PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN: 2014 Malibu Wakesetter

Sdeibert
12-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Had the boat stolen yesterday Dec 20, between 3-8 PM. From my driveway in Red Deer.

I was up in Peace River working and wife had stepped out to go shopping. So I'm guessing whoever grabbed it was casing the place for a bit. As you can see by the picture it's rather different and well driving a boat around this time of year would be odd. Not sure what to think of it :dunno:

Any info PM me or Red Deer RCMP. 403-343-5575

https://c5.staticflickr.com/1/764/31747920716_11fd666811_c.jpg

Buster
12-21-2016, 09:51 AM
How much is a boat like that worth?

dirtsniffer
12-21-2016, 10:10 AM
more than you can afford, pal.

JRSC00LUDE
12-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

:clap:

Mitsu3000gt
12-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Buster

We had a very similar one (23') and it was around $100K brand new but boat prices vary wildly with the US exchange rate, could easily be $50K more depending on the FX.

Boats are a giant rip off for what you get and they don't hold value well at all - we'd never buy new again.

R-Audi
12-21-2016, 10:35 AM

2014 would be around 90-100.... Brand New $150+ Depends on length and options...

Thaco
12-21-2016, 10:45 AM
yeah, based on the truck box being ~5ft i'd say its a 20ft, the google says around 92k USD, again depends on options but that one looks pretty tricked out.

spikerS
12-21-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Well played, sir!

But yeah, that should stick out like a sore thumb at this time of the year. If the thieves are smart, they immediately wrapped it in white plastic, and painted the trailer and rims, because that is one easily identifiable boat...

My guess is professional ring and you will never see it again, inside insurance job, or you will have it back by the end of the week.

Buster
12-21-2016, 10:57 AM
I guess boat companies really sell the whole "lifestyle image" thing.

Picture yourself, wind in the face, looking youthful, pulling your idyllic family behind you.

Meanwhile, you gotta park $100 bills worth of rapidly depreciated asset on your driveway to get ripped off, so you can burn depreciation and gas 6 weekends a summer.

Buster
12-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Also: outstanding ferrari reference, gentlemen.

riander5
12-21-2016, 11:20 AM
Wonder if they let people to 20 year payment plans like on RV's and trailers

killramos
12-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by riander5

http://www.boulderboats.com/financeapp.asp

Typical financing available with as little as 10% down payment. Financing is available on both new and used boats.
Approvals take up to a few days depending on credit.
Be prepared to show proof of income.
Loan terms are available up to 240 months.
All the paperwork will be done right here in our office.
Extended warranty & service plans available on boats and engines less than 10 years old.

http://i.imgur.com/VEY7yxr.gif

GL to OP on finding the boat, hope its properly insured.

R-Audi
12-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Meanwhile, you gotta park $100 bills worth of rapidly depreciated asset on your driveway to get ripped off, so you can burn depreciation and gas 6 weekends a summer.

No diffferent than a summer sportscar...If you have a cabin somewhere I bet it gets ued a lot more tha 6 weekends.. hour for hour could be more than a car.

carson blocks
12-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by riander5

Go wander through Bass Pro and read the fine print on the signs advertising $$$ boats for Payments cheaper than a Kia, all 240 month loans.

OP, maybe send an email blast to the local boat shops, and the ones in lake country. I imagine if one needed to move a stolen boat from Calgary this time of year, lake country BC would be a good start.

dirtsniffer
12-21-2016, 12:24 PM
is it possible to let all the local border crossings know?

Rocket1k78
12-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
yeah, based on the truck box being ~5ft i'd say its a 20ft, the google says around 92k USD, again depends on options but that one looks pretty tricked out.

No way thats a 20', 24' and up is my guess and with the triple axle and loaded trailer thats an expensive boat.

jacky4566
12-21-2016, 12:35 PM
OP if you havnt already set up some kijiji alerts for AB/BC. Never know what'll turn up. Also any luck with insurace?

Also. What did you have for locks? Surely you had more than a ball lock on a 100k boat?!? We use a thick cable lock around the axle/ wheel. If you aren't looking you wont notice it so the trailer self destructs if you tried to drive away. Dad also has a hello kitty magnet on the hitch to remind us of the cable :P

roopi
12-21-2016, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

My guess is professional ring and you will never see it again, inside insurance job, or you will have it back by the end of the week.

