PDA

View Full Version : BMW M2

Pages : [1] 2

shakalaka
11-28-2016, 08:25 PM
What are the thoughts on this one?

Better or worse than last gen M3/M4? What about the new M3/M4? I keep hearing that these will hold value or some mentions of it even appreciating. Any truth to that?

Contemplating getting one but not sure if it's a downgrade or an upgrade from E92 M3 or E70 X5M, although can't really compare it to the X5.

killramos
11-28-2016, 08:30 PM
These are not limited production cars like the 1M. So don't hold your breath on appreciation.

My opinion? Considering you will sell it in a month or two of ownership buying the cheapest M car in the lineup actually seems like a prudent decision.

It sounds like an awesome car, I love my 2 the M2 is supposed to be even better. I would buy one if it wasn't such an incremental difference over my current car for such a large amount more money (factoring in depreciation on my current car).

03ozwhip
11-28-2016, 08:31 PM
well that took...5 months? lol duuuude! just buy it and keep the X5. is it going to be your summer or daily? they said 5he same thing about the 1 Series and just look at the 1M.

shakalaka
11-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Haha I am just thinking I haven't quite made up my mind yet. X5M is nice but I miss the sports car feeling. My 1 of 1 E92 M3 is in Edmonton still and friends often send me spotted pics of it and that pisses me off even more. :(. But I don't want to feel like I downgraded at the same time. On M2 forums, majority of the people are preferring these to E92 M3's as far as drivability is concerned but not the 'upscale' and 'luxury' car feeling.

I would daily it with winter tires of course. The one I am looking is a manual transmission which I am okay with even though been a while since I had a manual.

ercchry
11-28-2016, 08:40 PM
If you don't want to "downgrade" ....why not an m3/4?

killramos
11-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Have you sat in a 2 series? It's the exact same interior as the new 3 or 4. Seats are great (same as the ones in my car but with added blue stitching).

My opinion entirely but I think the interior is far nicer than any E9X M3 I have ever been in. They are just dated.

Back seats are definitely small though.

shakalaka
11-28-2016, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
If you don't want to "downgrade" ....why not an m3/4?

Since I already owned the E92 generation, wouldn't mind something different/newer. The brand new M3/M4 are way too much $ for what you get and going through the reviews most people seem to be saying that they aren't as great. Still thinking about them too if the right one was to come along I guess.

Originally posted by killramos
Have you sat in a 2 series? It's the exact same interior as the new 3 or 4. Seats are great (same as the ones in my car but with added blue stitching).

My opinion entirely but I think the interior is far nicer than any E9X M3 I have ever been in. They are just dated.

Back seats are definitely small though.

Never been in one, just going off what people have been saying on forums that the materials used feel 'cheap' and 'plasticky'. I think I need to drive this MT M2 to see how it feels.

Majority of the people saying it is much more fun as a daily driver compared to the E92 M3 due to the higher torque and handling factor.

killramos
11-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka

Majority of the people saying it is much more fun as a daily driver compared to the E92 M3 due to the higher torque and handling factor.

This is definitely true, though not sure how it will compare to your X5M with a turbo V8 and awd.

ercchry
11-28-2016, 09:09 PM
the complaints of the new m3/4 are the same as what you think will make the m2 a better daily... perhaps if you want something different you should look beyond the BMW badge? like an rs5 or something

shakalaka
11-28-2016, 09:19 PM
^I would, even considering the AMG's again. But every dealership other than BMW wants to bend me over backwards with trade-in value. I've gotten $40K from a Benz dealership in Calgary which is over $20K less than what I paid 5-6 months ago. My BMW guy here in Edmonton is the only guy that can make it somewhat feasible for me to switch.

Thinking of driving the M2 tomorrow to see how it is.

redline
11-28-2016, 09:49 PM
^^^I will give you 41k for it :)

shakalaka
11-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Haha my BMW guy has my back and is offering a pretty good deal. ;)

The question is; if I want to make the trade or not at this time I guess.

redline
11-28-2016, 10:04 PM
I need to drive an m2 but there are rumours of s55 powered m2 for next yr. and the way you go through cars I would pick something up used and skip new cars.

Owning a e92 myself, I can see how the low end torque would be addictive of the turbo motors. I just love high reving na screamers.

