PDA

View Full Version : Will you go back to oil and gas?

Pages : [1] 2 3

finboy
12-12-2016, 10:02 AM
With pipeline announcements and OPEC cuts, a lot of people I have talked with are optimistic about 2017. I've heard from quite a few that were laid off that they wouldn't go back to o&g, which made me wonder if this is another "I'm moving to Canada if xxxxxxx is elected"

If 2017 sees a slow return to footlong subs and ecoboosts for everyone, will you jump back to o&g?

Nufy
12-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Money will rule once again...

I am still in O&G...

I may look for a better position if one becomes available.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Currently still in O&G. Wouldn't mind jumping ship if I could find something.

pheoxs
12-12-2016, 11:53 AM
Never left. Was able to move up quite a ways during this downturn as fodder was cut away.

Kloubek
12-12-2016, 11:55 AM
I think that most people who might have found careers elsewhere during the downturn will return to O&G. I believe this for two reasons:
1) Their previous experience translates directly into future positions. This is from both a personal comfort level, as well as the ability to utilize their existing knowledge
2) Money. Unlikely people are able to make the same they were when they had an O&G job.

Mitsu3000gt
12-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Currently in O&G. Would leave if there was something more stable, but with the same pay, benefits, and work/life balance. Finding that is extremely difficult, especially in Alberta, so I'm probably a lifer haha.

ickyflex
12-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Until tech is a more relevant thing here than nope not leaving O&G.

austic
12-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Currently in O&G. Would leave if there was something more stable, but with the same pay, benefits, and work/life balance. Finding that is extremely difficult, especially in Alberta, so I'm probably a lifer haha.

:werd:

ExtraSlow
12-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Would leave O&G in a heartbeat if I could find something I was interested in, but turns out I actually find petroleum super fascinating to me. :dunno:

suntan
12-12-2016, 12:31 PM
So do I...

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-5lfnWr0XVQw/TjAmX9QqQlI/AAAAAAAAKp8/XC3-NNlpmlc/sexy%252520girls%252520in%252520oil%252520swimsuits%252520surfers%2525205_thumb.jpg

Swank
12-12-2016, 01:01 PM
My job isn't industry specific, just so happened that the first career was in oil and gas. I'm happy anywhere that pays the bills comfortably and wouldn't leave where I am now.

spikerS
12-12-2016, 01:09 PM
do you think that with the O&G sector pushing back salaries 30 and 40% that that same money will be made available again?

msommers
12-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Nope.

finboy
12-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
do you think that with the O&G sector pushing back salaries 30 and 40% that that same money will be made available again?

For current staff or new hires? Two different answers imo

Mitsu3000gt
12-12-2016, 02:15 PM

Only when the employment situation improves to the point to where good employees have a choice of where to work again. As long as there is still 300+ unemployed people willing to take your job at a lower rate of pay, there is no incentive for companies to give you your 2014 salary back. I consider myself very lucky to be working right now.

dirtsniffer
12-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Haven't left...

Disoblige
12-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Still in O&G, never left. Kinda jaded in this industry. Probably won't leave for a while until I hit the jackpot or get lucky in the stock market. 2 mill is all I need :D

bjstare
12-12-2016, 03:25 PM
The money will absolutely come back, assuming oil price does. If oil price comes back, investment increases, demand for skilled workers increases. As demand increases, wages will as well.

This will be exaggerated because of all the people that have left the industry / province. I know a few people in the engineering side of the resource industry that say they're going to be royally screwed if they win work, Becuase they will have a hard time staffing jobs.

duaner
12-12-2016, 03:50 PM
I hate O&G. Nothing about it interests me, other than how much to fill the car. I hope I never have to go back into it but if I absolutely have to, I will, since I can still do the work. Been off for 11 1/2 months.

Xtrema
12-12-2016, 05:06 PM

Yup.

Eventually, there will be a rush again and $ get talents and get things done faster, pure and simple.

