PDA

View Full Version : listedmotors.ca Alternative to Kijiji?

jacky4566
12-01-2016, 05:23 PM
http://www.listedmotors.ca/

Anyone check this out? Seems like an upscale Autotrader.

The required inspections are nice for buyers.

It would be nice to have another option to the wasteland of reposted Kijiji ads.

soloracer
12-01-2016, 05:30 PM
Interesting concept with almost no cars listed. I don't see this getting much traction. The car advertisements read like they think they are talking to a toddler. Never a good idea to talk down to your audience. Besides, if people want to buy a fully inspected car they can always go to a dealership. This website reads and looks like something a shady used car lot might put out.

soloracer
12-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Also, the web design is not good. Looks like something was done at home. The concept of the company deciding what the sales price will be is also entertaining. So they appraise the car at a really low price knowing if they have to buy it within 60 days they will make a bunch of money on it? Most sellers like to set their own prices. And most buyers like to be able to see the car in person, maybe even drive it, before plunking down their hard earned cash. Especially if the car is local to them. I see this going nowhere fast.

Thaco
12-01-2016, 05:48 PM
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ormhelm

thats the owner... seems like a young person that doesn't have any notable experience or anything, just knows how to build websites... who knows..

rx7boi
12-02-2016, 09:27 AM
:rofl: :rofl: I like the ad descriptions.

HELLO! I AM THOMAS THE TRUCK! PLEASED TO MEET YOU!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/MaterCars.jpg

muse017
12-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Description sounds like straight rip off from SPCA website lol

RealJimmyJames
12-03-2016, 10:56 PM
The best place to sell anything is where it will get the most views. A site with currently TWO cars listed is not going to get much traffic. Probably have more views by parking at Safeway with a sign in the window.

listed
01-04-2017, 12:47 AM
Hi guys, this thread is probably buried. But it's me (Ormhel) the founder of Listed. Don't know why I didn't see this thread till now.

We recently launched and are looking for inventory ATM so that's why you don't see too many cars up.
I appreciate the feedback, it'll help us improve for the future.

I have programming experience and I'm currently a university student.
It's been tough, I mean really tough...

I've been developing Listed for awhile now, it started when my parents bought a car at a used-car dealership (won't mention any names) and got completely screwed over. They were told that the SUV they bought had no accidents and no issues whatsoever. But after a month there were small issues that started popping up. They took it to a mechanic and were told that underneath the car there was twisted metal and bolts that weren't even properly attached. I suggested they run a CarProof and they found that their SUV had 2 major accidents. On top of that, they got a different interest rate than the one the salesmen told them they would get. But hey, you already signed for it.

They tried to sell it on Kijiji and I tried to help, but it was just full endless emails and texts of people low-balling or people not even showing up. They decided to trade it into a dealership to avoid the hassle but yet again got SCREWED on the trade-in value.

So yeah I wasn't just a little ticked off, I was livid.

To answer a few questions I will list them below.

1. We use CBB, CarProof and real-time market prices to price our vehicles. We do price comparisons to what you would expect to get for a dealer trade in, as well as what you would expect if you tried to sell it privately and how long it would take.

1a. CarProof is currently creating a developer API for us to use, similar to Edmunds, so we can make our pricing algorithm instant. You'll know exactly what we will give you for your car as soon as you hop onto the site.

2. We price the vehicles VERY competitively and are completely transparent with our pricing. We have a margin up to 9%, dealerships have margins from 30 - 50%. So if we offer you $10,000 for your car, we will only list it up for a MAXIMUM of $10,900. We do this to help cover our costs, etc. That is the same price we will give you if we don't sell your car in 60-days. And since we don't have much overhead, we can still offer a fair price to the seller and a competitive price to the buyer.

3. The majority of people don't have $10,000+ sitting around in cash so we offer financing through our lending partner so it makes it easier for people to get into a car.