So you figure it will be either found or never found? You've narrowed it down from two possibilities to two possibilities. Excellent detective work.

Not sure why people are making comments about how the boat was paid for, how much it is used, and how bad of an investment it is. :thumbsdow

JfuckinC
12-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by roopi

So you figure it will be either found or never found? You've narrowed it down from two possibilities to two possibilities. Excellent detective work.

Not sure why people are making comments about how the boat was paid for, how much it is used, and how bad of an investment it is. :thumbsdow

Why do people on beyond comment on anything though? lol It's like a bunch of old women, just talking to make noise.

Hope it's found in good condition.

darthVWader
12-21-2016, 01:35 PM
Hope you get your boat back.

If you do or get it replaced look into a tracking device.

https://www.findmespot.ca/en/index.php?cid=130

ercchry
12-21-2016, 01:36 PM
At least the banter keeps this thread at the top...

as for wake/surf boats

5 years ago I would of said worth it!

But now? Things have changed... not many options in ab but else where cable parks are so much more accessible and one can argue more fun to ride, cheaper than the operating costs of a boat

Also $150k can get you a lot of surfing in the ocean... which is way more fun than behind a boat. Behind a boat it's more of just an activity to pass the time. Good excuse to look at girls in bikinis, cause they love it. Probably since the skill level is so damn low to be able to surf behind a boat :rofl:

spikerS
12-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by roopi

yeah, I guess I was being a little vague. I guess the point I was making was that this boat was targeted by professional thieves, and it has disappeared into the neither, or some amateurs and it is parked in their driveway in Sylvan Lake.

But with the economy the way it is, and how expensive those boats are, my inner conspiracy theorist is wondering if this isn't an insurance scam to get out from under it's debt...

ercchry
12-21-2016, 01:58 PM
Considering he was up NORTH... WORKING at the time....

jacky4566
12-21-2016, 02:05 PM
If it was insurance scam he surely wouldn't be posting on beyond.

File a police report and maybe a stolen poster or 2 and call it in.

Rocket1k78
12-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

Originally posted by jacky4566
If it was insurance scam he surely wouldn't be posting on beyond.

If there was a How to commit insurance fraud for dummies book this would be step 1 and 2. Now this is a completely different scenario but how many times has the actual killer participated in the search for the person they killed to throw them off.

I normally dont agree with spikers :poosie: but hes not that out to lunch imo. Now im not saying this is op's case but i would be willing to bet a large percentage of recreational vehicle thefts are inside jobs. If you cant afford payments and no ones buying these high end toys it really puts you in a hard spot.

Buster
12-21-2016, 02:24 PM
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but ya, spikers is probably right.

If you're the criminal mastermind type, there are a lot of easier ways to make money than to try to fence a giant neon green boat.

sputnik
12-21-2016, 02:26 PM
I find it odd that someone would park a $100-150k boat on their driveway in the off season.

Is it really that hard to come up with the money to have it on a secured compound or at the very least install a couple cameras at the house to monitor something so vulnerable to theft?

ercchry
12-21-2016, 02:30 PM
I didn't want to be the one to say it, but ya, spikers is probably right.

If you're the criminal mastermind type, there are a lot of easier ways to make money than to try to fence a giant neon green boat.

Probably easier than you think... have you ever tried to register a boat? It's the most ridiculous process I have ever seen... can take up to two years :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
12-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78

No way thats a 20', 24' and up is my guess and with the triple axle and loaded trailer thats an expensive boat.

It looks like a 21' or 23' tops. We had a 23' and this one does not look any larger, nor does it require a triple axle (we had that option too when we bought but went double). From the photo it actually looks closer to 20-21' but it's hard to say exactly.

spikerS
12-21-2016, 03:02 PM

"NORTH" and "WORKING" could be flipping burgers at McDonalds...just sayin'

Like I said, just a conspiracy theory, nothing more...

But...
Why steal a boat like that? It's a big neon green billboard that is gonna stand out anywhere. It's like stealing a Green Lamborghini. It is going to attract attention no matter where you go...

It has a huge cost to buy new, and it looks like it was taken care of. How many people could just go pay for something like that and not incur a ton of debt

With how much money those in the oil field used to make, making the assumption that he was in the oil fields, chances are good he got laid off, and now probably can't afford to keep making those payments. Might come out ahead if the boat just "disappeared" and collected the insurance money.

