PDA

View Full Version : If you could live anywhere in Canada...

timdog
12-14-2016, 02:30 PM
couldn't decide where to post this thread, Home and Garden seemed most appropriate.

If you could live anywhere in Canada where would it be?
And let's say jobs are of no concern. You have to work but let's just imagine you can do whatever you do from home so you can live anywhere.

Just something I've been thinking about as I have been investigating the option of doing work where I can work from home 95% of the time and travel for the rest.

Seth1968
12-14-2016, 02:50 PM
Southern BC.

nzwasp
12-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Either near Victoria, BC or Osoyoos or some other small town south of Kelowna.

Lex350
12-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Somewhere in the Okanagan valley.

Mixalot27
12-14-2016, 02:57 PM
I spent 8 months living in Radium Hot Springs and found it pretty amazing. Tons of wildlife including hundreds of mountain sheep that live in the village most of the year. Mild winter weather but lots of snow. Close to Sunshine, Lake Louise, Panorama. Lots of camping and outdoor opportunities in the summer. Relatively inexpensive housing available. Everything you need is available in Invermere, about a 10 minute drive away. Calgary is a close commute for visiting family/friends.

Currently I am living in Vernon. It's alright here but I much preferred Radium due to the more mountainous terrain and cheaper cost of housing.

GTR_Auto
12-14-2016, 03:03 PM
BC for sure

Okanagan or on the island

asp integra
12-14-2016, 03:07 PM
For me it would be Penticton area, or Shuswap. Lakefront home!

redblack
12-14-2016, 03:16 PM
Winnipeg, hot summers and cool winters.

BensonTT
12-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Richmond BC .. So many hot fobby chicks :) :drool:

G-ZUS
12-14-2016, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
Richmond BC .. So many hot fobby chicks :) :drool:

:poosie: :love:

I'd have to say BC or Ottawa

spikerS
12-14-2016, 04:12 PM
I drove through Kenora, Ontario a few times, and I fell in love with the place. Such a beautiful area, and great fishing!

Otherwise I would try to find a place somewhere out by Canmore.

imranm
12-14-2016, 04:18 PM
Born and raised in Vancouver. If it's not Calgary, it would be Toronto.

revelations
12-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Having lived in (metro) Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto - I would say Vancouver Island for the sunny summers, and Calgary for the sunny winters.

timdog
12-14-2016, 04:29 PM
wow, a pretty unanimous vote for the okanagan so far. I'm surprised. It has definitely been a consideration for me. Kelowna itself is pretty expensive, although real estate/rentals seem to be fairly comparable to Calgary, maybe even cheaper if you consider what you get (bigger lots, closer to amenities, etc). I like that there is an airport there too. and I assumed the airport only serviced domestic flights but it looks like you can fly direct to seattle and vegas, and seasonal flights to phoenix and mexico... pretty sweet!

edit: i wrote this reply before the last 2 or 3 replies

blindsight
12-14-2016, 04:38 PM

timdog
12-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by blindsight
Parksville, BC

mind elaborating? I've never been there, only Victoria and Salt Spring Island. What do you love about it so much?

EK 2.0
12-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Victoria no question....

eglove
12-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Victoria no question....

ercchry
12-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Muskoka in the summer, revy in the winter... and a sprinkling of Maui/Malibu in between

Was actually going to move out to the Barrie area this year but got a job offer here which can make the above a reality hopefully within 5 years

mr2mike
12-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Muskoka in the summer
Never been. Want to.
Probably easier getting to an International Airport if comparing to Kelowna area.

ercchry
12-14-2016, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Never been. Want to.
Probably easier getting to an International Airport if comparing to Kelowna area.

Well at least Kelowna has an airport... depending where you are it's like 1.5-3hrs to Pearson... traffic and construction dependant

The real ballers just take a helicopter or float plane though :bigpimp:

It's an absolutely ridiculous travel day from here though, best time from leaving the house till drinking beer on the dock for me was 10hrs, worst was ~24hrs (delayed plane, landed after car rentals closed... yeah yyz doesn't have 24hr rental companies)

Minimalist
12-14-2016, 06:09 PM
BC: Nelson, the Okanagan or Radium Hot Springs.

Did my time on Vancouver Island, Victoria is a dark cloud, outside Vic is not too bad. Always hated waiting around for a ferry off the island and driving the same limited roads on the southern half. Far up island is nothing but banjo music, Deliverance Canadian style.

Montreal from May to September would be an easy life.

timdog
12-15-2016, 09:33 AM
I've always wanted to live in Victoria but am definitely worried that the lack of sun in the winters might get to me (and my wife even more). I think Kelowna would be similar but probably a little bit better.
Funny, if you google 'best places to live in Canada', all of the lists are based on money, i.e. jobs, cost of living, average wages, etc.

