PDA

View Full Version : RECOVERED: 1990 Chevy Shortbox Stepside Black - BPZ7979

Dalking
12-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Hey everyone sad news :(

My truck was stolen from me last night between midnight- 6am.

It was stolen from marlborough park area.

It's a 1990 Chevy Shortbox Stepside that I loved dearly, plate number BPZ7979
Aluminum mag wheels with winter tires. Lowered in the front.
Had some teal green stickers on the tailgate and back window that said "My neighbors love me" and "Calm y our tits, its stock!".

Please keep an eye out. If you see it, call the police and then give me a call at 4oh346749two4

Would also like to point out in the 8 months or so I've owned this, I've never seen another one like it. So if you see a truck that looks just like this, call the cops.

SPOTTED: 2:30PM Blackfoot Trail Northbound past Coco Brooks
SPOTTED: ROUGHLY 3PM DRIVING PAST LORD BEAVERBROOK HIGH SCHOOL.
SPOTTED: 6:00PM BLACKFOOT TRAIL & 26ST HEADING WESTBOUND

http://i.imgur.com/f1moLEz.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/xSpdN

RECOVERED! 4 months later! WOOT!

speedog
12-01-2016, 07:15 PM
Do hope you get it back intact, definitely a unique ride these days, very nice.

Dalking
12-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Do hope you get it back intact, definitely a unique ride these days, very nice. I do hope so too, took me 2 months of searching to find it. Miss her already!

Dalking
12-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Day 3.

No more spottings since day 1. Still making my way around the city trying to see if it's been dumped somewhere but have not heard anything.

Dalking
12-16-2016, 10:43 PM
It was apparantly spotted in lethbridge today on a trailer being towed by a beat up dodge pickup with bc plates.

Not looking good :( Been 16 days now.

Dalking
01-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Well. A month later she's still gone. Safe to say that I'm probably never getting it back.

But still, keep an eye out when you're out and about. This truck has some sentimental value to me and I'd love to at least get a little piece of it back :(

mr2mike
01-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Super rare especially shortbox stepside.
Keeping an eye out.

J-hop
01-02-2017, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Dalking
Well. A month later she's still gone. Safe to say that I'm probably never getting it back.

But still, keep an eye out when you're out and about. This truck has some sentimental value to me and I'd love to at least get a little piece of it back :(

Really sucks man, love that truck. Any aftermarket parts worth selling on it. Will keep an eye out on kijiji and Craigslist for your wheels and any other bits you had on it they might try to sell

spikerS
01-03-2017, 07:51 PM
Dave, While not getting a real great look at it, being dark and driving at about 100kmph, I think I just spotted it on the left hand holder of northbound Deerwood trail, just before 32nd Ave.

I let the police non emergency line know, and told Jay to let you know.

Can't be many of those Era black step sides around...

J-hop
01-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Here's hoping!

spikerS
01-03-2017, 09:10 PM
oh man, autocorrect schooled me on that post. :rofl:

ercchry
01-03-2017, 09:14 PM
100,000mph is a little excessive :rofl:

spikerS
01-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
100,000mph is a little excessive :rofl:
:rofl:

I actually just got a call from a constable with the CPS and they didn't find the truck, it was gone by the time they got there. They looked around the immediate area, but didn't find it.

He agreed it was probably the truck due to it being a pretty uncommon truck, but it wasn't to be found.

J-hop
01-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Not likely to work but doesn't hurt I guess. Posted a wanted ad

Looking to buy 88-98 gmc/chev stepside on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/looking-to-buy-88-98-gmc-chev-stepside/1228656602?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

I know nothing about those trucks, all correct? Ie year range etc?

Thaco
01-03-2017, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

:rofl:

I actually just got a call from a constable with the CPS and they didn't find the truck, it was gone by the time they got there. They looked around the immediate area, but didn't find it.

He agreed it was probably the truck due to it being a pretty uncommon truck, but it wasn't to be found. shoulda gone back.

italianstylez
01-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Done 👌

ercchry
01-04-2017, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by italianstylez

Should probably delete your post, IF theif is on here or sees this will make them more cautious about contacting if they're dumb enough anyways just my opinion

How does that help if you quoted it? :nut:

J-hop
01-04-2017, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by italianstylez

Should probably delete your post, IF theif is on here or sees this will make them more cautious about contacting if they're dumb enough anyways just my opinion

I highly doubt they're on here and yea as ecchry said if you're worried then you'll need to unquote my post.

Dalking
01-08-2017, 03:22 AM
Spikers - Jay called me that night, thanks for keeping an eye out but the truck in question wasn't mine.