4. We're able to thrive on a lower margin because (1) we don't have the fancy dealership showroom (2) we don't have the expensive salespeople (3) You can continue to drive your car until we find a buyer so we don't have huge inventories that we need to hold onto and store. That means we can give you more if you're selling your car, and don't need to mark up prices if you're looking to buy one.

5. We understand that some people like to test - drive the car before purchasing a car. However, it's really a matter of preference. Everyone thinks that used cars salesmen are really the bottom of the barrel, and test driving a car was really their last chance to make sure they weren't getting taken advantage of. So that is why in addition to a 200-point inspection we give you a 10-day extended test drive. A 15-minute test drive won't reveal most issues even to a trained mechanic, so we want you to use in conjunction with everyday life to make sure you love it, if not we take it back. We also back our cars with a 90-day warranty.

5a. To add on to above, the infrastructure to support test drives is VERY costly. You need the lot, the showroom, the salespeople. If you got a car delivered straight from the factory to your house the savings would be HUGE. (TESLA FTW)

6. We think that all cars have a story so that is why our description is written like that. All cars have character, and especially in Beyond people love their cars! It's gone to the mountains for a snowboard trip with some friends, or maybe it's the car you've spent a lot of late nights working on. We wanted to show people that.

7. We're an end to end experience. We are a platform that is hoping to create an online marketplace. By creating direct connections between trustworthy sellers like you and serious buyers, you won't have any spam, flakes or hassle. And you'll always be able to sell for more and pay for less.

If you guys have any more questions please fire away. We want to bring the trust and transparency into the industry, and I really believe that Listed is onto something.

You guys are right I am young. But, together with my team, we each have skills that we excel in and make us great. We also have a great group of mentors and advisors helping us. Yes, it is a startup, and yes it may be completely different than a traditional dealership, but this our solution to the problem.

edit: to the Safeway comment: We handle all the promotion of your car, the carproof, listing it on Kijiji, AutoTrader, Let Go as well as our own site to get maximum exposure. We pay for top ads, answer all the emails, phone calls, and inquiries so you can just sit back and wait for us to let you know it's sold.

J-hop
01-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Wish you the best of luck on this. Will be a tough market to get into but it could work.

I think the biggest thing right now would be advertising. I know it's young but this is the first I've heard of it.

Might be worth advertising on the Calgary cars swap and shop FB page. There are a ton of people on there and I know a couple companies throw up posts there every once in a while.

Also I did find it a bit hard to find your FB page. Listed didn't seem to work, listedmotors and listedmotors.ca didn't either but somehow listed.ca worked to find it (quickly, I didn't bother scrolling a ton of results. So maybe optimizing the ability for search engines to pick it up (I have absolutely no clue how that stuff works)

Edit: thought of another suggestion. I really like the photo of the peace bridge on the "about" section. I think it might be nice to have that pop up on the main page just like it is in the about section. Especially if you are focusing local right now. I like that personal touch that feels like I'm not just being linked to a random For sale post board on the internet. I feel like it would make the customer feel more at home (for lack of a less cliche way to describe it)

ExtraSlow
01-04-2017, 09:14 AM
I wish you good luck as well.

So far, how many cars have you sold? That's going to be the best way to prove your worth, show your experience.

soloracer
01-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by listed

1. We use CBB, CarProof and real-time market prices to price our vehicles. We do price comparisons to what you would expect to get for a dealer trade in, as well as what you would expect if you tried to sell it privately and how long it would take.

People selling usually would consider a Black Book price to be a low ball number. As for your price comparisons, how do you know what a car will sell for? Auctions? What does that say about condition, etc? Dealer trade ins are affected by the purchase price of the car it is being traded in for so good luck there. You can't go off what prices people are asking for cars in private sales either.

1a. CarProof is currently creating a developer API for us to use, similar to Edmunds, so we can make our pricing algorithm instant. You'll know exactly what we will give you for your car as soon as you hop onto the site.

That takes into consideration the local market conditions? For example, a convertible Bentley in Beverly Hills California will garner top dollar but in High Level Alberta not so much. Vice versa for a decked out lifted 4x4. Not to mention economic factors, etc.

