PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Fidel Castro

spikerS
11-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Good and bad for Cuba, but what a life he lived!

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/fidel-castro-cuba%C3%A2%E2%82%AC-tm-s-revolutionary-leader-dies-aged-90/ar-AAkLVdh

Fidel Castro has died at the age of 90, Cuban state television announced on Saturday, ending an era for the country and Latin America.

The revolutionary icon, one of the world’s best-known and most controversial leaders, survived countless US assassination attempts and premature obituaries, but in the end proved mortal after suffering a long battle with illness.

The announcement was long expected, given the former president’s age and health problems, but when it came it was still a shock: the comandante – a figurehead for armed struggle across the developing world – was no more. It was news that friends and foes had long dreaded and yearned for respectively.

The Communist party and state apparatus has prepared for this moment since July 2006 when Castro underwent emergency intestinal surgery and ceded power to his brother, Raúl, who remains in charge.

Fidel wrote occasional columns for the party paper, Granma, and made very occasional public appearances – most recently at the 2016 Communist party congress – but otherwise remained invisible.

Confirmation of his death will trigger celebrations in Miami, the centre of Cuba’s exile community, and mourning among leftwing admirers around the world. For many Cubans on the island who grew up in his shadow, simultaneously respecting and resenting him, it will be a moment of profound ambivalence.

His greatest legacy is free healthcare and education, which have given Cuba some of the region’s best human development statistics. But he is also responsible for the central planning blunders and stifling government controls that – along with the US embargo – have strangled the economy, leaving most Cubans scrabbling for decent food and desperate for better living standards.

The man who famously declared “history will absolve me” leaves a divided legacy. Older Cubans who remember brutal times under Batista tend to emphasise the revolution’s accomplishments. Younger Cubans are more likely to rail against gerontocracy, repression and lost opportunity. But even they refer to Castro by the more intimate name of Fidel.

jampack
11-26-2016, 10:03 AM
Saw this news last night.. RIP. He has lived for a long time after so many assassination attempts.

rage2
11-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Time to play some COD Black Ops.

D'z Nutz
11-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Holy crap, I thought he died years ago.

HuMz
11-26-2016, 10:17 AM
About time.

HiTempguy1
11-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by HuMz
About time.

Exactly. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Gestalt
11-26-2016, 11:29 AM
Finally. Now maybe Cuba can join the 20th century. :rofl:

Sentry
11-26-2016, 12:32 PM
CIA did it

rage2
11-26-2016, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Exactly. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Originally posted by Gestalt
Finally. Now maybe Cuba can join the 20th century. :rofl:
Come on now. Just because you don't believe in his ideologies doesn't mean that everyone shares that sentiment. I'm sure there are a lot of Cubans that would prefer to be continued to be plugged into the Matrix.

spikerS
11-26-2016, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Come on now. Just because you don't believe in his ideologies doesn't mean that everyone shares that sentiment. I'm sure there are a lot of Cubans that would prefer to be continued to be plugged into the Matrix.

is it really the Matrix though? I mean, he gained power through a military coup, but some of his social implementations like free health care and free education (post secondary included) are some of the things we are championing for here in Canada and the USA. Granted, there are a lot of bad things that happened under his watch too.

Things might have been a lot more socially evolved without the USA imposed sanctions on Cuba.

Now, don't take this as I love Fidel, but I do like the idea of communism in it's pure form, it's just too bad it doesn't work in the real world...

rx7_turbo2
11-26-2016, 02:20 PM
How much influence did he have over the last 5-10 years? There was constant reports of him being incapacitated from one illness or another. The idea that now with him gone things will finally change suggests he's been right at the forefront pulling the strings up until his death, is that true? I'd say the US lifting sanctions and lightening embargoes will have far more influence over the country than Castro's death.

HiTempguy1
11-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

Now, don't take this as I love Fidel, but I do like the idea of communism in it's pure form, it's just too bad it doesn't work in the real world...

