116/were-pc-gamers-too-good-for-microsofts-cross-platform-gaming-project

OTown
12-06-2016, 03:05 PM
I think its all about how much you want to spend at the end of the day. If you only have a few hundred bucks, then get a console. If you have 600+ get a PC.

Theres a reason why #PCMASTERRACE is a thing.

With a PC you can do it pretty much all (other than the console exclusive games - but you make up for PC exclusive games). You can couch game with a controller, you can surf the internet, you can mod the shit out of games, you can use it as a workstation or photoshopping, you can use it for media player or stream, FPS+RPGS+strat games are amazing on PC... i mean the list goes on. But at the end of the day if you cant afford it then you will be happy with a console either way.

Gman.45
12-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Agreed Otown. You can build a 1060 equipped gaming PC for well under $1000 CDN now, that will play pretty much everything in 1080p on either a monitor or TV. You can run multiple sources for output, monitor(s), monitor(s) + a TV, plus there are the various Steam/nVidia doo dads/controllers/screens/units you can use to remotely stream to other sources from your gaming desk too now. It's a great time to get back into PC gaming, or to start up for the first time. There are few things a console can do that a PC can't, and the PC gives you so many other options. I do realize there are a few great games that are console specific, great to enough to warrant the 3 or 4 hundred bucks the console costs. I understand the convenience of consoles as well, a bit less work and time to set up and such, but the PC has really closed that gap in recent years.

I ran a gaming website based in Calgary back in the late 90s up to the dot.com crash, which killed our 15 million dollar IPO. We had 1 million uniques/month, 250,000 registered users/forum members, 50 million hits/month, and were Nucleus's 2nd biggest colocated customer, with only a porn conglomerate of many sites eating more bandwidth than our site (it was a military/simulation gaming website). Anyhow, I bring this up, as I was told back then by our Microsoft gaming rep we spoke to and did our deals with for banner adds, that they had this coded named "xbox" thing, that would be a decent PC in a console case, and that PC gaming would DIE. That was the big line in those days, consoles would kill the PC gaming market. It looked for a period of time that they were correct, but, like many things, the tide changed on that one, and PC gaming is IMO as strong as it has ever been. I also remember when Steam/Valve told us all about their fantastic idea of distributing games via the internet. I laughed, and told them I thought that was crazy, that nobody would spend the same $ and not get a disc, box, manual, etc, and be happy about it. Bad call on that one, as Steam has, for better or worse, been a strong component for keeping PC gaming going strong.

The games are pretty fantastic these days as well. Eve online, still is mind boggling to me, in the detail, scope, and participation. I play mainly WW2 online flight sims, DCS online jet/helo sims as well, but still play CS Go, Starcraft 2, and pretty much everything else that comes along. There are a lot of great new things coming in the near future too, Star Citizen/Sqd 42, many others.

VR has made a huge impact too, even though it's sort of flatlined a bit, the potential for future VR games and tech is bright. When they are able to make higher res lenses and headsets, it'll be a must have IMO. I have several sets, Rifts, Vives, and the Razer open source OSVR. A great new first person VR shooter, "Onward" for the Vive, is a great showcase of what FPS games can and will evolve and adapt into, in short order too. All the flight sims, DCS, Aces High, War Thunder, and so forth, take great advantage of the Rift, which is superior for in cockpit games than the Vive, largely by virtue of its drivers/etc being more mature and easier for developers to work with.

Internet connections have made great leaps too. We had a T1 and later a T3 back in the days of my gaming website, and my at home connex were the best you could buy back then, but sucked compared to what we get now. Pings, d/l rates, consistent solid connections, are pretty common for reasonable prices now. I have the same grandfathered 250 plan Rage 2 has with Shaw, in both my Calgary and Sask homes, and have the Saktel fiber Infinite 260 down 60 up connection, which has no bandwidth cap, and amazingly low ping times to nearly all Canadian and US gaming servers I use across a swath of different games.

Peripherals are fantastic now too. I collect flight sim HOTAS sets, and mechanical keyboards as well. I have 19 HOTAS from various makers/years, from the TM Warthog, to all the custom VKB sticks and pedals, and 5 different rudder pedal custom sets as well. I have several of the original IBM M buckling spring mech keyboards, a couple Unicomps which are the decendents of those, and a good dozen various Corsair, Roccat, Ducky Shines (I use the 5 as my main primary gaming KB, cherry blue, but I have a brown too). Various gaming mice, TrackIR headsets, various audio options such as different types of mics, DACs, headsets, headPHONES - the options are endless, which is a great thing. Again, a great time to be a PC gamer, so many options, and interesting as well as functional new perifs and other gadgets here, and more coming.

Last bit - stores. I've been a loyal MemEx customer since they had just the shop on McLoed near door to the great Indian food restaurant. Even when I spend most of my year at CFB Moose Jaw, I always, always order from MemEx - the same store - and have my picked parts assembled, tested, and shipped from there. They have NEVER, ever let me down, and have been very accomdating and generous over the years. I have built dozens of machines through them, right from my first AMD P200 with the 3dfx 4mb card, all the way up to my recent Broadwell E 6850 with 2 1080/SLI, and pretty much loaded, and my 27" ROG Swifts and my 34" ROG Swift LCDs. Great company, I've only needed to use the warranty once, and they honored it immediately. I'm sure there are other options out there for buying PC gaming equipment, this is just another feature of the great times we're in for PC gamers, there are lots of good, solid companies to deal with.