A sign of financial difficulties might be that the boat is parked in their driveway. Can the person afford storage at a secure facility, or is that $100 a month something that he just can't afford anymore? Especially in the middle of winter when the boat should be in some sort of storage facility. In the summer, I can understand it being in the driveway for ease of access and use.

No security for the boat or for the house? (assumption there as we are getting second hand info, not from the "victim"). No video surveillance or still pics...

Toys like this are the first thing to be gotten rid of during economic hardship, looks better on the credit rating too if the boat gets paid off versus being repossessed...

Happened just before Christmas, which is arguably the most stressful time of year for finances for families that may be having financial issues.

Now, the above is just my inner conspiracy theorist again, and it may have just been stolen just as the OP said. But in the back of my mind, I can't help but wonder...

Either way, I hope it gets found with no damage and the OP's friend can enjoy it again...

*edit* just re-read the OP and the OP is the victim, and not a friend. Wonder if we could get more details on what was going on?

vengie
12-21-2016, 03:03 PM

yeah, I guess I was being a little vague. I guess the point I was making was that this boat was targeted by professional thieves, and it has disappeared into the neither, or some amateurs and it is parked in their driveway in Sylvan Lake.

But with the economy the way it is, and how expensive those boats are, my inner conspiracy theorist is wondering if this isn't an insurance scam to get out from under it's debt...

I'm embarrassed for you with a post like this.

spikerS
12-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by vengie

I'm embarrassed for you with a post like this.

You act like I care what you think...:rofl:

Env-Consultant
12-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

It looks like a 21' or 23' tops. We had a 23' and this one does not look any larger, nor does it require a triple axle (we had that option too when we bought but went double). From the photo it actually looks closer to 20-21' but it's hard to say exactly.

My guess is 20' if that's the shortest length they produce. Angle distortion and photoshopping on my phone skew things a bit. It's science.

https://s23.postimg.org/d1nk7fykr/2016_12_21_14_01_58.jpg

Rocket1k78
12-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Env-Consultant

My guess is 20' if that's the shortest length they produce. Angle distortion and photoshopping on my phone skew things a bit. It's science.

https://s23.postimg.org/d1nk7fykr/2016_12_21_14_01_58.jpg

$20 bet? ill give you 21 and under

Env-Consultant
12-21-2016, 03:37 PM

0 to degen instantly. :bigpimp:

Not personally interested, but someone else here would likely take that action.

Nismorphed
12-21-2016, 03:54 PM
No trailer hitch lock??

R-Audi
12-21-2016, 03:58 PM
People are forgetting... if no one was home the thieves would have time to cut off any lock/locking device.....theives are pretty brazen.

Sdeibert
12-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Lol this was a great read..

I was up in Slave Lake then Peace River working, if I hadn't cut the photo off you could see my work pick-up in the background. Work for a Wireline Company. I wish i could have gotten laid off, some of the big companies pulled their Wireline trucks out of Alberta and us as a smaller company have been flat out all year. I've had 5 days off in the last 30.

Boat is owned 3 ways (family), all papers in my name. Payments are small when split and we've been flipping for quite a few years.

The parked in driveway was a shear laziness factor, been meaning to put it in the brothers business' yard (covered shed in back) but between work and procrastination it didn't happen. Thing was locked with a Explosive Lock and they cut that. :eek:

Boat is a 2014 23 LSV Wakesetter and has the LSA Supercharged motor, Wizards owner had ordered it but never rode it so we bought it when the last boat sold.

So Rocket1k78 I believe you owe $20 to someone :)

Sdeibert
12-21-2016, 04:10 PM
But yeah, that should stick out like a sore thumb at this time of the year. If the thieves are smart, they immediately wrapped it in white plastic, and painted the trailer and rims, because that is one easily identifiable boat...

That's my thought as well.. gotta be Professional job. They had a 5 hour window when the wife was out. 3:10-7:50pm, she had gone shopping and when she came back it was gone. I was just south of Westlock when she phoned and asked if someone had come to grab it. Don't think a "smash & grab" type would do it in the middle of the day.

spikerS
12-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Sdeibert
Lol this was a great read..

I was up in Slave Lake then Peace River working, if I hadn't cut the photo off you could see my work pick-up in the background. Work for a Wireline Company. I wish i could have gotten laid off, some of the big companies pulled their Wireline trucks out of Alberta and us as a smaller company have been flat out all year. I've had 5 days off in the last 30.