:nut:

Castro killed thousands, MILLIONS left the country, and there is abject poverty there. At best, without the sanctions, Cuba would have been maybe in a similiar place to where Russia is now (unlikely, due to no oil).

Cuba had a choice to make, the USA was well within its rights and responsibilities to its citizens to crack down on Cuba as it did. Nothing stopped the other 6.5billion people and their respective countries in the world from working with Cuba. Nobody wanted to.

Speaking of which, thanks Trudeau you fucking piece of shit muppet:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/fidel-castro-dies-justin-trudeau-issues-statement-much-hilarity-ensues-trudeaueulogies

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23trudeaueulogies&src=typd

Fuck him and his father. :guns:

spikerS
11-26-2016, 03:53 PM

:nut:

Castro killed thousands, MILLIONS left the country, and there is abject poverty there. At best, without the sanctions, Cuba would have been maybe in a similiar place to where Russia is now (unlikely, due to no oil).

no, I think you mis-understood me. I am not supporting Castro at all, however, communism in it's PURE form I would support, it is just never achievable.

HiTempguy1
11-26-2016, 04:15 PM

no, I think you mis-understood me. I am not supporting Castro at all, however, communism in it's PURE form I would support, it is just never achievable.

I wouldn't. A society based around the concept of everyone being exactly the same and exactly worthy of the same treatment in life (read; not much) with zero merit base? That sounds bloody fucking awful. And it has been for anyone living in a communist society.

Buster
11-26-2016, 05:10 PM

you can't have communism without violence towards the citizens.

Do you support that?

Gestalt
11-26-2016, 05:15 PM
Meritocracy

zhao
11-26-2016, 05:20 PM
http://s.quickmeme.com/img/12/125dfbbb1bdf15ba7f2b4461641d7903902eca47d82a45dba756579b0164cc3d.jpg

Why support it then? I don't support communism in it's pure form at all, because it is a pipe dream, and the mere thought that it could exist in that form is dangerous IMO.

Communism is just a terrible ideology that IMO acts as a basic intelligence test for asking people if they think it could work or not. It's like living in a house where there is no consequences for anything. Instantly someone decides not to work or clean up after themselves or contribute in any way because everyone else will support them, and under communism that's perfectly a-ok. Then another, and another decide to follow suite because if that guy can do it, me too. Then the others get pissed off and say fuck this, i'm not doing anything either if THEY aren't. Then the last guy sees his standard of living about to become zero, so he starts boot stomping those 2's face in for not wanting to pick up the slack, at least until they get back to doing enough to 'make it work', and declares that his job from now on.

All the animals are equal, except some are more equal than others.

kaput
11-26-2016, 06:15 PM

BigMass
11-26-2016, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by kaput

How embarrassing.

What's embarrassing is Americans that can't go on a vacation to Cuba. My father has been to Cuba at least five times and loves the culture and people. Regardless of how horrible Castro was, the people are what makes the country and we should always be extending a message of good faith to those people. The US has too much power in thanks to their great scientists, and too little thought in thanks to their primitive politicians.

Buster
11-26-2016, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

What's embarrassing is Americans that can't go on a vacation to Cuba. My father has been to Cuba at least five times and loves the culture and people. Regardless of how horrible Castro was, the people are what makes the country and we should always be extending a message of good faith to those people. The US has too much power in thanks to their great scientists, and too little thought in thanks to their primitive politicians.

Do you know any Cubans? Cuban ex-pats?

I can assure you they wouldn't look at complimenting Castro as a sign that you are their friend.

BigMass
11-26-2016, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Buster

Do you know any Cubans? Cuban ex-pats?

I can assure you they wouldn't look at complimenting Trudeau as a sign that you are their friend.
I can assure you that Cubans respect Canadian policy far more than American. As in Cubans that actually live in Cuba. BTW F'K Castro. Has nothing to do with him in 2017

Buster
11-26-2016, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

I can assure you that Cubans respect Canadian policy far more than American. As in Cubans that actually live in Cuba.