I've actually spotted 2 to 3 that look eerily similar, one of which I had to get out and scrape the ice off his windshield so I could read the vin number.

Going into 1.5 months of being missing, the police have told me I have low odds of retreival. however the police have recently busted a couple people in a car theft ring, have over 2 dozen stolen vehicles and their specialties were stolen trucks.

So.....next week I find out if one of those stolen trucks is mine. Fingers crossed.

Dalking
01-08-2017, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

Really sucks man, love that truck. Any aftermarket parts worth selling on it. Will keep an eye out on kijiji and Craigslist for your wheels and any other bits you had on it they might try to sell I've been on classifieds religiously.

I really doubt my stereo and wheels will be left if it is found, the engine was stock, it had aftermarket exhaust...roll pan...i mean, it was nothing out of the ordinary.

However being a shortbox stepside in such good condition it was still a valuable truck and to replace it looking at spending 5 grand for somethign comparable, so I can definitely see why someone would have lifted it from me.

Ahh well, here's to hoping!

Dalking
01-08-2017, 03:25 AM
Not likely to work but doesn't hurt I guess. Posted a wanted ad

Looking to buy 88-98 gmc/chev stepside on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/looking-to-buy-88-98-gmc-chev-stepside/1228656602?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

I know nothing about those trucks, all correct? Ie year range etc? Hey man, thanks for making that I really do appreciate it.

Please do let me know if you get any bites!

J-hop
01-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Hey man, thanks for making that I really do appreciate it.

Please do let me know if you get any bites!

For sure, I'll make a new ad every so often to keep it near the top. Only had one guy repond and send pics so far but it was a guy asking if I would be interested in his 04' step side.

Dalking
03-22-2017, 11:30 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to share, that I recovered my truck today. Pick n Pull on 52st purchased it as scrap. Going through the whole police/media/law process right now, but she's safe and sound in my garage.

Funny enough, it still had my license plate on it.

http://imgur.com/gallery/xSpdN

What had happened was - I drove by pick n pull after getting supplies for my biz, and saw the back end of my truck in the front parking lot. So I pulled in and got a closer look, sure enough it's my truck.

I have the owners/management of pick n pull saying to me it was okay to buy a vehicle without proof of ownership/vin checks.

It had also been booked/processed and was getting ready to go into the yard for parts tomorrow morning.

Had I not driven by and seen it, I would have lost it forever!!

speedog
03-22-2017, 11:49 PM
Sure glad you got it back, what a fluke to find it the way you did. If you can, post up information on whom PnP may have purchased it from.

D'z Nutz
03-22-2017, 11:54 PM
Holy crap! Glad to hear you got it back. How bad was the damage?

Dalking
03-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Holy crap! Glad to hear you got it back. How bad was the damage? Brake drums are completely missing. Both doors dented one door gouged open from the theft. Ignition column smashed, all the stereo is gone, the battery is missing, wheels are gone, some denting/damage underneath from the front end loader/tow truck.

A 'cash for cars' tow truck outfit bought it from someone in abbeydale, 5 minutes away from me. And then came and sold it to pick n pull.

Dalking
03-23-2017, 12:20 AM
Sure glad you got it back, what a fluke to find it the way you did. If you can, post up information on whom PnP may have purchased it from. I'll have a write up / video about it all tomorrow. I've been dealing with this since 4pm and I'm a little tired out lol. Need to unwind for a bit and process it all

toastgremlin
03-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Good to know that you apparently don't need any proof of ownership to sell a car to the wreckers. Wow, that is super sketchy!

Glad you got the truck back even if it is beat up. I hope the cops are following up on this.

Kijho
03-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Just saw on Reddit, so fucked man :eek: Glad you have it back, though. Are you basically going to work on fixing everything now?

Disoblige
03-23-2017, 07:46 AM
Was the truck insured with theft coverage back in December? If so, I'm curious what happens in situations like this when the truck is found, but damaged. Assuming there was a payout for the truck being stolen in the first place.

Nice to see the truck recovered though, and hope they can trace the paperwork and track the fucker.

mazdavirgin
03-23-2017, 09:25 AM
:dunno: Damn that's so sketch... Wonder how many other cars have been stolen and then chopped at pick&pull. No way this is the first time or a an exception to the norm.

The fact they were trying to prevent you from saving your truck is also all sorts of sketch. What was the plan there? Wreck it before the cops showed up?

D'z Nutz
03-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
The fact they were trying to prevent you from saving your truck is also all sorts of sketch. What was the plan there? Wreck it before the cops showed up?

I think you misinterpreted something somewhere. I got the impression it was ready to be put out as a donor car, not destroyed to hide evidence.