The question is if we are going to keep operating at $50-$60 or Trump is going to destabilize the world for the price to accelerate faster.

SKR
12-12-2016, 06:10 PM
I came back, just because it's what I know.

I also think the money will come back, and it might be sooner than later. On the other hand, now that oil is climbing, everybody is firing up rigs so it won't take long for us to wreck it again.

nickyh
12-12-2016, 06:32 PM
I'm hoping for some greener grass to appear in 2017. I'm feeling pretty jaded these days and see 2017 as a year of many adjustments.
Never left O&G

adamc
12-12-2016, 06:46 PM
I left and moved to the other side of the country. Making less than half the money I did in O&G.
Would very seriously consider flying back and forth, if the opportunity came back. Probably work very hard for a few years and invest in other businesses outside of oil.

Lifestyle is much better now, but what good is lifestyle when you can't ball out of control?

max_boost
12-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
The money will absolutely come back, assuming oil price does. If oil price comes back, investment increases, demand for skilled workers increases. As demand increases, wages will as well.

This will be exaggerated because of all the people that have left the industry / province. I know a few people in the engineering side of the resource industry that say they're going to be royally screwed if they win work, Becuase they will have a hard time staffing jobs.

Will everyone keep balling outta control or will they save it this time :bigpimp:

ExtraSlow
12-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Savings are for suckers, HELOC ALL THE THINGS!!!

Sugarphreak
12-12-2016, 07:49 PM

schurchill39
12-13-2016, 09:52 AM
O&G is all I know. I find it fascinating although the cyclical nature is very stressful. My wife is an environmental engineer and although some of her projects are interesting I don't see myself doing something like that all the time as anything her line of work does seems to take forever and has to have a million people look at it.

I don't think the big money is coming back any time soon (decade). O&G will probably always be slightly higher paying but I don't think we will see times where young dummies like me will once again have more money than brains.

As of right now I am happy to be employed and able to pay my bills. There have been some slight adjustments in my life but far less than most of my peers so I am thankful for that.

Buster
12-13-2016, 10:03 AM
In ten years, when there is another boom time of some kind, there will be a generation of new bucks who will be saying "what crash, oil will never go below XXXX again" or "I make so much money at 26 because I am a genius and deserve it, nothing to do with a commodity boom. where's my C63?"

and all of you will be the grizzled old vets saying: ""imma save my money"

Swank
12-13-2016, 10:18 AM
^That's the Alberta way :D

Feruk
12-13-2016, 10:29 AM

30% to 40% on existing employees or even new hires? I don't think so... Maybe a small percentage of specific field-related jobs, but on average across the industry, no way. I'm in O&G in the office and hardly know anyone who has taken a pay cut. Even new hires are coming in at similar salaries.

msommers
12-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Buster
In ten years, when there is another boom time of some kind, there will be a generation of new bucks who will be saying "what crash, oil will never go below XXXX again" or "I make so much money at 26 because I am a genius and deserve it, nothing to do with a commodity boom. where's my C63?"

I had a good laugh at this! Too true. :rofl:

RealJimmyJames
12-13-2016, 10:42 AM
Pay cuts in the office have been nowhere near 30-40%. Probably average is around 5%, since a huge number of people didn't' take any cut.

Field consultants have dropped 50% in many cases, If you wanted a blended average, I have no idea how you'd figure that out.

flipstah
12-13-2016, 11:28 AM

10 years from now, we'll have jet packs!

Xtrema
12-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
Pay cuts in the office have been nowhere near 30-40%. Probably average is around 5%, since a huge number of people didn't' take any cut.

Field consultants have dropped 50% in many cases, If you wanted a blended average, I have no idea how you'd figure that out.

No way any employer will try to cut wages by 30-40% and keep you around (they may reduce or remove bonus).