Cubans appreciate that Canadians can spend their money there and they can feed their family. But they have no illusions about who is actually causing the pain.

Edit: and I meant Castro, not Trudeau, ninja edit.

BigMass
11-26-2016, 11:09 PM

Cubans appreciate that Canadians can spend their money there and they can feed their family. But they have no illusions about who is actually causing the pain.

Edit: and I meant Castro, not Trudeau, ninja edit.

I don't support Castro and his policies. However I see a humanitarian reason to reach out to Cuba regardless of the policies it's government condones. The Cuban people are great people and have a great culture and shouldn't not suffer at the hands of American sanctions due to Castro. Canada realized that, America did not. We were right, they were not.

Gestalt
11-27-2016, 11:56 AM
While it's true most Cubans here and abroad absolutely love Castro and are in tears.

That is not a reflection of his actions. While much of the economic problems can be blamed directly on the Embargo, they are no excuse for Castro's humanitarian record, like murdering gays.

So people love Castro like any people seem to love their dictator. Stalin was loved.

Sugarphreak
11-27-2016, 12:02 PM

rx7_turbo2
11-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I can't believe that Trudeau went on record for Canada with that statement. His family seems to have some sort of personal bond with Castro, but he should know better than to try and pretend that Canada is ok with the human rights bull shit that goes on down there.

Fucking disgusting
He's taking a fair amount of heat over his statement. Since becoming Prime Minister I've asked myself a number of times if Trudeau meant to say what he did or if he's just an idiot? He had to know his gleaming endorsement of Castro's rule would bring significant backlash, but went ahead with it anyways? Or is he an idiot who didn't grasp the scope of the issue?

HiTempguy1
11-27-2016, 12:41 PM
Liberal arrogance At its finest. Just starting to slip back into their old ways.

suntan
11-27-2016, 12:43 PM
Most people don't study any history, so I'm sure it's come to a surprise on some people here that Castro murdered homosexuals and all sorts of other people.

tirebob
11-27-2016, 01:27 PM

you can't have communism without violence towards the citizens.

Do you support that? I would think he means the pure ideal of everyone contributes equally and shares equally in the rewards, which really is what the ideal was intended to be. The problem is that ideal is impossible with humans as for some of us, we have ambition and drive and want to see reward for our actions, and for others, they want to live off of others hard work while contributing nothing.

While the intentions are good, the results are a complete failure, as is well proven.

01RedDX
11-27-2016, 04:30 PM

Aaaaaron
11-27-2016, 07:01 PM
He's a very polarizing figure. Castro was by no means a saint, but he kept Cuba running no worse than any other Caribbean nation.

I don't get all the flack Trudeau is getting for the Castro comment. Lots of world leaders admired and cited Castro as a influence on them. Mandela was a really good friend of Castro.

mazdavirgin
11-27-2016, 07:18 PM
:dunno: You guys all seem to have very very short memories. Harper praised someone just as scummy during his term yet not a peep?

“On behalf of all Canadians, Laureen and I offer our sincere condolences to the family of King Abdullah bin Abdulaziz and the people of Saudi Arabia.

"King Abdullah was recognized as a strong proponent of peace in the Middle East. He also undertook a range of important economic, social, education, health, and infrastructure initiatives in his country.

"I had the pleasure of meeting King Abdullah in Toronto when Canada hosted the G-20 and found him to be passionate about his country, development and the global economy. "We join the people of Saudi Arabia in mourning his passing.”

VS

“It is with deep sorrow that I learned today of the death of Cuba’s longest serving President.

“Fidel Castro was a larger than life leader who served his people for almost half a century. A legendary revolutionary and orator, Mr. Castro made significant improvements to the education and healthcare of his island nation.