2. We price the vehicles VERY competitively and are completely transparent with our pricing. We have a margin up to 9%, dealerships have margins from 30 - 50%. So if we offer you $10,000 for your car, we will only list it up for a MAXIMUM of $10,900. We do this to help cover our costs, etc. That is the same price we will give you if we don't sell your car in 60-days. And since we don't have much overhead, we can still offer a fair price to the seller and a competitive price to the buyer.

Which means you either shaft the guy trying to sell his car or you get stuck with an overpriced car you can't sell.

3. The majority of people don't have $10,000+ sitting around in cash so we offer financing through our lending partner so it makes it easier for people to get into a car.

There is a current thing called a Bank or Finance Company that offers just these services for you if you wish to purchase a vehicle.

4. We're able to thrive on a lower margin because (1) we don't have the fancy dealership showroom (2) we don't have the expensive salespeople (3) You can continue to drive your car until we find a buyer so we don't have huge inventories that we need to hold onto and store. That means we can give you more if you're selling your car, and don't need to mark up prices if you're looking to buy one.

Since when are dealerships the only way used cars are sold?

5. We understand that some people like to test - drive the car before purchasing a car. However, it's really a matter of preference. Everyone thinks that used cars salesmen are really the bottom of the barrel, and test driving a car was really their last chance to make sure they weren't getting taken advantage of. So that is why in addition to a 200-point inspection we give you a 10-day extended test drive. A 15-minute test drive won't reveal most issues even to a trained mechanic, so we want you to use in conjunction with everyday life to make sure you love it, if not we take it back. We also back our cars with a 90-day warranty.

Back in the 90's I dreamed about having an NSX. I read every magazine article available and could not wait until I could afford one. When I finally got to drive a stock one I was the most disappointed man on the planet. It didn't have the power my 944 Turbo had. So your thought is I should have bought it without driving? And for the seller, you expect me to give up my car with a 10 day test drive? What if something happens during the test drive? They get in an accident? Or they damage my clutch? How do you handle those disputes? You buy the car? Not a very sound business model if that is the case.

5a. To add on to above, the infrastructure to support test drives is VERY costly. You need the lot, the showroom, the salespeople. If you got a car delivered straight from the factory to your house the savings would be HUGE. (TESLA FTW)

True. So why do you think they do it? Perhaps because they know people don't buy unless they can try first?

6. We think that all cars have a story so that is why our description is written like that. All cars have character, and especially in Beyond people love their cars! It's gone to the mountains for a snowboard trip with some friends, or maybe it's the car you've spent a lot of late nights working on. We wanted to show people that.

And you end up sounding like you are mentally handicapped and your target market are 2 year olds. When I bought my Audi did you think I gave a shit if the guy took it to the mountains? No. All I cared about was the condition and the price. People are buying a car - not a romance novel.

7. We're an end to end experience. We are a platform that is hoping to create an online marketplace. By creating direct connections between trustworthy sellers like you and serious buyers, you won't have any spam, flakes or hassle. And you'll always be able to sell for more and pay for less.

So you are saying the seller gets more for their car than they would have otherwise and the buyer pays less than they would have otherwise? And you get a cut out of the middle? Yeah, right. That makes total sense.

If you guys have any more questions please fire away. We want to bring the trust and transparency into the industry, and I really believe that Listed is onto something.

You guys are right I am young. But, together with my team, we each have skills that we excel in and make us great. We also have a great group of mentors and advisors helping us. Yes, it is a startup, and yes it may be completely different than a traditional dealership, but this our solution to the problem.

This isn't a solution. It's a pipe dream.

edit: to the Safeway comment: We handle all the promotion of your car, the carproof, listing it on Kijiji, AutoTrader, Let Go as well as our own site to get maximum exposure. We pay for top ads, answer all the emails, phone calls, and inquiries so you can just sit back and wait for us to let you know it's sold.

HiTempguy1
01-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by soloracer

Soloracer, your opinions show that you don't know much about car sales.