They will probably increase your work load by reducing head count. Until you can't take it no more, then they may hire someone back at 30-40% less or contractor at 50% off for temp workload relief.

brucebanner
12-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Haven't left, trades worker. Would love to make the jump to the client side instead of contractor. So I've been trying to work on making myself look like a better candidate than others but chances are probably as good as winning the lottery. I'd prefer the lottery but happily take a position on the client side of things.

mrsingh
12-13-2016, 12:14 PM
I have stayed employed, would I switch industries? I am open to it if I had to, but I like what I do and enjoy the company I work for.

Originally posted by Xtrema

No way any employer will try to cut wages by 30-40% and keep you around (they may reduce or remove bonus).

They will probably increase your work load by reducing head count. Until you can't take it no more, then they may hire someone back at 30-40% less or contractor at 50% off for temp workload relief.

This, my salary hasn't changed at all. That said, I have been on a pay freeze for a couple years and with smaller teams my work load has increased significantly. The big difference has been in regards to share awards and payouts which dropped off dramatically. As for bonus - last year's was still good, this year will be telling!

nickyh
12-13-2016, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

My friends husband took a 25% pay cut on the first round and then another 10% on another cut.
Her dad took a 50% pay cut...

So they must have been very overpaid.

mr2mike
12-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

I'm in O&G in the office and hardly know anyone who has taken a pay cut. Even new hires are coming in at similar salaries.
You must be on the custodial side of the o&g sector.

max_boost
12-13-2016, 01:41 PM

and all of you will be the grizzled old vets saying: ""imma save my money" :thumbsup: :bigpimp:

HomespunLobster
12-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Still in Oil and Gas. Our company is in a tough area, do we hire another field tech so we're not running the guys we have into the ground (in case it gets busy), or try and make it through this winter on a lower budget (And run everyone as hard as they can.) Spring break up is already coming pretty fast

KPHMPH
12-13-2016, 02:09 PM
Nope! Moved onto bigger and better things where I can stay in my home town and work when I want to.

Rat Fink
12-13-2016, 02:32 PM

schurchill39
12-13-2016, 03:37 PM
So wait.... the ~40% pay cut I took isn't normal? Most people I know have taken at least a 10-20% pay cut and something similar to my cut definitely isn't abnormal from the people I have spoken to over the last year. This includes not only base pay but also benefits (does not include bonuses which are no more)

mr2mike
12-13-2016, 03:40 PM
I'd say it's on the higher end but depends what area you're in.
It's either job cuts or pay cuts. But someone claiming there was neither is out to lunch or company is on verge on putting a sign on the door the next morning.

mrsingh
12-13-2016, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
So wait.... the ~40% pay cut I took isn't normal? Most people I know have taken at least a 10-20% pay cut and something similar to my cut definitely isn't abnormal from the people I have spoken to over the last year. This includes not only base pay but also benefits (does not include bonuses which are no more)

I think this really depends on what you do with the company, what the company does in the sector, what its financial position is, and in addition how you made it through the different levels of cuts that happened across the industry.

Feruk
12-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
You must be on the custodial side of the o&g sector.
Owner/operator working on development side. So are "most of" the people I referred to.

Originally posted by schurchill39
To clarify, I'm only speaking to base pay. Bonuses and other benefits are always variable.

realazy
12-13-2016, 05:33 PM
I'm also in the producer side, there has been no cuts to base pay and most of the people I know at producers have not taken a cut of more than 10% to base pay.

I think a lot of companies chose to cut staff rather than cut base salary. Cutting salary hurts morale more than cutting staff. Most people are happy to continue working and will forget that day where tons of people got laid off versus a cut in salary will linger and cause more discontent. Cutting salary also means that when the industry recovers, a bunch of your best staff will jump ship unless you can raise the salary fast enough to retain them.

Redlined_8000
12-13-2016, 05:40 PM
I would not go back unless I had to of course. I left the Oil Sands and took my current job back when oil was still $100 a barrel.

flipstah
12-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Yeah, used to work on producer side and the cuts were on bonuses. Base salary stayed intact.