“While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for “el Comandante”.

“I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away. It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raúl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba.

“On behalf of all Canadians, Sophie and I offer our deepest condolences to the family, friends and many, many supporters of Mr. Castro. We join the people of Cuba today in mourning the loss of this remarkable leader.”

Heads of state are gonna politic?

Just like Harper was OK going to China and playing nice with a goverment who is responsible for all sorts of genocide and atrocities commited against their own people... It's world politics... Calling out Trudeau on this is just straight hypocrisy.

suntan
11-27-2016, 07:24 PM
They were both wrong.

mazdavirgin
11-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by suntan
They were both wrong.

See I can respect that. The issue I have is the blind partisanship some people seem to partake in which smacks of American style politics. Railing on Trudeau yet not having done the same thing with Harper is frankly just morally inconsistent.

ZenOps
11-28-2016, 06:12 AM
Cuba was demonized by the US media because of the nukes pointed at the US. Nobody likes nukes pointed or dropped on them, by accident or otherwise.

That being said, the US has a nuke pointed at every country on the planet, including pointed at Canada.

suntan
11-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

See I can respect that. The issue I have is the blind partisanship some people seem to partake in which smacks of American style politics. Railing on Trudeau yet not having done the same thing with Harper is frankly just morally inconsistent. One thing though is that many people don't know that SA is a human rights shithole.

I got slammed on CP for saying that SA executes a person a day and they use what amounts to slave labour. No one believed me.

Brent.ff
11-28-2016, 12:27 PM
In before ZenOps..
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2280272/bizarre-theory-fidel-castro-is-canadian-pm-justin-trudeaus-father-emerges-online-after-internet-sleuths-discover-some-mysterious-coincidences-and-similarities/

Dear old Dad?!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyVORVIVQAEAfCs.jpg

killramos
11-28-2016, 12:45 PM
That is my favorite thing i have seen all month.

HiTempguy1
11-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by killramos
That is my favorite thing i have seen all month.

You totally know she banged Fidel. Hell, Pierre probably watched from the closet.

killramos
11-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Oh i know, that it's so plausible is the funniest part.

suntan
11-28-2016, 01:22 PM
Watched from the closet? It was a three-way.

sputnik
11-28-2016, 01:24 PM
I personally find it funny that many of the people pretending to be angry and Justin Trudeau's comments about Castro are the same people that wouldn't think twice about hitting up a Cuban all-inclusive resort.

killramos
11-28-2016, 01:38 PM
I am not sure how my love for Mojitos makes Fidel Castro any less of a bastard.

But ok.

Do you really agree with the politics of every place you ever visit?

sputnik
11-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Do you really agree with the politics of every place you ever visit?

There is one thing to visit a politically contentious country to learn more about the culture and the people who live within its borders.

It is another to go to exploit cheap local labour for a low-budget beach holiday and then to further pander the staff with "tips" of personal hygiene products and US dollar bills like you are the second coming of Mother Theresa.

The reason your mojito is cheap and your food is mediocre is because Fidel Castro was a bastard.

ickyflex
11-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

There is one thing to visit a politically contentious country to learn more about the culture and the people who live within its borders.

It is another to go to exploit cheap local labour for a low-budget beach holiday and then to further pander the staff with "tips" of personal hygiene products and US dollar bills like you are the second coming of Mother Theresa.

The reason your mojito is cheap and your food is mediocre is because Fidel Castro was a bastard.

There are many cheap destinations (Hawaii, European Cities outside the major cities, Asia). The argument seems a little off

suntan
11-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Hawaii is cheap?? Fuck I'm not a baller.

killramos
11-28-2016, 02:03 PM

Did you just assume my beach holidays were low budget? *Triggered*

Going on vacation to Cuba is no more exploitative than buying a TV made in China, or Nikes made in Indonesia.

Get over yourself.

sputnik
11-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Hawaii is certainly no Bora Bora but it is still considerably more expensive than Cuba.