Lots of cars are sold without a test drive, or a substantial one. A car is an appliance to 95% of the population.

1) Does it do what I need it to do (drive down the road to destination)?

2) Does it have the features I want?

3) Do I like the way it looks?

4) Can I actually make payments on it?

Thats it. Thats all. The easier it is to facilitate the transaction (which is what it appears the guy is trying to do), the more likely the transaction is to occur. Tons of Beyond ballers trade their vehicles in for thousands of dollars less than they could sell for privately because of "convenience".

Type_S1
01-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Lots of cars are sold without a test drive, or a substantial one. A car is an appliance to 95% of the population.

Thats it. Thats all. The easier it is to facilitate the transaction (which is what it appears the guy is trying to do), the more likely the transaction is to occur. Tons of Beyond ballers trade their vehicles in for thousands of dollars less than they could sell for privately because of "convenience".

I tend to agree other Soloracer for most of his post to be honest. Creating another middleman agency when Kijiji already exists seems pointless. If people don't want the hassle of Kijiji they will just sell to a dealership IMO. The people who sell on Kijiji know the value of a vehicle most likely and care about the $$ so won't let a middleman haggle them to a lower price for and easy sale and then take a commission.

The world has been moving away from middleman services not towards them....:dunno:

soloracer
01-04-2017, 12:29 PM

So you would have lent me your Audi S4 for 10 days to thrash with a money back guarantee? I should have taken you up on that then. ;) Sometimes I think you like to argue with me just for the sake of arguing. As for the test drive, maybe if they had actual experience in the type of vehicle they were interested in you are right. But in the case of most people buying an unknown car they want to see it in person and drive before buying. Even true with appliances - just look at the people wandering around the showrooms at Trail or Best Buy.

soloracer
01-04-2017, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

I tend to agree other Soloracer for most of his post to be honest. Creating another middleman agency when Kijiji already exists seems pointless. If people don't want the hassle of Kijiji they will just sell to a dealership IMO. The people who sell on Kijiji know the value of a vehicle most likely and care about the $$ so won't let a middleman haggle them to a lower price for and easy sale and then take a commission.

The world has been moving away from middleman services not towards them....:dunno:

Plus, if they want a quick sale at market price there is already a system for that too - it's called an Auction.

listed
01-04-2017, 12:53 PM

1. People selling usually would consider a Black Book price to be a low ball number. As for your price comparisons, how do you know what a car will sell for? Auctions? What does that say about condition, etc? Dealer trade ins are affected by the purchase price of the car it is being traded in for so good luck there. You can't go off what prices people are asking for cars in private sales either.

We take in data from CBB and Carproof. We have a partnership with Carproof that gives us access to data you wouldn't be able to get unless you paid for it. We give you a range when we offer our PRE-INSPECTION offer that is based off the condition of the car. If it doesn't meet our requirements, it fails. AFTER we inspect the car we give you a our guaranteed price that we will pay regardless if it sells or not.

If your car needs new tires or a new windshield we don't try and mark it up. The price it is to replace it is the price that's taken off our offer. We give you a receipt just for transparency.

1a. That takes into consideration the local market conditions? For example, a convertible Bentley in Beverly Hills California will garner top dollar but in High Level Alberta not so much. Vice versa for a decked out lifted 4x4. Not to mention economic factors, etc.

The great thing about CarProof is that it is location specific and it uses local market data. So a car in Alberta, won't be the same price as Toronto.

2. Which means you either shaft the guy trying to sell his car or you get stuck with an overpriced car you can't sell.

To reiterate, we are data driven. And we have lower overheads, so it allows us to offer a fair price to both the seller and the buyer. We give sellers a pre-inspection offer and if they are comfortable with the price then it is their decision whether or not to use us.

3. There is a current thing called a Bank or Finance Company that offers just these services for you if you wish to purchase a vehicle.

Yes, that's is true. What we're doing is make the process more seamless, so you don't have to go through multiple hoops just to get approval.

4. Since when are dealerships the only way used cars are sold?

It's not, we're an alternative for people that don't want the hassle but still want a fair price for their car.

