PDA

View Full Version : Review: Pampa Brazilian Steakhouse

TomcoPDR
12-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Had a chance to hang with a group at Pampa Brazilian Steakhouse
521 10 Avenue SW
(i.e. National on 10th, old Mother tucker's)
http://pampasteakhouse.com/calgary/

No worry kids, went with a large group of 10-12, so mandatory tipping was built into the split. Though a little mindfucked from last week's precautionary tales (by Beyonders) of the restaurant industry and their treatment of their customer's food if they feel 35%+ tips isn't going to be earned. (movie: "Waiting" kept popping in my mind), almost didn't even wanted to go.

I'd say this was such an educated choice of venue to hop back on the dining experience once again. Given their generously bright aquarium like atmosphere lending up to, to entering these grand 9-10 foot tall giant glass doors.

Not sure if it's just Christmas month, they handled 4-5 large tables with ease.

Like any Brazilian rodizio foreplay, salad bar is always a must. Presentation is fancy (I'd say I like theirs the best over Gaucho, Bolero and Mina's), however, I'd still prefer salad bars at Gaucho (their smoked salmon), Bolero for solid choices, Mina's for their dessert variety.

Before that commence, washing of the hands is always good practice. After a cleansing, as I walk towards the salad bar, couldn't help but notice their choice of wallpaper within their décor.

The entire place is covered in wallpaper of these majestic harras of galloping horses. For some reason, every single one of them has their juicy rump staring into your hungry eyes.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/01eb625217ea19ff5dd30a4d05f1edc323c18f0bb4_zpsv3mwfnet.jpg~original
(photo from Pampa website)

When it came to the main course, no complaints on taste (I like their bacon wrapped chicken the best), but selection was low, the group found themselves going through 4th-5th time of the same item pretty quick. (IMO, still can't beat Bolero's bbq pineapple, and many flavour of wings)

Nobody really even let the plates get full before chowing down.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/01026e6ffea60cb199d209f5af0d1ec017680cfb78_zpsapa6oz7e.jpg~original

Even the fake vegans within the group soon found themselves stuffing their face full of sausage. You know, the type that over plate with salad claims they're trying to get light, but ends up wasting half the plate of everything.

Now the service, actually, I'd say pretty much all of these Brazilian places in town (Mina's, Bolero, Gaucho, Pampa) have high above average to excellent/perfect service. However, I'd say Pampa would be above the rest for presentation of service. From kitchen outfits (when the chefs come out, they're not those grumpy types, they're excited; same with Bolero guys too though)... The waiters and waitresses left such an enriched ethnic experience, almost motivated me to binge watch Dora, in Spanish when I got home to learn such a hospitable culture.

The guys doing the skewers had such coordination between them, never missed a guest through the chaos with our big table. Some of the younger guys were rocking perfectly trimmed Spanish 'tashes, with their matching bullfighting red scarfs, might even have you mistaken you were being seduced by a gang of Matadors personalized lining up awaiting to serve you their meat.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/Past%20repairs/011d7e5926f43b1349e407e7be44e700287abadc97_zpshml4w0l7.jpg~original

Xtrema
12-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Love their 25% off dinner or BOGO Lunches coupons if they are still handing them out like candies. Pampa being newest, got the best decor.

Gaucho still #1, this is close 2nd. Bolero got the Pineapple but I found them not as tasty. Never tried Mina's.

Disoblige
12-12-2016, 02:35 AM
Never tried Pampa yet, but had Mina's back in July and thought it was great. I am a huge, huge fan of hearts, and they had chicken hearts there on the skewer. I had so many, haha.

Since it was my first time, I thought they had mini donuts specifically for Stampede, but turns out they have them regularly. So good.

Skyline_Addict
12-12-2016, 02:50 AM
Bewwwwwwbs.

I enjoy your satirical writing style.

dj_rice
12-12-2016, 07:10 AM
At least they aren't in a sweater this time