Last time I checked there weren't any $700 all inclusive one week holidays in Hawaii available like you can get for Cuba.

The reason most people go to Cuba is that it is one of the cheapest vacations available.

HiTempguy1
11-28-2016, 02:14 PM

Actually, it really is.

Because if they didn't, the Cubans would still be broke-ass peasants with the boot heel of Castro and his regime on their necks.

So in this "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario, clearly going on vacation there is good for both Cubans and the vacationers with extremely little downside relative to their current situation.

Canadians didn't force the current plight of Cubans on them, Castro did.

Buster
11-28-2016, 02:27 PM
I went to an all inclusive in Cuba once. It didn't even occur to me to feel guilty. But I long ago came to terms with the fact that my lifestyle is built on a few layers of near-slavery around the world. (By "come to terms" I mean it's awesome being born in the rich society).

Anyway, Cuba sucked. It's like the Walmart of all-inclusive. Literally every amenity that I would want was absent: hotels were beat-up, food was horrendous, etc.

bjstare
11-28-2016, 02:36 PM

Anyway, Cuba sucked. It's like the Walmart of all-inclusive. Literally every amenity that I would want was absent: hotels were beat-up, food was horrendous, etc.

All-inclusives (in general) are like the Walmart of vacations, I probably would not have enjoyed that trip to Cuba.

suntan
11-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Hey but on the bright side every other guest was suffering equally.

btimbit
11-28-2016, 07:40 PM
Trudeau: "Fidel always seemed like a chill guy"

Slightly paraphrasing h

HiTempguy1
11-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
Trudeau: "Fidel always seemed like a chill guy"

Slightly paraphrasing h

:rofl:

I hope you tweeted that with the @trudeaueulogies lol

bjstare
11-29-2016, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by ickyflex

There are many cheap destinations (Hawaii, European Cities outside the major cities, Asia). The argument seems a little off

Hawaii = cheap destination. Good one. :rofl:

phreezee
11-29-2016, 09:26 AM

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Trudeau-Castro.jpg

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Trudeau-Castro-2.png

http://cdn.mtlblog.com/uploads/2015/10/pierrejustin1.jpg

We have a winner!

Buster
11-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

All-inclusives (in general) are like the Walmart of vacations, I probably would not have enjoyed that trip to Cuba.

That's the only all-inclusive I have ever been on. Maybe they are all shitty?

01RedDX
11-29-2016, 10:18 AM

bjstare
11-29-2016, 10:41 AM

That's the only all-inclusive I have ever been on. Maybe they are all shitty?

I've been to one in mexico that was not cheap (compared to others), and according to other people it was much nicer than others. I thought it was a dump. The food was horrible, and it was one of the things guests raved about. I just don't get it.

Some people are just happy if they're drunk and stuffed with (mediocre) food. All inclusives are perfect for those people.

suntan
11-29-2016, 10:42 AM

That's the only all-inclusive I have ever been on. Maybe they are all shitty? No, it's just Cuba. My co-owner went there too and he said the same things you said. He didn't stay at an all-inclusive though, but he did say the food no matter where he went was, at best, bland.

Now in Mexico, I had a buddy that stayed at an all-inclusive that had hard-liquor pipes to his room.

bjstare
11-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

Some people are just happy if they're drunk and stuffed with (mediocre) food. All inclusives are perfect for those people.

Now in Mexico, I had a buddy that stayed at an all-inclusive that had hard-liquor pipes to his room.

So, as I was saying....

rage2
11-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
We have a winner!
Castro was big pimpin' too.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/848839/fidel-castro-and-his-many-women

In 1959, just after seizing power, Castro had an affair with a young German woman, Marita Lorenz, who says the CIA hired her to assassinate him.

She lost her nerve, flushed her poison pills down the toilet, and ended up spending their rendez-vous at the Habana Hilton making love with him instead, she said in a 1993 interview in Vanity Fair.