If you need a car m2 would be a good choice imo.

ercchry
11-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Haha my BMW guy has my back and is offering a pretty good deal. ;)

The question is; if I want to make the trade or not at this time I guess.

Could probably just sell it to him instead of trade if that's one of your biggest reasons for not branching out

shakalaka
11-28-2016, 10:24 PM
I have explored all the options. The only way he shows me good trade-in value is if I pick another BMW vehicle. Of course he adjusts pricing on the new vehicle so he has the room etc. But yea kind of getting sick of BMW's too so may just ride it out with the X5M for a while until I can get into a different brand without taking a huge beating on the value.

killramos
11-29-2016, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by redline
I need to drive an m2 but there are rumours of s55 powered m2 for next yr.

There are rumors of a heavily detuned ( to the point of not really being any kind of a performance advantage over the 375 HP N55 ) S55 making it into a special run M2 CS or CSL model. Definitely not any time in the next year though.

Next year you might see an LCI M2 announced, which only matters if you want more electronics in the interior based on what I am seeing.

M2 CS will be about as unobtainable as the M3 or M4 GTS's. Better go put your money down on one today sight unseen and sit around and twiddle your thumbs on that vapour for a few years to have a shot.

Personally I think those people who "swear they hear an S55" inside the M2 test mules running around the Nurburgring are on crack.

heavyD
11-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Doesn't the M240i come with the newer/better engine?

killramos
11-29-2016, 10:59 AM
^ Yea but not the one we are talking about. They have moved to the B58 engine which is what all of BMW's new *40i cars ( *35i replacement ) have. From what I have heard its definitely better than the N55 but very much an evolutionary change.

S55 is the M3's engine which is pretty different.

shakalaka
11-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Just came across this...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329532

Anyway, further reason that I don't know if I want to go for the 2016 version at this time.

killramos
11-29-2016, 12:21 PM
Trouble is one guy on a forum "confirming" something does really hold a ton of water. Intriguing though, might have to have a chat with the dealer about tossing a deposit in for a shot at one.

Besides do you really want what will likely be a 2 seater track focused 2 series as your DD? I mean you are in an X5M right now for comparison.

If the car does turn out to be everything they say it is there are unholy things I would do to get into one.

shakalaka
11-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Well my difficulty with this particular M2 is that it is a 2016 version with about 3K km's and they are asking $3K more than what a different place is asking for a 2017 version. But at the same time my guy only offer my the value on the X5M that makes sense if I proceed with him and not the other place. Plus there is a whole issue if I truly want to go ahead with the M2. Will need winter tires right away and it doesn't help that I just lowered the X5M and bought a winter set, even tho not installed yet. lol

I am looking at C43's and GLA 45 as well and maybe I should check them out first. But I am sure then the ridiculous trade in offer problem will happen at a Benz dealer.

killramos
11-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Have you ever considered doing like 12 month leases of your vehicles?

It seems like getting handcuffed on trade in value on cars you own for very short terms is becoming a pretty regular problem. You had issues getting good value for your M3 for a month or 2 last time around didn't you?

shakalaka
11-29-2016, 12:48 PM
Yea. My plan is to definitely lease next time if I can help it regardless of what car I go with.

redline
11-29-2016, 01:10 PM
^ Yea but not the one we are talking about. They have moved to the B58 engine which is what all of BMW's new *40i cars ( *35i replacement ) have. From what I have heard its definitely better than the N55 but very much an evolutionary change.

S55 is the M3's engine which is pretty different.

depands on what you think is better... they are running about 330whp on a engine rated at 320 hp

but from early reports not great on the aftermarket front... seems like there is new programing in the ECU that is shutting down mods abover 380-400hp even JB4.

So aftermarket could be quite limited on the new BMWs

killramos
11-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Well I will personally never complain about a car making more HP than advertised :rofl:

N55 was the exact same way for years, give the tuners time to figure B58.

I think the N55 has really only just started getting full flash tunes. Same BS as the people who were convinced N54 was better " Because Tuning ". People are making monster power out of N55's now and I am sure they eventually will out of B58's.

I would personally be more concerned about the B58 having un-diagnosed gremlins and potential future issues considering it has only been around for 9 months than i would about maximum JB4 gains.

redline
11-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Well I will personally never complain about a car making more HP than advertised :rofl:

N55 was the exact same way for years, give the tuners time to figure B58.

