PDA

View Full Version : Winter warriors -post your setups

J-hop
11-28-2016, 03:45 PM
Won't sugar coat it, my commute kinda sucks! I've been commuting for about 2 months now, just under 50kms per day total. Really nice when it's warm but gets brutal when it's cold (that -8 day we had a week or two ago was killer!) Looking for some ideas for keeping warm and safe on my commute!!

Current gear:

Bike:
-Hybrid bike
-700x35 studded tires (just the cheap two row schwalbe studded tires from MEC)
-MEC bar mitts- these have been a great investment but looking to upgrade to the real bar mitts brand as they seem to offer more protection
-cygolite metro 700 lumens front light
- some random rear light
-pdw origami front and rear fenders

Clothing:
-Pearl Izumi lobster gloves
-MEC shoe covers
-craft top and bottom thermal under layers
- pearl izumi headband
- (MEC I think) face mask
- MEC windbreaker and cheap splash pants
(Obviously I don't wear all of this everyday)

Considering purchasing:
- heated socks (my feet freeze easily)
- good thermal tights instead of the splash pants (MEC brand???)
- good light thermal jacket (MEC brand???)

Post up what you use and any key items worth checking out. The bar mitts were by far the biggest change I've found so far and I would recommend them for sure.

blitz
11-29-2016, 04:42 PM
I'm not winter riding this year, but I did for the last 2 years.

Bike is a Specialized Tri-Cross disk, 700x30 Schwalbe studded. Bar mitts and a 1x9 setup.

I picked up some winter bibs, it's nice not to have any gaps around your waist added a thermal layer underneath when it got really cold and some raceface shorts overtop for modesty, lol.

I switched to a snowboarding helmet and goggles when it went below -10 ish.

One of the best investments I ever made was real winter footwear. Mavik crossmax SL winter shoes for mildly cold and 45 north wolvhammer for really cold temps. If you don't want to clip in, there are some way cheaper options just going with normal boots.

Then you should buy a fatbike since you've got all the other gear you need :D

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1552/24105599329_16ee16fc2c_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CJ8uRx)Ricoh GR (https://flic.kr/p/CJ8uRx) by Ryan Karr (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryankarr/), on Flickr

D'z Nutz
11-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Nothing too fancy for me.

Just a Kona Dr. Dew hybrid I picked up so my Jake doesn't get rusted out from the salt and moisture. Only thing I added to it to make it winter ready are fenders. I may get 700x35C Schwalbe studded tires depending on the paths get later on after it snows.

As for clothing, I've kept it pretty simple:
- nylon/polyester long sleeved shirt, hoodie on top, and a fleece jacket
- Under Armour compression tights and track pants
- clear sunglasses and knitted cap
- doubled up on gloves
- old runners

I'm sure it'll change once it gets colder, but so far it's been working cause I've been sweating like a pig once I get to work. Once that happens, I'll start using my snowboarding helmet, balaclava, gloves, and wool socks.

birdman86
11-29-2016, 09:49 PM
snip

figured it out myself

J-hop
11-29-2016, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by blitz
I'm not winter riding this year, but I did for the last 2 years.

Bike is a Specialized Tri-Cross disk, 700x30 Schwalbe studded. Bar mitts and a 1x9 setup.

I picked up some winter bibs, it's nice not to have any gaps around your waist added a thermal layer underneath when it got really cold and some raceface shorts overtop for modesty, lol.

I switched to a snowboarding helmet and goggles when it went below -10 ish.

One of the best investments I ever made was real winter footwear. Mavik crossmax SL winter shoes for mildly cold and 45 north wolvhammer for really cold temps. If you don't want to clip in, there are some way cheaper options just going with normal boots.

Then you should buy a fatbike since you've got all the other gear you need :D

Yea I really need to get on buying some winter footwear. I just use runners but even with double layered wool socks and the shoe covers I freeze by about 30 minutes in. Tomorrow is going to be decently cold too, missed the ride today so I guess I'll pay for it tomorrow.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Nothing too fancy for me.