Last bit - anyone else fondly remember when Future Shop/etc would have 2 or 3 isles of shelves with 3 or 4 rows, FILLED with PC boxed games for sale? I'm talking like 50 feet x 3 rows of 3 shelves deep of stuff for sale. I sort of miss that, now you go into Staples or whatever and the PC gaming sales area is about 5 feet wide by 3 shelves deep, if that. Such has the internet and online fast distribution done for the retail gaming market - again, at the time when Valve/Steam was introducing that, I'd never have thought it would completely supplant retail gaming sales the way it did. StarCraft 2's first initial release in 2010 was the last boxed game I bought

RickDaTuner
12-08-2016, 02:52 PM
I think my biggest factor between of/console is power consumtion

I can run a 60" Plasma TV with a PS4, 6 hours day, and see maybe a $15-20 the power bill/month
But running a PC/43" LED Monitor, with a 750w power supply using about 450w-500w of that costs me anywhere between $10-$15 on 4-6hrs/day of use. Wouldn't be uncommon to get $300-$400 power bills, living alone in medium sized townhouse.

4K gaming is great, and PCs can get you there for sub a $1k setup, but the graphics don't really make use of the resolution (IMO anyway), things still look very cartoony, or you get repetative looking textures that dull the whole experience.

But depending on the game I still use either.

msommers
12-08-2016, 02:53 PM
If I could get a small-box solution that can run games on a 60" at 4K with high FPS reliably for years, large storage capacity for games and music, play blu rays..I'd definitely move away from the Xbox One and just use the controller.

If this can be done for $1000 out the door I'd probably do it right now. But I very quickly get up to $1,700+ using Parts Picker which to me is a little nuts for gaming, playing music and watching movies/Netflix.

I'm sure it can be done for cheaper but I've never been one to build a PC not using quality hardware, which doesn't equate to cutting-edge tech, imo. For how long my PC has lasted me over the years (built with the help of Beyonders here "Are Desktops Dead?,") it's probably paid for itself by now.

taemo
12-14-2016, 08:24 PM
finally have a little more extra time to play games for the next couple of months, anyone have input regarding the following?

1. upgrade my GTX 960 4GB SC to GTX 1060 6GB SC?
going to play Overwatch, BF1, Civ6, South Park on 1440p screen

2. what's the general consensus with mechanical keyboards? do they really help?
I've been using a wireless MS keyboard for over 6 years and never had any issues, battery doesn't want to die either :rofl:

A790
12-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by taemo
finally have a little more extra time to play games for the next couple of months, anyone have input regarding the following?

1. upgrade my GTX 960 4GB SC to GTX 1060 6GB SC?
going to play Overwatch, BF1, Civ6, South Park on 1440p screen

2. what's the general consensus with mechanical keyboards? do they really help?
I've been using a wireless MS keyboard for over 6 years and never had any issues, battery doesn't want to die either :rofl:

The upgrade to the 1060 is significant (http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060).

What's the rest of your system look like? The 1060, assuming it's backed up with the right CPU/RAM combo, should do the job you're asking it to :)

RE: mechanical keyboards, I switched from a membrane-style keyboard to a Corsair mechanical about six months ago and haven't looked back. I type faster, it's satisfying to use, and comes with cool LED lights (ok, "cool" may not be the right word...)

taemo
12-14-2016, 08:41 PM

The upgrade to the 1060 is significant (http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960-vs-GeForce-GTX-1060).

What's the rest of your system look like? The 1060, assuming it's backed up with the right CPU/RAM combo, should do the job you're asking it to :)

RE: mechanical keyboards, I switched from a membrane-style keyboard to a Corsair mechanical about six months ago and haven't looked back. I type faster, it's satisfying to use, and comes with cool LED lights (ok, "cool" may not be the right word...)

Ahh just what i was worried to hear, have a GTX 1060 and mech keyboard on my amazon shopping cart :rofl:

Rig is a miniITX i5-4460, 16GB, Win10 Pro

BigMass
12-14-2016, 08:53 PM
If I could get a small-box solution that can run games on a 60" at 4K with high FPS reliably for years, large storage capacity for games and music, play blu rays..I'd definitely move away from the Xbox One and just use the controller.

If this can be done for $1000 out the door I'd probably do it right now. But I very quickly get up to $1,700+ using Parts Picker which to me is a little nuts for gaming, playing music and watching movies/Netflix.

I'm sure it can be done for cheaper but I've never been one to build a PC not using quality hardware, which doesn't equate to cutting-edge tech, imo. For how long my PC has lasted me over the years (built with the help of Beyonders here "Are Desktops Dead?,") it's probably paid for itself by now.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1070-windows-10-home

It's tiny and runs cool and quiet. About the size of a router.

Price is gonna hurt because it's new but it's about the best form factor you can buy with these specs.