5. Back in the 90's I dreamed about having an NSX. I read every magazine article available and could not wait until I could afford one. When I finally got to drive a stock one I was the most disappointed man on the planet. It didn't have the power my 944 Turbo had. So your thought is I should have bought it without driving? And for the seller, you expect me to give up my car with a 10 day test drive? What if something happens during the test drive? They get in an accident? Or they damage my clutch? How do you handle those disputes? You buy the car? Not a very sound business model if that is the case.

As soon as we find a buyer we PURCHASE the car from you, and you're all done. If the buyer returns it within the 10-days we will keep in our inventory. We have a policy that the car is in the same condition as we gave it to you, and people have insurance.

5a. True. So why do you think they do it? Perhaps because they know people don't buy unless they can try first?

We have a 10-day money back guarantee, which is an extended test drive period. Some people may prefer the 15-minute test drive, but what the 10-days does is help if you have buyers remorse and really get a feel for the car. We encourage people to use the existing network of dealerships if they are unsure about the type of car they want. We are confident that our lower price, and guarantees will bring them back.

6. And you end up sounding like you are mentally handicapped and your target market are 2 year olds. When I bought my Audi did you think I gave a shit if the guy took it to the mountains? No. All I cared about was the condition and the price. People are buying a car - not a romance novel.

Not everyone cares, but the more you know about the car the more you'll know about the condition. If you're buying a car privately, you can tell a lot about a car's history just by how the person is acting and what they're saying, it definitely tells a lot.

7. So you are saying the seller gets more for their car than they would have otherwise and the buyer pays less than they would have otherwise? And you get a cut out of the middle? Yeah, right. That makes total sense.

Otherwise get from a dealership, the reason that they need to low ball you on your car is because of HUGE overheads. Conversely, that is the reason they need to mark it up when selling it. That is why private sales are usually cheaper.

8. This isn't a solution. It's a pipe dream.

It might be, but i'm confident that I have garnered enough validation to make this pipe dream happen.

Companies in the states:
SHIFT
VROOM
TRED
CARLYPSO

listed
01-04-2017, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

Some people prefer to sell privately and that's cool. We are an alternative. But how many times do people drop the price of their car because it's not selling? Also, more often than not, have to negotiate a lower price when someone is interested.

You continue to drive your car until we find a buyer, as soon as we find one then we BUY the car from you and you're done.

If you want to use a dealership and don't mind losing a few thousand dollars that's the price you pay for convenience.

Plus, if they want a quick sale at market price there is already a system for that too - it's called an Auction.

I'll use Regal auctions as an example. You pay 10$ + 10% commission off the sales price of the car. You need to leave it in their lot for the duration of the agreement and leave a reserve price. None of the cars are thoroughly inspected, so if you're using an auction and there is something wrong with your car, you've effectively screwed the buyer.

Sure you can see the car, but you can't test drive it. So as soon as you sign you're responsible for how great or how shitty a deal you got. Maybe you got a mint car, maybe you ended up with a lemon.

soloracer
01-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Interesting perspective:

http://torqueaffair.com/beepi-carlypso-carvana/

And yet even all these sites couldn't sell him a car. He got it on Craigslist instead. And Listed is nowhere near these guys in terms of footprint, inventory or apparent capital funding. On top of that, are any of these guys actually making money? I highly doubt it.

listed
01-04-2017, 01:48 PM
They didn't have a car that he was looking for.
If you're looking for something in particular, we try out best to find one.

And you're right we aren't as big, have the inventory, or capital funding.
I self-funded Listed, sold the nice car and bought a beater. I'm lucky I have mentors with tons experience that are helping me along, as well as competitions to get funding.

Uber isn't profitable, But yet it's valued at $66 billion dollars. It had a lot of criticism when it first started it out, but now it's almost like a household name.