I think the N55 has really only just started getting full flash tunes. Same BS as the people who were convinced N54 was better " Because Tuning ". People are making monster power out of N55's now and I am sure they eventually will out of B58's.

I would personally be more concerned about the B58 having un-diagnosed gremlins and potential future issues considering it has only been around for 9 months than i would about maximum JB4 gains.

Well no doubt an arms race, but lately on the BMW front one that the aftermarket is losing ground. The F series ECU are harder then ever to crack... no real flash tune without shipping the ECU to a tuner to drilled and glued then flash tuned and it looks like B58s will even be harder... i wonder when we get back to full aftermarket ECUs again.

For most buyers the harder they make it will make more buyers of $100K plus cars not bother with the aftermarket and just buy another car...

killramos
11-29-2016, 04:30 PM
well to me that only sounds like a plus to the manufacturers in the end...

killramos
04-19-2018, 05:55 PM
So the last M2 was just a JK, now the real one is coming out!

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-bmw-m2-competition-gets-405-hp-and-a-bigger-fa-1825340061

Now comes with the M3's engine, and pretty much everything else.

Detuned to 404 HP. 0-60 4.2s.

My bet is those numbers are super sandbagged.

Overall, feels great to know that a whole other generation of 2 series owners got bones as bad as I did :rofl:

shakalaka
04-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Yea looks great actually. The nicely loaded with M Perf Package costs a little more than base M3/M4. Still ruled out for me tho like last time due to size being way too small and tight for my liking.

heavyD
04-19-2018, 07:34 PM
Is pricing available? Safe to assume we may be able to get a better deal on a 2018 model with a better version coming?

ganesh
04-19-2018, 08:34 PM
Is pricing available? Safe to assume we may be able to get a better deal on a 2018 model with a better version coming?
What kind of deal are you looking for? What percentage of discount? If you want I can talk to my SA at Calgary BMW .

Sugarphreak
04-19-2018, 08:56 PM

killramos
04-19-2018, 09:36 PM
It's a pretty sweet car, much more special than the last even if the performance isn't leaps and bounds better.

I'm glad they made this for sure.

Team_Mclaren
04-19-2018, 09:55 PM

maybe? depends on how many they have available i guess. I think the 2019 would be a little more with the added power. I paid MSRP on mine last year.

shakalaka
02-24-2019, 06:33 PM
Alright, so decided not to make a 'what to buy' thread this time and it sort of just happened. As based on this thread, M2 has always been in the back of my head and it's a car I purposely avoided due to the reasons of thinking it maybe too small and tight for me, or more of a downgrade compared to the other cars I've owned. But this weekend decided to go meet my sales guy at Calgary BMW who had left but started there again and who had sold me my very first M3 and asked to test drive the M2 for fun. They only had a stick shift version with snow tires on it but I took it out. Honestly, as soon as I started it (M Performance Exhaust) I was sold. Anyway, absolutely loved the drive and so much better than my F80 M3 in so many ways. The size did not feel small either and I was comfortable. So next thing you know, I ended up buying one. They had a perfect 2018 version (not competition) with DCT and with barely any mileage and MPE on it in Black and I locked that shit down right away. Will be taking delivery next week as they are throwing on snow tires/rims on it and will deliver in Edmonton for me. Didn't want to do stick shift even though it's amazing cause of the odd times when the wife might need to drive it. All in all, excited for this one and let's see how it fares. I am going in thinking I will keep it for a year or so at least. Funny thing was that I initially went in thinking about a 2016 M6 Gran Coupe in Frozen colour but after driving the M2, I didn't even look back.

adam c
02-24-2019, 06:44 PM
^ nice buy, that wouldn’t happen to be Mike would it?

rage2
02-24-2019, 07:42 PM
Congrats! What car are you looking for next?

killramos
02-24-2019, 07:53 PM
Enjoy it. Great car.

Didn’t you think it was too small?

shakalaka
02-24-2019, 07:54 PM
^ nice buy, that wouldn’t happen to be Mike would it?

Yup, that's him. He sold me my very first BMW, which was the E92 M3. Glad he was able to sort something out and avoid me having to drive out to Vancouver again.

Congrats! What car are you looking for next?

Lol. Will try not to worry about that for a year or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoy it. Great car.

Didn’t you think it was too small?