Realazy is QFT.

killramos
12-14-2016, 08:41 AM
+1 at a producer.

We had a small salary cut in exchange for days off. But we are getting our salaries back for 2017 and they are clawing back the extra days off. Personally I liked being able to golf every Friday all summer for the nominal cut to marginal tax rate pay :rofl:

No bonuses for 15 and 16 though.

Our G&A savings came through buying cheaper coffee for the office and laying off ~20% staff / attrition. Somehow the wheel kept on rolling after all the staff cuts so...

Feruk
12-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Somehow the wheel kept on rolling after all the staff cuts so...
Really shows you how much dead weight the industry had. I'm now doing the job of 2.5 people pre-recession, and yet I can still find time to come on Beyond. :nut:

ExtraSlow
12-14-2016, 09:41 AM
There was an insane amount of dead weight and inefficiency before 2014 for sure. Although from my discussions, quite a few companies have cut out activities that are actually pretty crucial for longer-term success, and those organizations will be in a world of hurt if they can't get those back on track in the next year.

riander5
12-14-2016, 09:46 AM
I voted no because i never left bra

The downturn was great, left a producer to go to a midstreamer, got a raise, etc.

I lucked out though, had several colleagues that didnt fare quite as well. Hoping they get re hired soon!

Nufy
12-14-2016, 11:20 AM
I left an EPC and went to a pipeline company.

Still as a contractor.

If anything I will possibly look to move up in the company or another producer as opposed to going back to an EPC.

mrsingh
12-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Should have mentioned in my post, I am with a large producer as well.

Gestalt
12-14-2016, 11:46 AM
No, I got out a while ago to become a auto tech. I can stay home, and it truly seems to be a business based on merritt.

I have a question though. Where will the OG industry go as the world pushes further into renewables and cleaner energy? What is a realistic timeline when o&g will no longer be the dominant form of energy?

Are we at the doorstep of another evolution like microwave ovens and cell phones? Will it happen much faster than we think?

Interesting times we live in.

ExtraSlow
12-14-2016, 12:08 PM
Well, global petroleum consumption is still increasing every year, and extensive exploration is required to just keep pace with declines. Renewables are making impressive gains, and that trend is likely to continue.

O&G will be no longer dominant in 50+ years. That's my take.

Darkane
12-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Never had to leave thankfully. Took a small base cut (5%), lost the production bonus but retained the LTI bonus.

All in all 15-25% haircut, depending on position. Producer.

I do plan to stay longer.

Ekliptix
12-14-2016, 12:21 PM
^ In our lifetime, O&G will remain dominant in Alberta. My opinion. Other energy technologies are not nearly as economic yet.

For me, I never left the O&G industry. Same company for 10 years. I've never been to the field or seen a well. I work 35-40hrs a week. Have great work-life balance. We laid off a bunch of people. Those who remain maintained their base salary but bonuses/commissions have been drastically reduced. Personally, I'm a saver. I'm glad I saved in the good times because there have been some recent investment/real estate opportunities that are going to pay off in the long term. I would not have been able to take advantage of them, if I'd been balling outta control during the good times. :)

It's not impossible but I think you get spoiled with the salary in O&G, making it tough to work 'as hard' in another industry and earn less. I have family who were at an O&G company, were laid off, and look back at their previous O&G saying they didn't appreciate what they had 'till it was gone.

However, I have another family member who was just hired at WestJet after being laid off of their job 6 months ago. The WestJet salary and benefits are GREAT, and I heard they're a great company to work for, so there are good alternatives out there besides O&G it seems.

There are a lot of careers out there that can be more interesting then O&G, and I'd like to dip my foot into them part time to see how I like them. But, even within O&G, there is a massive range of jobs and skills that can attract nearly any type of person: Nerdy Engineering, Marketing/Creative, HR, Sales, Negotiating and people skills (landman), Accounting, field work, truck driving, management, etc.