Boat is owned 3 ways (family), all papers in my name. Payments are small when split and we've been flipping for quite a few years.

The parked in driveway was a shear laziness factor, been meaning to put it in the brothers business' yard (covered shed in back) but between work and procrastination it didn't happen. Thing was locked with a Explosive Lock and they cut that. :eek:

Boat is a 2014 23 LSV Wakesetter and has the LSA Supercharged motor, Wizards owner had ordered it but never rode it so we bought it when the last boat sold.

OK, my inner conspiracy theorist is off mumbling in the corner. :rofl:

I hope this gets recovered quickly for you with no damage. But if the lock was cut off, then someone was more than likely targeting it, and was waiting for the opportunity.

Does anyone in your neighborhood have security cameras that you know of? Maybe ask them if they can review their footage of that timeframe and see if you can get a description of the tow vehicle.

Mitsu3000gt
12-21-2016, 04:28 PM

It was the 23', no surprises :) Looks just like our 23 LSV for the most part (minus the green). The photo makes it look even smaller.

OP have you canvassed neighbors who might have cameras pointing toward your house?

Rocket1k78
12-21-2016, 04:33 PM

0 to degen instantly. :bigpimp:

BAHAHAHA Owned

Incorrect :D People were saying this was 21' at most and my bet was it was over 21'.

Now back on topic, can you post gas receipts of you up north to debunk spikers :rofl:

Joking aside hopefully you get this back. Gotta be pretty ballsy to risk pulling that thing around

riander5
12-21-2016, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by killramos

http://www.boulderboats.com/financeapp.asp

http://i.imgur.com/VEY7yxr.gif

GL to OP on finding the boat, hope its properly insured.

Well I'll be damned. Time to pips few kids out, buy a boat and an rv, and camp 2 weeks a year but post on FB and insta like I do it every weekend. YEEHAWWW

Sdeibert
12-21-2016, 07:58 PM

It was the 23', no surprises :) Looks just like our 23 LSV for the most part (minus the green). The photo makes it look even smaller.

OP have you canvassed neighbors who might have cameras pointing toward your house?

I did talk to one today, my two on my sides are older couples and didn't see anything. But the corner one said he came home at 5 and it was gone, so that leaves a window of 3:10-5:00pm. :nut: what a time to steal something that large!

Sdeibert
12-21-2016, 08:02 PM

Incorrect :D People were saying this was 21' at most and my bet was it was over 21'.

Now back on topic, can you post gas receipts of you up north to debunk spikers

Oh damn my bad lol, read that completely wrong!

I have a receipt from Peace River Walmart, gotta get my Dr Pepper fix!

Buster
12-21-2016, 08:22 PM
Guys, they caught the perps.

http://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2013128/1024.oceans11.ls.22813.jpg

spikerS
12-21-2016, 08:57 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Env-Consultant
12-22-2016, 11:41 AM

I did talk to one today, my two on my sides are older couples and didn't see anything. But the corner one said he came home at 5 and it was gone, so that leaves a window of 3:10-5:00pm. :nut: what a time to steal something that large!

Keep us updated - I'm really curious to find out whether or not you get your boat back. There was a vehicle pulling a giant green boat with bright green trailer rims in December, in Red Deer, during rush hour - there has to be some decent CCTV footage... finding the location is the hard part.

Mitsu3000gt
12-22-2016, 11:47 AM

...24' and up is my guess...

You then changed it to over 21' after reading everyone else's posts :)

I think Malibu only makes one or two boats over 23'. Their 21' and 23' are the volume sellers. Phenomenal boats, but they have got even more expensive. I can't imagine buying one new at $150K for what amounts to a fiber glass shell, a cheap american V8, and carpet/vinyl covering the raw fiberglass haha. I know I'm oversimplifying it a bit but man they are expensive for what you get. Maybe I don't appreciate how much fiberglass work goes into it or something.

RealJimmyJames
12-22-2016, 12:20 PM
you are buying it for the mad pussy you'll pull with it.

Rocket1k78
12-22-2016, 12:27 PM

You then changed it to over 21' after reading everyone else's posts :)

Everyone was adamant this was 21 and under:dunno: so thats why i made it that and last i checked 23' is closer to 24' no?
It was a fun bet that no one took so no need to get your panties bunched up :poosie:

Hope it all works out OP!