Honestly, not at all. That was my biggest hesitation which is why I kept avoiding it. But having been driving the GTI, I figured it can't be much smaller than that. It felt super comfortable without any issues at all. We were 3 people in the car during the drive as well.

adam c
02-24-2019, 08:09 PM
Mikes a good guy, used to work with him when he branched out from auto sales

Buster
02-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Alright, so decided not to make a 'what to buy' thread this time and it sort of just happened. As based on this thread, M2 has always been in the back of my head and it's a car I purposely avoided due to the reasons of thinking it maybe too small and tight for me, or more of a downgrade compared to the other cars I've owned. But this weekend decided to go meet my sales guy at Calgary BMW who had left but started there again and who had sold me my very first M3 and asked to test drive the M2 for fun. They only had a stick shift version with snow tires on it but I took it out. Honestly, as soon as I started it (M Performance Exhaust) I was sold. Anyway, absolutely loved the drive and so much better than my F80 M3 in so many ways. The size did not feel small either and I was comfortable. So next thing you know, I ended up buying one. They had a perfect 2018 version (not competition) with DCT and with barely any mileage and MPE on it in Black and I locked that shit down right away. Will be taking delivery next week as they are throwing on snow tires/rims on it and will deliver in Edmonton for me. Didn't want to do stick shift even though it's amazing cause of the odd times when the wife might need to drive it. All in all, excited for this one and let's see how it fares. I am going in thinking I will keep it for a year or so at least. Funny thing was that I initially went in thinking about a 2016 M6 Gran Coupe in Frozen colour but after driving the M2, I didn't even look back.

Sounds like my story...went in to buy an E63S and walked out with a GLA45.

I really like those M2s. I personally like a bit more ground clearance and AWD for my DD. But if it wasn't for the snow...

Team_Mclaren
02-24-2019, 10:10 PM
They only had a stick shift version with snow tires on it but I took it out. Honestly, as soon as I started it (M Performance Exhaust) I was sold..

congrats, pretty much the same thing for me. My wife was about to put a deposit on a factory order Cayman S and i suggested her to look at an M2. Gallery happened to have one that someone else ordered but no long wants. It's 6speed with the M performance exhaust and as soon as she started it she's sold. So we ended up with the M2 instead of a cayman S.

Sugarphreak
02-24-2019, 11:33 PM

msommers
02-25-2019, 09:03 AM
Congrats! Post some pics when she comes in.

Did you lease this time?

shakalaka
02-25-2019, 09:25 AM
Nice buy, what colour did you end up going with? I recall that there is only 3 for the M2.

What was the OTD price (Ball park for my own curiosity, no need for exact numbers)

Did you look at the competition pricing at all?

My pricing won't really help you due to me being in a different situation with a trade-in and all that. But you can expect to get something like this in the $60K - $70K ballpark easily. Probably in the mid to lower end of that range. I also looked at a used I8 as well and I came quite close to pulling the trigger on that but just didn't want to deal with getting stuck with something that not many people would want down the line as much as I love the looks of it.

Did not look at competition at all. I will keep this a year or so didn't think it's a big deal.

Congrats! Post some pics when she comes in.

Did you lease this time?

Since used cars don't lease well (if at all) this one wasn't leased. I will miss that aspect for sure but like I said probably not a big deal for a year or so and I can still depreciate the value of the car to write off in my expenses. Will post some pics when I get it. I am just excited for that exhaust. lol

Cagare
02-25-2019, 10:20 AM
Nice buy, what colour did you end up going with? I recall that there is only 3 for the M2.

What was the OTD price (Ball park for my own curiosity, no need for exact numbers)

Did you look at the competition pricing at all?

Asking prices for used low mileage (12k or less) M2s starts around 60k and goes down from there, but that is obvious with a search . If you want a manual it is in the mid 50’s. Not a lot of happy m2 owners when the competition came out as it had an impact on pricing, even though the m2 is still a great car. Gearing is quite a bit different in the DCT obviously and supposedly isn’t great for tire size changes and things like say autocross.

Disoblige
02-25-2019, 10:40 AM
Congrats on the car, but I would still be surprised if you keep it for more than 1 year :D

msommers
02-25-2019, 10:48 AM
Let the betting start at $100

Disoblige
02-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Every month should have some weight to it!