Gestalt
12-14-2016, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Well, global petroleum consumption is still increasing every year, and extensive exploration is required to just keep pace with declines. Renewables are making impressive gains, and that trend is likely to continue.

O&G will be no longer dominant in 50+ years. That's my take.

Peak oil demand is estimated to be only 5 to 9 years away. Royal Dutch Shell estimated just 5 years.

New technology tends to hit a tipping point where it's slow slow slow, then suddenly everyone in the world has a cell phone.

If we easily meet and exceed demand now, and growth is coming to an end, will there really he any industry resembling today's left in 8 to 10 years?

R154
12-14-2016, 12:53 PM
It not just about fuel gestalt. It's all the invested infrastructure, power and machinery. The shift has undoubtedly started, but to think that in a decade it will disappear is absolutely outlandish.

Doesn't even make sense with all the emerging markets clamouring for it. China and India are still building thousands of coal plants. Wait until that becomes natural gas. Because there is much more natural gas than what we can predictably map.

suntan
12-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Gestalt

Peak oil demand is estimated to be only 5 to 9 years away. Royal Dutch Shell estimated just 5 years.

New technology tends to hit a tipping point where it's slow slow slow, then suddenly everyone in the world has a cell phone.

If we easily meet and exceed demand now, and growth is coming to an end, will there really he any industry resembling today's left in 8 to 10 years? Unless Mr. Fusion is around the corner or the entire world starts building nuclear fission plants up the ying yang, there are no suitable replacements for fossil fuels.

I also love how "fossil fuels" in your mind = just oil. Good jorb, dummy.

Gestalt
12-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by R154
It not just about fuel gestalt. It's all the invested infrastructure, power and machinery. The shift has undoubtedly started, but to think that in a decade it will disappear is absolutely outlandish.

Doesn't even make sense with all the emerging markets clamouring for it. China and India are still building thousands of coal plants. Wait until that becomes natural gas. Because there is much more natural gas than what we can predictably map.

No one said disappear. If we easily exceed demand now, and have to manipulate markets to prop the industry up, I'm wondering if the industry will be anything like it is now, in 10 years.

bjstare
12-14-2016, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by suntan

I also love how "fossil fuels" in your mind = just oil. Good jorb, dummy.

Also, it's impossible to say we can easily exceed demand, when we were only doing so for a short time as of late. Unless it can be easily predicted what demand will be in the future (Gestalt, let me know how to do this, we can get rich together), it's impossible to predict whether or not we'll continually be able to exceed demand.

Gestalt
12-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Also, it's impossible to say we can easily exceed demand, when we were only doing so for a short time as of late. Unless it can be easily predicted what demand will be in the future (Gestalt, let me know how to do this, we can get rich together), it's impossible to predict whether or not we'll continually be able to exceed demand.

Geopolitical factors elevated prices. Politics. War, sanctions. I don't believe it was actual shortage.

ickyflex
12-14-2016, 02:48 PM

No one said disappear. If we easily exceed demand now, and have to manipulate markets to prop the industry up, I'm wondering if the industry will be anything like it is now, in 10 years.

With current technology and OPEC was running at full capacity we were outstripping market demand by 2 million barrels for a period of 2 years. I'm not sure how 2 years in a 100 year old industry of over/undersupply seems to be the only truth in your head

Gestalt
12-14-2016, 02:56 PM
I'm not making predictions. I'm relaying what industry themselves have said. Like above, shell said 5 years. IEA says 9 years, WEC says 14.

What will the industry look like if that happens? What will happen to energy prices? Oil prices?

ickyflex
12-14-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm not making predictions. I'm relaying what industry themselves have said. Like above, shell said 5 years.

What will the industry look like if that happens? What will happen to energy prices? Oil prices?