R154
03-23-2017, 09:38 AM
Probably not that insiduous.

They paid for something. Don't want that money being forfeited. I sincerely doubt that they purposely go after stolen vehicles, but, they probably don't ask many questions.

Wage workers just trying to do their job.

mazdavirgin
03-23-2017, 10:01 AM
I think you misinterpreted something somewhere. I got the impression it was ready to be put out as a donor car, not destroyed to hide evidence.

I find it weird he had to prevent them from taking the truck when he had clearly stated to them that it was stolen and that the cops were on their way... What was the plan on their part?

Thaco
03-23-2017, 10:23 AM

I find it weird he had to prevent them from taking the truck when he had clearly stated to them that it was stolen and that the cops were on their way... What was the plan on their part? anybody could walk up and claim its theirs...

D'z Nutz
03-23-2017, 10:25 AM

I find it weird he had to prevent them from taking the truck when he had clearly stated to them that it was stolen and that the cops were on their way... What was the plan on their part?

Where does it say that in his posts? :dunno:

J-hop
03-23-2017, 10:44 AM
It's kinda crazy when you think pnp is so close to being a chop shop. I am so damn surprised it isn't standard procedure to run the plate or vin through CPIC. It is free to do for effs sake.......

OP so glad you got your truck back. Funny by putting up that fake ad and seeing some of the pictures people sent me I really want one now haha.

BokCh0y
03-23-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm happy you got your truck back, that is a crazy story!!!

Please post updates.

mazdavirgin
03-23-2017, 10:48 AM

Where does it say that in his posts? :dunno:

evolize[S] 27 points 5 hours ago

It's unbelievable honestly. I couldn't have made this stuff up if I tried. I'm just glad I live streamed most of it on to facebook, it might come in handy when I start opening up my pursuit of justice :D

[–]evolize[S] 33 points 5 hours ago

It took the cops an hour to get there, it was 2 minutes out of forest lawn. I was on the phone with 911 while the loader operator was trying to pick up my truck, standing on the forks of it to prevent him from taking my truck from me, while yelling at the workers and it took 25 minutes from that time for a cop to come.

Was kind of crappy

[–]evolize[S] 22 points 5 hours ago

Yeah I tried to video record as much as I could. I have a video of my yelling match with the old woman that told me it was okay to buy vehicles without a proper proof of ownership / vin checks. I'm going to have to enhance the audio levels on that and possibly sub title it and bleep out my f bombs :P

This is my story I have posted on facebook. If it wasn't for me driving by at that exact moment, I'd have never seen my truck again. Coincidence has it, that I was picking up packing materials to ship my stores product out. On the way home, I drove past Pick N Pull on 52st se. I looked in the parking lot as I was driving by, and spotted a black chevy truck with a teal green sticker on the tailgate, looked awfully familiar. I locked up the brakes, pulled into an adjascent parking lot and booked it over there and looked at the truck. Yep, it was my 1990 GMC Sierra Shortbox Stepside that had been stolen from me December 1st, last year. Almost 4 months missing. I yelled at the people in the parking lot (The workers) "Hey! That's my stolen truck, oh my god that's my truck!". That was met with "No it isn't, it's our truck we just bought it." Well, according to the management/owners of Calgary Pick n Pull at 2704 52st SE - They are not required by law to have any proof of ownership of the vehicle, nor are they required to perform a VIN check on the said vehicle they are buying. As I was waiting for the police, they rushed one of the yard workers to pick the truck up with a giant forklift loader. He got the forks nearly under my truck, so I stood in front of it and didn't move. I knew he wasn't going to pick the truck up with me on it. They were trying to move it to the back of the yard as it was "their truck" and they didn't want to deal with the situation, they wanted to lock up and go home, and look at the problem tomorrow. Well, I didn't move. I made them wait. They tried to get the truck but I wouldn't move off the loader. Eventually they gave up. So, the cops came and told me after some time, that I was able to arrange towing for my truck. In the meantime some people came to hang out incase I needed any help, and my awesome sister used her AMA membership on me for the 4th time, and 2nd time with this truck to get it home. LOL. So what's funny is that it was brought into PnP on one of those Scrap Car Tow Truck companies - he bought it from someone in abbeydale. This was also the third stolen car he had purchased and dropped off to Pick n Pull, and from what I hear, multiple vehicles that were stolen have made it into the yard for parts. (Cannot confirm, this is just what I hear). PnP had also marked, logged and begun prepping my truck to be put into the parts yard. All that was left was to take out the gas tank/rear diff/oils etc. My truck has all the yellow crayon logging identifyers on it. So, for them to say they were going to check the VIN number is completely assanine, they would have had that completed before the vehicle was dropped off of the tow truck or before they logged it into the books for the yard inventory (I used to do this at bucks auto, im familiar with the process. We used to vin check everything there). I am sorry for the long read here, all in all nearly 4 months later I got my stolen truck back. It's missing wheels, the brakes are all done, the engine has no fluids in it, the wheels are gone, the inside was completely tore out of any electronics, the door needs to be replaced, and the steering column is smashed to bits. But at least I have my truck back.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xSpdN#apAsTj7