So if he sells within March 2019: $1200
Apr: $1100
May: $1000
June: $900
July: $800
Aug: $700
Sept: $600
Oct: $500
Nov: $400
Dec: $300
Jan: $200
Feb: $100

Once it hits March 1st, $100 to opposing winner, and $250 bonus if he sells anytime after June 2020 :rofl:

max_boost
02-25-2019, 12:06 PM
I like cars again so if you decide to fire sell it after a year, let me know. Beyond special cash in hand always. lol :bigpimp: but enjoy it!!!! :burnout:

killramos
02-25-2019, 12:36 PM
^ Not sure Shak does cash for his cars lol

bjstare
02-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Congrats on the car, but I would still be surprised if you keep it for more than 6 months :D

ftfy

max_boost
02-25-2019, 01:17 PM
^ Not sure Shak does cash for his cars lol

I'll assume the lease then lol

BavarianBeast
02-25-2019, 01:32 PM
If firing up the M2 with performance exhaust is what sold you on the car, you should of started it again with ASD coded out. Can’t say the sound would be the selling point for me, the rest of the package is good. Congrats and enjoy!

killramos
02-25-2019, 01:34 PM
I always liked the sound of my 235, pretty easy to separate what’s real and fake with the ASD. Car is completely different windows open.

Buster
02-25-2019, 01:42 PM
You need to get the sales guy to start the car with you standing outside to see what it really sounds like.

shakalaka
02-25-2019, 02:45 PM
I was actually standing outside the car. Took a little video as well but not sure how to post. That being said, only two exhausts were working at the time and upon further reading it sounds like that means the flaps are closed. Once flaps are open all 4 work. So the way I look at it is if I loved it with only the 2 exhausts functional on cold start, I am sure with the flaps open and all 4 going - it’ll be much better.

Thursday is the delivery in Edmonton. Bought a set of OEM rims and snow tires as well at the same time and got a freaking insane deal on that so they are gonna throw those on and drive it up to Edmonton. They will take the 540 with my winter tires and OEM summer’s and hold the winters for me until I can pick them up. Anyone wants a mint set of 20” Michelin winter tires, let me know. I will get the details if someone wants.

killramos
02-25-2019, 02:47 PM
You can always start it with the exhaust open btw if you are trying to show off.

Turn the power on withbfoot off the brake, set the driver mode, then turn on ignition and it will start at full volume.

If you care.

shakalaka
02-25-2019, 03:19 PM
That’s always good to know but I think that may be applicable if there is no MPE. But it has a Bluetooth button thing that it comes with and I think I can open up the exhaust via that as well before turning it on. With MPE the exhaust doesn’t respond the car getting put in Sport mode and the Bluetooth remote is the only way.

killramos
02-25-2019, 03:37 PM
Are you sure it’s M Performance Exhaust and not aftermarket lol

That sounds aftermarket to me, because the M exhausts use the factory solenoids to open the valves. And if it ships with the adjustable valves, most aftermarket exhausts will still integrate.

The “Bluetooth button” sounds very bushleague to me.

Buster
02-25-2019, 03:51 PM
Are you sure it’s M Performance Exhaust and not aftermarket lol

That sounds aftermarket to me, because the M exhausts use the factory solenoids to open the valves. And if it ships with the adjustable valves, most aftermarket exhausts will still integrate.

The “Bluetooth button” sounds very bushleague to me.

the factory performance exhaust comes with a BT remote, actually.

killramos
02-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Wow lol, that sounds super half assed compared to the rest of the lineup. Or even the M perf versions...

Kg810
02-25-2019, 04:08 PM
Please explain how a remote controlled variable exhaust is "bushleague" or "super half assed."

Open the valves when you want to WOT and closed when you want to coast.

Buster
02-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Please explain how a remote controlled variable exhaust is "bushleague" or "super half assed."

you dont see how carrying around a remote fob to manage your exhaust is not exactly an ideal solution?

Kg810
02-25-2019, 04:30 PM
you dont see how carrying around a remote fob to manage your exhaust is not exactly an ideal solution?

Why would you need to carry it? Just leave it in the car.

I don't see how it is bushleague / half assed though, just because it isn't a physical button somewhere in the car itself? Not having it integrated allows for people to easily upgrade/install it themselves down the road.