I know a couple rich people that live (or have weekend homes) on the sunshine coast. I'm talking rich. so it must be good there.

killramos
12-15-2016, 09:40 AM
I saw a small Oil Company press release from an office in Kelowna, I was supremely jealous.

Kelowna is a good option imo. Extended golfing season, Lake, Winters where you aren't afraid your car won't start, skiing. Urban enough that it isn't a small town hassle. Can drive into Vancouver for the weekend without too much hassle if you need to do the big city thing. Airport to GTFO.

Have always been interested in what Ontario lake country is like but have never experienced it.

I do like Calgary though, and tbh if i ever actually moved away from here it wouldn't be to somewhere in Canada. :dunno:

timdog
12-15-2016, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by killramos
I saw a small Oil Company press release from an office in Kelowna, I was supremely jealous.

Kelowna is a good option imo. Extended golfing season, Lake, Winters where you aren't afraid your car won't start, skiing. Urban enough that it isn't a small town hassle. Can drive into Vancouver for the weekend without too much hassle if you need to do the big city thing. Airport to GTFO.

Have always been interested in what Ontario lake country is like but have never experienced it.

I do like Calgary though, and tbh if i ever actually moved away from here it wouldn't be to somewhere in Canada. :dunno:

Yeah I don't hate Calgary as much as some people do. Overall I like it, and it's provided some amazing opportunity for me. But I moved here when I was a kid, so it's pretty much all I know. Same with my wife. We have just always been interested in a change. Completely understood that you'd like to move out of the country, and that's something we would consider too. But it looks like moving anywhere within Canada (as long as it's somewhat accessible) may be a real option for me in the future so it's definitely something I want to explore.
I think ultimately we would move somewhere with the idea that we are committing to 2 years, and we'd just rent initially. And if after 2 years we want to move back to Calgary, it's not a failure, it was just a great experience hopefully.

mzdspd
12-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Obviously BC has many areas that I would love to live in but I would say the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia.

I lived there until I was 9 years old and its beautiful. Very similar to the Okanagon with lots of wineries and orchards. However, it is a lot more laid back when compared with Kelowna area. Also has the ocean and lots of beautiful beaches. And you are only 30-45 minutes from Halifax if you need the city.

killramos
12-15-2016, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by mzdspd
Obviously BC has many areas that I would love to live in but I would say the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia.

I lived there until I was 9 years old and its beautiful. Very similar to the Okanagon with lots of wineries and orchards. However, it is a lot more laid back when compared with Kelowna area. Also has the ocean and lots of beautiful beaches. And you are only 30-45 minutes from Halifax if you need the city.

Not to mention the prospect of alot more cousin fucking. Incest is Wincest!

Dude you are from away by now, you will never get back in the groove there haha.

Seth1968
12-15-2016, 10:38 AM
I chose somewhere in Southern BC, but since we're talking seasonal as well, then I would want to spend the spring, summer, and fall in Ontario's cottage country (kawarthas / muskoka).

timdog
12-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by mzdspd

I'm from Kentville, NS and familiar with the valley. Very beautiful yes but the winters are awful.

Team_Mclaren
12-15-2016, 11:33 AM
RICHMOND.

kertejud2
12-15-2016, 11:59 AM
At least Invermere only gets the douchebags from Calgary, Kelowna gets them from Calgary and Vancouver. Perfect storm of shit.

Dj0kWQPPBis

klumsy_tumbler
12-15-2016, 12:16 PM
I would probably say New Brunswick. I have family that lives out there, and it's gorgeous!

Epididymitis
12-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2
At least Invermere only gets the douchebags from Calgary, Kelowna gets them from Calgary and Vancouver. Perfect storm of shit.

Dj0kWQPPBis

Uggghh my eyes and ears.... RAPED.

pheoxs
12-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Only ever lived up north, in Edmonton, and in Calgary so far. Moving for Vancouver in the spring and excited for that as it's definitely my preferred place to live. Only concern is the rain / less sunlight.

rx7_turbo2
12-15-2016, 12:52 PM
Lots of people suggesting Vancouver Island. Visiting is one thing, living there another. The Island can be a very strange place. I left primarily because of the weather but a number of factors contributed to the decision. If I was retired and had the ability to head South for the winter? I think somewhere North of Nanaimo would work well. Working out there? No thanks.

I think I'd rather be in the Okanagan somewhere.

A790
12-15-2016, 12:56 PM
Moving to southern Ontario in July. We'll see where we wind up after that.

killramos
12-15-2016, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by A790
Moving to southern Ontario in July. We'll see where we wind up after that.

:eek:

NoPulp
12-15-2016, 01:49 PM
I lived in Kelowna for a year, its nice but I think I preferred other parts of Okanagan more. I like the mountains, but I did eventually miss the openness of Southern Alberta. I also hate admit it, but I also missed the wind a bit.

I'd like anywhere near the west coast except for Vancouver itself.
East coast would also be nice, but I feel it could get boring once the tourist feel wears off.

I'm honestly pretty happy in Alberta though :dunno:

ExtraSlow
12-15-2016, 02:07 PM
The winter sunshine in southern Alberta is pretty nice. I wouldn't mind summers in the maritimes, but I don't think I could do winters out there. Lots of BC is nice, but each area has it's drawbacks.

A790
12-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by killramos

:eek:
?

I work entirely online. I have no reason to stay here. The weather sure isn't much of a draw... lol.

ercchry
12-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by A790

?

I work entirely online. I have no reason to stay here. The weather sure isn't much of a draw... lol.

Nor are the winters out east :rofl:

You'll have to come up to the lake though in the summer

A790
12-15-2016, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
Nor are the winters out east :rofl:

You'll have to come up to the lake though in the summer
I've lived in southern Ontario before. The winters aren't anything new to me.

And they're predictable. You know when spring starts, when summer starts, fall, etc. I'd take that over the circus in Calgary any day.

timdog
12-15-2016, 02:56 PM

Dj0kWQPPBis

this is a legitimate concern for me. Is Kelowna really full of privileged rich white wannabe gangstas?

for the people that say okanagan valley but NOT Kelowna, do you have something specific in mind? Vernon? Penticton? somewhere in between?
I like the idea of being near Kelowna for the amenities but outside where it's more peaceful, like Summerland or Peachland... isn't Penticton a gong show basically all summer? I've only been once and it was mistakenly during a massive music festival and it was a nightmare.

Dumbass17
12-15-2016, 03:30 PM

Dj0kWQPPBis

I hate that the song isn't that bad haha

asp integra
12-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by timdog

this is a legitimate concern for me. Is Kelowna really full of privileged rich white wannabe gangstas?

for the people that say okanagan valley but NOT Kelowna, do you have something specific in mind? Vernon? Penticton? somewhere in between?
I like the idea of being near Kelowna for the amenities but outside where it's more peaceful, like Summerland or Peachland... isn't Penticton a gong show basically all summer? I've only been once and it was mistakenly during a massive music festival and it was a nightmare.

For me the big drawback with Kelowna is the traffic. It can be a nightmare getting around, if you have to use the bridge it can take forever. It is better now with the new bridge but still not great. Yes, there are some d bags, but you can find that anywhere. I would prefer Penticton or Vernon area, both are not far from Kelowna if you want a big larger city feel. Penticton is really only busy over the August long weekend.

ExtraSlow
12-15-2016, 03:56 PM
Why does that entire music video have chicks who are a six or lower? Buncha threes in there too.
Not impressed.

BensonTT
12-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Why does that entire music video have chicks who are a six or lower? Buncha threes in there too.
Not impressed.

Because those guys are a 2-3 :D

NoPulp
12-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Not impressed.
There was one that was okay. Bad selection for a music video, but realistic music video for the local side of Kelowna IMO

I didn't find Kelowna that bad for traffic? Better than calgary, worse than Lethbridge.
I liked Pen and osoyoos

Kloubek
12-15-2016, 04:48 PM
Penticton area. Can't be beat. Two amazing lakes, and the weather is phenomenal.

Kelowna traffic is nothing. There are just a few areas here and there you might get snagged. Nothing compared to Calgary, or worse yet, Vancouver.

JustinMCS
12-15-2016, 05:02 PM
I went to penticton in september for a wedding and made a trip out of it with wine tours, etc. loved the area.

Minimalist
12-15-2016, 10:23 PM
It gets worse or does it? I feel hairnets (bring 'em back) could increase the toughness of these 'Pegster wannabes. Should I be in a coma, this and the KKKelownaposer tracks will have me awake and running out the hospital front door in minutes.

5VAF3ypMS84

suntan
12-15-2016, 11:15 PM
Kelowna's traffic is nothing.

Penticton's weather is better than Kelowna's.

Basically anywhere you can grow peaches consistency will have very good weather as those plants are wimps.

jacky4566
12-15-2016, 11:30 PM
Montreal, Quebec. So much good food.... And since we are linking relevant rap videos.

5PsnxDQvQpw

reiRei
12-15-2016, 11:59 PM

I live in Kelowna, moved here from calgary in 2009. You get all sorts of people around here in the summer because of tourist season, but if you generally keep away from downtown you can avoid most of the douchebaggery.

My suggestion is to check out Lake Country (aka Winfield) it's a smaller community just outside of Kelowna to the north (much like Airdrie is to calgary) it's got decent housing prices and most of the amenities there without the mass tourists of Kelowna. You won't have to deal with bridge traffic like if you were to live on the West side.

I really enjoy it here, i have had the opportunity to move back to Calgary this year, but decided to stay in Kelowna. It's such a great place to live with an amazing lifestyle and so much to do.

Hope this helps!

blindsight
12-16-2016, 01:21 AM

timdog
12-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by reiRei

I live in Kelowna, moved here from calgary in 2009. You get all sorts of people around here in the summer because of tourist season, but if you generally keep away from downtown you can avoid most of the douchebaggery.

My suggestion is to check out Lake Country (aka Winfield) it's a smaller community just outside of Kelowna to the north (much like Airdrie is to calgary) it's got decent housing prices and most of the amenities there without the mass tourists of Kelowna. You won't have to deal with bridge traffic like if you were to live on the West side.

I really enjoy it here, i have had the opportunity to move back to Calgary this year, but decided to stay in Kelowna. It's such a great place to live with an amazing lifestyle and so much to do.

Hope this helps!

Cool thanks. I think I've been to Lake Country, isnt there where the Kangaroo Farm is? that's literally all I saw so I didnt actually see the town itself. I like the idea that it is between Vernon and Kelowna and close to everything, but quiet. and you have like 3 or 4 good lakes within 30 minutes or less

reiRei
12-16-2016, 11:08 AM

Cool thanks. I think I've been to Lake Country, isnt there where the Kangaroo Farm is? that's literally all I saw so I didnt actually see the town itself. I like the idea that it is between Vernon and Kelowna and close to everything, but quiet. and you have like 3 or 4 good lakes within 30 minutes or less

Yup, that's exactly Lake Country! I think it's a really nice central place if you wanted to live in a bit of a quieter community

zhao
12-16-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm from bc so i'm a bit biased, but if job was no factor, here is what i'd consider.

Richmond: I love the quasi small town feel that is easy to get around in, with an amazing chinese/japanese resturant per block. I briefly lived there and that's my go to place to stay when I go back to Vancouver. It's also very easy to get into vancouver by driving (ok technically it sucks, but its better then getting to van from anywhere else pretty much) and definitely by the skytrain now, which is why I wouldn't consider poco or new west or any of those areas. I wouldn't want to live in vancouver proper either because it's too busy, too hipster, and well obviously pretty expensive. The downside is it is very hard to get into nature from; you're looking at an hour+ drive in any direction to hit forest.

Victoria: It's a sleepy town with nature very close and looks very nice. I'm really only familiar with oak bay in detail though because that is where I have family. The downside is it is on the island and the ferry is rape, plus people there are a bit different. For example I always found it odd that mom and pop stores seem to do well there and chains dont really work. I was always boggled by how they barely had any fast food restaurants in the city whereas kelowna had a bazillion

Kelowna: I grew up here, it's about as small a town as I want to live in. It has literally almost everything you need that a big city has, and vancouver is very close. What sucks is I bet tourism in summer is going to make you hate summer there until you learn where the locals go for activities, beaches, roads to use, etc, then it's no biggie. The big perk here is you are minutes from nature almost no matter where you live and it is a great climate. summers are hot as hell, but honestly 45 in kelowna feels more like 30 in alberta; one of my first jobs I used to work outside all day in up to 40 degrees (40 was the cap, then we had to go home), and then in winters I always just wore a rain jacket because it was warm enough except for the odd day. Winters clouds fill in the valley though so it is gloomy most of winter, but it's usually sunny on the ski hills from what I remember, I remember by march there were times we'd literally be skiing in jeans and a shirt and you'd randomly get a kid in school coming in with sun burn from being up at big white or silverstar all weekend. We'd usually be outside for PE into november, and back out again in march.

Growing up I would literally walk out my back door and be into the edge of the city. same with one of my friend's houses. We'd just trek off into no where, and honestly a lot of the city is within walking distance from one thing that is awesome, like a beach, nature park, downtown, or the edge of the city and that is pretty awesome. You can not survive without a car though. This is a city where you can walk to literally one thing, and need to drive everywhere else.

Halifax: i'd consider here too just because NS is so damn cheap, and a nice city as well. to me the downside is that there is literally no big city near it, so you are very isolated in your own little world.

timdog
12-16-2016, 01:35 PM
good info. being from NS I can appreciate the beauty of Halifax, the Anapolis valley, etc, but I just think the winters are too brutal for me.