Just a Kona Dr. Dew hybrid I picked up so my Jake doesn't get rusted out from the salt and moisture. Only thing I added to it to make it winter ready are fenders. I may get 700x35C Schwalbe studded tires depending on the paths get later on after it snows.

As for clothing, I've kept it pretty simple:
- nylon/polyester long sleeved shirt, hoodie on top, and a fleece jacket
- Under Armour compression tights and track pants
- clear sunglasses and knitted cap
- doubled up on gloves
- old runners

I'm sure it'll change once it gets colder, but so far it's been working cause I've been sweating like a pig once I get to work. Once that happens, I'll start using my snowboarding helmet, balaclava, gloves, and wool socks.

I'm riding the same, Kona dew. I really like it for just ripping around town.

I am almost looking forward to when it's cold all day. I've been finding I have to dress for two seasons almost. I'll be sweating buckets on the way home with all my gear on or have my backpack bulging with stuff.

D'z Nutz
11-29-2016, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
I'm riding the same, Kona dew. I really like it for just ripping around town.

Yeah I really like mine too. Mine's got disc brakes and it just cost me $225 off of Kijiji. It only needed a really good cleaning and that's it. I wanted one after I found an almost new Dew for my cousin the previous season.

I'm waiting for my trekking bar to arrive cause I don't really like riding upright so it'll give me different riding positions.

Joel_D
12-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Over 12+ years of cycle commuting to work year round, about 42km round trip from the NW to DT. I've spent a small fortune, but I can finally say I've dialed in what works for me in the winter.

Bikes:
Jake the Snake CX - All around commuter bike used 85-90% through out the year for Commuting.
- 3 sets of tires swapped depending on weather: 700cX27 Road Slicks / CX knobby tires / 700cX30 45NRTH Xerxs winter studded tires. The Xerxs are great b/c they allow you over inflate the tires to push out the studs so they don't make contact with ground; on snow/icy days, lower the pressure and the studs provide traction on ice.
- Amazon brand 1100lumins front lights; MEC rear blinki's
- Full fenders.

Norco hybrid commuter with e-Assist BBS02 (48V11amp) dedicated for Winter/Nasty weather bike. Bike has a top speed of 65km, nice to have on snowy days when you have to take a lane and keep up with traffic.
- Tires are Swable Studded 700cx40 (front), 700cx35 (rear)
- PowerInMotion 1000Lumins front lights; MEC blinki's.
- Full fenders, Rear Rack & Panniers

Cycling Jacket: Gore Bike Wear; windproof/water resistant soft shell. Used from Fall-Winter-Spring and by far the critical piece keeping me comfortable in all types of weather. Flaps on the back and side of the jacket is awesome as it allows you to regulate how much heat is released.

Clothing (0 to -15 degrees):
- UnderArmor ColdGear light weight base layer shirt.
- MEC Cycling tights
- Gore Bike Wear shoe covers
- Gore Bike Wear winter gloves
- Gore Bike Wear baklava

Clothing (-10 to -20 degrees):
- UnderArmor ColdGear 3.0 base layer shirt & pants. Always blown away at how well these work to keep you warm.
- MEC Cycling tights
- Gore Bike Wear shoe covers
- 45NRTH Lobster gloves;
- Gore Bike Wear baklava

Clothing (-20 to -35 degrees):
- UnderArmor ColdGear 4.0 base layer shirt & pants. Literally need to leave the house within 5min of putting these on before I start to sweat.
- MEC Cycling tights
- 45NRTH Wolvhammers boots
- 45NRTH Lobster gloves with PowerInMotion Electric gloves. Awesome for keeping your fingers warm, I road when it was -35 and only had it at medium setting to keep fingers warm.
- 45NRTH Lung Cookie baklava; these work great since they have a cut out for your mouth and nose so glasses/goggles do not fog up.
- Ski goggles.

J-hop
12-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Some great ideas especially with us going into a really cold week! Going to go out tomorrow I think and get some better shoes for the cold.