Mitsu3000gt
12-22-2016, 02:46 PM

Everyone was adamant this was 21 and under:dunno: so thats why i made it that and last i checked 23' is closer to 24' no?
It was a fun bet that no one took so no need to get your panties bunched up :poosie:

Hope it all works out OP!

I said 21-23' tops not 21 or under. Anyways I'm just busting your balls because I'm bored haha I don't actually care. :thumbsup:

carson blocks
12-22-2016, 10:00 PM

a fiber glass shell, a cheap american V8, and carpet/vinyl covering the raw fiberglass haha. I know I'm oversimplifying it a bit but man they are expensive for what you get. Maybe I don't appreciate how much fiberglass work goes into it or something.

I can't defend boats, but just on the engine alone you're missing a lot. That 'cheap american v8' you mentioned, the LSA in OP's boat, is around 20k cdn for the auto version, closer to 30k for the marine version, and that's just an engine, no engine management, drive, watercooled manifolds, or marine starter, alternator, electronics etc. that's at least triple the cost of the automotive versions. I have no idea what you're missing on the rest of the boat, but when you look at the $$$ boats up close, it's obvious there was some money spent in building them, unlike your average $30k family boat. Now I don't think they're worth $150k, but I'm just salty as I hate my boat with a passion. Over $10k maintenance and repairs for 2 hours fun makes me want to take up a cheaper hobby like just setting hundred dollar bills on fire, at least I wouldn't have to drive to a crowded lake to do that.

The_Rural_Juror
12-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Since this for derailed. I want to know what the giant forks stuck to the boat are for. Does OP own a giant buffet restaurant?

ercchry
12-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
Since this for derailed. I want to know what the giant forks stuck to the boat are for. Does OP own a giant buffet restaurant?

Not sure if serious.... but easily one of the most practical accessories you can get. They keep all your toys up and out of the way

Masked Bandit
12-23-2016, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks

I can't defend boats, but just on the engine alone you're missing a lot. That 'cheap american v8' you mentioned, the LSA in OP's boat, is around 20k cdn for the auto version, closer to 30k for the marine version, and that's just an engine, no engine management, drive, watercooled manifolds, or marine starter, alternator, electronics etc. that's at least triple the cost of the automotive versions. I have no idea what you're missing on the rest of the boat, but when you look at the $$$ boats up close, it's obvious there was some money spent in building them, unlike your average $30k family boat. Now I don't think they're worth $150k, but I'm just salty as I hate my boat with a passion. Over $10k maintenance and repairs for 2 hours fun makes me want to take up a cheaper hobby like just setting hundred dollar bills on fire, at least I wouldn't have to drive to a crowded lake to do that.

Every time I start thinking "hey, I should buy a boat", I follow that thought with "hey, I should ask Carson Blocks first", and then the idea dies. You are my source of reason when it comes to boats my friend, and my wallet thanks you!

R-Audi
12-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Over $10k maintenance and repairs for 2 hours fun makes me want to take up a cheaper hobby like just setting hundred dollar bills on fire, at least I wouldn't have to drive to a crowded lake to do that.

What kind of boat do you have? Sounds like a terrible experience.

My family has a Supra Launch, and its been pretty bulletproof since new. (Its an 2008 I believe) Regular oil changes/winterization... only issue have been ballast and wake plate items, both of which were small. Biggest cost is winter storage and gas...

ercchry
12-23-2016, 10:56 AM
^^i think he hit a rock or something

R-Audi
12-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Well yeah, that would suck. Cant blame the boat for that one unfortunately.

Sdeibert
12-23-2016, 02:03 PM
Quick update, it was apparently seen travelling to Edmnton QE2 on Wednesday. Info was from the Facebook page red deer stolen goods page, so not sure how solid the info is but the boat should be obvious if seen.

TomcoPDR
12-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Every time I start thinking "hey, I should buy a boat", I follow that thought with "hey, I should ask Carson Blocks first", and then the idea dies. You are my source of reason when it comes to boats my friend, and my wallet thanks you!

Got coworker from Vancouver with a personal 20-24' he says he agrees with the sentence. The happiest 2 days owning a boat is: day you buy it, and day you sell.

btimbit
12-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Got coworker from Vancouver with a personal 20-24' he says he agrees with the sentence. The happiest 2 days owning a boat is: day you buy it, and day you sell.