They make a watercooled one with a 1080 but I don't even want to know the price on that so I didn't even bother linking to it lol.

A790
12-14-2016, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by taemo

Ahh just what i was worried to hear, have a GTX 1060 and mech keyboard on my amazon shopping cart :rofl:

Rig is a miniITX i5-4460, 16GB, Win10 Pro
Why not 1070? ;) ;)

And congrats- enjoy your new setup!

taemo
12-14-2016, 11:05 PM

Why not 1070? ;) ;)

And congrats- enjoy your new setup!

never considered the 1070 as i figured the 1060 was the natural successor for my 960.
also i just looked at the price and too expensive for my taste lol, i usually budget my videocards in the 300-400 range.

i wonder if i should wait for boxing day as the 960 is still sufficient for my gaming tbh

edit: also i dont see a 1070 that will fit on my mini case :(

pheoxs
12-14-2016, 11:15 PM
1070 is the shit. <3 mine. Was debating a 1080 originally but too much $$$

WhippWhapp
12-15-2016, 06:40 AM
My cousin was a ps4 player with an older (i7/GTX 680) gaming pc.

ESO ran like double the frame rate on his pc, even though the video card was pretty ancient. I helped him piece together a rig with a 1080 in it, and he's never looked back.

He sold his ps4 a few weeks ago and couldn't be any happier.

killramos
12-15-2016, 08:04 AM
Since i have been doing some laptop shopping i have started comparing GPU performance numbers.

Realized the compute performance of the GPU in my 2011 iMac is about the equivalent to the one in an XB1 :rofl: Also not that far off from a GTX 960m.

Nothing else to add.

A790
12-15-2016, 10:17 AM
Since i have been doing some laptop shopping i have started comparing GPU performance numbers.

Realized the compute performance of the GPU in my 2011 iMac is about the equivalent to the one in an XB1 :rofl: Also not that far off from a GTX 960m.

Nothing else to add.
How does it do in-game?

msommers
12-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/magnus-en1070-windows-10-home

It's tiny and runs cool and quiet. About the size of a router.

Price is gonna hurt because it's new but it's about the best form factor you can buy with these specs.

They make a watercooled one with a 1080 but I don't even want to know the price on that so I didn't even bother linking to it lol.

I might honestly be blind but I can't see prices for these lol

killramos
12-15-2016, 12:07 PM

How does it do in-game?

Really solid, esp when I do my win7 dual-boot. I usually just run things on mac side though as the performance difference isn't that substantial.

Radeon 6970m, Core i7-2600 3.4 Ghz, 12GB Ram. Its actually a pretty beastly machine. Love it. Bought it for CAD and Rendering when i was playing around with that in school.

All it needs is an SSD to wake it up a bit but fuck is the retrofit complicated

:rofl:

BigMass
12-18-2016, 11:11 AM

I might honestly be blind but I can't see prices for these lol

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16856173139

You provide your own drive and ram. At this point wait to see if any boxing day sales. But because it's still relatively new, it might get sold out quick. 1070 version looks sold out now. Could also check NCIX or other places. Memoryexpress decided to go with the Gigabyte Brix versions for some reason which are terrible compared to the Zotac

carson blocks
12-19-2016, 05:19 PM
I got a chance to try out the PSVR the other day and was very impressed. I think picking a VR platform (Oculus vs PSVR etc) will drive my next console vs. pc decision. I was 1000% on the gaming PC side, then find out the 980m in my newer gaming laptop is borderline to run Oculus.

schocker
12-19-2016, 05:44 PM
I tried PSVR last week and it was OK, but for the total cost, I was pretty underwhelmed compared to the Vive. Graphics were pretty bad and the resolution was also bad (Drive Club). It is comfortable though.

carson blocks
12-19-2016, 06:19 PM
I bought a Gear to mess with and it makes me feel sick, where I didn't feel that on the PSVR. I'm thinking of going with Rift as I'm a lazy couch gamer, not a 'cordon off a VR space' gamer. PSVR isn't that bad when you consider you can get a PS4 pro and PSVR cheaper than a gaming PC that will run Oculus or Vive. I just want to be done with consoles though.

schocker
12-19-2016, 06:24 PM
The PSVR made me a lil sick until I put in the headphones. If I had to get one myself I would get a rift as I don't care about room scale and would only really use it for racing/flying games etc. I imagine even with the PS4 Pro though the graphics would still not be great along with the lower res display in the PSVR itself. I do realize though I am in the small subset who has a computer that would work well with vive/rift.

pheoxs
12-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by schocker
The PSVR made me a lil sick until I put in the headphones. If I had to get one myself I would get a rift as I don't care about room scale and would only really use it for racing/flying games etc. I imagine even with the PS4 Pro though the graphics would still not be great along with the lower res display in the PSVR itself. I do realize though I am in the small subset who has a computer that would work well with vive/rift.

From reading online the complaints in the reddit vr places aren't as much about the PSVR graphics as its sensors can be fairly jittery / accidental drift.

For anyone interested Bestbuy.ca has the Rift for 100$ off. It says you get a 100$ GC but when you add it to your cart it just discounts 100$ instead of a GC.