Castro had a mysterious power over her from the day she met him as a wide-eyed 19-year-old, she said.
“When Fidel talks to you, he talks to you very close. He looks right in your eye,” Lorenz said, recounting how he immediately swept her off her feet.

“Nothing hit me as hard as this ever — like a ton of bricks. He didn’t let me completely undress. He was the sweetest, tenderest. I guess nobody ever forgets their first lover.”
That's some James Bond shit right there.

01RedDX
11-29-2016, 11:35 AM

Buster
11-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

There's a lot of difference between the many hundreds of all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, you don't always get what you pay for, but I would expect that people going to Cuba aren't doing it for the food.

Seriously, a round trip flight to the Caribbean plus a week's worth of lodging, food and alcohol for the price of a plane ticket to Sudbury. :nut:

Time is too valuable to waste on mediocre experiences. We only went because that was where our friends were going, and they wanted us to come along.

Buster
11-29-2016, 11:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/TNmg68g.jpg

suntan
11-29-2016, 12:08 PM
He's too much of a cuck to dictate.

SmAcKpOo
11-30-2016, 03:35 PM
http://magafeed.com/is-justin-trudeau-the-son-of-fidel-castro/

dirtsniffer
11-30-2016, 04:32 PM
dates don't line up for the trudeau - castro smash fest

sexualbanana
11-30-2016, 05:41 PM
There's no right or wrong way to interpret Castro's reign. But it just depends on what your perspective is.

He was villainized (rightly so) for the oppression and deaths that came from his decisions. But iconic international figures like Nelson Mandela have praised Castro for the support that Cuba has provided for them. Case in point, Cuba's intervention in Angola against American-supported South African troops. On the international aid front, Cuba has sent over 55,000 health workers to 66 different countries.

So while no doubt he has done horrific things as the Cuban leader, he has also done good things as well.

suntan
11-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Well shit Hitler was mostly an a-ok guy then.

HiTempguy1
11-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
There's no right or wrong way to interpret Castro's reign. But it just depends on what your perspective is.

Well shit Hitler was mostly an a-ok guy then.

:thumbsup:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyPEc5oUoAA2Uul.jpg

At least we now know how f*&king crazy some beyond members are.

mazdavirgin
11-30-2016, 06:17 PM
At least we now know how f*&king crazy some beyond members are.

No what we get out of this is that people fail to see nuances. You even aware of how shitty the previous American backed dictator was in Cuba before he was deposed by Castro? Sure that doesn't excuse Castro but there's no shortage of dictators who are comparatively worse and did far more harm to their own people.

Again why are people so pissed about Castro's eulogy but they don't give a shit Harper gave another monster a glowing eulogy? Ah yes because this is all being done with a political bent and not actually based on any logic or consistency.

You want to shit on Trudeau then don't forget to shit on Harper who did the exact same thing. Otherwise maybe take the nuanced sane view that these statements are just people playing world politics. Who gains through shitting on Castro in a eulogy when we have to still deal with his brother?

suntan
11-30-2016, 06:24 PM

No what we get out of this is that people fail to see nuances. You even aware of how shitty the previous American backed dictator was in Cuba before he was deposed by Castro? Sure that doesn't excuse Castro but there's no shortage of dictators who are comparatively worse and did far more harm to their own people.

Again why are people so pissed about Castro's eulogy but they don't give a shit Harper gave another monster a glowing eulogy? Ah yes because this is all being done with a political bent and not actually based on any logic or consistency.

You want to shit on Trudeau then don't forget to shit on Harper who did the exact same thing. Otherwise maybe take the nuanced sane view that these statements are just people playing world politics. Who gains through shitting on Castro in a eulogy when we have to still deal with his brother? Well you know Trudeau is supposed to be better than Harper. Or that's what people keep saying.

zhao
11-30-2016, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

He was villainized (rightly so) for the oppression and deaths that came from his decisions. But iconic international figures like Nelson Mandela have praised Castro for the support that Cuba has provided for them. Case in point, Cuba's intervention in Angola against American-supported South African troops. On the international aid front, Cuba has sent over 55,000 health workers to 66 different countries.

