PDA

View Full Version : Learn to 3M/Tint

Cody D
12-08-2016, 12:06 AM
Hello all, I would like to know the best way to learn how to apply 3M/Tint. I've wanted to learn for a while. Do I just watch youtube videos and fumble my way through a couple attempts? Is there someone who offers a class locally?

Where do I purchase supplies?

Thanks.

RealJimmyJames
12-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Get Jeff The Car Guy to teach you.

benyl
12-08-2016, 04:20 PM
I think shadow tint has a school.

nobb
12-08-2016, 07:24 PM
It definitely takes experience. I bought precut tint and clear film for my car when it was new and it's a huge PITA! Never done it before, but I wanted to try it.

I think for a noob, it's ok to attempt the exterior wrap by yourself as long as you buy the stuff pre-cut. It's not rocket science and as long as you have *some* hand eye co-ordination and common sense, it should turn out ok. You might get a bit of imperfection/dust here and there, but I don't think that's a big deal on the outside.

Tint is another story. Bubbles and imperfections in tint are HIGHLY obvious, IMO. Despite my best efforts, I could not get a perfect tint job. I ended up taking it to a professional.

Clear film, I would DIY again. Tint should go straight to the pros unless you don't care about imperfections.

dj_rice
12-08-2016, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I think shadow tint has a school.

I believe that's where my dealership sent our Detail/3M guys to for training as well

Cody D
12-09-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys, I found a place called Shadow Shield that has a course that they offer it's five days for $1500. I think I'll give that a shot.

As for Shadow Tint, I used to live near Nuno when he owned it and he had told me he trained people, I'll call them and see if the new owners still offer courses.

benyl
12-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Shadow shield and shadow tint are the same company.

tint is retail location, shield is the school and the wholesale supplier.

Cody D
12-10-2016, 10:23 AM
I guess that makes sense, haha. Thanks for the information.