That's one company.. christ you are dense. No single person in the world right now can predict what will happen. All you can do is look at real numbers and generate a forecasted scenario. Do some research and don't rely on headlines ffs

Oh look the International Energy Agency says otherwise. Must be correct.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/iea-seespeak-oil-demand-after-2040-1479283354

Fucking idiot

ExtraSlow
12-14-2016, 03:19 PM

If we easily meet and exceed demand now, and growth is coming to an end, will there really he any industry resembling today's left in 8 to 10 years?
Do you know how many billions of dollars per year needed to be invested to "easily" meet current demand?

quick_scar
12-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Never left. Went from a reserve evaluator to a producer last year. No plans to leave.

Gestalt
12-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Do you know how many billions of dollars per year needed to be invested to "easily" meet current demand?

Is that really a factor, or is it earnings minus costs?

JustinL
12-14-2016, 03:49 PM

Peak oil has been 5 years away for decades now. Eventually it will be true, but why is this time different? Until something substantially better comes along, we've got a lot of years left with fossil fuels as our primary global source of energy.

flipstah
12-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Peak oil is a myth until there's a solid alternate fuel source from gasoline/diesel/kerosene.

benyl
12-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Peak oil supply was reached in the 90s in the US. Then came fracking.

I'm not sure how anyone can predict peak oil demand. Just about everything has an oil by product in it or uses something that has to do with oil. Unless our throw away society changes, I can't see oil demand dropping that soon. It will I'm sure eventually.

rx7_turbo2
12-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by JustinL
Peak oil has been 5 years away for decades now.
This. It's been five years away my entire life. Eventually someone will predict it correctly but it'll be mostly by luck and won't be Gesalt that does it:rofl: Poor guy takes an owning by almost every member after every post.

Back on topic. I landed in health care. At this point in my life the number on the paycheque is less important than the fact I can count on it reliably. I'm actually really enjoying my new career.

flipstah
12-14-2016, 05:04 PM
Since we live in a resource-dependent economy, we're all affected by oil prices.

I don't know if I want to be directly involved again and be part of the roller coaster, or just indirectly coast by (current industry I'm in).

I do miss stock options though :(

R154
12-14-2016, 05:18 PM
You'll be back. That Mercedes will make it so.

Gestalt
12-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I think some are confusing peak oil, as in peak oil supply that was the prevalent fear from the 60's to about 2010, with peaking demand.

I never bought the peak oil fear. But I can see demand flat lining and then dropping as technology marches on.

The major oil players are investing in clean and alternative energy.

So the consensus is, nothing to see here, shell IEC and wec are a wrong, oil demand is in no danger of peaking during my career days?

ickyflex
12-14-2016, 05:23 PM
I think some are confusing peak oil, as in peak oil supply that was the prevalent fear from the 60's to about 2010, eak demand.

I never bought the peak oil fear. But I can see demand flat lining and then dropping as technology marches on.

The major oil players are investing in clean and alternative energy.

So the consensus is, nothing to see here, shell IEC and wec are a wrong, oil demand is in no danger of peaking during my career days?

Do you even know how to read... the only time peak SUPPLY was mentioned was to make reference to the idea that people had thought in the 90s that peak supply was a thing and it turned out to be nothing as fracking came along. The reference is to further the point that just because the idea of peak DEMAND is in question doesn't mean anything as the market always reinvents itself and does what it wants.

Demand won't drop for a very long time, you are far too narrow minded. Do you really think India or China are going to jump on a more expensive alternative to their cheapest access to energy. Don't kid yourself. As long as China and India keep growing, it doesn't matter if North American demand slowly falls or flat lines because demand around the rest of the world will still be headed up at a far faster pace

JustinL
12-14-2016, 05:31 PM
I think some are confusing peak oil, as in peak oil supply that was the prevalent fear from the 60's to about 2010, with peaking demand.

That's probably a more reasonable peak to look forward too. I misunderstood and thought you were referring to "peak oil". There have been little turn-arounds in oil demand over the years, but the overall trend is still pretty upward. I do agree that the eventually the demand will flatten and decline before we run out of the stuff. But a flat demand of an insane amount of oil will keep oil producing nations in the money for quite a while.

Gestalt
12-14-2016, 05:35 PM
I don't think I'm the one being narrow minded for asking a question no one is willing to entertain it seems.

What will the industry look like, if industry experts are right about peaking demand?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/11/28/peak-oil-was-correct-its-just-it-was-peak-demand-not-peak-supply/#59cd6cff4833

Minimalist
12-14-2016, 05:49 PM
I left O&G years ago, as it became rather obvious I was not one for the industry and the dirty politics of oil. Never will I return to selling my soul on an hourly basis. How Alberta is 10 billion in the hole and a one industry province has never felt right. Everything I do now involves oil money in one way or another and it does not go without consideration.

Relocation to BC fairly soon, my next vehicles will be electric, hybrid or a combination of the two. The house will be modest by Calgary standards with heating and cooling costs a 20th of my current place. Cycle when I can, been too green for the wasteful pro-oil types my entire adult life. You get it or you don't.

We all need to be honest about what feels right. To each their own.

HiTempguy1
12-14-2016, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Minimalist
I left O&G years ago, as it became rather obvious I was not one for the industry and the dirty politics of oil. Never will I return to selling my soul on an hourly basis. How Alberta is 10 billion in the hole and a one industry province has never felt right. Everything I do now involves oil money in one way or another and it does not go without consideration.

Relocation to BC fairly soon, my next vehicles will be electric, hybrid or a combination of the two. The house will be modest by Calgary standards with heating and cooling costs a 20th of my current place. Cycle when I can, been too green for the wasteful pro-oil types my entire adult life. You get it or you don't.

http://static3.fjcdn.com/comments/Zulakilhg+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+24+at+_581981f0ed0a24fcb1e1e9912168476f.jpg

Minimalist
12-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

http://static3.fjcdn.com/comments/Zulakilhg+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+24+at+_581981f0ed0a24fcb1e1e9912168476f.jpg

Must be, tonight over dinner I'll clue the wife in on your high school response.

I've never been to Red Deer. Fuck, I am gay.

Team_Mclaren
12-15-2016, 12:10 AM
I'm surprised on the number of people that "hates" the industry but will return once the money is back... AB is oil, everything is linked to it directly or indirectly, if you dont like it, i think it's time to move (not necessary a bad thing)

Personally I've never been in O&G so i cant comment.

flipstah
12-15-2016, 01:11 AM
We will never run out of oil. We'll just hit a point in time where extraction is unprofitable and were forced to switch fuel sources.

Seal powered C4S.

I kid.

riander5
12-15-2016, 01:45 AM

Must be, tonight over dinner I'll clue the wife in on your high school response.

I've never been to Red Deer. Fuck, I am gay.

Will you rip some greasy farts and smell all your smug too?

Make sure you electricity is from dams and not dirty coal or gas.

Also make sure your bike has a wood from from ethicaly harvested wood and your tires are made from... uhh... pelts??

Just make sure it feels right man. Right on

Edit - mobile spelling mistakes

Gestalt
12-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by riander5

Will you rip some greasy farts and smell all your smug too?

Make sure you electricity is from dams and not dirty coal or gas.

Also make sure your bike has a wood from from ethicaly harvested wood and your tires are made from... uhh... pelts??

Just make sure it feels right man. Right on

Edit - mobile spelling mistakes

All or nothing? That's your argument?

Modern life has evolved a certain way. Those taking even modest steps should be encouraged, not slandered with the whatever you do, it's not enough to satisfy my all or nothing attitude.

Remember, in high school, reduce, re use recycle?

R154
12-15-2016, 08:25 AM
I readily support efforts to use alternative energy sources and also attempt to limit my own wasteful use.

The problem is, much like the sjw movement, people take this stuff in extremes and no longer look at things with moderation and logic.

It's easy to espouse criticisms of our industry, but when the chips are down the same people making violent and strong statements against our work, rarely take any steps themselves to back up their position.