So while no doubt he has done horrific things as the Cuban leader, he has also done good things as well.

lay off the peanut butter, you're already nuttier than a squirrels lunch.

There is a correct way to interpret someone's reign, and if all the good they did is far overshadowed by the bad they did its pretty safe to call a spade a spade at that point. Castrol is not a good guy. Neither is che guevara. neither is stalin, hitler, or a nero.

I know you're probably overdosing on politically correct mental conditioning bullshit, but it really is still ok to say someone is a fucking toolshed and the world would be better off if on the day they were born the doctor did his best impression of spiking the football after scoring a touchdown with the little bundle of joy.

Buster
11-30-2016, 09:47 PM
I love the post-modern claptrap - "there are no objective facts, just analysis and opinion"

HiTempguy1
11-30-2016, 10:03 PM

You want to shit on Trudeau then don't forget to shit on Harper who did the exact same thing.

We're not talking about Harper at this point in time. Man, and here I thought HDS went out the window once he was gone, but apparently it still is sticking around. I guess Harper is our GW Bush :rofl:

ZenOps
12-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Yes, you do have to look comparatively. Was Mubarak all that bad compared to Morsi? Is being a puppet state of the USA any more or less or any different than being a puppet state of Britain or France?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/politics/donald-trump-north-korea-kim-jong-un/

While Canada may have had Fidel over for tea and biscuits, it looks like Trump is going to be neutral, or maybe even improved relations on North Korea.

dirtsniffer
12-01-2016, 08:48 AM
lol Trudeau supporters love to say 'harper did it to'. ya he did, and he got shit then too. I spent 2 seconds and found articles.

https://ricochet.media/en/529/why-the-harper-government-flatters-saudi-arabias-tyrants
http://globalnews.ca/news/1790499/saudi-king-abdullah-proponent-of-peace-human-rights-abuse-both/

So instead of asking why conservatives are blasting Trudeau when they didn't blast Harper, why not ask, 'why are we (liberals) not holding our leader to what we expected of the previous (conservative) leader?

mazdavirgin
12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
lol Trudeau supporters love to say 'harper did it to'. ya he did, and he got shit then too. I spent 2 seconds and found articles.

So instead of asking why conservatives are blasting Trudeau when they didn't blast Harper, why not ask, 'why are we (liberals) not holding our leader to what we expected of the previous (conservative) leader?

:facepalm: Because it's world politics. Who gains out of pissing off the next administration? Should the government have crapped all over Trump like Tom Mulclair wanted?

dirtsniffer
12-01-2016, 10:14 AM
? ? ?

What does that have to do with liberal hypocrisy?

suntan
12-01-2016, 10:56 AM

:facepalm: Because it's world politics. Who gains out of pissing off the next administration? Should the government have crapped all over Trump like Tom Mulclair wanted? An option is to say nothing about it all at, or at most a reserved statement.

HiTempguy1
12-01-2016, 01:03 PM
An option is to say nothing about it all at, or at most a reserved statement.

I'm just going to start using these whenever someone is being ridiculous.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/hitempguy/15319156_10155620874209552_2147032346084880887_n_zpsv4yxxw1y.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/SdVEL

suntan
12-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Yeah, there were lots of things he could have done other than polish a dead guy's knob.

HiTempguy1
12-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Yeah, there were lots of things he could have done other than polish a dead guy's knob.

I completely agree, which goes hand in hand with this article (and basically debunks any argument in favour of Castro, as they all are lies for the informed vs the uninformed liberals):

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/terry-glavin-grow-some-spine-liberals-democracy-needs-champions-not-apologists