D'z Nutz
03-23-2017, 11:06 AM
https://imgur.com/gallery/xSpdN#apAsTj7

There wasn't any text when I clicked on the link last night though, just pics but holy fuck that's crazy! :eek:

Disoblige
03-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Hope it makes it on the news. Reddit is a credible source of information used by reporters right? :D

nismodrifter
03-23-2017, 12:08 PM
holy poopers crazy story

Dalking
03-23-2017, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Hope it makes it on the news. Reddit is a credible source of information used by reporters right? :D Every news outlet has reached out to me this morning. I got a grand total of 3 hours sleep, everyone was phoning me to tell me that it quite literally blew up. Was not expecting it.

v2kai
03-23-2017, 01:33 PM
just heard about this on the radio, story is blowing up

mazdavirgin
03-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Well it made the metronews

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2017/03/23/calgary-man-finds-stolen-truck-at-pick-n-pull-junkyard.html

pdm111
03-23-2017, 06:05 PM
Global news has a piece on it for their 6 o'clock news

J-hop
03-23-2017, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by pdm111

Just caught the last half. Yea that double standard for businesses is a huge hole in the system.

Didn't see anyone from pnp. Did they make a comment?

BokCh0y
03-23-2017, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by pdm111

Just saw the story on the news, thanks for the heads up.

Just caught the last half. Yea that double standard for businesses is a huge hole in the system.

Didn't see anyone from pnp. Did they make a comment?

PnP declined to comment and the tow truck company said it wasn't them that towed the truck to PnP.

SCHIDER23
03-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Wow glad you got it back, who needs a chop shop when you can do it right in the open lol

RickDaTuner
03-23-2017, 08:39 PM
This is pretty insane, I've sold old beater cars to pick n pull in the past, and brought all sorts of documentation to prove ownership.

I feel that the registries should introduce a dismantling title/permit, and PnP require you to obtain one before buying it...

I would be beyond angry if that were me.

Glad you have your car back, sorry for the damage and the missing parts.

dj_rice
03-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Oh shit. Vape Dave. I didn't know that was your truck. Crazy! Glad you got it back. Skyline is gone?

J-hop
03-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Just saw the story on the news, thanks for the heads up.

PnP declined to comment and the tow truck company said it wasn't them that towed the truck to PnP.

Thanks, another case where "holy shit my laziness and don't care attitude towards my job caught up to me, better duck out"

Dave's vid on Facebook was great. Love when the lady tries to tell him they need to move the truck. "Fuck you" really was the only possible response in that situation.

roopi
03-23-2017, 10:15 PM
Global story:

http://globalnews.ca/news/3331270/calgary-reddit-post-on-how-stolen-truck-ended-up-at-pick-n-pull-raises-regulation-questions/amp/

NoPulp
03-24-2017, 06:08 AM
Saw your story on the news this morning!
Pretty shitty stuff on the towing company and pick n pull. As if the system isn't already against the victim. Pretty damn lucky you got the truck back!

The_Penguin
03-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Definitely a case of WTF? for sure. Glad to see it got some media coverage.

RickDaTuner
03-24-2017, 08:52 AM
The media has really taken off with this story, it's all over my news feeds!

I wonder if this will lead to more stolen cars dumped at PnP, or more awareness.
Sadly it'll more than likely be the prior.

BokCh0y
03-24-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanks, another case where "holy shit my laziness and don't care attitude towards my job caught up to me, better duck out"

Dave's vid on Facebook was great. Love when the lady tries to tell him they need to move the truck. "Fuck you" really was the only possible response in that situation.

I don't have fb so i can't see his vid haha.

Can someone host it please? Would love to see it. Thanks.

J-hop
03-24-2017, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
The media has really taken off with this story, it's all over my news feeds!

I wonder if this will lead to more stolen cars dumped at PnP, or more awareness.
Sadly it'll more than likely be the prior.

I kind of doubt it but I'm an optimist. I feel pnp might re-evaluate their policies a bit and I think people trying to ditch stolen vehicles are going to try to avoid them now that the heat is on.