Yup. You never want to be the guy with a boat, you want to be the guy who's friends has a boat.

carson blocks
12-23-2016, 05:54 PM
^^i think he hit a rock or something

That was definitely part of it. Bought a reasonably priced ($8k-ish?) 8 year old boat in '14 from a reputable dealer. Was assured all the $$$ maintenance had been done, took it out once for a couple hours and had nothing but problems. About $5k later the boat was actually reliable and worked properly. Another $2k fixed minor shit like the rotted trailer tires, replace broken stereo, misc odds and ends. Took it out once in '15, made it halfway down ghost lake and found an unmarked rock bar way out closer to the middle than I would have expected. Needed a new leg, prop etc. Quoted over $10k to fix it, managed to do it a bit cheaper by finding some parts myself. Then you add in $1-2k per year for all the storage, winterizations, dewinterizations, etc. and new pumps every couple years and my hourly cost is a very large number. So yeah, fuck boats. It's in good shape but apparently boating isn't for me. I'll sell it in the spring and some lucky bastard can get a boat with a new everything for cheap, I'm done. I'll probably get a tin bastard with an outboard for fishing, something I can store in my yard and fix with a hammer and caulking gun.

JfuckinC
12-23-2016, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Yup. You never want to be the guy with a boat, you want to be the guy who's friends has a boat.

haha being the beer/gas guy is way easier. ive been both sides of that deal :banghead:

Buster
12-23-2016, 06:30 PM

That was definitely part of it. Bought a reasonably priced ($8k-ish?) 8 year old boat in '14 from a reputable dealer. Was assured all the $$$ maintenance had been done, took it out once for a couple hours and had nothing but problems. About $5k later the boat was actually reliable and worked properly. Another $2k fixed minor shit like the rotted trailer tires, replace broken stereo, misc odds and ends. Took it out once in '15, made it halfway down ghost lake and found an unmarked rock bar way out closer to the middle than I would have expected. Needed a new leg, prop etc. Quoted over $10k to fix it, managed to do it a bit cheaper by finding some parts myself. Then you add in $1-2k per year for all the storage, winterizations, dewinterizations, etc. and new pumps every couple years and my hourly cost is a very large number. So yeah, fuck boats. It's in good shape but apparently boating isn't for me. I'll sell it in the spring and some lucky bastard can get a boat with a new everything for cheap, I'm done. I'll probably get a tin bastard with an outboard for fishing, something I can store in my yard and fix with a hammer and caulking gun.

Check with SpikerS, I think he has a better solution than selling at a loss.

baygirl
12-23-2016, 07:24 PM
I want to know if OP has move over written across his windshield.

craigcd
12-23-2016, 07:50 PM

Not far off from owning a trailer really..... maintenance, insurance, storage, truck to tow, gas and camping fees. Cheaper to stay in a hotel and no hassle.

Edit- dont forget usable for 4 months a year and typically the weather sucks even in those 4 haha

Dont get me wrong I have owned several and likely will own again :banghead:

ExtraSlow
12-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Camping trailer is a bad investment, but boats are next level pain.

ercchry
12-23-2016, 09:31 PM
You don't need to drop big money to get out in the lake... just like cars it's whatever you want to make it. $150k wake boat is probably similar to owning a $150k summer car

Buy a little whaler or tin can with a 30-50hp outboard, park it in your yard and just flush the bottom end with fresh gear oil, spray some engine storage spray in the cylinders and stabilize the fuel... done. Probably 10yrs of problem free boating

Buster
12-23-2016, 10:23 PM
From what I can tell, lake boats are an even bigger cock-measuring contest than cars.

J.M.
12-23-2016, 10:40 PM
From what I can tell, lake boats are an even bigger cock-measuring contest than cars.

:rofl:

Darell_n
12-23-2016, 10:48 PM
Expensive lake boats in Alberta are like mountain snowmobiles in Florida.

roll_over
12-23-2016, 11:00 PM
You don't need to drop big money to get out in the lake... just like cars it's whatever you want to make it. $150k wake boat is probably similar to owning a $150k summer car

You need $ to buy a 150k summer car, you can’t finance that shit over 240 months. If you could then I definitely would.

ercchry
12-24-2016, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by roll_over

You need $ to buy a 150k summer car, you can’t finance that shit over 240 months. If you could then I definitely would.