HiTempguy1
01-04-2017, 01:50 PM

So you would have lent me your Audi S4 for 10 days to thrash with a money back guarantee? I should have taken you up on that then. ;) Sometimes I think you like to argue with me just for the sake of arguing. As for the test drive, maybe if they had actual experience in the type of vehicle they were interested in you are right. But in the case of most people buying an unknown car they want to see it in person and drive before buying. Even true with appliances - just look at the people wandering around the showrooms at Trail or Best Buy.

I love arguing, friend, foe, acquaintance, or stranger :p

I didn't read it as a money back guarantee on the sellers part? I view this more of as a consignment lot type of deal, without the actual lot.

I do not believe a "middle-man" for private selling is actually currently available. I also think you are placing way too much value on the test drive.

Have you ever bought/sold a used appliance? A dishwasher or washing machine? Was it just sitting in someones garage? How do you test that?

I'm not disagreeing that a test drive is not important, but honestly, for most non-car people, an inspection by a mechanic is more "important" than a test drive.

listed
01-04-2017, 01:57 PM

I didn't read it as a money back guarantee on the sellers part?

You're right, Listed offers the money back guarantee. As soon as we find a buyer we purchase the car from you. After that the money is yours to keep regardless if the buyer returns it or not.

soloracer
01-05-2017, 11:01 AM
They didn't have a car that he was looking for.
If you're looking for something in particular, we try out best to find one.

And you're right we aren't as big, have the inventory, or capital funding.
I self-funded Listed, sold the nice car and bought a beater. I'm lucky I have mentors with tons experience that are helping me along, as well as competitions to get funding.

Uber isn't profitable, But yet it's valued at $66 billion dollars. It had a lot of criticism when it first started it out, but now it's almost like a household name.

Uber is overvalued and at some point has to make money. Otherwise why be in business?

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.techtimes.com/amp/articles/175147/20160826/uber-lost-nearly-1-3-b-over-the-first-half-of-the-year-is-the-worlds-most-valuable-startup-in-trouble.htm?client=safari

Mitsu3000gt
01-05-2017, 11:23 AM
If you're interested in stories about each car, can I ask what efforts are made to verify these stories beyond taking the word of the seller?

realazy
01-05-2017, 12:44 PM

You're right, Listed offers the money back guarantee. As soon as we find a buyer we purchase the car from you. After that the money is yours to keep regardless if the buyer returns it or not.

I guess you must have a lot of faith in your pricing or that it's significantly lower than market value for you to offer refunds and take on the risk of trying to sell it after, let alone the potential capital required to hold an inventory of refunded cars.

Type_S1
01-05-2017, 01:00 PM
He is definitely low balling sellers to make an easy sell on the other end, this business doesn't work otherwise. He may beat dealership pricing which equates to being bent over without lube...he just adds a little lube to lessen the blow.

Can you provide an example of a car you have sold so far? Make, model, KMs, year, what you bought it for and what is was sold for?

bjstare
01-05-2017, 01:18 PM
I'm with soloracer.

Two comments:

RE: the story behind the car - this adds very little value. As a buyer, I'm going to assume that the dealer fabricated every one of these stories. If the dealer didn't fabricate it, how are they going to prove that it's actually the story? Wait a minute, who cares. I just want to know the condition, maintenance, km's, crash history.

RE: 10 day test drive - L-OOOO-L. If some prospective buyer has my car for 10 days, you couldn't pay me to take it back. Given that's the case, if thee buyer has it for 10 days and find something hilariously out of place with the car, does Listed then buy it? If so, Listed is then taking on the risk of getting stuck with an inventory of shitboxes they can't sell (as long as they're being honest).

edit: I didn't read the whole thread, turns out others had the same thoughts I did.

listed
01-05-2017, 02:16 PM
We do a 200 - point inspection by a licensed mechanic to make sure everything works as it should. It is nice what kind of owner the car had because we have people that could care less about doing an oil change on time and others that do, as well as keep their records.