A CPIC is a free search that takes about 5 seconds per vehicle so I bet someone is tabling that idea right now after all the bad press so they can come out with a statement saying "they've re-evaluated their policies and procedures and have implemented processes to prevent this in the future"

RickDaTuner
03-24-2017, 10:28 AM

I kind of doubt it but I'm an optimist. I feel pnp might re-evaluate their policies a bit and I think people trying to ditch stolen vehicles are going to try to avoid them now that the heat is on.

A CPIC is a free search that takes about 5 seconds per vehicle so I bet someone is tabling that idea right now after all the bad press so they can come out with a statement saying "they've re-evaluated their policies and procedures and have implemented processes to prevent this in the future"

I just find it puzzling why they wouldn't have done this to begin with, did they choose to turn a blind a eye to legal ramifications on their part?

I kinda feel like CPS should audit them, I wonder how many stolen cars would be recovered.

I use cpic religiously now, after being burned when buying a broken but stolen vehicle.

Always sobering to be reminded how shifty people, and business can be in this city

The_Penguin
03-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner

I kinda feel like CPS should audit them, I wonder how many stolen cars would be recovered.

A team of Beyond CSIers should go there, and record a bunch of VINs and run 'em.

Dalking
03-24-2017, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

A team of Beyond CSIers should go there, and record a bunch of VINs and run 'em. There is a bunch of people doing that, all over calgary and edmonton and other cities and even some people in the US.

This facility is under some heavy investigation by multiple organisations right now, and I'm pushing to have a law/regulation in place to require all these types of business(es) to require VIN checks upon vehicle purchase so that this doesn't happen to someone else.

As I said before, I got extremely lucky that I was able to spot my truck there.

Dalking
03-24-2017, 01:13 PM
CBC Uncovered, as well as officially stated by AMVIC - that this Pick N Pull was not licensed by AMVIC.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stolen-truck-calgary-dave-lawrence-pick-n-pull-1.4038977

The_Penguin
03-24-2017, 02:15 PM
CBC Uncovered, as well as officially stated by AMVIC - that this Pick N Pull was not licensed by AMVIC.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/stolen-truck-calgary-dave-lawrence-pick-n-pull-1.4038977

Kudos to CBC for getting more of the details than Global etc. did earlier.

adidas
03-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin

A team of Beyond CSIers should go there, and record a bunch of VINs and run 'em.

...in the hopes of returning someone's 1970's VW Beetle?

JRSC00LUDE
03-24-2017, 03:22 PM
I thought you'd have a beard.

Dalking
03-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I thought you'd have a beard. Nah. I'm just your ordinary fat ugly white dude who can't grow a beard. Sorry to disappoint.

J-hop
03-24-2017, 06:15 PM
I imagine you can't talk about details or haven't been told to many details but do you know if the police tracked down who sold the car to the towing company/pnp

FixedGear
03-24-2017, 06:18 PM
Glad you got it back dude, but it's too bad it's totally trashed. Hopefully it won't cost too much to repair.

Dalking
03-25-2017, 03:34 AM
I imagine you can't talk about details or haven't been told to many details but do you know if the police tracked down who sold the car to the towing company/pnp I have details, but in interest of the legistlation we're trying to bring forth, and the fact that there are 3 major organizations still investigating I can't speak of what I know until it's wrapped up.

speedog
03-25-2017, 08:34 AM
Just watched your Facebook videos and I have to thank you for this morning's first laugh - I just so wish I could've been there in person, what must've happened after the second FB video had to have been been quite entertaining. Btw, I still have that alternator that you can have for free, should bolt right in but be aware it's just a 75 amp unit.

Dalking
03-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Just watched your Facebook videos and I have to thank you for this morning's first laugh - I just so wish I could've been there in person, what must've happened after the second FB video had to have been been quite entertaining. Btw, I still have that alternator that you can have for free, should bolt right in but be aware it's just a 75 amp unit.

Glad I could be of service lol! I might take you up on that. First I have to get the truck off the ground - and see if my frame is okay. I know I might need some front end parts, my passenger front wheel has a lot of positive camber and toe problems, I am told the truck WAS picked up with a forklift before I got there, so it could have some bent parts.

revelations
03-29-2017, 08:44 AM
I have details, but in interest of the legistlation we're trying to bring forth, and the fact that there are 3 major organizations still investigating I can't speak of what I know until it's wrapped up.

Are you in contact with your MLA? Sounds like this is a case the NDP might want to take on as part of their public stance for helping the "little people" (not just corporations).

Black Gts
04-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Are they currently burning other evidence?

Thaco
04-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Black Gts
Are they currently burning other evidence? fire wasnt at PNP:rofl: