PDA

View Full Version : best way to ship 37inch commercial plasma screen? (materials)

thetransporter
12-09-2016, 12:21 AM
best way to ship 37inch plasma screen? (materials)

i have to ship a panasonic 37 inch commercial plasma to Georgia

i dont have the box for it and it must go ups.

TH-37PWD7 weight 25 KG
no speakers
no base will be shipped

does anyone know of source get proper packaging materials? should i build it a woodbox?

uhaul Has a box but its for moving only and then you stuff blankets in it.

i did ship two of 50inch version of the units but each attempt failed in the past and I did use not their original boxes. UPS drops them as much as 10 feet from what the UPS driver told me .

or should I not ship this at all?

The_Rural_Juror
12-09-2016, 07:15 AM
Try Intercom. They only drop them from 5 feet.

R-Audi
12-09-2016, 09:52 AM
Try asking for a box at Bestbuy... and make sure you get insurance over the value. (They always try to beat you down a bit)

Mitsu3000gt
12-09-2016, 09:59 AM
U-Haul, Home Depot, etc. sell TV moving kits that it sounds like you're already aware of. You could then insert Styrofoam or some similar material throughout the box to support the glass - that's the key. Assume it will be dropped and/or very roughly handled multiple times both by humans and automated sorting facilities when you pack it.

Personally I just wouldn't ship it, or buy shipping insurance for it an assume you will be going through the enormous headache of making a claim (I think they will have to pack it for you in that case depending on the courier).

I think they take a lot less abuse when they are shipped over here on a plane/boat on a pallet of 40 or whatever, but who knows. Their factory packaging is usually pretty good too with support in all the right places.

thetransporter
12-11-2016, 05:28 PM
i shipped this to WA state , very close to Calgary. this was the 50inch version, Panasonic commercial ,

i had even used those corner pieces they use with washing machines to protect it.
UPS denied the claim saying flatscreen tvs are except or something

UPS workers look like they drag the boxes..

https://snag.gy/2WpxzK.jpg
https://snag.gy/v8pyeH.jpg
https://snag.gy/p4ULOG.jpg

jacky4566
12-11-2016, 06:52 PM
How much is a "commercial" 37in plasma worth? Surely it must be easier to sell it locally and send your receiver the money to buy another unit. My assumption would be shipping is half the cost of the tv?

botox
12-11-2016, 08:16 PM
I would find a box for like a 42" and build a wood frame inside of it and add extra support for the corners. Make sure to add handles cause you know it's just one guy delivering it. Even if the shipments are heavy courier companies don't send two guys, it's always one......so yeah dragging and dropping is pretty much standard practice. Good luck on the shipment.

RickDaTuner
12-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Make a bracket for the wall mount anchors, attach to a plywood sheet slight larger than the tx dimensions, pack with foam and then label box as glass, and include upright stickers on it.

Declare it as silver backed antique glass...

Should arrive safely...

JRSC00LUDE
12-12-2016, 02:20 PM
I just think it's funny someone named "thetransporter" needs shipping advice.

thetransporter
12-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I just think it's funny someone named "thetransporter" needs shipping advice.

i am learning best ways from others; the username is from the movie The Transporter
im not a know it all, nothing is wrong with asking questions, maybe someone on here had some cool prebuilt containers for sale . but I have found the answers, woodframe/boxes

thetransporter
12-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
Make a bracket for the wall mount anchors, attach to a plywood sheet slight larger than the tx dimensions, pack with foam and then label box as glass, and include upright stickers on it.

Declare it as silver backed antique glass...

Should arrive safely...

Originally posted by botox
I would find a box for like a 42" and build a wood frame inside of it and add extra support for the corner

Thank you, plywood was the key answer and I was thinking that.

thetransporter
12-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
How much is a "commercial" 37in plasma worth? Surely it must be easier to sell it locally and send your receiver the money to buy another unit. My assumption would be shipping is half the cost of the tv?

these are same TVs you would see at restaurants (earls 16th ave) , airport, events. so yes they are commercial. They are not the disposable type and have long hours. The clients were were TV Stations and sent me a label.

but the last one. Just the 65 inch left but that will go freight which is a different story all together.