2009 Jeep Compass 105,000KM :

Dealer cash offer:$3,330 IMGUR (http://imgur.com/U6zpbf4)
Dealer retail: $8,754 Kijiji example (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-jeep-compass-sport/1203729175?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)
Private retail: $7,250 Kijiji private (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-jeep-compass-sport-suv-crossover/1227336524?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

We gave the seller $6,400
We sold the Jeep: $6,999

Type_S1
01-05-2017, 02:23 PM
We do a 200 - point inspection by a licensed mechanic to make sure everything works as it should. It is nice what kind of owner the car had because we have people that could care less about doing an oil change on time and others that do, as well as keep their records.

2009 Jeep Compass 105,000KM :

Dealer cash offer:$3,330 IMGUR (http://imgur.com/U6zpbf4)
Dealer retail: $8,754 Kijiji example (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-jeep-compass-sport/1203729175?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)
Private retail: $7,250 Kijiji private (http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-jeep-compass-sport-suv-crossover/1227336524?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true)

We gave the seller $6,400
We sold the Jeep: $6,999

Looks like Kijiji is 8-10k so you convince the seller to take 80% of the cars value and sold for under marlet value? This sounds like a great business if you there are a bunch of idiots looking to sell vehicles....

listed
01-05-2017, 02:24 PM
Did you look at what other vehicles are being sold for retail ... on the Carproof.

You have to factor in trim model, features and etc. Private sales you'll end up negotiating, and usually end up with less of your asking price.

There are people that are trading in their cars to dealerships EVERYDAY, they don't list up on Kijiji maybe for convenience or the hassle.

jwslam
01-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
RE: 10 day test drive - L-OOOO-L. If some prospective buyer has my car for 10 days, you couldn't pay me to take it back. Given that's the case, if thee buyer has it for 10 days and find something hilariously out of place with the car, does Listed then buy it? If so, Listed is then taking on the risk of getting stuck with an inventory of shitboxes they can't sell (as long as they're being honest).

edit: I didn't read the whole thread, turns out others had the same thoughts I did.

What if the buyer returns the vehicle before the 10-day grace period?

Once we find a buyer, and help complete the transaction you’re done. The money you get is yours.

Listed offers a 10-day money back guarantee, and if the buyer decides to return it for any reason, Listed will take it back and store it until a new buyer is interested.

bjstare
01-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Yeah, I get it. I addressed that in the second half of my other post.

I'm just saying that model is incredibly risky for Listed. I'm betting that if Listed actually follows through with this, they're going to either be getting stuck with a bunch of shitty cars, or they'll be spending considerable time and effort trying to keep cars in the hands of the buyer and not offer a hassle free refund.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

listed
01-05-2017, 02:56 PM
We have criteria for the vehicles that we take in. Additionally, it must pass our 200-point inspection, if not it fails and we do not list it up on our site.

Most people know the type of vehicle they're looking for. It really is just a matter of price, condition, etc.

I said this in another comment but here it is again paraphrased:

There are already gigantic, nationwide networks of franchise show floors that exist specifically to give shoppers the chance to feel the difference between models of cars, and shoppers who are considering many models. We frequently encourage users who aren’t sure what kind of car they’d like to buy to visit a few show floors. We are sure that shoppers will come back to Listed for the better price and superior service after making their decision.

Mitsu3000gt
01-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Just looking at the Jeep ad because it's still up, but why don't you post interior pictures when you expect people to buy largely sight unseen? It looks like it's had a very rough life from the outside, my first thought was that the interior was in similar shape.

Sounds like the business model is like others have suggested - undercut Kijiji/Auto Trader by 20% or so and make a decent profit on each vehicle, just a bit less than maybe a dealership makes.

listed
01-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Dealerships make enough profit on a car to give you a $500 cheque just for referring your friends... So they make a lot.

We gave the seller of the Jeep $6,400 and was happy with the price, we sold it for $7,000. We still need to cover our expenses for the vehicle. We sent interior photos to the buyer, because on the second day it was posted we had someone interested, and got sold the next day.

This is a car enthusiast forum so people know their cars, usually what it's worth. But, they often put OBO prices, and price drops. So sure they're selling for $7,250 but are willing to take less than that.