I'm not talking the actual price of the toys, I'm talking about ownership costs like storage, and maintenance/repairs

When you have assets you can also pay for your shit over an infinite term if you want, heloc interest only payments :rofl:

carson blocks
12-26-2016, 02:33 PM
Buy a little whaler or tin can with a 30-50hp outboard, park it in your yard and just flush the bottom end with fresh gear oil, spray some engine storage spray in the cylinders and stabilize the fuel... done. Probably 10yrs of problem free boating

I'll try this next time. For some reason, I had to have a 190hp inboard/outdrive to pull toys (which I've never done once).

CMW403
12-26-2016, 05:21 PM

Either he's alive, or he's dead. Or the cops got him, or they didn't.

ExtraSlow
12-26-2016, 06:06 PM
schrodingers boat.

asp integra
12-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Its so funny to see so many boat haters on beyond. Personally, I plan on buying a used 20 foot V drive ski/surf/wake boat as soon as I can make it work. There is no better time in the summer than being out on the lake!

To the OP, any luck in finding the boat so far? Hope you get it back soon

Ldeibert
12-27-2016, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
Its so funny to see so many boat haters on beyond. Personally, I plan on buying a used 20 foot V drive ski/surf/wake boat as soon as I can make it work. There is no better time in the summer than being out on the lake!

To the OP, any luck in finding the boat so far? Hope you get it back soon

I'm one of the 3 partners in this boat and I agree.. haha. It is very funny to see beyond hating on a boat.

We pay $266 a month each and this is the 4th boat we have had in 7 years. We have never made lots on a boat but we have also never lost more than a few thousand. Boats actually appreciate, a Malibu 23LSV was $60k new back in 2005 and now it's 140-160k to get a new one (although our dollar sucking has a big effect on that). I have friends who spend more money taking their families skiing in the winter than we spend enjoying our boat for ~30 days a summer.

I've lost much more on fun cars and they get parked at the same time the boat does. The best part about the boat is that all three of our families fit on this boat at the same time and we all get to enjoy it together.

No word on the boat yet, insurance company said they will give it 30 days.

I would recommend MB Sports as a used V-drive. We had a B-52 as our first boat and loved it. Didn't cost us a penny in the 2 years we owned it.

carson blocks
12-27-2016, 05:16 PM
A big part of the boat hate is from guys like myself who go out once or twice a year. I love boats and love the water, but just don't get out for a multitude of reasons. The boat drains damn near the same amount of money whether you use it or not, and often whether it's a nice boat like yours or an old one like mine. We probably pay about the same to get our sea water impeller changed every two years, but yours is amortized over 4 guys going out all the time and using the hell out of it, and mine is over 2 trips out. Same goes for all other maintenance, storage, winterizing, etc. You guys are doing it right and getting your moneys worth, which is more than can be said for most of us Albertans with boats.

Rocket1k78
12-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Im with carson blocks, The first year we got out lots but by year 2 and 3 the novelty wore off fast and i was pretty fed up with my buddies who thought buying lunch/beers was fair compensation for me doing everything else. I'll admit i had no idea what it took to own a boat, all i saw was the picture the dealer painted lol The storage, winterization wasnt too bad but what really killed me was the clean up afterwards. I was beat from being out all day then having to tow it home and clean it out by myself really sucked.

cycosis
12-27-2016, 05:50 PM
I dont get why more people dont just rent. I did that this summer. $800 plus gas for 8 hours out on Kelowna lake. Drove up at 9am, boat was in the water ready to go. Drop it off at 5pm, dont need to clean, maintain or store anything!

ercchry
12-27-2016, 07:49 PM
A big part of the boat hate is from guys like myself who go out once or twice a year. I love boats and love the water, but just don't get out for a multitude of reasons. The boat drains damn near the same amount of money whether you use it or not, and often whether it's a nice boat like yours or an old one like mine. We probably pay about the same to get our sea water impeller changed every two years, but yours is amortized over 4 guys going out all the time and using the hell out of it, and mine is over 2 trips out. Same goes for all other maintenance, storage, winterizing, etc. You guys are doing it right and getting your moneys worth, which is more than can be said for most of us Albertans with boats.

