PDA

View Full Version : CoC street light outage map

speedog
11-28-2016, 07:44 AM
CoC street light outage map - check on this map first (link (https://streetlightoutage.calgary.ca/)) before reporting a streetlight as being out to 311. Note that you have to zoom quite close in to see outages, only found out about this after I recently made a 311 report regarding a bunch of lights being down in one small area.

rage2
11-28-2016, 10:04 AM
In a related note, so happy with the conversion to LED streetlights. Pretty much LEDs everywhere now in most of the communities I drive through.

mr2mike
11-28-2016, 10:34 AM
I personally think it's a waste.
The glare off the LED lights is terrible, especially driving up for instance Shaganappi Tr hill by Nose Hill Park. It's also too bright, so your eyes are used to this high power light so your eyes don't adapt to the surrounding enviro. when there are dark spots or areas.

I give it 5 years and they'll be changing them out. This will be before they project pays out (in typical Calgary fashion).

"Because LED light is so concentrated and has high blue content, it can cause severe glare, resulting in pupillary constriction in the eyes. Blue light scatters more in the human eye than the longer wavelengths of yellow and red, and sufficient levels can damage the retina. This can cause problems seeing clearly for safe driving or walking at night." -CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/21/health/led-streetlights-ama/

Another article:
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/bright-idea-new-ottawa-street-lights-will-cause-more-light-pollution-physicist

Thaco
11-28-2016, 11:24 AM
^^^ everything is going LED, even some cars (MDX for example) have LED projectors, get used to it, its not going away.

Xtrema
11-28-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by rage2
In a related note, so happy with the conversion to LED streetlights. Pretty much LEDs everywhere now in most of the communities I drive through.

I like the light color but hated the coverage.

Driving thru it is now alternating between blindingly bright to total darkness. They need to have better coverage.

On the plus side, there is definitely less light pollution.

JustinMCS
11-28-2016, 11:39 AM
I hate that I see so many NEW LED streetlamps burnt out already or STROBING, or half of it working, like what the heck?

rage2
11-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I like the light color but hated the coverage.

Driving thru it is now alternating between blindingly bright to total darkness. They need to have better coverage.

On the plus side, there is definitely less light pollution.
I've heard this from others as well, but doing some comparisons on streets that were converted vs streets that weren't, the coverage looks to be pretty close. I believe it's actually an illusion because of lower light pollution, there's a lot less light higher off the ground at long distances, so it feels a lot darker.

I love being able to see things in color now at night while walking down a sidewalk.

Xtrema
11-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I love being able to see things in color now at night while walking down a sidewalk.

Seeing green grass at night was great bonus.

Originally posted by JustinMCS
I hate that I see so many NEW LED streetlamps burnt out already or STROBING, or half of it working, like what the heck?

Have seen 1 failed in my area within 2 months but pretty solid since. I bet there is probably still environmental seal issue. With carbon tax coming it, I'm sure even with higher failure rate, it'll probably still pay for itself.

Also seen some lights seem to operate at 4000K or 5000K or something and they have since switch out to something warmer in the mid 3000K range.

blindsight
11-28-2016, 01:30 PM

HomespunLobster
11-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
I personally think it's a waste.
The glare off the LED lights is terrible

The only glare I get is when the inside of my windows aren't clean. Maybe give them a good wiping

schurchill39
11-29-2016, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

There is one on Glenmore that goes over the river down by Deerfoot and it drives me crazzzzyyyy

zieg
11-29-2016, 09:00 AM
They aren't great for astronomy. The wavelength of light coming off these is closer to the wavelength you're trying to see when looking at deep space objects, so the standard light pollution filters don't do much to block them out. Even several kms out of the city, the sky glow will be a major issue.

Just goes to show you can never please everyone, lol.

mr2mike
11-29-2016, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
...driving up for instance Shaganappi Tr hill by Nose Hill Park. It's also too bright, so your eyes are used to this high power light so your eyes don't adapt to the surrounding enviro. when there are dark spots or areas.

Clearly others thought the same because they are all now changed back to the sodium vapor lights.

I wonder how many places in the city, they've changed back to the old. What a waste of man hours.

jacky4566
11-29-2016, 09:19 AM
mr2mike what are you on about? There is no way those LED bulbs cause more damage than the sun simply because of the spectrum emitted (which is also prevalent in sunlight). The referenced article is also from a journal titled Experimental Eye Research so your not instilling confidence here.

I would agree however, they are a smidge too bright. I like the nice white light but tone it down guys.

What would be neat is if they could do two levels of brightness triggered by a motion detector.