Listed is for an average person that may know a bit about cars, and doesn't want to go to a dealership and get lowballed. They may not have the time to use Kijiji, or want the hassle.

Any other questions or comments please PM, i'll be happy to answer them.

HiTempguy1
01-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Everything this guy is posting is perfectly reasonable, you guys are nuts :nut:

Doesn't matter what the guy is offering people, essentially what he is doing is working off the fact that dealers royally SCREW people on trades.

It is kind of brilliant actually. This service can be used as a win-win for both listed and its clients. Clients get way more money (double, in the case of the compass) compared to trade-in, and get zero hassle (the purpose of doing a trade-in to begin with, usually little hassle).

At the end of the day, Listed gets to determine its risk capacity in regards to warranties/test drives/etc. If it works for them, it works for them. A service I would ever use? No, because I know the value of vehicles very well. Unlike 99% of people on the planet, and unlike most people even on this forum :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
01-05-2017, 04:53 PM
It's not quite the same proposition as a dealer because the dealer takes it right away, with this you have to wait until someone buys it or 60 days. So if you're looking to get rid of your vehicle immediately, a regular dealer still offers an advantage (albeit as possibly a lower price). If you're willing to wait up to 60 days anyway, you'd be an idiot not to just sell it on Kijiji/AutoTrader/Beyond for thousands more.

Dealers also play games, where they might be able to offer you more on your trade in, but not give you as good of a deal on the new car, for example. I don't know anyone who traded their car in to a dealer and walked away without working it into the price of a new one.

I feel like the middle ground that this serves occupies way too small. People either want to get rid of their car immediately without a care in the world (Dealer when buying a new one) or they're willing to sell it privately, wait a couple weeks and get top dollar. I've never met anyone that expressed a desire to get a bad price for their car, AND wait to sell it with the added hassle of a guaranteed inspection - it's always been one or the other.

What happens if people sign up, get the inspection, and then decide to back out? Are you under contract for 60 days and can't sell if a better offer comes along? Or did you just get a free inspection?

TomcoPDR
01-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Can we see a merger anytime soon? http://ezcarsandtrucks.com/

Mitsu3000gt
01-05-2017, 05:12 PM
^^ Oh no. Hasn't that 2013 F150 been on there since the last thread on that place? Maybe it just looks similar because he scammed a lot of truck owners.

HiTempguy1
01-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I feel like the middle ground that this serves occupies way too small.

Well, I mean it is working for them :dunno: I'm not really arguing "for" them, just saying that some of the "issues" people are bringing up in this thread are ridiculous. I also think that a lot of you are filling in the gaps with what you THINK happens versus what they actually do/the requirements of their program. Like the "test drive for 10 days" that was explained.

F*&k, I sound like a shill for them lol. Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with their course of action. Is it the best? Meh, that is for them to decide. Maybe it is niche, but maybe they are fine with that.

thetransporter
01-05-2017, 09:44 PM
cool idea u should give free vehicle history like calgaryfinder.com ..not sure if it still works.

soloracer
01-06-2017, 12:37 PM

Well, I mean it is working for them :dunno: I'm not really arguing "for" them, just saying that some of the "issues" people are bringing up in this thread are ridiculous. I also think that a lot of you are filling in the gaps with what you THINK happens versus what they actually do/the requirements of their program. Like the "test drive for 10 days" that was explained.

F*&k, I sound like a shill for them lol. Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with their course of action. Is it the best? Meh, that is for them to decide. Maybe it is niche, but maybe they are fine with that.

What evidence do you have that it is working for them? Two vehicle sales in 6 months? LOL

Tej.S
01-06-2017, 02:20 PM

What evidence do you have that it is working for them? Two vehicle sales in 6 months? LOL

This reminded me of all those classic episodes of Dragon's Den haha. People walking in with delusional evaluations when they've sold hardly any units.

I know this doesn't relate to OP's case, but I can totally picture Kevin saying "HOW DO I MAKE MONEYYYYYYY" :rofl:

Good luck with everything OP :thumbsup: