PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with my Media Streaming Device

nonofyobiz
12-03-2016, 07:43 PM
So I bought a Intel Compute Stick from Memory Express after the sales person SOLD it to me, telling me he was running it and it was great yada yada.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX62102

Running Windows 10, and connects to WIFI (i would have preferred a wired connection)
Also I installed Bitdefender internet security on it (is this even neccessary with it being behind a router?)

I'm running Kodi on it for streaming either from my computer or internet.

Sometimes it works well, but most of the time I have trouble.
Sometimes I have to select a stream or file many many times before it will actually play properly. Sometimes it starts up and the video is screwed up - jittery etc. Most of the time it's a problem with the audio, it is either way out of sync or really garbled.

I'm wondering if the thing just doesn't have the processing power?
Or could it be something to do with the WiFi, router?

I could buy a Ethernet to USB adapter but if the problem is with the processor or video chip just being shit then I'm wasting my money.

I also have a Minix Neo x8 connected to my other TV and it is a wired connection, running Android and it doesn't seem to have a problem.

THoughts?

Thaco
12-03-2016, 07:48 PM
this is a thing of shitty torrent streams, welcome to the underworld

nonofyobiz
12-03-2016, 09:40 PM
no problems on the main computer or Minix

colsankey
12-03-2016, 09:53 PM
I have no experience with that device, but are you doing anything other than streaming? If not, consider taking it back and grabbing a chromecast.

revelations
12-03-2016, 10:07 PM
Get rid of any extraneous programs - including shit that is pre-installed. You're dealing with a device that probably has less processing power than most smart phones and cant handle an AV program ACTIVELY interfering with shit. If you MUST have an AV program, disable any real-time stuff and just schedule a scan once a week or so.

Second, are you running your media WIFI direct from a shit-box Shaw or Telus unit? If so thats also a huge problem.

Recca168
12-03-2016, 10:08 PM
Looking at the chip specs it should be fine for playback. There's even hardware support to play 4K content. Try playing a movie off a USB drive and see if it performs better. That'll at least tell you if its the WIFI or not

nonofyobiz
12-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Get rid of any extraneous programs - including shit that is pre-installed. You're dealing with a device that probably has less processing power than most smart phones and cant handle an AV program ACTIVELY interfering with shit. If you MUST have an AV program, disable any real-time stuff and just schedule a scan once a week or so.

Second, are you running your media WIFI direct from a shit-box Shaw or Telus unit? If so thats also a huge problem.

I think i will uninstall the BitDefender and just make sure I don't log in to any websites from there.
I wish there was a guide out there for optimizing windows 10 to be barebones type thing for using as a HTPC.

I was also wondering if Linux would be better, although I have no experience using it.

I have a pretty good router I purchased in the last 12 months.

revelations
12-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Yea W10 could certainly be made lighter.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/windows-10-lite/

Also check that Defender is turned off - you may have to make a registry adjustment for that though:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5918-windows-defender-turn-off-windows-10-a.html (look at OPTION 2).

Also, just in case - run a speedtest on the unit.