Buster
02-25-2019, 04:31 PM
I have a button my car that does it. You're not taking your exhaust with you into the store, why do you need to take the control in with you?

killramos
02-25-2019, 04:37 PM

Because in every single one of BMW’s other cars it’s integrated nicely into the cars electronics, with dedicated buttons and can be programmed into the cars modes automatically.

A Bluetooth fob reeks of something that was hacked in in someone’s garage. In a $$$ factory exhaust package on a 70k car.

That’s bushleague to me.

And to be clear, I’m not hating for the sake of it. I love the M2, I would have bought one 2 years ago if they weren’t so overpriced at the dealers. But this is clearly something that was not properly thought through and a legitimate criticism.

Kg810
02-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Because in every single one of BMW’s other cars it’s integrated nicely into the cars electronics, with dedicated buttons and can be programmed into the cars modes automatically.

A Bluetooth fob reeks of something that was hacked in in someone’s garage. In a $$$ factory exhaust package on a 70k car.

That’s bushleague to me.

And to be clear, I’m not hating for the sake of it. I love the M2, I would have bought one 2 years ago if they weren’t so overpriced at the dealers. But this is clearly something that was not properly thought through and a legitimate criticism.

Really? Care to name all those other BMWs that have an integrated physical button that controls just the MPE valves?

Buster
02-25-2019, 04:55 PM
Really? Care to name all those other BMWs that have an integrated physical button that controls just the MPE valves?

My merc has one. Looks a lot nicer.

killramos
02-25-2019, 04:58 PM
Every M model with M buttons on the steering wheel and adjustable exhaust can do it. Let alone the dynamic driving control buttons on the console.

And all of the M performance models with adjustable exhaust can be controlled with the drivelogic toggle on the console can be used to adjust the exhaust valves.

If you buy a quality aftermarket system like an Akra etc. They use the factory solenoids like I mentioned earlier to accomplish the same.

If you want a catalogue of specific models, I would try BMW’s website.

- - - Updated - - -

This

lilmira
02-25-2019, 05:06 PM
Audi is similar. You either switch to dynamic or go to the exhaust setting in individual. If the car doesn't have it I guess you have no choice but to add a switch somewhere somehow. How about the Japanese or the americans? Don't they have similar setup?

BavarianBeast
02-25-2019, 05:27 PM
Would be half assed imo too if it comes stock with a fob..I’ve only seen some aftermarket valved exhausts need a fob. Even my aftermarket titanium exhaust on my R8 integrates with the stock system and I can control the valves right from the steering wheel.

Team_Mclaren
02-25-2019, 05:56 PM
meh, it has a holder that fits perfect in the side cupholder. I didnt care that it wasnt integrated.

shakalaka
02-25-2019, 06:12 PM
I don’t mind it. Here you guys can see it in action. Comes with a foam case that kind of installs in one of the cup holders and it just sits there.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1225356

heavyD
02-25-2019, 09:33 PM
I kind of wish I had the MPE as it does sound awesome. It's just so damn expensive and the stock M2 exhaust sounds pretty good on it's own.

rage2
02-26-2019, 07:15 AM
Ditto. Eco fuel saving mode and loud exhaust for my morning commutes haha.

tcon
02-26-2019, 02:46 PM
Congrats on the purchase, I occasionally drool over M2s on Kijiji... waiting until I have a house with a big garage lol

Buster
02-26-2019, 03:00 PM
Ditto. Eco fuel saving mode and loud exhaust for my morning commutes haha.

Eco mode? I'd permanently disable that button.

killramos
02-26-2019, 03:08 PM
I consider putting the car in sport+ to just be a part of the normal startup sequence.

Also am I the only one bothered by Rages performance exhaust button graphic not matching the shape of his exhaust tips?

lol

Darkane
02-26-2019, 07:59 PM
Poor timing? Isn’t a big daddy CS right around the corner?

rage2
02-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Eco mode? I'd permanently disable that button.
The eco mode is ridiculously aggressive for eco mode in the E53. It’s actually quite usable, and I’m pretty anal about throttle response. The lack of lag and large use of electric motor certainly makes the mode much more “crisp” than other AMGs I’ve driven. Off throttle the car will shut down the engine while cruising and run on electric. It’s too cold to hit gas stations right now so I’m happy pushing almost 600km of city driving on a tank haha.

shakalaka
02-28-2019, 09:11 PM
Took delivery today. Here are some pics as some people requested.

heavyD
03-01-2019, 06:12 PM
Very nice. First mod should be to replace the chrome grill with the M Performance black grille.

dirtsniffer
03-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Second tint the markers and the tails

shakalaka
03-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Very nice. First mod should be to replace the chrome grill with the M Performance black grille.