You keep bring up this sea water impeller? What's the deal with that? You tossing this boat in the ocean or something? Our stern drive glasstron doesn't have this as a service item

carson blocks
12-27-2016, 09:09 PM

You keep bring up this sea water impeller? What's the deal with that? You tossing this boat in the ocean or something? Our stern drive glasstron doesn't have this as a service item

It's in the leg and drives the lake water up towards the engine water pump, exhaust manifolds, and wherever else. Apparently you're supposed to replace it every 2 years or the rubber impeller hardens. I was told it's a commonly overlooked maintenance item that most owners don't bother with until they overheat the engine. That, or the boat shop is fucking me, that is what boat shops do after all.

ercchry
12-27-2016, 09:30 PM
Yeah 2 years seems excessive in a climate where it's only seeing fresh water and is frozen half the year. But I mean you can't knock preventative maintenance

asp integra
12-30-2016, 11:22 AM
You should make a post on the Malibu forum www.themalibucrew.com and see if anyone has seen/heard of the boat

Sdeibert
12-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
You should make a post on the Malibu forum www.themalibucrew.com and see if anyone has seen/heard of the boat

:thumbsup: forgot to post there. Not a ton of alberta members but worth a shot

spikerS
12-30-2016, 04:46 PM

:thumbsup: forgot to post there. Not a ton of alberta members but worth a shot

IMHO, the boat isn't in Alberta any more or won't be for long. I figure if it hasn't been found by now, it's been a targeted theft by professionals. It is probably in a warehouse wrapped in white plastic while the heat dies down, and the trailer and rims are already painted and VIN numbers changed. Closer to spring when people start bringing boats out of storage, it will probably make it's way to BC, Ontario, or into the states.

I know you said the insurance company is giving it 30 days, but have they started talking numbers and such with you yet?

ercchry
12-30-2016, 04:58 PM
VIN number! :rofl:

It's getting a wrap, new hull number with bs paperwork and posted up for sale with a bs story about how the owner bought it last season and now lost their oil field job and have to sell, and the paperwork is still in previous owner's name cause it takes so damn long to register a boat

corsvette
12-30-2016, 07:03 PM

It's in the leg and drives the lake water up towards the engine water pump, exhaust manifolds, and wherever else. Apparently you're supposed to replace it every 2 years or the rubber impeller hardens. I was told it's a commonly overlooked maintenance item that most owners don't bother with until they overheat the engine. That, or the boat shop is fucking me, that is what boat shops do after all.

Absolutely, my Dad had this part fail on his boat. Overheated the big 502 V8 and blew the head gasket, very costly in the end. The boat was 5 yrs old when it went but only had ~60 hours on it.

Env-Consultant
12-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Purely out of curiosity, why were you planning on selling the boat 12 months ago?

https://www.dockindex.net/detail/ca/oLpzRpLPjzzjpROPpjPP/2014-Malibu-Wakesetter-23LSV-555hp]https://www.dockindex.net/detail/ca/oLpzRpLPjzzjpROPpjPP/2014-Malibu-Wakesetter-23LSV-555hp

I Googled Waksetter Red Deer and the first 7 photos are of the boat, but from a Kijiji ad - searching Google for the image brought up the dockindex ad.

Sdeibert
12-31-2016, 03:54 PM
Purely out of curiosity, why were you planning on selling the boat 12 months ago?

Yup for sale from the day I bought it, like I said before I've been flipping boats for the last 5 years. The ad was up till 2 days after it was stolen.

Insurance company hasn't talked any numbers or much of anything, they assigned a guy to it but he's in Ottawa. Has said several times he would email docs and send someone out but neither has happened, I'll talk to them this week if nothing happens on their end.

spikerS
12-31-2016, 04:26 PM
VIN number! :rofl:

TIL learned that boats don't have VIN numbers...but a HIN (Hull identification number) located on the transom... even inflatable kayaks and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MptxlMFLfSA

after checking out different sites and videos, I can see why boats get targeted for theft. Seems like it would be pretty easy to counterfeit the HIN, and with only a couple minutes of searching, i found multiple sites willing to sell blank tags and such to make your own...

ercchry
12-31-2016, 04:30 PM
Until recently when you got pulled over in a boat you didn't even need to have the paperwork for it on you :nut:

OneGreasyHobo
01-07-2017, 12:11 AM
Kinda rethinking career choices now.

Sdeibert
01-10-2017, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by OneGreasyHobo
Kinda rethinking career choices now.

:rofl: I'm typing this from the noralta camp in Zama City before I head out into the cold for another day of work.

Still thinking about it? :D

Redlyne_mr2
01-10-2017, 10:05 AM
OP is from Red Deer, lots of people here have boats because of Sylvan Lake. Its 10 minutes away so you can use it every day after work, weekends etc.