All the people who say that oil and gas is ruining the environment are still buying new phones every year, still buy cars and clothes brand new homes. Nothing but hypocrisy at its finest.

If you're serious about your views, buy a smaller home and less things. Less consumption of the products you so vehemently hate.

I'll never understand this new ideal that has become so popular. To have polarizing hatred of something or a subset of someone's all the while consuming from the same trough.

Fuck off.

ickyflex
12-15-2016, 09:34 AM
I readily support efforts to use alternative energy sources and also attempt to limit my own wasteful use.

The problem is, much like the sjw movement, people take this stuff in extremes and no longer look at things with moderation and logic.

It's easy to espouse criticisms of our industry, but when the chips are down the same people making violent and strong statements against our work, rarely take any steps themselves to back up their position.

All the people who say that oil and gas is ruining the environment are still buying new phones every year, still buy cars and clothes brand new homes. Nothing but hypocrisy at its finest.

If you're serious about your views, buy a smaller home and less things. Less consumption of the products you so vehemently hate.

I'll never understand this new ideal that has become so popular. To have polarizing hatred of something or a subset of someone's all the while consuming from the same trough.

Fuck off.

The problem is educated people are too busy working to give a damn and it's the peasants that have all the time in the world to voice their opinions and protest. 90% of the time people don't even know what they are protesting. Occupy Wall St was the start of random protesting

SkiBum5.0
12-15-2016, 09:39 AM

All or nothing? That's your argument?

Modern life has evolved a certain way. Those taking even modest steps should be encouraged, not slandered with the whatever you do, it's not enough to satisfy my all or nothing attitude.

Remember, in high school, reduce, re use recycle?

It's not the principles of Minimalist's posts that are questionable - it's the smugness he bakes into them. His high horse only emits methane.

As for when we reach peak demand - then we will be like every other mature industry where innovation succeeds, and the ones that can't deliver a high-value product go away.

R154
12-15-2016, 09:51 AM
This morning I stood in line for coffee behind 2 girls chiding a male aquaintence for posting his kill on fb. These 2 girls were both wearing Canada Goose jackets with the fur hoods.

These two reminded me of gestalt.

2 pigeons squawking with no real grip of context, insight or strength of conviction.

Yeah, I'm talking about your thinly veiled superiority complex and not so eloquently disguised lack of knowledge. Your immaturity betrays you with the questions and short quips you've vomited on this thread.

We see you.

flipstah
12-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Were they hot? Pix

Gestalt
12-15-2016, 10:15 AM
More all or nothing impossible standards.

I find that dishonest.

, doing nothing is noble.

Doing something is a crime, because it's never enough.

Now that I know the rules, I'll he more careful.

R154
12-15-2016, 10:15 AM
Unfortunately, they were fucking stunning. One of them resembled Ariana Grande with a wider mouth, body like Caley Cuoco. The other was a carbon copy of the arab porn star turned blogger (?). Couldn't get pix. Too distracted by conversation.

Sorry man.

:(

2Legit2Quit
12-15-2016, 10:28 AM

This has to be a troll post.

If not...you should move to Portland instead and join your hipster brethren.

phreezee
12-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Ha, buy a hybrid car.... way to make an impact!:rofl:

https://vimeo.com/31586887

Epididymitis
12-15-2016, 10:55 AM
I'll be returning to O&G. Been rigging under a tower crane in hirise construction since i was laid off two years ago, and sick of it.

HiTempguy1
12-15-2016, 10:56 AM

Worst response ever, plenty of fags have wives. You should most certainly ask your wife if she knows your gay, it might help a lot of the imaginable marriage problems you guys have :poosie:

:rofl:

Edit-
If it makes you feel any better, this is pretty gay too

Couldn't get pix. Too distracted by conversation.

Darkane
12-15-2016, 11:04 AM

Enlighten me on how your heating and cooling costs will be 1/20th of the current?

Are you including the initial cost of (assuming) solar panels or geothermal or whatever else you plan to do?