That's the first thing I do with all of these. Will be looking for a grille or surround.

Second tint the markers and the tails

Actually might look into that. Have never done it in the past, but on a Black car, I feel like it's a must do.

03ozwhip
03-01-2019, 07:07 PM
+3 on the grills, make sure they're dual slats!

Buster
03-01-2019, 07:12 PM
I disagree. Leave the lights and grills. Some contrast on a dark car looks better. You already have the heavy tint on the windows. And don't do the tail lights....it just looks like you are trying too hard. The car looks great enough already you don't need to do the things that Hyundai Genesis owners do to make their cars look sporty. It's Altezza lights all over again.

shakalaka
03-01-2019, 07:14 PM
I disagree. Leave the lights and grills. Some contrast on a dark car looks better. You already have the heavy tint on the windows. And don't do the tail lights....it just looks like you are trying too hard. The car looks great enough already you don't need to do the things that Hyundai Genesis owners do to make their cars look sporty. It's Altezza lights all over again.

And this is the other school of thought I struggle with. Tint is little too heavy for my liking but it came with it. The front grille I've always changed to gloss black for all the BMW's...never done tail lights since my first car, 350Z days 10 years ago. lol

03ozwhip
03-01-2019, 07:20 PM
I second not tinting anything, but change the grills. Sports cars have no business with chrome on them.

Buster
03-01-2019, 07:22 PM
And this is the other school of thought I struggle with. Tint is little too heavy for my liking but it came with it. The front grille I've always changed to gloss black for all the BMW's...never done tail lights since my first car, 350Z days 10 years ago. lol

I think you need to choose between the heavy tint or the grill. Otherwise you suffer from Black Blob Syndrome. The grill isn't so bad. But don't do the tail-lights. Don't do that to yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71bIktNSZ1k

killramos
03-01-2019, 07:23 PM
^+1

benyl
03-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Forget tint and grills. Trade it for a Camry!

rage2
03-01-2019, 11:18 PM
TIL I’m trying too hard with my head and tail lights. :rofl:

tonytiger55
03-02-2019, 12:16 AM
Shakalaka..... very nice... very bloody nice. Congrats...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-02-2019, 09:06 AM
I’m usually not a fan of black cars but I really like black on the M2.

bjstare
03-02-2019, 09:30 AM
I'd say leave the headlights and taillights alone, just tint the reflectors in the bumper.

heavyD
03-02-2019, 12:50 PM
I think you need to choose between the heavy tint or the grill. Otherwise you suffer from Black Blob Syndrome. The grill isn't so bad. But don't do the tail-lights. Don't do that to yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71bIktNSZ1k

He can mix it up slightly by going with the M performance CF mirror caps, spoiler and rear diffuser. Will still look dark but up close the CF trim comes out a bit lighter. I'm probably going to have a set of used M performance CF mirror caps available in about a month. :)

dirtsniffer
03-02-2019, 06:46 PM

shakalaka
03-02-2019, 08:59 PM
He can mix it up slightly by going with the M performance CF mirror caps, spoiler and rear diffuser. Will still look dark but up close the CF trim comes out a bit lighter. I'm probably going to have a set of used M performance CF mirror caps available in about a month. :)

Are you selling your car or just changing it up a bit? I’ll consider some CF bits even tho I don’t plan to spend too much $ on it since I’ll be looking at something else after a year or so presumably. But ya let me know either way.
dirtsniffer That’s from Bimmerpost right? Some private guy selling something like those on there right?

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, I am enjoying it so far. Back of my head I keep thinking I ‘downgraded’ for no reason but it really is that much more fun of a vehicle than many others in its own and better class. So not letting that be an issue. And oh my GAWD that damn exhaust with the flaps open. If my M3 ever sounded like that I may have kept it for longer than 9 months. :drool:

BavarianBeast
03-02-2019, 10:13 PM
Looks awesome, I like the dark tint on the windows. Looks 30%? As long as it’s not a pain in the ass to drive to drive at night like 5%, I’d say keep it.. The lightly smoked tail lights like dirtsniffers I think look great, just subtlety blends them into the car more.